HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Back from first "stick time" - questions

Old
01-08-2010, 10:02 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

vCash: 500
Back from first "stick time" - questions

First off, I had a blast and can't wait to go back, just wish i would of started playing much longer ago!

1.First off, I have what I believe to be mild shin splints, i have been skating the last few weeks a couple times a week, some days i had it, some days not. Basically the front right of my shins, the muscle there becomes incredibly tight and burns like hell. It was especially bad today for some reason, it was to the point i would have to stop skating after a couple minutes and lift up my leg to let my shins rest. I have flat feet and have heard this can make matters worse. I researched the subject today and saw some exercises to prevent them. Does anyone have pointers or tips about these? They are quite the nuisance.

(is it possible it has something to do with how i lace my skates? Too tight, too loose?)

2. I bought a CCM octo gun 85 Tavares stick-senior, however I'm wondering if I should of bought the Int stick. I already cut about 2 inches off it, however after playing today i immediatley realized its still 2" too long, so after I cut more off, it will be about 4" shorter then stock form. I'm about 5'7, 155lbs, but pretty strong for my size. My question is, am I cutting too much of this stick off, am I going to be able to flex this stick to its ability for my size?

Not sure what to do with the stick, its brand friggin new, today was the first time it saw ice, I'd hate to think i spent all that money on a stick that wont work for me. However, maybe I just need to practice my shooting technique with it before i jump to conclusion.

What do you guys think? Regarding the stick, and my shins.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
CanadaBacon

nevermind, just saw the 85.

Can you flex it pretty easy now?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
nevermind, just saw the 85.

Can you flex it pretty easy now?
well i haven't yet cut the additional 2" off yet because i'm hesitating what to do with the stick. I can flex the stick now, but i'm wondering what the flex rate will be after its missing 4". Is there any mathematics to this stuff?

Old
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
well i haven't yet cut the additional 2" off yet because i'm hesitating what to do with the stick. I can flex the stick now, but i'm wondering what the flex rate will be after its missing 4". Is there any mathematics to this stuff?

But can you flex it pretty EASY now. If you have to work to flex it now, it will be too stiff when you cut it.

Old
01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Go ahead and cut it to make the length right. You can just use it, a stiffer stick is hardly the end of the world, especially for a beginning player. Odds are your technique isn't good enough for it to hurt you yet. When you get better, go ahead and get the int and use that one as a backup stick (something you should always have in case you break one in a game).

As for the shin splints, try not lacing the top eyelet, see if that helps. You might be getting lacebite.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Ani simov mal

This would have never of happened if you didn't buy that damn fishbowl.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:02 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
This would have never of happened if you didn't buy that damn fishbowl.

wasnt expecting that

Old
01-09-2010, 12:19 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Go ahead and cut it to make the length right. You can just use it, a stiffer stick is hardly the end of the world, especially for a beginning player. Odds are your technique isn't good enough for it to hurt you yet. When you get better, go ahead and get the int and use that one as a backup stick (something you should always have in case you break one in a game).

As for the shin splints, try not lacing the top eyelet, see if that helps. You might be getting lacebite.
Alright I guess i'll cut the stick again.
I'm not sure this is lacebite, I used to get this same thing when I played indoor soccer, pretty sure its a form of shin splints. Just curious if anyone else deals with shin splints.

Old
01-09-2010, 01:04 AM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
In my experience, the shin pain you're describing is usually attributed to your toes or the balls of your feet coming up off the footbeds of your skates. Your skates might be a bit too big/wide, or you might need to torque the laces down in that area. Also, make sure you're getting a good knee bed when you stride and that you're not back on your heels, since the natural reaction to being off-balance towards your heels is for the fronts of your feet coming up (stand up straight in your socks and lean way back towards your heels, see what happens.)

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote