A lot to Look Forward to

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 01:18 AM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
A lot to Look Forward to

Assuming that there is no work stoppage next year it should be a fun season to watch for us. With Hicks calling for a youth movement, we should see a lot more of our propects next season then previously expected. To start, probably Ellis, but maybe Cash will be the backup for Turco with the departure of Tugnutt. Trevor Daley is pretty much a lock at making the team out of training camp next season. MacMillan and Vagner are possibilities on the back end as well. Antii Miettinen will be on the opening day roster and will have a much larger role than this season. Junior Lessard will most likely earn a spot on the big club too. Tjarnqvist will likely be a regular on this team and his size will be very welcome on our dimunitive team. I wouldn't be suprised if we see Hagos in a Stars uniform as well.

Here are the possible lines for next season after the youth movement:

Morrow-Modano-Guerin
Lehtinen-Barnes-Lessard
Miettinen-Ott-Kapanen
Tjarnqvist-Hagos-Oliver

Downey

Boucher-Zubov
Daley-Sweeney
MacMillan-Erskine

7th-Vagner

Turco
Ellis

Old
04-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Dundalis

I think we should should trade more for younger players this offseason. With the seasons failure, and the way Hicks has been thinking about his investment in this team, you can bet the GM is going to looking for deals to get rid of some of our higher paid players. If that happens, we should go after good young players or move up in the draft. I have a feeling Modano might retire, especially if there is no season. I can see Arnott moving, and the GM looking hard for someone to take either Turgeon or Guerin, even if we have to pay part of their contract, or take back a lesser but longer contract in return. If Hicks is pissed off enough, he could order almost the entire roster turned over.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
I think we should should trade more for younger players this offseason. With the seasons failure, and the way Hicks has been thinking about his investment in this team, you can bet the GM is going to looking for deals to get rid of some of our higher paid players. If that happens, we should go after good young players or move up in the draft. I have a feeling Modano might retire, especially if there is no season. I can see Arnott moving, and the GM looking hard for someone to take either Turgeon or Guerin, even if we have to pay part of their contract, or take back a lesser but longer contract in return. If Hicks is pissed off enough, he could order almost the entire roster turned over.
Who would be some young players you would trade for??

Mine:
Taylor Pyatt
Kristian Huselius(??)
Maxim Afinogenov
Sergei Samsonov-could be cheaper than some of the guys we have
Marek Svatos-Tons of potential but injury prone
Brad Boyes-great prospect with a lot of potential

There are tons more, I just can't think of any right now. Give me your ideas.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:37 AM
Dundalis

Its hard to say. Ive heard rumors about the Sens wanting to move Havlat, but that is what the fans are saying. It's hard to see what we could give that they would want, I can pretty much see them asking for Morrow, which wont happen.
Wouldnt mind Samsonov, Svatos wont be traded after this series, Avs have perhaps less prospects than we do. Dont know much about Boyes, from what ive read sounds like a good prospect. The rest dont interest me overmuch, but if traded for someone not so important wouldnt mind seeing them come in. Erat, Volchenkov, Backman, Fritsche, Bell, maybe Vasicek, Derek Roy, Kalinin, Ive heard Ottawa might trade Spezza for the right deal, but I doubt it. Any of them would be good young players for the Stars. Its all about teams needs and what we can offer.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
Its hard to say. Ive heard rumors about the Sens wanting to move Havlat, but that is what the fans are saying. It's hard to see what we could give that they would want, I can pretty much see them asking for Morrow, which wont happen.
Wouldnt mind Samsonov, Svatos wont be traded after this series, Avs have perhaps less prospects than we do. Dont know much about Boyes, from what ive read sounds like a good prospect. The rest dont interest me overmuch, but if traded for someone not so important wouldnt mind seeing them come in. Erat, Volchenkov, Backman, Fritsche, Bell, maybe Vasicek, Derek Roy, Kalinin, Ive heard Ottawa might trade Spezza for the right deal, but I doubt it. Any of them would be good young players for the Stars. Its all about teams needs and what we can offer.
I wouldnt mind seeing Havlat, Erat, Bell or Spezza with us.

I can see the Sens trading Spezza seeing as he didn't play all that much in the playoffs and he has been rather inconsistent with them.

Erat has a lot of potential in his game which hasn't been tapped yet. Would be a great pick-up.

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO SEE HAVLAT WITH THE STARS!! Wow, would that make my day and possibly my year. Such a good player and the pressure was getting to him in Ottawa.

We would hafta give up a lot to get these guys and it may not happen, but would be nice to see one of these come to Dallas.

Old
04-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
Assuming that there is no work stoppage next year it should be a fun season to watch for us. With Hicks calling for a youth movement, we should see a lot more of our propects next season then previously expected. To start, probably Ellis, but maybe Cash will be the backup for Turco with the departure of Tugnutt. Trevor Daley is pretty much a lock at making the team out of training camp next season. MacMillan and Vagner are possibilities on the back end as well. Antii Miettinen will be on the opening day roster and will have a much larger role than this season. Junior Lessard will most likely earn a spot on the big club too. Tjarnqvist will likely be a regular on this team and his size will be very welcome on our dimunitive team. I wouldn't be suprised if we see Hagos in a Stars uniform as well.

Morrow-Modano-Guerin
Lehtinen-Barnes-Lessard
Miettinen-Ott-Kapanen
Tjarnqvist-Hagos-Oliver

Downey

Boucher-Zubov
Daley-Sweeney
MacMillan-Erskine

7th-Vagner

Turco
Ellis
Like it or not Turgeon is here. He could center Lessard if ready and Miettinen. Hagos goes nowhere he has another year in Europe. No way the Defense looks anything like that.

Old
04-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Dundalis

Turgeon is gone. Im certain Hicks will make that a must. Even if he has to pay a lot of the salary. If he needs to get rid of the best player in baseball because of a big contract, he will certainly have no trouble ordering the same for Turgeon.

Old
04-24-2004, 09:35 AM
brucegarrioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman
I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO SEE HAVLAT WITH THE STARS!! Wow, would that make my day and possibly my year. Such a good player and the pressure was getting to him in Ottawa.

We would hafta give up a lot to get these guys and it may not happen, but would be nice to see one of these come to Dallas.
And I would like to give him to you. Jason Spezza is the biggest enigma on the Senators roster; he seemingly plays for himself first and foremost, and the team somewhere after that. That being said, a change in the headcoaching position might allow him to blossom as Muckler wants a more offensively driven hockey team [something Spezza is good at, he could never grasp that whole "defensive" aspect of the game].

Look for Ottawa to move Bonk and Lalime, and maybe Martin Havlat if the return is signifcant enough. I've noticed that many people around here seem to think that Jason Arnott could be on the move -- perhaps a deal with Ottawa could be made. Two similar organizations that are Stanley Cup contenders looking to shake things up: Bonk and Havlat for Arnott and that Morrow guy [ ], Ottawa might need to add something else...perhaps Josh Langfeld [LW] of Brian Pothier [D]?

Old
04-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
And I would like to give him to you. Jason Spezza is the biggest enigma on the Senators roster; he seemingly plays for himself first and foremost, and the team somewhere after that. That being said, a change in the headcoaching position might allow him to blossom as Muckler wants a more offensively driven hockey team [something Spezza is good at, he could never grasp that whole "defensive" aspect of the game].

Look for Ottawa to move Bonk and Lalime, and maybe Martin Havlat if the return is signifcant enough. I've noticed that many people around here seem to think that Jason Arnott could be on the move -- perhaps a deal with Ottawa could be made. Two similar organizations that are Stanley Cup contenders looking to shake things up: Bonk and Havlat for Arnott and that Morrow guy [ ], Ottawa might need to add something else...perhaps Josh Langfeld [LW] of Brian Pothier [D]?
I dont know if we give up Morrow, but we will give u Arnott for Havlat. Obviously it wouldn't be a 1-for-1 deal, but it sure would look like a good deal to me. Maybe these two teams will be in trade talks over the summer?? Could be interesting to see.

Old
04-24-2004, 11:08 AM
brucegarrioch

I feel fairly certain that Muckler would not except a deal similar to Arnott for Havlat with additional players added in. If Muckler was to trade Havlat, he'd look at Morrow first, and probably only.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:48 PM
OttMorrow

Morrow is not likely to be moved. He is the heart and soul of this team, and his contribution to the team goes far beyond what any statistics would tell you. Hicks has named him as one of the core players for which the team will be built around and he will likely be the captain of this team in the near future.

Old
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow

Morrow-Modano-Guerin
Lehtinen-Barnes-Lessard
Miettinen-Ott-Kapanen
Tjarnqvist-Hagos-Oliver
I think you may be rushing Lessard a touch here. Sure he won the Hobey Baker award and is likely going to develop into a good player, but a 2nd liner in the NHL right out of college hockey? That's a tough transition... Take a look at past winners like Peter Sejna in St.Louis who spent most of the year in the minors, and Mike Mottau who is likely a career AHLer... I'd say work him in on the 3rd line IF he makes the team, but a year developing in the AHL would do him a ton of good... If you plan on going with youth, you don't want to rush your good prospects...

Old
04-26-2004, 01:31 PM
OttMorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallant
I think you may be rushing Lessard a touch here. Sure he won the Hobey Baker award and is likely going to develop into a good player, but a 2nd liner in the NHL right out of college hockey? That's a tough transition... Take a look at past winners like Peter Sejna in St.Louis who spent most of the year in the minors, and Mike Mottau who is likely a career AHLer... I'd say work him in on the 3rd line IF he makes the team, but a year developing in the AHL would do him a ton of good... If you plan on going with youth, you don't want to rush your good prospects...
You may be right. Maybe switching Kapanen to the 2nd line and putting Lessard on the 3rd would be more realistic.

Closed Thread