HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Cheer for Calgary Folks

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
it'd give me a real reason to hate them..
I already have one.

Last edited by Slats432: 04-25-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old
04-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Doug Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I have been a Habs fan longer than an Oilers fan but suppose that in my time living in Championsville has brought me closer to the Oilers. I will cheer Blue, Blanc et Rouge the rest of the way, cheer against Calgary, and Toronto with all my heart because Calgary is the anti-thesis of Edmonton and unless you are too young to remember the Battle of Alberta, you hate the Flames, you despise the Flames and wish nasty evil things on the Flames.

They didn't want Edmonton to make the playoffs and they giggled like teenage school girls at a Ricky Martin concert when we didn't make it. They laughed at us when we were spiraled downward after the Heritage Classic. They cheered heartily against us, when it meant nothing to their team. They hate us. I won't cheer for them if it means the New York Rangers win 10 cups in a row with a 250 million dollar payroll. I would rather see Darcy Tucker as the Conn Smyth Trophy winner than see Calgary win another round. I would rather see Mike Comrie given the key to the City of Phoenix than see Calgary win the Cup.

(Nothing personal Flames Fans )
What he said.

My head says it's true that it's nearly impossible not to like Iggy. The man really is the quintessential Canadian hockey player (I stole that from someone on TV last night). I can't wait to see him suit up for Canada again. It's also hard not to respect what the Flames have done this year.

My heart, on the other hand, says the bad blood just runs way too deep. I'm an Oilers fan who hates the Flames. That is the natural order of things. As an Oilers fan this is a really hard time to live in Calgary. The Flames bandwagon is pretty crowded with people who were barely even aware Calgary had an NHL team. I guess that's fine and I'm sure it happens in Edmonton too, but it's hard to handle nonetheless.

What if Calgary went all the way? How would you feel then? I don't even want to think about it. Go Stevie Y Go.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Seachd

I just moved to Calgary, but I can't bring myself to cheer for them. As BEL said, the city is electric, but at the same time, for an Oiler fan like me, nauseating. I don't hate the Flames, and maybe if the Oilers had made the playoffs, I'd be feeling a little differently, but for now, I don't want them to win.

Ottawa and Montreal would be my Canadian picks from now on. Besides, I don't think Calgary has much of a chance against Detroit. I sincerely hope they don't prove me wrong.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:14 AM
IceDragoon

I made a BIG mistake during the regular season.
I cheered for Calgary to beat Nashville. (and of course, they didn't )
Admittedly, I gagged on it and coughed it out like a furball.
But, as a card carrying member of the ABC club (since well before '86), I broke the cardinal rule and must be penitent till the Oilers play again.

IOW

Not a chance in H-E-double-hockey-sticks.

Some Flames' (and Canucks') fans are top drawer.
And, I may have a grudging respect for a few players, etc...
But, that crest on the front of the jersey completely adjusts my focus.

Before the Canuck series, I said that I would:
1) cheer for the teams to pound on each other,
and...
2) hope for the team that didn't lose to have an early exit in the second round.
It was an entertaining series, as the teams gave me what I wanted.
I yelled out loud at every hit and cheered/jeered with a 'goals against' perspective.
I yelled a lot.

I (half-heartedly) cheered for Detroit before the Oilers existed.
I can (half-heartedly) cheer for them again.
Go Wings Go!!!

btw - I too, lived in Calgary.
'86 - '96

Old
04-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I have been a Habs fan longer than an Oilers fan but suppose that in my time living in Championsville has brought me closer to the Oilers. I will cheer Blue, Blanc et Rouge the rest of the way, cheer against Calgary, and Toronto with all my heart because Calgary is the anti-thesis of Edmonton and unless you are too young to remember the Battle of Alberta, you hate the Flames, you despise the Flames and wish nasty evil things on the Flames.

They didn't want Edmonton to make the playoffs and they giggled like teenage school girls at a Ricky Martin concert when we didn't make it. They laughed at us when we were spiraled downward after the Heritage Classic. They cheered heartily against us, when it meant nothing to their team. They hate us. I won't cheer for them if it means the New York Rangers win 10 cups in a row with a 250 million dollar payroll. I would rather see Darcy Tucker as the Conn Smyth Trophy winner than see Calgary win another round. I would rather see Mike Comrie given the key to the City of Phoenix than see Calgary win the Cup.

(Nothing personal Flames Fans )

A - FRIGGEN - MEN!!!

Do you honestly think that Calgary cheered for the Oilers when we were losing to Dallas? They hate us as much as I hate them. I respect the Flames for what they have accomplished and was tickled to see the Hearts of Canucks fans stomped in OT after a glorious goal in the dieing seconds of the third(nananana nananana heeeyeyeyey goodbye). However, GO WINGS GO!! Hey Stevie Yzerman is Canadian...

Old
04-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Italian Oiler

Send a message via ICQ to Italian Oiler Send a message via MSN to Italian Oiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for the Canucks. 32 years and counting!
I thought it was 34 years... am I wrong?

Old
04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
mudcrutch79

Actually, he has his American citizenship...while he hasn't renounced his Canadian citizenship, he is in fact American.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Obsessed

Damn,

How about Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper helping Canada win gold last year?

Old
04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

Even though Flames fans NEVER cheer for Edmonton

In any shape and form.

I am still hoping Calgary wins. Vancouver fans are downright the rudest at Skyreach centre so I was cheering for Calgary and I will continue to cheer for the Flames. I used to like the Canucks but their fans have completely turned me against anything Canuck.

Calgary showed great grit and heart winning that series.

I have no reason to hate Calgary, and will vote for them against the overpaid Detroit Red Wings.

Go Ottawa as well.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Superfluous U

That series went perfectly. 7 games of quality hockey where the Canucks lost a heartbreaker. Absolutely perfect. Especially since now Calgary is pretty beat up and should lose to Detroit. I'll say the same thing I said when Vancouver fans I know asked me why I was cheering for the Flames. My hate for the Flames is more historical. Based on recent history, it would be easy to be sympathetic to them if they weren't the Flames. My hatred for the Canucks is a living, breathing, personal hatred. I hate the Flames on principle, for who they were in the 80s. I hate the Canucks for who they are today. I still hate them both though, and I hope the Flames get swept against Detroit.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Anybody else on board?
HBP, you're one of my favourite posters on this board, but I think you are a victim of your environment. Next you will be encouraging us to change lanes without signalling, take up smoking, skin boxes of kittens, and eat babies.

Let's get a few things straight: if alien invaders came to Earth prepared to conquer and enslave the human race-provided they could beat Earth's best team in a game of hockey, and that team was the Flames-like all good Oiler fans, I would cheer for the aliens.

The Flames won the season series, one reason the Oilers didn't make the playoffs. Flames fans delight in our misfortune-interprovincial schadenfreude. The Flames won in '86 on a stroke of bad luck that must never be forgiven or forgotten.

In short, we are Oilers fans, hockey fundamentalists, and are in a state of permanent Jihad against the Calgary Flames!

Old
04-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Slats432

I mean, isn't watching the Flames do well like seeing the guy that stole your girlfriend win the lottery?

Old
04-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Loweball

I will NEVER cheer for the Flames.

I am going for Toronto (or Ottawa if they move on) and Colorado.

Old
04-20-2004, 05:55 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
In any shape and form.

I am still hoping Calgary wins. Vancouver fans are downright the rudest at Skyreach centre so I was cheering for Calgary and I will continue to cheer for the Flames. I used to like the Canucks but their fans have completely turned me against anything Canuck.

Calgary showed great grit and heart winning that series.

I have no reason to hate Calgary, and will vote for them against the overpaid Detroit Red Wings.

Go Ottawa as well.
not sure that's always true (about Flames fans never cheering for EDM)...I lived in EDM circa 92-95 (the lean years I guess) and went to Northlands quite a bit to get my NHL fix, and support the Oilers when they were down and out a little bit. I then moved to Winnipeg from 96-00 around the time when the Flames were starting to fall apart and the Oilers were competing hard in the playoffs. I rooted for the Edmonton team I had watched grow from 92-95....I suspect that's what some of the Calgary based Oilers fans might be doing now

don't get me wrong, I look very forward to a day when both EDM and CGY are playoff constants and I can get back to hating the Oilers with every bone in my body (although I'll admit I didn't mind seeing EDM miss this one time ) but for now I think I can understand the people who root for the Western Canadian that is left....mind you I also understand and respect the people who say they can't or won't cheer for CGY under any circumstance

Old
04-20-2004, 06:43 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Let's get a few things straight: if alien invaders came to Earth prepared to conquer and enslave the human race-provided they could beat Earth's best team in a game of hockey, and that team was the Flames-like all good Oiler fans, I would cheer for the aliens.
This perfectly describes my feeling on the issue. They beat the 'Nucks.. fine. I hate that team on thesame level as the Flames (and personally I think we would have taken these Nucks in 6).

But now.... go Detroit. (Although I doubt they'll need much luck)

Old
04-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Oi'll say!

