HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Souray To Caps

Old
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
dashtary*

vCash: 500
Souray To Caps

Quote:
As I continue to work on the soon to launch NHL Trade Deadline Rumor Chart I wanted to throw this (somewhat) new concept that is sweeping through the scouts and GMs as we head into this season's deadline. The concept was described to me as Cap Fix Chips.

This is nothing new, last season we saw Scottie Upshall moved as a CFC among others. A player that goes the other way for Cap purposes.

This season, as the margin for most teams to what they can spend is virtually vanishing, more and more I am hearing about possible deals that include CFCs...

Here are the latest interesting rumors...

The Edmonton Oilers are sellers. I am told in full force they are considering moving to all young players and hoping for a Taylor Hall/Jordan Eberle 10-11. It makes sense. Hall is the absolute perfect fit in Edmonton. A superstar who they can draft instead of trying to lure him away via free agency. The Oilers are trying to move Souray, but they can only do so by taking someone else's money back..

I heard this morning that Souray and a pick could be headed to Washington for Theodore, Fehr, and Canadian World Junior Player/Tazmanian Devil Stefan Della Rovere plus a second and fourth round pick.

The trade rumor is interesting on several levels. It would definitely give the Caps some power/experience from the backend in Souray, and the space would be cleared by Jose Theodore's contract.

I also heard a similar rumor where Theodore could go to Toronto for Kaberle.

Theodore is in many ways the definition of a Cap Fix Chip.

A source I spoke to at length last night at the Flyers/Leafs game said that we should maybe expect more deals along these lines than we have seen in the past.

"A player like Theodore, being a goalie is a definite risk. But if the Caps are going to go with the Russian kid, and perhaps pick up a veteran backup like Biron or even Halak, this deal makes sense," my source continued, "But were I you I would be tracking down the players with big contracts on contenders who are about to become UFA's. Players who are playing only minor roles on teams that will have money to spend this summer so that they can keep the incoming player around."

So, for example, in this case Souray is a 5.4 million dollar cap hit this year and next.

The Caps trade Theodore at a 4.5 hit, but he is UFA come July 1. Fehr is around 750K, a pending RFA, but has some upside for the Oilers, and Della Rovere, who is under 1 as well and set with three years on a rookie contract. The draft picks are the draft picks.

The money is almost a wash for the Caps (no pun intended) and the Caps are still left with around 4 million pro-rated Cap money (no pun intended either) to get a Biron or Halak and still have space left. The Caps can afford to keep Souray around next year with the money that is coming off the Cap from certain other UFAs/RFAs they would be willing to walk away from. The Caps have extended Semin and have to deal with Backstrom this summer.

"But it may be easier to keep guys around if you believe that Souray helps you raise the Trophy," my source concluded.

So who are some of these other Cap Fix Chips...like Theodore? Let's try to really define a Cap Fix Chip.
Eklund is saying: Souray and a pick could be headed to Washington for Theodore, Fehr, and Canadian World Junior Player/Tazmanian Devil Stefan Della Rovere plus a second and fourth round pick.

No thank you, SDR is too important to trade, and multiple picks is tough to bite, way too much going back to the Oilers IMO.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Predatials

yeah i usually take Ek with ten grains of salt but I thought that was too much going to Edm even from a homer.

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Reign Nateo

This trade actually makes sense on a number of levels. Firstly, the Caps are obviously looking at making a run and desire a PP dman and Souray is that. The Oilers need future considerations, and a goalie who at least in name keeps hopes up in Edmonton. They make it look like they're trying, while not hurting their chances at getting Hall, Seguin, Fowler. But Thoedore at this point is a cap chip for sure. Della Rovere and Fehr are what the deal is all about for Edmonton. Picks would have to be messed with to even it out, but I think this makes a lot of sense.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The issue is that second year for Souray. It might make the salary implications of Backstrom's new deal a lot tighter than otherwise projected, since Theodore's salary is due to come off the books on July 1st. Washington does need help at defense, however, so there is a fit. Ideally they would bring in another type of defenseman, but he would help.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I don't know, I think the Caps have to throw in Ovechkin to make this fair....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
dashtary*

My thing is SDR, I like Fehr alot and it would be tough to move him but I guess that it can happen. But SDR is going to be way too important to move IMO. He is the next talented pest that will be on the big club soon. His importance to the Caps is way more than how other teams value him.

Old
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The issue is that second year for Souray. It might make the salary implications of Backstrom's new deal a lot tighter than otherwise projected, since Theodore's salary is due to come off the books on July 1st. Washington does need help at defense, however, so there is a fit. Ideally they would bring in another type of defenseman, but he would help.
MAYBE FOR KABERLE ////but not souray .bad move for washington .i think kaberle and one big winger and washington can win a cup.

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
This trade actually makes sense on a number of levels. Firstly, the Caps are obviously looking at making a run and desire a PP dman and Souray is that. The Oilers need future considerations, and a goalie who at least in name keeps hopes up in Edmonton. They make it look like they're trying, while not hurting their chances at getting Hall, Seguin, Fowler. But Thoedore at this point is a cap chip for sure. Della Rovere and Fehr are what the deal is all about for Edmonton. Picks would have to be messed with to even it out, but I think this makes a lot of sense.
We do?

This is probably too much for Souray. Put up Visnovsky though, done in a flash.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I would do that, Fehr and Della Rovere? Easy. A decent forward and a good prospect. Not bad.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
avengedsevenfold

Actually as unreliable as Eklund is, he might just me right on this one. It probably won't go down till deadline day though

avengedsevenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
dashtary*

Take out SDR, replace him with Shaone Morisson or another prospect. Tbh I would rather get Kaberle who is younger, but either way Souray would be nice too.

Old
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Souray's NMC expires on July 1.

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Caps really can't commit to 5 mil for next year until the Backstrom situation is resolved. And, do they really need another PP guy?

I also think that GMGM may consider McPhee Jr. as untouchable as John Carlson and Alzner.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Devil Dancer

Why include Theodore, whose contract expires at the end of this year anyway? The Caps have plenty of cap space for this year already...

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
PeterTheGreat

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Souray-Green

THAT is a scary PP unit.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
dashtary*

So they could maintain their cap space to really make a move at the deadline? Theodore+Fehr is already like 6 almost.

Old
01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Why include Theodore, whose contract expires at the end of this year anyway? The Caps have plenty of cap space for this year already...
Washington will have to clear cap space to add Souray, and Khabibulin likely won't be back this season, so Edmonton needs another goalie to split time with Deslauriers. Dubnyk won't cut it.

This trade actually makes sense... so there's no way it will happen.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
avengedsevenfold

http://http://twitter.com/bmar96

Here's a link with something similar, I'll only beleve it when i hear it from a reliable source.

avengedsevenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Souray-Green

THAT is a scary PP unit.
Ovechkin on the point > Souray on the point, at least in terms of "scariness" from an offensive point of view.

Souray doesn't make a ton of sense for the Caps, not with that extra year. Not as much as some of the other potentially available options.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Gusher

From an Oilers standpoint, it sounds too good to be true. So sadly, it likely is.

But just for fun I'll discuss it.

If the Oilers have to eat some Salary (Theodore) to make a deal like this happen, so be it. It the long run, this would be a very good deal for the Oilers. They've been looking for a pest like SDR for a long time and nobody has been able to fill that role. Perhaps in a year or two, he could.

As for the Caps, it hurts a little down the road but I think winning a Stanley Cup is more important for them right now so it would be a huge help for them. 1 more year of Souray can't be that bad anyway. He would definitely be missed around here.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yes, it probably is too good to be true.

Now for Visnovsky, the Caps would likely bite. They need a defensively strong defenseman, or at least a good two-way defenseman. Another bomb from the point is just overkill, even if he would provide veteran leadership for a youngish defense corps. I've just never been the greatest fan of Souray's overall game. What the Caps' defense really needs is a top guy who plays a complete game.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
From an Oilers standpoint, it sounds too good to be true. So sadly, it likely is.

But just for fun I'll discuss it.

If the Oilers have to eat some Salary (Theodore) to make a deal like this happen, so be it. It the long run, this would be a very good deal for the Oilers. They've been looking for a pest like SDR for a long time and nobody has been able to fill that role. Perhaps in a year or two, he could.

As for the Caps, it hurts a little down the road but I think winning a Stanley Cup is more important for them right now so it would be a huge help for them. 1 more year of Souray can't be that bad anyway. He would definitely be missed around here.
SDR will never make the NHL. No interest in Fehr. Theodore is worthless...No thanks...Pass

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
artilector

Well, the value feels like overpayment by the Caps, and Souray is probably not the ideal D target, but taking as basis Souray for Fehr+, here's how it could work out for the Caps:

2010-2011

Ovechkin 9.5, Backstrom 7, Knuble 2.8
Semin 6, Flash 3, Laich 2
Chimera 1.875, Perreault 0.7, RW 1.5
Bradley 1, Steckel 1, Laing 0.5

Souray 5.4, Morrisonn 2
Green 5.25, Schultz 1.2
Alzner 1.7, Erskine 1.25
Sloan 0.7

Varlamov 0.8
Neuvirth 0.8

Total: 55.975

Then for 2011-12 come extensions for Varlamov, Alzner, Laich and possibly Perreault, and it looks like the Caps would have to let go of Semin, or hope the cap really goes up, or deal Souray (it would be his last year, and perhaps by that time Alzner & Carlson step up).

2011-12

Ovechkin 9.5, Backstrom 7, RW 1.5
Semin 7.5, Flash 3, Laich 2.5
Chimera 1.875, Perreault/MJ 1.5, RW 1.5
Bradley 1, Steckel 1, Laing 0.5

Green 5.25, Alzner 2.5
Souray 5.4, Schultz 1.2
Carlson 0.8, Erskine 1.25
Sloan 0.7

Varlamov 3
Neuvirth 0.8

Total: 59.275

edit: I'm probably being a bit optimistic with some of these numbers.. but hopefully not more than 1-1.5M off in total..

Last edited by artilector: 01-07-2010 at 03:34 PM.
artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
dashtary*

Souray is off the books next year so it wouldn't really matter, we could let him walk or sign him to a cheaper deal.

Old
01-07-2010, 03:31 PM
ShockerStasiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
SDR will never make the NHL. No interest in Fehr. Theodore is worthless...No thanks...Pass
Theo is UFA at the end of this season

SDR a 4th liner pesky player on the cheap sounds fine... or would you prefer a 2M Moreau to continue there?

Fehr - Not sure why u don't want him... but if he doesn't fit then he's an RFA at the end of this season

What exactly are you hoping to get for Souray? (just curious)

ShockerStasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote