HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Shutout! Habs win 2-0

Old
01-08-2010, 07:41 AM
KingRacicot*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Well, it is the team of most French Canadians....and even if Don Cherry has an issue with it, we love our french players....and I would even go as far as to say that Montreal has been in trouble since it shed most of its French Canadians....but you are right, its a whole different conversation best left out of there for now
Oh, dont get me wrong, Sargent ... I'd love to have the Franco stars on our team. For example, I always thought the only place Mario Lemieux and Ray Bourque should have played was in Montreal. But the league being what it is, that's no longer possible. The Habs can't just snap their fingers and have the French stars. I find myself sometimes longing for the days of Richer and Carbonneau and Roy and, even further back, Lafleur, Lemaire, Houle, Lambert, Cournoyer, Savard, Lapointe, Mondou, etc, etc, etc. But that's in the past now, and I don't think it's ever coming back. The Habs are just "one team in the crowd" now. Sad but true. And as long as the league is in the hands of the New York and Toronto mafias, it'll stay that way. IMO, the league should be run out of Montreal -- I mean, didn't the game start in Montreal back in the Victorian Age? We had the Montreal AAA and Montreal Crystals way back when ... I think the NHL should be run out of Montreal.

KingRacicot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Can you explain why some members of this board are still angry about getting one excellent French Canadian (Pouliot) for another pretty good one (Latendresse)?
My post about the French Canadians was not about Pouliot vs. Latendresse. Personally, I think that trade gave us a mighty fine player! and I am glad to see Tender is doing fine in Minnesota.

That being said, I miss the era of the flying Frenchmen when the Habs had half the team made of French Canadians. Those guys simply understood that in Montreal, you have to give 110% goes back to the history and traditions of the the French Canadians....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Nice Halak with another shutout!

Pouliot scored a nice goal I love that shot

Glad to see Gomez back in business

Gionta with the empty net woooooooooooooo

Laraque played good yesterday he deserves a basket full of veggies as a reward!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Dirty Danglez
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Because Price has been way better than Halak against top teams so far...?
Sorry this might have been discussed already, but im too lazy to continue reading on in the thread... but yes. Price has been Much better against top teams so far. I'm too lazy to get the stats, but they have been shown in the price vs halak thread so go check it out for yourself.

Halak got the SO, and he played well. I still don't like the rebounds he gives up, but if he saves them afterwards, I got no problems with it! The real test is against NJ. If he plays really well, then it'll convince me he is having a better season than price. Better stats against worse teams mean nothing to me imo. I do like that Halak is 10-0 vs non playoff teams now .

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
So some of you think by comming here and posting wonderful stats and accolades. That by some miracle BG will read HF and say to himself " why didn't i think of that " and trade Price.
It's very evident that this is all done on purpose $ wise. Both being RFA's and both will be commanding more $. Place Price against tough teams to keep his stats down = less $ on his next contract. Play Halak against weaker teams to boost his stats for a trade.
While I agree Halak hasn't played the top teams in the league,he is still making around 40+ saves a game.

You gotta start to wonder if Gainey would ever trade Price what kind of return is out there for him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

There's nothing like a good goaltending controversy to fuel fans and media...

Everything is polarized. Almost everyone has an opinion. It's all consuming (the coach is involved because he picks who plays - the GM is involved because he helped foster the situation and can also end it). It's back baby!!!

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Capitano

We won, I'm happy.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
While I agree Halak hasn't played the top teams in the league,he is still making around 40+ saves a game.

You gotta start to wonder if Gainey would ever trade Price what kind of return is out there for him
I doubt that the return would be that big. The market for goalies right now is at its all-time low (besides for Philly). Just look at what teams got in return when they got rid of goalies like Bryzgalov, Luongo, Biron or Tomas Vokoun.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:59 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

40+ saves against a team full of rainmen
give up the rebounds that he does against pittsburgh and not florida and the game is 8-2 for pittsburgh

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
40+ saves against a team full of rainmen
give up the rebounds that he does against pittsburgh and not florida and the game is 8-2 for pittsburgh
What rebounds? Biggest myth out there, tell me how Halak's rebound control are worst than Price's?

