HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes @ Canucks (01/07/10)

Old
01-07-2010, 11:56 PM
jmichael7753

vCash: 500
I never thought I'd say this but Thank You Darren Helm and Thank you red wings for beating the kings.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
MP

Last I heard, MacLean and Kolarik were too slow to merit a call-up. They can't work on getting NHL-fast in the press box, and that's exactly where Tippett would send them if they couldn't keep up with the play.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:58 PM
ducky

Today's game showed how little talent we have on this roster. And don't look now but our goal differential isn't so great any more.

GMDM has to pull a trade for a scorer. Or two.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:58 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Last I heard, MacLean and Kolarik were too slow to merit a call-up. They can't work on getting NHL-fast in the press box, and that's exactly where Tippett would send them if they couldn't keep up with the play.
As far as im concerned they would be no worse the hogan.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Today's game showed how little talent we have on this roster. And don't look now but our goal differential isn't so great any more.

Don't count your selves so short, you guys beat us last game, you guys just need to make the playoff's, in a few years you guys will be a super strong team.

This system might be hard to watch now, but it's the best considering the situation you guys are in.

Also you guys are having a great season.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:05 AM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Don't count your selves so short, you guys beat us last game, you guys just need to make the playoff's, in a few years you guys will be a super strong team.

This system might be hard to watch now, but it's the best considering the situation you guys are in.

Also you guys are having a great season.
True all around but the panic switch is incredibly tempting to use at the first sign of adversity. Hope Rome isn't hurt badly and that Salo is okay too. Cool to see a Canuck(aside from Naslund) leading the points race

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post

Indeed and this team and its fans are still feeling the effects of the ****-ups under the Moyes-Ellman era.
We need to make the moves so we can keep up with the SJ's and Chicago's and Pittsburgh's in this league.

If only we had bit the bullet early on when those clowns took over the team. Think of all of players we could have choose from!
Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Kane, Towes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Piokinen

/thread

move on and beat the Isles!!

Piokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrek View Post
/thread

move on and beat the Isles!!
Agreed.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:03 AM
gorsk11

I put this one on Tippet

How many rough and tumble guys do we need in the lineup. It was great to have Winnik back but then you shouldn't have Biz and Hoggan in the lineup. Korpi is not a 1st line guy. How many checking line guys do we need?

Sitting Mueller tonight was a mistake IMHO. I haven't seen anything from Hoggan that warrants him playing. Would much rather see Boedker especially with Winnik and Fiddler back playing.

When I saw the lineup - I thought - Hope we don't get shut out tonight.
This reminded me of last year. Tough and physical only gets you so far. And if you get behind, you are in big trouble.

I am not impressed by Eriksson. Especially when he's on the PP. I guess he is better defensively than Lepisto but we lose alot offensively.

I do like Jovo in front of the net on the PP. He also wins pucks after shots in the corners.

The ice looked very rough....I was surprised.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
True all around but the panic switch is incredibly tempting to use at the first sign of adversity. Hope Rome isn't hurt badly and that Salo is okay too. Cool to see a Canuck(aside from Naslund) leading the points race
Just an observation from a Canucks fan here....

You, and the Phoenix fans I saw posting on the Vancouver thread were all very cool.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:25 AM
skr0oface

Anybody else agree Doan had a terrible game?

skr0oface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

It's always tough to lose, but we're still in fourth place. Looking at the standings right now, Vancouver is 8-1-1 in its last ten and is second in the NHL in goal differential at +37.

Gotta let this one go and start the long homestand with a good effort against the Islanders.

krepitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Trying to play this as an end of the world scenario is tired and played out.
Look, read my posts. I'm not calling for a trade or hitting the panic button. It is just one game. But getting your ass kicked 4-0 by the team right behind you in the standings, while your goalie is standing on his head, is as bad as it gets. We lost to a hot team, well guess what - those are games we'll need to win from time to time in order to make the playoffs. I would have had zero problem with a 3-2 loss. But we really looked inferior last night, like there was no way in hell we could make it a game. You can twist it however you want - that's just not good.

Quote:
A Coyote could have been injured. Someone could have done something stupid worthy of getting a suspension.
You're right. The team did an excellent job at no hurting itself. We should all be proud.

Quote:
They lost to a hot team with a great goalie and the LEAGUE LEADER in points.
This is a fine excuse after a close game. Not after a 4-0 ass kicking.

The key to this team during the first half was consistency. Every single game, they worked hard, followed Tippett's system to a T, and always, always gave themselves a chance. That's the only way the Coyotes can finish in the top 8, and that's the key difference between this year's team and the past 7 seasons. A game like last night is inexcusable. They cannot afford it. Had Bryz had a bad night, I would have let it go. But he didn't. He was stellar. That's what pisses me off. They did the same **** just 2 games ago against Detroit. Very similar scenario, another good team competing for a playoff spot, and the yotes just could not measure up. That's 2 games in the past 3. They need to turn this around and raise their intensity level, otherwise I can see this team dropping like a rock in the standings within a month, same as last year.

6 points are separating us from #9. That's very easy to lose, and very difficult to get back.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:58 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

The key to this team during the first half was consistency. Every single game, they worked hard, followed Tippett's system to a T, and always, always gave themselves a chance. That's the only way the Coyotes can finish in the top 8, and that's the key difference between this year's team and the past 7 seasons. A game like last night is inexcusable. They cannot afford it. Had Bryz had a bad night, I would have let it go. But he didn't. He was stellar. That's what pisses me off. They did the same **** just 2 games ago against Detroit. Very similar scenario, another good team competing for a playoff spot, and the yotes just could not measure up. That's 2 games in the past 3. They need to turn this around and raise their intensity level, otherwise I can see this team dropping like a rock in the standings within a month, same as last year.

6 points are separating us from #9. That's very easy to lose, and very difficult to get back.
Did you not watch the second period? The ice was slanted in our favour, but we couldn't get enough second-chance opportunities. The lame-duck goal with 4 seconds left totally deflated the team, and that carried over to the third.

I do agree with other posters, though. Our lack of a true scorer was evident tonight, magnified by the Upshall injury. You can only cycle the puck around so much... I think we're set with our grinders, but our top six leaves something to be desired. Doan was all but invisible, and he's not a pure scorer even when he's on top of his game. Reinprecht would be our leading scorer.

Last edited by wpgyotes: 01-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.
wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
The key to this team during the first half was consistency. Every single game, they worked hard, followed Tippett's system to a T, and always, always gave themselves a chance. That's the only way the Coyotes can finish in the top 8, and that's the key difference between this year's team and the past 7 seasons.
I completely agree with this statement. The Coyotes looked a little bit lost last night, although I think some of that had to do with the fact that the Canucks looked like they had done a fine job of game planning against the Coyotes. When the Coyotes would trap, the Canucks were happy to dump and chase. When the Coyotes would collapse the Canucks were happy to pass the puck in the open areas of the ice. The Coyotes did not react well to being schemed and I'm sure it worked even than Vigneault had hoped. They started getting themselves out of position, so instead of the Canucks having to be patient working the puck through the little bit of open ice the Coyotes leave open, the Coyotes often turned into a sieve. The D started to cheat (see Vandermeer) the forwards started to over commit to the collapse and the Canucks made them pay. I'm not sure the Coyotes ever adjusted to this which is another problem. I hope Tippett is focusing on this between games.

Quote:
This is the big problem. The Coyotes don't have a lot of margin for error if they intend to make the playoffs. They have to play the system, even when it isn't completely shutting down the opposition. They also have to learn to adjust, which is as much about Tippett as it is the rest of the team, even when that means adjusting back to where they should have been when they start cheating.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Mike92

Well when half your d men completely embarass themselves several times in front of the net you're gonna have problems. The canucks limited our second chances, our d gift wrapped them. I actually thought erikson was pretty solid, and he and yandle were the only pair that didn't make any glaring mistakes.
I don't think our talent level is as low as some think, but we do need a finisher who will fit in our system, and we have to have more of our skill players dressed in games like these. I didn't even realize porter wa still up.

Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
True all around but the panic switch is incredibly tempting to use at the first sign of adversity. Hope Rome isn't hurt badly
I seem to remember Aaron Rome being the one who did a nasty knee-to-knee on Freddy Sjostrom back in juniors. If its the same guy, he's got a reputation.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
knowsthegame

Ya we lost 4-0. Rirst period we were tentative, 2nd period we dominated but did not get rewarded and then that goal with 7 seconds left killed us. Give credit to the Canucks as they made us look as bad as we have all year in the 3rd period.
All NHL teams have bad nights once in a while over an 82 game schedule. Last night was our turn.
The concern I have is that we have given up 12 goals in the last 3 games. Ouch!

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote