HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
  #1
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Why is he getting so underrated around here lately? Hes been playing extremely well lately and deserves some recognition. When was the last time you saw a defense man stop two 2on1s and a 3on1 in two consecutive games? He is easily our #2 defenseman and is only 22 years old!

Right now Blake is sucking, and nobody is noticing it. Vlasic is getting no help from him and now is getting blame for his partners mistakes. Do you really think he would have to stop 3 2+on1s that often if Blake was doing his job?

Also, why is everyone labeling him as a guy that crumbles in the POs, especially against powerforwards? From my recent memories he has a pretty good playoff record other than those 6 games against an unstoppable Getzlaf.

But the most annoying thing is that people are under the impression that because he isnt improving (which he certainly has been) he will never get better or ever be an impact defenseman. That is plain BS. No defenseman has their prime at 22 years old and we are going to eat our words when Vlasic is in his prime.

So why is a great top 4 arguably top pairing defenseman at 22 yrs old getting so underrated?

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
  #2
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,523
vCash: 500
Vlasic has a very good stick, is very good positionally, and has good instincts. His problem is he just isn't strong enough to muscle people off the puck. Additionally, bigger forwards can lean in against him and gain body position on him.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
  #3
SharksAddict
Registered User
 
SharksAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 500
I get more fed up with his lack of offensive ability than anything.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
  #4
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
I get more fed up with his lack of offensive ability than anything.
Imo its just his offensive consistency. earlier in the year he was doing a good job jumping into the play, but than once he got in a point drought he resorted into stay at home habit. Which is fine considering he earns his pay check and then some doing that.

After getting 36 points as a 21 year old i think he has the ability (just look at the Carolina goal he had this year).

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
  #5
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor
 
deekortiz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
I think he is starting to be compared more to much better defensemen than he has in the past. I don't feel like the fans beginning to hold him to a higher standard of play is a bad thing.

Demers. A rookie that has been playing great and most would say is a bigger offensive threat right now than Vlasic is also making Vlasic not look too great.

The guys above him... Boyle is obviously not at the same level but people will still look at the two from shift to shift and compare them (Boyle would make plenty of players not look very good.) Also obviously he will never be the physical player that Murray is nor have we seen a huge improvement in Vlasic's overall play like we have seen with Douglas.

I think some people have overshadowed him so far this season so it makes him look worse than he really is. I hope that he continues to improve and starts to be a bit more under the radar as the season goes on. By that I mean upping his defensive game so their doesn't need to be a mention of his mistakes.

I think plenty of people notice Blake and Huskins when they make mistakes before calling out Vlasic for problems though.

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
  #6
Brokencow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oakland
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Imo its just his offensive consistency. earlier in the year he was doing a good job jumping into the play, but than once he got in a point drought he resorted into stay at home habit. Which is fine considering he earns his pay check and then some doing that.

After getting 36 points as a 21 year old i think he has the ability (just look at the Carolina goal he had this year).
I think he jumps up a decent amount, I just feel like he can't get the puck on the net for the life of him.

Brokencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
  #7
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,470
vCash: 500
Because you can't spell his name right.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
  #8
Slipstar
Registered User
 
Slipstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
If *I* were Vlasic, I would obsess about how slow Blake is whenever I carried the puck up the boards. It would make me sad and probably just force me to make a bad pass and skate back to center ice to preemptively bail Blake out.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:56 PM
  #9
SharksAddict
Registered User
 
SharksAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokencow View Post
I think he jumps up a decent amount, I just feel like he can't get the puck on the net for the life of him.
Agreed, and when he does its often a weak shot.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
  #10
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Why is he getting so underrated around here lately? Hes been playing extremely well lately and deserves some recognition. When was the last time you saw a defense man stop two 2on1s and a 3on1 in two consecutive games? He is easily our #2 defenseman and is only 22 years old!

Right now Blake is sucking, and nobody is noticing it. Vlasic is getting no help from him and now is getting blame for his partners mistakes. Do you really think he would have to stop 3 2+on1s that often if Blake was doing his job?

Also, why is everyone labeling him as a guy that crumbles in the POs, especially against powerforwards? From my recent memories he has a pretty good playoff record other than those 6 games against an unstoppable Getzlaf.

But the most annoying thing is that people are under the impression that because he isnt improving (which he certainly has been) he will never get better or ever be an impact defenseman. That is plain BS. No defenseman has their prime at 22 years old and we are going to eat our words when Vlasic is in his prime.

So why is a great top 4 arguably top pairing defenseman at 22 yrs old getting so underrated?
he plays the same game as he did as a rookie, hes young but hes not a rookie. He needs to work on the weaker aspects of his game in that sense, hes not improving.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
  #11
thegreatfatman
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Because we decided to keep him instead of Christian Ehrhoff, who is currently playing at a higher level, and his progress seems to have plateaued relative to a couple of years ago. In other words, we want a 2-way #2 defenseman out of him, but what we have is a defensive #3 defenseman. Which is frustrating when he's the 2nd-best d-man on the team.



Oh, and can a mod or the OP change the title. Seeing it spelled like that bothers me for some odd reason.

thegreatfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
  #12
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,345
vCash: 500
A lot of west coast players are underrated due to the minimal amount of media coverage we get - the sharks have one full time coverage guy, David Pollack, where as Canadian or north east teams have many many more...

underrated is not a bad thing overall anyway...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
  #13
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,399
vCash: 500
Firstly, he isn't a player that can carry a defensive unit. Whenever he has played well in his career, it is because he has had a good defenseman like Hannan or Blake by his side. Put him next to Semenov or an aging Blake, and he sucks all of a sudden. Likely that will change with experience, but right now, it makes me uneasy having him on the ice.

Secondly, he isn't a game changer. Hannan stepped it up in '04 when we needed someone to shutdown Forsberg and Sakic. Rathje stepped it up in '01 to shut down the St.Louis forwards. Even guys like Ehrhoff and Murray have done so in the past. All Vlasic does in the playoffs is maintain his level of play, or drop off. He isn't a guy who steps up his play with one minute left in the game and his team up by a goal.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
  #14
Artful_Dodger*
 
Artful_Dodger*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The CLT
Posts: 4,285
vCash: 500
I disagree with the notion that Blake's ****** play this season has gone unnoticed. People have definitely called him out on his crap play and the fact that he looks like a witch.

Vlasic is still young and I think that gets forgotten sometimes because of the years he has been in the league, but there is reason to be concerned about his lack of improvement in certain areas of his game.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:12 PM
  #15
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,562
vCash: 50
I don't care how old Vlasic is... At a $3.1 million cap hit, he has the responsibility to not only show up, but to control games. If Pickle's game is dependent upon the players around him, he's not in control.

Patty, Jumbo, Heater, Pavs, Boyle, Murray, Clowe.. those guys make the players round them better. So far, this season, there's no way I could say the same about Vlasic (or Blake).

I still think he's gonna turn this around. And I still think he's got the potential to be one of THE BEST defenders in the league.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
  #16
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Because Ben Franklin was wrong. Three things in life are certain...death, taxes, and Sharks fans *****ing about a dman that failed to live up their hype. You are not a true Sharks fan until you jock a defenceman during his prospect and rookie days only to turn on him two years later because he isn't Lidstrom. IE Mike Rathje, Brad Stuart, Matt Carle, Christian Ehrhoff and soon-to-be Jason Demers

__________________
Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
  #17
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
I don't care how old Vlasic is... At a $3.1 million cap hit, he has the responsibility to not only show up, but to control games. If Pickle's game is dependent upon the players around him, he's not in control.

Patty, Jumbo, Heater, Pavs, Boyle, Murray, Clowe.. those guys make the players round them better. So far, this season, there's no way I could say the same about Vlasic (or Blake).

I still think he's gonna turn this around. And I still think he's got the potential to be one of THE BEST defenders in the league.

I wouldn't quite say he is in the tax bracket to "control" games. "Manage," yes. "Control," add a couple mil.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:07 PM
  #18
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I wouldn't quite say he is in the tax bracket to "control" games. "Manage," yes. "Control," add a couple mil.
yeah, that's fine. i probably overstating things again. but i'm kinda bummed on a large portion of our defense so far this year.

pickles was asked to jump up in the offensive plays - he hasn't. pickles was asked to be more physical - he hasn't. you know, when Clowe wasn't doing well, he at least punched a few dudes' faces.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:24 PM
  #19
Artful_Dodger*
 
Artful_Dodger*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The CLT
Posts: 4,285
vCash: 500
Seriously, why doesn't the OP go back and edit the thread title? Marc-Edward is an abomination.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
  #20
tarlinian
Registered User
 
tarlinian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
$3.1 M for a game changing dman is robbery. He's certainly not overpaid for what he brings. As for his offensive abilities, he may not be putting points up, but he is far superior offensively this year than he was last year. If you think he isn't jumping up into plays, you're either blind or have a very selective memory. In comparison to Boyle, who spends more time below the hashmarks than above them in the offensive zone he isn't jumping into the play, but he's gotten much better in transition and is actually a viable offensive option now, where as before, the only time I'd see him move off the point was on power plays for a cross ice pass from Joe. He's easily the 2nd best puck moving regular on the team after Boyle by far. (I'm not counting Demers, who's defensive game is a joke in comparison to Vlasic.) Blake has turned into the worst dman on the team. His shot is much better than last year, when an actual slap shot was a rare occurrence from him. He's gotten better at moving with the puck on the point as the year has gone on. Blake was amazing at finding shooting lanes last year. (I believe someone on here did some calculations with the missed, blocked and SOG stats, and showed that half as many of his shots were blocked as the next best dman in the league.) Now he can't move to save his life (other than being a goalie I guess.)
For those who claim he gets muscled off the puck easily, that's not really true either. Unlike some larger guys such as Murray, he can't really muscle other guys off the puck. But he's progressed to the point where he can normally keep them to the outside and he can normally keep the puck long enough to get it away to a forward or his d partner (yet another area in which Blake's ineptitude makes him look worse than he is.)

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:31 PM
  #21
09
what
 
09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Vlasic has a very good stick, is very good positionally, and has good instincts. His problem is he just isn't strong enough to muscle people off the puck. Additionally, bigger forwards can lean in against him and gain body position on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
he plays the same game as he did as a rookie, hes young but hes not a rookie. He needs to work on the weaker aspects of his game in that sense, hes not improving.
For me, these two sum up my thoughts and why I criticize Vlasic in general.

I think that Vlasic has been a golden boy among HF Boards Sharks fans for so long that even slight criticism against him seems like a lot.

09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:26 PM
  #22
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
My reasons have pretty much been stated, but since this is the internet I'll state them again. I'm happy to admit I'm harsher on him than I probably should be because I think Ehrhoff would have been a much better choice to keep, but since we didn't keep him Vlasic has to be kept in context. Vlasic was kept on this team because someone thinks he can step it up, but honestly, I don't think he's having a better season than he had last year, maybe even not than the year before. I haven't seen him improve noticeable year to year (his offense improved last year, but so did everybody's). He will not make a game changing play, ever. He does not seem like a guy that can really be used to shut down an opponent, and it doesn't seem he can be relied on to be a stable force on a pairing by himself (as someone mentioned, Pickles has always been paired with better players. When Dmen get hurt, others take the new kids as their partner. Last year it was usually Ehrhoff, this time it seems to be Boyle and Huskins, for some reason). He was expected, I presume, to be the 2nd best dman on this team, and he's not playing like the 2nd best dman on a cup winning team should. I'm also still pissed by how ****** he was in the playoffs.

It's funny, I always felt (and still do kinda feel) that lots of Sharks fans badly overrate him and give him way too much slack (I know there is the "young" defense, but he's a 4th year NHL player, and I haven't seen him improve hardly at all, so I'm not buying the "young" thing).

I just don't see Vlasic being a useful 25 minute player come playoff time.

Of course, I'm talking about Marc-Edouard Vlasic, I have no freaking idea who Marc-Edward is...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
  #23
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!
 
Spacemania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Signpost Forest, YT
Country: United Nations
Posts: 28,280
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 View Post
For me, these two sum up my thoughts and why I criticize Vlasic in general.

I think that Vlasic has been a golden boy among HF Boards Sharks fans for so long that even slight criticism against him seems like a lot.
yeah, I still remember when he first came into the spotlight. He was in his teens and came out of training came red hot, and played so good the coach just couldn't find a reason to get rid of him. He really was impressive especially because of his age.

Course now that he's older, we naturally expect more out of him, but in reality I can't honestly say he's developed much. Now I don't mean to say that he's gotten worse or anything, but it just goes to show how impressive he was when he STARTED out. He still lacks any offensive game, but for me that's okay. D men don't have to be offensively gifted.

I think the real reason were frustrated at Pickles is that our expectations of his progress were unrealistic, and now were facing reality. Hes still a great D-man, but he's not gonna be like Danny Boyle either.

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:46 PM
  #24
Danish Pastry
this is dream!
 
Danish Pastry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
i still have no problem with him while i have been disappointed by him but seeing how he is 22 years old i know that he is still growing... when he has hit his prime size and still doesnt play the body well then i will ***** but right now i am not going to turn my back on him...

but again this year he has been pretty disappointing...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:13 AM
  #25
bitenuker
Registered User
 
bitenuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Mark Edward Valasick

bitenuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.