HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Seguin vs. Fowler

Old
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Sadist

vCash: 500
Once again, someone disagrees with you and they are accused of not seeing someone play. Is that the only argument you have? Czarnik is a 3rd round NHL pick. I would say that makes him rated. How he ever got drafted that high is beyond me. I am not saying he has to play super physical, but he could do something out there besides float around waiting for someone else to get the puck. Its funny cause Chris Terry was twice the player Czarnik is, and he was drafted 2 rounds later by the NHL. Czarnik has bust written all over him.

Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadist View Post
Once again, someone disagrees with you and they are accused of not seeing someone play.
If someone comes in here and talks about how Pavel Bure's bread and butter was a tight defensive game, or talks about Ovechkin's weakness being an unwillingness to play with physicality or that he shows no emotion, yeah, I'm going to say that that person has never seen them play. And you've either never seen Czarnik and Seguin play, or you don't have any idea what you're watching.

KL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Sadist

Well we can meet up at the game tonight then. You can buy me a beer and apologize for saying I haven't seen them play.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadist View Post
Well we can meet up at the game tonight then. You can buy me a beer and apologize for saying I haven't seen them play.
LOL. Literally. I actually laughed out loud...

Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
LOL. Literally. I actually laughed out loud...
If you saw how the whole thing played out, you wouldn't be laughing.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Sadist

Thanks Shawn, I thought it was funny anyway. Never got that beer or apology, but I did see Seguin continue to show why he is so highly rated for the upcoming draft. A goal and 2 assists and a good all around game. He figured in on all the Whalers scoring and made a nice pass to set Jenks up for the game winner. I put Seguin ahead of Fowler any day, but I guess it depends on what position a team is drafting for.

Old
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Andrew Sykes

Definitely depends on the team but as much as I love Seguin's game, I think teams these days covet a good puck moving d-man more than a guy like Seguin. With his performance at the WJC, Fowler's stock has to be on the rise.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I absolutely love the way that Cam Fowler plays hockey, but given the Oilers' situation I have to say Seguin.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Andrew Sykes

While I don't agree that Seguin "Isn't in Hall's or Fowler's league" because I feel that he very much is in their league, but you are right about why at one point Central Scouting moved Seguin ahead of Hall. They might not have done it to sell magazines but I do think that there was very much a purpose to it. The NHL wants to build excitement and one way to do that is to create excitement for the NHL draft and the upcoming prospects. They don't want there to be one runaway player that will go #1 because then everyone would lose interest in the NHL draft. When they ranked Seguin ahead of Hall it guranteed that all everyone will talk about is who will go #1, and so that it will appear to be up in the air right up to draft day.

Last edited by Andrew Sykes: 01-12-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:28 AM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
Tyler Seguin is a solid prospect, but the only people that are actually trying to say Seguin has #1 status are the folks who are trying to sell subscriptions for their sites/magazines.

While I don't agree that Seguin "Isn't in Hall's or Fowler's league" because I feel that he very much is in their league, but you are right about why at one point Central Scouting moved Seguin ahead of Hall. They might not have done it to sell magazines but I do think that there was very much a purpose to it. The NHL wants to build excitement and one way to do that is to create excitement for the NHL draft and the upcoming prospects. They don't want there to be one runaway player that will go #1 because then everyone would lose interest in the NHL draft. When they ranked Seguin ahead of Hall it guranteed that all everyone will talk about is who will go #1, and so that it will appear to be up in the air right up to draft day.
And it likely will.

Old
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
freedom55

check the plus minus stats

Are you kidding me this guy seguin is brutal in his own zone big time over rated. Did you see Talylor Hall at the world Juniors back check this kid has NHL speed right now!!!

freedom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:01 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
If you saw how the whole thing played out, you wouldn't be laughing.
Why? You guys didn't end up in a punch up...did you?

Shawn

Old
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom55 View Post
Are you kidding me this guy seguin is brutal in his own zone big time over rated.
Current OHL Scoring Leader + 6'1" 186 and not yet 18 years old = big time prospect

He may not be as good as Hall, but he's not overated.

Best,
Shawn

Old
01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
KL*

1. Fowler
2. Seguin
3. Hall

Last edited by KL*: 01-14-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old
01-14-2010, 05:23 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom55 View Post
Are you kidding me this guy seguin is brutal in his own zone big time over rated. Did you see Talylor Hall at the world Juniors back check this kid has NHL speed right now!!!
Plus-Minus? Are you kidding me?

And he's a plus-freaking-five. Fourth on his team at 17 years old age and he is the guy who gets all the best-players matched-up against him. Which, considering that he's scored as many points (and nearly as many goals) as the teams second and third scorers combined, is incredibly telling.

He's an average defensive player at worst. Obviously doesn't come back as quick as Hall but I think can and will plenty of puck battles in his own end at the NHL level.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 05:48 AM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Plus-Minus? Are you kidding me?

And he's a plus-freaking-five. Fourth on his team at 17 years old age and he is the guy who gets all the best-players matched-up against him. Which, considering that he's scored as many points (and nearly as many goals) as the teams second and third scorers combined, is incredibly telling.

He's an average defensive player at worst. Obviously doesn't come back as quick as Hall but I think can and will plenty of puck battles in his own end at the NHL level.
Seguin is about average defensively. He'll get better though.

Old
01-14-2010, 06:25 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE10 View Post
It depends on your needs.

The Blues have plenty of young D-men so I would probably take Seguin, but I love Fowler. I think he will be better than EJ no, JJ yes, Doughty no, Bogosian yes, etc. when it's all set and done, at least defensively. If my team needed both D and forwards I may even take him first overall.
Fowler is great but if he was anywhere near the prospects that EJ and Doughty were then he'd be the uncontested #1 in a draft that's got the weakest top 3 in the past few years (definitely weaker than 2008 or 2006). Not to mention that but Doughty has turned out better than expected (and I'm sure EJ will as well).

Moving on. I don't like the idea that Hall is so cemented in #1. Seguin's been moving up all year and I can see him grabbing #1 and Fowler had a rather decent WJC and could do the same.

That being said, if Hall was taken first I'd take Seguin but, then, I'm Montreal/LA fan so hardly a hard choice.

I can think of a few cases where I'd take Fowler and a few where I'd take Seguin. Team needs aside, I'd probably go with Seguin. But by no means is it a large margin.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:40 AM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
I take Fowler first overall, and have been since last season.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote