HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 13 Sign Up-Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
  #26
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
For God's sake, please change your name back!
I will when I can (next year)

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
  #27
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I think LL is giving us a chance to sign up and provide feedback.

On the trade front: I like the idea of no restrictions, but you can't trade once you're on the clock. I think I suggested it after the silliness of the early rounds in ATD 9. I don't like the 3-GM/24-hour rule. Maybe if we go with six hours, but that could allow a couple GMs to pull a shady move in the middle of the night. Then again, I'm not a fan of holding up the draft because of trades. At all.

As someone who administered most of the last draft, I found that the systems in place worked pretty well. I'd drop the all-star team votes - that didn't work at all. I'd keep the time limits that we had, with one small change. Once you get to the four-hour limit in Rounds 21 to 24, your time limit window can't be reduced. If you have two hours on your time limit window entering Round 21, then that's what you'll stay at for the rest of the draft. And you're always guaranteed at least an hour to pick. The time frames for the playoffs worked great. I think that's why we had more GMs voting. We avoided the Christmas break for the first time in a fall draft since the playoffs were implemented, and we had close to 50 per cent turnout throughout the playoffs. I'm guessing that's the first time it's happened.

Honestly, fellas, I'm just not excited for this right now. It's been the same way the last couple drafts. Then once it gets close, I get excited. But this time, there's really a sense of malaise for me. It's not because it's been a month since the last draft ended. It's not because some of my buddies from the early drafts - Murph, HO, Spit and reck - aren't part of it anymore.

I'm just trying to not be so tied to a computer. And I'm trying to reduce the amount of time I spend on HF.

Of course, if I do participate, and I get one of those players that I've always wanted, but never had, with the first pick, my interest would peak.
I agree fully. I think the problem here is that there is a crew of us that just can't wait to give it another shot (maybe some of the newer guys who've only done a couple), and some of the older guys who've done this thing 6 or 7 times already, and just want to take a bit of a break.

So yeah, I think for me personally, this discussion is happening to soon. Let's talk again in a month, and actually settle things, IMO. Although I like the proposal of no trade restrictions, with the exception of on-the-clock trading. I don't think we'll see any insane veto worthy deals for at least another couple drafts, because all of us got the message. Just like in the NHL there are a lot of questions as to calling penalties in this New NHL era, (as AugerLovesBurrows' name states ...oh Hedberg), I think there was some confusion as to what the "line" was for trading in the new ATD (28 and 32 team drafts). I think most of us have gotten a idea of what's generally acceptable and what's unfair.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
  #28
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
I agree fully. I think the problem here is that there is a crew of us that just can't wait to give it another shot (maybe some of the newer guys who've only done a couple), and some of the older guys who've done this thing 6 or 7 times already, and just want to take a bit of a break.

So yeah, I think for me personally, this discussion is happening to soon. Let's talk again in a month, and actually settle things, IMO. Although I like the proposal of no trade restrictions, with the exception of on-the-clock trading. I don't think we'll see any insane veto worthy deals for at least another couple drafts, because all of us got the message. Just like in the NHL there are a lot of questions as to calling penalties in this New NHL era, (as AugerLovesBurrows' name states ...oh Hedberg), I think there was some confusion as to what the "line" was for trading in the new ATD (28 and 32 team drafts). I think most of us have gotten a idea of what's generally acceptable and what's unfair.
It's not that I need a break. It's just that I'm trying to spend a little less time attached to the computer (except for work), and a little more time doing more relevant things. I haven't been on HF very often in the last month, and I haven't missed it at all. Different priorities at different times.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
  #29
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
It's not that I need a break. It's just that I'm trying to spend a little less time attached to the computer (except for work), and a little more time doing more relevant things. I haven't been on HF very often in the last month, and I haven't missed it at all. Different priorities at different times.
I meant in general, that's what I think the feeling is like, but maybe I'm off there and that's just me. I'm sure most of us would join the ATD if it started in a week, but I just think that there is a bit of "ATD burnout" going on. And yeah, I too haven't been on HF nearly as much lately. Hockey season is kinda dull right now, TSN highlights give me my hockey fix. But, that's just me personally...I'll probably be much more active everywhere around this place during the Olympics and definitely after that up until the playoffs. Ideally (again, for me) that's when we start this, right around or after the Olympics, and have it done in a May. Then June-July or whatever for the MLD, then maybe September-October for the AAA.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:36 PM
  #30
Pitt's Best #87 #66
Registered User
 
Pitt's Best #87 #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Just curious if I could get a team or help someone out with one. I know it won't start for a couple more weeks but I thought I would show interest at least.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:49 AM
  #31
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
Just curious if I could get a team or help someone out with one. I know it won't start for a couple more weeks but I thought I would show interest at least.
ok but your gonna have to change your nick name to show us how creative you can be

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
  #32
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 500
Personally, there's no rush starting the ATD. Just set out a date late january or in February and let's this think going once again. Anyway, the longer before the ATD#13 start, the longer I can drink off the Milt Dunnell Cup

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
  #33
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Just one thing to consider: it might be a good idea if we play the waiting game until after the trade deadline in March. Traffic on this site is going to be a nightmare starting next month due to the Olympics. And then it's going to get ugly again a couple weeks later due to the trade deadline. We can wait, but if we want to forge ahead now, we might want some built-in measures in case the site crashes.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
  #34
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,819
vCash: 500
We really should have sign up begin today...

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:40 AM
  #35
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
I will when I can (next year)
Seriously? I have to see that name on my screen for a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
Just curious if I could get a team or help someone out with one. I know it won't start for a couple more weeks but I thought I would show interest at least.
Absolutely. Always looking for new GMs. Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Just one thing to consider: it might be a good idea if we play the waiting game until after the trade deadline in March. Traffic on this site is going to be a nightmare starting next month due to the Olympics. And then it's going to get ugly again a couple weeks later due to the trade deadline. We can wait, but if we want to forge ahead now, we might want some built-in measures in case the site crashes.
I'm not going to argue with this because with all the time we're going to have between ATDs 13 and 14, it really shouldn't matter how late we start 13. But whatever you guys do, I'll be there.

As for when the site goes down.... it's not difficult. If there's an outage, everything stops until it's back up. If an outage lasts longer than 24 hours then we should probably have a 24 hour period following it where there are no deadlines just to make sure everyone gets back in here and knows what's going on.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
  #36
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Seriously? I have to see that name on my screen for a year?
I suppose I could become a sponsor and change it back or you could put me on ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
As for when the site goes down.... it's not difficult. If there's an outage, everything stops until it's back up. If an outage lasts longer than 24 hours then we should probably have a 24 hour period following it where there are no deadlines just to make sure everyone gets back in here and knows what's going on.
The site was pretty stable last year during the deadline. I think at most it was only down a few hours.

If the ATD is going to be yearly, do we really want it to be annually in the winter instead of annually in the fall?

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:25 PM
  #37
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
I suppose I could become a sponsor and change it back or you could put me on ignore.



The site was pretty stable last year during the deadline. I think at most it was only down a few hours.

If the ATD is going to be yearly, do we really want it to be annually in the winter instead of annually in the fall?
Will traffic be an issue during the Olympics?

I think so. A well-run draft needs three months to complete, between the draft, reviews and playoffs. If we run it in the winter, we have about a six-month window (January 1-July 1) to complete it. That's enough time to not only complete the ATD, but have the MLD as well.

If we run it in the fall, that's a smaller window of opportunity. You're looking at three, maybe three-and-a-half months, to have it complete before Christmas. And we definitely want to have it finished before Christmas.

To be honest with you, fellas, I think I'm done as a GM in the ATD. Unless raleh can talk me into coming back for one more go. Last draft, I couldn't wait to get knocked out. I don't put much stock on the playoffs for this thing, but really, I was happy to be eliminated. Maybe that's because it was getting into December, and I had a lot going on. But I just wasn't feeling the joy of the ATD.

If a rookie wants me on as an advisor, I might take him up on it. That's if it's someone who I feel I can work with, who'll understand the value of team building, aggressive hockey and evaluations beyond just a statistical level. And I'll maybe do my evaluations at the end of the draft. And maybe I'll feel the itch in round three or four, and offer my services as a co-GM. But as of right now, I'm probably through as an active GM.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:35 PM
  #38
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
I would agree that if we're starting again in a month or so then we should do sign-ups now so we're not scrambling to fill out the draft just before it starts. Is it ok if we just have Nalyd start the thread for it? I don't think it should matter who does that.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
  #39
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 500
When is this thing starting again?

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:08 PM
  #40
DoMakc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
When is this thing starting again?

When somebody creates a sing-up thread?

I think we should start the sing up, and begin to draft when we get enough participation

DoMakc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.