HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Souray To Caps

Old
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Honestly, if Souray is an allstar and a leader and signed for two more seasons, why does Edmonton trade him?
Were going to have to sign Gagner, Cogliano, Grebeshkov and Deslauriers in the offseason, we have 4 puckmovers, although Gilbert has been crap all year and we need to get rid of some salary. Souray would be the most likely to be traded because he actually has value.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Barbadian91
Evgeny Kuznetsov

he also said theodore for Kaberle...

Done!

what would it take to get Visnovsky????

Barbadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Theodore expires this year -- I don't see how his cap hit is such a big nuisance. Negative value, ok, but not in a trade-busting way, surely?
We dont even need Theodore, Khabibulin should be back soon and JDD has been alright.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 05:48 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Police View Post
I'm surprised at how many Capitals fans are okay with this trade.

I have no interest in seeing Souray in a Capitals jersey. He's a 5 M pylon. Yes, he's great on the powerplay but the Capitals already have two great pointmen. Maybe he makes the second unit better if he takes Green's spot. That brings the powerplay up from 24% to 27%. Yay.

If I were Mcphee I pass. It's not all an issue of giving up too much. Fehr, Della Rovere and a pick is marginal. It's just getting nothing in return.
Souray is not a pylon. He was by far Edmonton's best d-man last year and is better defensively than anything Caps have. He got a concussion early this season and has been struggling ever since, but he's a lot better than you give him credit for.

The Eklund proposal sounds about fair and makes sense for both teams. Whether the trade will happen is another matter.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I might be in the minority, but I believe Souray has a pretty good contract for what he does. He'll still be worth the money for two more years.

So if I was moving him, I'd hope for a bigger return than this. I don't mind the Theodore salary dump, but there's not much for quality assets going back to Edmonton here.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
jmoss45

Oiler fans need to realize he has a bit of an injury history, so even when healthy won't bring full value. He also has a NTC so he has to approve the trade.

Only reason his production died off this year is because: he was injured after the questionable hit from Iginla. Secondly, as soon as he got back Hemsky was no longer working the boards on the PP to feed him for the one timer.

If you look at Souray's previous success, it has all come when he has had incredible passers feeding him (Markov, Kovalev, Hemsky, Visnovsky).

The Oil make this move because they get some pieces for the future and free the salary. They could also use a forward over 6'.

Trading Gilbert is pointless because he has little value but is still a good player (unless you truly believe he forgot how to play hockey last summer). Nilsson has been one of the few good Oilers in the past 10 so I'm not sold on trading him. Pouliot hasn't played a game yet so wait a couple more weeks before passing judgement on him. Just think about what Brule was before this year... maybe Pouliot will do more of the same. He is playing for a contract after all. And forget Horcoff, thats literally impossible at this point.

Souray and Lubo are the big moves this deadline/summer

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
txpd

I would certainly not say that Souray is a bad player. He brings a lot. I dont see the reason to trade him unless they are blowing the team up. The list of players to sign as a reason to trade him doesnt impress me considering we are talking about him being traded to Washington who needs to extend Backstrom and Fleischmann and has Ovechkin, Semin and Green under contracts as large as Souray's.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Randolph42

The Capitals don't need to pick up Souray. I agree that they need help on defense, but Souray's not the answer. If the Caps are looking to add a defenseman that is a UFA at the end of the season, I'd like to see them make a run at Anton Volchenkov from Ottawa. They would probably be able to re-sign him for only a bit more than he's making right now.

I wouldn't be upset if they picked up Kaberle, as long as the asking price isn't outrageous. However, I think they need a DFD not another OFD.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Randolph42: 01-07-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spacing
Randolph42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Randolph42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Souray is off the books next year so it wouldn't really matter, we could let him walk or sign him to a cheaper deal.
According to NHLnumbers, he's not off the books next year. He is under contract through 2012 making 4.5 million per year.

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=EDM&season=0910

Old
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Randolph42

I see that Pavel Kubina is a UFA at the end of the year, what do you think about the Capitals going after him? He's a +9 for a crappy Thrashers team, which speaks volumes. However, I don't think he's worth $5 million. Maybe more like $4 million.

If the Caps don't trade for a defender and Volchenkov re-signs with Ottawa, I think Kubina would be a good DFD.

Just my opinion...

Thoughts?

Old
01-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
We dont even need Theodore, Khabibulin should be back soon and JDD has been alright.
Actually it's very likely that Khabibulin is done for the year. Getting theodore would not be bad. Not only is he not that good but he allows us to send down dubnyk(it's obvious the kid is not ready) and give deslaurier a rest every now and then. JDD is getting killed right now with the workload.

It's a pretty good throw in imo. Get it done Tamby.

Della Rovere, Fehr, Theodore, and a pick sounds pretty solid.

EDIT: Also Randolph. Souray is pretty good defensively. Just as long as he doesn't get minutes against top teams forwards he is okay. Volchenkov sounds like a good fit but I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-sign in Ottawa.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 01-07-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Chayos

I wonder if half of these Caps fans have even seen Souray play. He isn't a stopper d-man but he is very solid defensively.

As for this rumor, I would normally have to discount it automatically because it's eklund, but its exactly what the Oilers need right now, so who knows.

The oil are in free fall mode and need to make a deal of any kind just for the sake of change and this one actually gives them some assets that they could use. The key would be getting SDR, but Fehr would look good as a winger with Gagner too. This deal needs some tweaking but it is a good base deal.

I think the 3rd from Edm and the 2nd from Washington are a wash so just remove them.

To Wash: Souray

To Edm: SDR, theodore, Fehr and a 4th

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It goes without saying that Kubina would be far more attractive. That expiring contract is very nice. Deal a first rounder and a middling prospect for him. Both Kubina and Theodore would become unrestricted in July.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:23 PM
prongerphysics

Why are we talking about Eklund deals? His last couple of rumors have just been saying some offensive defence man moving to Washington. Who's next? Toby Enstrom? Doughty to the caps?

Mike Green to play for Caps through 2012. (E4)

prongerphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Roof Daddy

I like how SDR is such an important piece to some people in this Eklund farce.

While he is entertaining with his high energy play at the junior level, Id say he's far from a sure thing at the NHL level. Many scouts believed Ryan O'Marra was going to do the exact same thing at the NHL level he did at the WJC's. As an Oil fan I can tell you he has not. Maybe SDR makes the transition perfectly, but at this point he is nothing more than a C+, mid grade prospect.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:16 AM
bretzky15

This deal has to be way to good to be true from an Oilers point of view.
The Oilers need players who will go out there and hammer people and go into the dirty areas on the ice. SDR and Fehr and both good at this. I have no problem taking Theodore, who knows maybe he can pull off another Hart Trophy

bretzky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:25 AM
LostMyGlasses*

I see the Capitals attempting to aquire a more defensive oriented dman at the deadline. Volchenkov, Hamhuis, perhaps even Sarich could be available.

These and many more suitable dmen could be available.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps fan 19 View Post

what would it take to get Visnovsky????
Alzner. Not kidding.

In regards to the original deal, this is not an overpayment AT ALL for Souray.

SDR doesn't have the upside alot of posters seem to think. Souray is not a defensive liability, look at the canuck fans in here who can attest to that. So essentially it is.... A rental goalie (salary dump), Decent prospect, couple mid grade picks, solid bottom 6 guy for a great defenseman and likely a middle pick.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Washington needs a proper defensive defenseman or a two-way one.

Not Souray.

They'd have to be crazy to go after him, with Green and AO playing the points on the PP, Souray'd be useless.

You gotta figure their primary targets have to be guys like Volchenkov and Kubina.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:04 AM
bones21212

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Souray-Green

THAT is a scary PP unit.
that defensive pairing would lead the league in short handed break aways given up.

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:23 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones21212 View Post
that defensive pairing would lead the league in short handed break aways given up.
Souray is good at not giving up the breakaway on the PP first of all his shot is so heavy it barely gets blocked and even if it does get blocked the player that blocked it is in no condition to go on a break away at all. Like its suicide to get in front of his shot. He plays back and barely ever pinches only if its a automatic pinch.

He is also one of the toughest SOBs in the NHL and not much happens in front of his net on his watch. Has lots of respect that way. His defence is under rated but he can handle his own despite limited mobility.

If it was me and i got Souray i would play a umbrella PP with souray the last men back.

Backstrom----Semin

Ovechkin----------Green

----------Souray---------

It would be pick your poison and unstoppable on the PP.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:22 AM
txpd

1. The eklund post quietly also mentions that the same traded framework discussed with Souray could apply to a deal for Kaberle. Frankly that makes some sense. The specifics of this particular trade suggestion are not correct for several reasons but the basics may not be wrong. That post reads like he has had a conversation or two with people inside the game and he is putting forward what they have been talking about.

2. While many think the Caps need a defense first stay at home player, McPhee's tendency is to get puck movers. His offense is built on transition and forechecking pressure. He needs defenseman that can start the transition who are mobile enough to cover the jailbreaks that his offense creates against them.

Yes. They dont have anyone but Erskine to clear the crease and they need that. But I can make the case that what McPhee wants more is another veteran defenseman that can move the puck and break the forecheck.

The Caps got pinned in their end by the Penguins forecheck. That was largely because Green was beaten up and Poti had a broken foot. Kubina takes up both needs. He his big and durable and has a little mean streak. He can take the pounding of the playoff forecheck and can move the puck. He has also won the Cup.

3. Everyone always thinks the Caps need to do A and McPhee does C or D

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Just basing it on the rumors I've heard surrounding Washington lately. If it isn't Souray its Kaberle. Everyday the radio talks about a heavy shot PP offensive dman to the Caps. Both have big shots that may be beneficial to the Caps, allowing OV to work the half board and slot where he surely belongs on the PP.
Kaberle never shoots the puck. His shot is decent but he never uses it. He's without a doubt the best set up man in the league though. No one can put the puck on a platter for a one timer better than Kaberle. Earlier this year, Wilson had Kaberle show his teammates how to pass at practice.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post

I think the 3rd from Edm and the 2nd from Washington are a wash so just remove them.

To Wash: Souray

To Edm: SDR, theodore, Fehr and a 4th
Souray is not THAT solid defensively and his contract will interfere with us resigning players we do want to keep. We don't need the salary dump in Theo so this particular proposal is an overpayment now AND in the off season when Backstrom and Flash need new contracts. It's length also would hinder trying to get something done with Semin next year.

Someone else mentioned he's fine as long as you don't put him against top lines. Then what is the point of this trade? We have enough bottom pairing guys as it is.

That contract is an albatross in many ways. This works on no levels.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Souray has NTC
We're not trading the heart of the team unless it's for something worthwhile.

Come on people this is Eklund!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote