HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Cheer for Calgary Folks

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 01:42 AM
hillbillypriest

vCash: 500
Time to Cheer for Calgary Folks

Although I live in Calgary, I don't think I have to explain my die hard Oiler credentials to this Board. You gotta love the Canucks Flames series and you gotta love how the flames responded to the devastation of a tying goal in the last five seconds.

Got my team for the duration of the spring. Anybody else on board?

Old
04-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Walsher

No thanks.

I'll take any of the American teams now. As an Oilers fan I am sick of the Flames, Nucks, Sens, Leafs, and Canadians. Any American team winning is good with me. The American team with the most Canadian players would even be better.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Oilers Hockey

Nah. Now that that series is over I can hope Calgary loses again.

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for the Canucks. 32 years and counting! Man it was demoralizing when they sang that Goodbye song when the Oilers lost their last game, I'm glad they're out.

Alot good the division did eh?

And GO WINGS GO! I could never stomach cheering for the Flamers. I'd rather chew off my own arm and eat it.

Last edited by Oilers Hockey: 04-20-2004 at 02:00 AM.
Old
04-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
not me

yeah yeah good for calgary but i just hate them
i'll call my oiler pride

Old
04-20-2004, 01:49 AM
ToothlessAggression

Never, no matter who they play.

It's been Montreal since day one for me.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:49 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
and just watch me say "GO WINGS GO"

Old
04-20-2004, 01:52 AM
KlingonHockey

I wanted them to win. The Canucks were lucky to survive game 6, they looked like rag dolls out there by the end of the 2nd OT, while it appeared to me that Calgary had way more gas in the tank left. Still, they need to get eliminated in the 2nd round. I can't stand the thought of another Canadian team surpassing us.

Scary thought: Calgary winning the division within a few years.
Scary thought #2: Oilers finishing 9th in 2004-2005 and nagging "third line LW" #10 in the draft.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

I'm cheering hard for Montreal, followed by Ottawa. Calgary, I must admit, is starting to become more likeable. Can you imagine what a player like Iginla could do for the Oilers? A gamebreaker with superstar abilities... we haven't had that for a while...

Old
04-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'll jump on board, Hillbilly. This city has been absolutely electric. I went to game three and the Dome was insane. The Flamers have been amazing led by their elite sniper Iginla, top-notch goaltender, and a punishing defense. Great role players like Yelle, Gelinas, Nilssen, Niemenim are all chipping in. It's tough to eliminate my lifetime hate-on for the Flamers but this is a tough team built in the mold of its maker.

Look out Detroit.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Brynster

Uh.... No thanks

Thankfully THAT'S over with.

This was a great series, but sheer hell on the locals... tough to stomach.

But I'm glad Calgary won since I really dislike the arrogance of the Canucks and their fans. But now that the series is over... Oiler fans can go back to the good old days and start to cheer against the Flames again.

Ah yes, the World will once again start to revolve the way it should. Go Wings Go.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:06 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for the Canucks. 32 years and counting! Man it was demoralizing when they sang that Goodbye song when the Oilers lost their last game, I'm glad they're out.

And GO WINGS GO! I could never stomach cheering for the Flamers. I'd rather chew off my own arm and eat it.
I was thinking about Mike Keane and "it's over, go home", which he said in pretty similar circumstances when the Oilers came back against Dallas only to lose early in the improbable overtime. Hope he likes the feeling!

Old
04-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
Oiler fans can go back to the good old days and start to cheer against the Flames again.
'Back to the good old days'? Whaddya mean? Seeing the Flamers in the playoffs is relatively new for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
I was thinking about Mike Keane and "it's over, go home", which he said in pretty similar circumstances when the Oilers came back against Dallas only to lose early in the improbable overtime. Hope he likes the feeling!
Damn rights. I really hate him. What a loser, taunting the Oilers fans like that.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I should have added playing Detroit makes this an easy decision. I can't stand the self-defined 'Hockey Town' and its cast of millionaire players. Love Stevy Y but can't cheer for Big Dough Illitch and the Domino's delivery approach to buying a team. Take out order from Dallas, Mr. Illitch... and so on.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:32 AM
speeds

There's only 1 team I'm actively hoping loses, PHI of course.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:36 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan

Fair enough hemskyfan, but you are not allowed to call Flames fans "petty" for cheering against the Oilers.

I have no problem with Edmonton not cheering for the Flames... I can respect that. Just be consistant.

Old
04-20-2004, 02:42 AM
Oilers Hockey

I said nothing of that sort. I said the constant bashing of not only the Oilers but the fans and city because of the general inferiority complex from Flamers fans towards us, is crass, not if they cheered against us.

Misery loves company and I'm glad those Canucks are out with us. How good does it feel to be the 2004 Division Champs? Happy golfing, losers.

Last edited by Oilers Hockey: 04-20-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old
04-20-2004, 02:48 AM
Boondock Saint

First of all, living in Vancouver, you learn to hate the Canucks pretty quick. I couldn't have been happier to see Calgary take that game. I really like the group of players that Calgary has assembled.

However, I hope that Calgary now loses in 4. While I like them more than the Canucks (which isn't saying much), I can't stand that they are playing in the playoffs and we aren't.

I'm also excited in the directions these teams are taking. I hope that both teams continue to improve, and the BOA can really get rolling again.

I look forward to the day we knock the Flames off in the playoffs again.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Oi'll say!

Almost all of my best friends out here are Nux fans and I wish that I could cheer for them but I just can't for the life of me.

I've grown to respect what the Sedins can do, if they ever start bringing their "A" game on a more consistant basis they're a 1st line calibre duo. Naslund, Ohlund, Jovo, Sanderson, Morrison are fine players with tons of skill and passion and I should theoretically be able to like the team just fine.

It's mainly my hatred for Cooke & Ruutu that really drives me away, combined the total lack of conscience the fans feel for certain acts committed by their players and the way they flap their arms at everything else. The Canucks lost this game due to a heaping dose of Karma if you ask me. Cooke getting 4 mins and Jovo getting 2 mins for sticking people in the head in the last 7 mins of game 7 just about sums up my overall impression of the team.

My apologies to all the diehard sensible Nux fans who don't fall into this category, I know there are a lot of you and it's not fair to paint you all with the same brush. However, the overall sentiments echoed by the fans of the Nux were bordering on classless this season imo. Chanting hey-hey good-bye to the Oilers in the game we got eliminated was the last straw for me.

Anyways, the Flames needed this success more than the Nux and their cast of characters lacks the truly bad seed that I just can't stomach. I like Iggy and Marty, Leopold is fun to watch when he cranks it up, Conroy is in my hockey pool, that's enough reasons for me to hop on the bandwagon halfheartedly. I can't say go. And Flames in the same sentence but I'd like to see them knock off Detroit, that would be a hell of a riot. Stay away from my Avs though, I've got 4 in my hockey pool and baby needs a new pair o' shoes!

Old
04-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I hope that both teams continue to improve, and the BOA can really get rolling again.

I look forward to the day we knock the Flames off in the playoffs again.
Amen!

Old
04-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I despise the Nucks, but I hate their fans even more. I went crazy when Gelinas scored the ot winner. Vancouver does not deserve to advance, and their fans dont deserve the glory.

I will jump on the band-wagon, and hope to see a CGY/SJ Conference Final with Kipper stealing the show. Then I want Calgary to lose to Montreal in the finals. But Vancouver is done, so that's like a Stanley Cup ring for me.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:08 AM
mudcrutch79

Someone said it best in a post above mine, but I have no problem cheering for Calgary. Much as people might hate to admit it, they have many of the same qualities that the Oilers do that I think draws people who aren't generally Oiler fans into watching the Oilers and rooting for them each year in the playoffs. They don't have any players on their team that you don't want to root for, their coach/GM seems like a likable guy, and their fans honestly seemed happy to be there, and there was none of this arrogance that seems to pervade the Canucks. Canucks and Leafs fans/management are just unreal in this department, especially considering that they're a combined 67 years without a Cup (68 if you count tonight's TO loss).

So I for one, am on the bandwagon. I do have a problem though. I think Cujo getting his Cup would really stick it to TO fans and management, and I think I hate them more than I like Calgary. So, in the end, Go Wings, but thanks Flames for sticking it to Vancouver, and in particular guys like Crawford, Burke and Mike Keane.

(Oh and Mike? "Go home. It's over." And by that I mean your career.)

Old
04-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Mr Sakich

I live in Cowtown and have grudgingly come to respect the Flamers. It is hard to hate a team that works hard, is gratefull to be there, and has Iggy as a captain. It is very easy to cheer for them when they are playing the Nucks.

I think they will lose in 4 to the Wings but it has been fun.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Slats432

I have been a Habs fan longer than an Oilers fan but suppose that in my time living in Championsville has brought me closer to the Oilers. I will cheer Blue, Blanc et Rouge the rest of the way, cheer against Calgary, and Toronto with all my heart because Calgary is the anti-thesis of Edmonton and unless you are too young to remember the Battle of Alberta, you hate the Flames, you despise the Flames and wish nasty evil things on the Flames.

They didn't want Edmonton to make the playoffs and they giggled like teenage school girls at a Ricky Martin concert when we didn't make it. They laughed at us when we were spiraled downward after the Heritage Classic. They cheered heartily against us, when it meant nothing to their team. They hate us. I won't cheer for them if it means the New York Rangers win 10 cups in a row with a 250 million dollar payroll. I would rather see Darcy Tucker as the Conn Smyth Trophy winner than see Calgary win another round. I would rather see Mike Comrie given the key to the City of Phoenix than see Calgary win the Cup.

(Nothing personal Flames Fans )

Old
04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Whitenoise

Think about the beast that could be created if Calgary made it into the 3rd round and beyond. We would never, ever hear the end of it. I am surprised at how soft so many Oil fans have grown towards their provincial rivals. It makes me want to barf.

Let's go Wings, the Flames are ripe for the picking after their grueling series with Vancouver. Wings in five, baby.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:52 AM
mudcrutch79

I don't know, I think that this sort of thing is good for the rivalry. Someone said that they don't want Calgary moving on because it will make their fans cocky. I hope they're cocky, it'd give me a real reason to hate them. This kind of reminds of what some guy (not sure who) said about the BoSox-Yankees rivalry-What rivalry? Boston never wins anything. This rivalry was at risk of having that problem, so I'm glad that the Flames finally have something to point to.

Although I still think that if Edmonton and Calgary played today, Edmonton would win the series in 6...

Closed Thread