I've been a diehard hockey fan since about 1973 and was as much a Flame hater as anyone on earth during the '80's. However, my hatred dissipated somewhat when cheering against the Flames meant cheering for them to lose their team. I cheer hard for all of our small market cousins to make it.

My crap list is now full of teams like StL and the Rag$ who have been driving the small market teams into oblivion with their fat wallets. If the NYR's had any success at all with their cash crazy style it would just reinforce the notion that buying good players was the best way to do business.

Like some others have said I'll hate the Flames plenty when they're standing in our way but right now neither team is considered much of an obstacle in this league. Maybe if I was living near Cal with a bunch of obnoxious Flames fans in my face all the time my hatred would have survived, but my biggest pet peeve is
" Yay, that #26 guy scored again, the Canucks are the best team in the world. Your team sucks."

Old
04-20-2004, 10:15 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
HBP, you're one of my favourite posters on this board, but I think you are a victim of your environment. Next you will be encouraging us to change lanes without signalling, take up smoking, skin boxes of kittens, and eat babies.
I believe you are right about being a victim of my environment. I was discussing this recently with my wife. She questionned me about why I wouldn't cheer for the flames. This was a puzzling question. Apart from being married to a Calgarian, the father to two kids that were both born here, living here for 17 years, what possible connection could I have that would cause me to cheer for them? (Actually, it took me a while to think of those things).

In the end, it comes down to loving Iginla (good Edm connection), hating Mike Keane (never forgive that jerk), and hating Vancouver fans (nah nah goodbye - hope you have a long wet summer). Anyway, Flame playoff runs don't come around that often!

Sure makes you wish the Oilers made it though. Incredible playoffs so far. Reminds me what a great game this is.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Mizral

I'd like to think I was a part of many of you rooting for the Flames.

Or am I that delusional?

Old
04-21-2004, 01:33 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Got my team for the duration of the spring. Anybody else on board?
I can't cheer for the Flames. Not possible. At one point a few years ago I thought about what it would be like if they made the playoffs, and I thought it might be possible to cheer for them. But it turns out I was wrong.

I respect what they're doing and think its great for the fans (so many of them undeserving). Its great for Alberta and Canada. Many players and performances I certainly admire. But I can't cheer for them. Its a little like the feeling you get when you hit black ice and neither steering nor braking alters the slow inevitable slide into a snow bank. The Flames are sliding through the playoffs. I'm a passenger along for the ride but since there's nothing I can do about it what will happen will happen and I'm just watching it unfold.

That said, I can't cheer for the Wings either.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
Actually, he has his American citizenship...while he hasn't renounced his Canadian citizenship, he is in fact American.
If you are talking about Yzerman and dual citizenship, if you want to know which way he leans this picture from the 2002 Olympics might help....

Last edited by Slats432: 04-25-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old
04-21-2004, 02:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

In a perfect world

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
not sure that's always true (about Flames fans never cheering for EDM)...I lived in EDM circa 92-95 (the lean years I guess) and went to Northlands quite a bit to get my NHL fix, and support the Oilers when they were down and out a little bit. I then moved to Winnipeg from 96-00 around the time when the Flames were starting to fall apart and the Oilers were competing hard in the playoffs. I rooted for the Edmonton team I had watched grow from 92-95....I suspect that's what some of the Calgary based Oilers fans might be doing now

don't get me wrong, I look very forward to a day when both EDM and CGY are playoff constants and I can get back to hating the Oilers with every bone in my body (although I'll admit I didn't mind seeing EDM miss this one time ) but for now I think I can understand the people who root for the Western Canadian that is left....mind you I also understand and respect the people who say they can't or won't cheer for CGY under any circumstance
Both Edmonton and Calgary are good teams and are battling it out. Of course then I hate the Flames and enjoy the battle of Alberta.

But I can't bring myself to hate a team with a few ex-Oilers and a lot of Edmonton area talent and is a blue-collar team.

I think they might have expended all their energy against Vancouver and may not have a lot left for Detroit but Kiprosoff could steal a few games. Should be a good series.

Old
04-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Obsessed

This sums up how I feel

Last edited by Obsessed: 04-28-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Old
04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Oilers Hockey

Whoa!

Old
04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i like it

Old
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Oilhitch

I lived in Calgary for a few years myself. I still have close friends there and have talked about this over many.......many beers

My pals that still reside in Cowgary claim that when the Oilers make the playoffs they will "reluctaltly" cheer for the Oilers to do well in the playoffs because they are an Albertan team. Having said that they would NEVER admit that to other Flame fans.

I would like the Flames do well, but I DO NOT WANT THEM TO WIN THE CUP.

Could you imagine

We would never hear the end of it :devil:

Closed Thread