Does Halak have good rebound control? Not really, even if it's not mediocre like you try to paint it...

But, it's not like Price is the king of rebound control either.

Stop talking out of your ass and making ridiculous projections and wait for Halak to play against tougher teams before making any judgements.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:12 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
What rebounds? Biggest myth out there, tell me how Halak's rebound control are worst than Price's?

Does Halak have good rebound control? Not really, even if it's not mediocre like you try to paint it...

Stop talking out of your ass and making ridiculous projections and wait for Halak to play against tougher teams before making any judgements.
If you think that he wouldnt get lit up by pittsbugh you are in another universe.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
If you think that he wouldnt get lit up by pittsbugh you are in another universe.
do you even cheer for the habs?

sure halak could lit up by pittsburgh or he could shut them done completely.

he stole games from great teams before (san jose comes to mind) so what makes you think he cant do it now? the fact that he had like 3 really bad games this year and they were against Pittsburgh and Buffalo? Without our best defenseman?
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:32 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
Nice Halak with another shutout!

Pouliot scored a nice goal I love that shot

Glad to see Gomez back in business

Gionta with the empty net woooooooooooooo

Laraque played good yesterday he deserves a basket full of veggies as a reward!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
We won, I'm happy.

Finally a couple of posts in the PGT actually mentioning there was even a game last night...Good job guy's...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:38 AM
KingRacicot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The only "possible" sat padding that's been done is in the W/L column, where both goalies have played about the same amount of 'weaker' teams. Halak is undefeated where-as Price is, I believe, a shade below the .500 clip in those games.
Ah, but are you forgetting that top-tier teams have top-tier players? 30 shots from the Panthers most assuredly does not equal 30 shots from the Penguins or Caps. I'm sure you'll agree. So yeah, a guy who faces only creampuffs will be facing less dangerous shooters in general than a guy who faces only snipers and speedsters (i.e. the difference between teams like Florida and teams like Washington). I suppose this point can be best demonstrated by asking you the following question:

If you were an NHL goalie and were going into a seven-game series for the Cup, would you rather be facing Nathan Horton, Radek Dvorak & Co. or Green, Backstrom, Laich & The Great 8?

Take your time thinking about that one.

KingRacicot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:38 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I doubt that the return would be that big. The market for goalies right now is at its all-time low (besides for Philly). Just look at what teams got in return when they got rid of goalies like Bryzgalov, Luongo, Biron or Tomas Vokoun.
Yes, but you don't count. Thank goodness there are real GM's out there that would recognize Price's top end talent and would be willing to dish out to get him !
Imagine if the Flyers actually had a goaltender, imagine the Leafs or even the Bruins with a goaltender. I am willing to bet that Edmonton would be willing to give the shirt off their back for Price. It ain't going to happen. Price is staying, get use to it folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Wrong all over this post. It is proven that Price has magic rebound control. Halak doesn't. Terrible arguement. Speaking of talking out ones *** ?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-08-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Merge
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Habs played a half decent game last night, the absence of the Kosty brothers is noticed though, kind of sucks just when everyone else is getting healthy. Props to Pools, Laps, BGL, Gomer, and Halak and good games.

Too many goalie fanboys in this forum, cheer for the Habs not the player names. Play Roy, play Hayward, play Hackett, play Theo, play Garon, play Huet, play Price, play Halak. Same thing every year. Montreal's problems have been goal scoring not preventing for forever now. Just enjoy having 2 great goalies and quit *****ing when one or the other loses.

And Luongo is so overrated, has he won anything? I am not being facetious, did he win Jr gold, or mem cup or AHL hardware? I don't think he has. At least Price has World Jr gold and a Calder Cup with MVP''s for both, that is real hardware for his age. Until Luongo actually wins something I am not sold on him being "elite".

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Yes, but you don't count. Thank goodness there are real GM's out there that would recognize Price's top end talent and would be willing to dish out to get him !
Imagine if the Flyers actually had a goaltender, imagine the Leafs or even the Bruins with a goaltender. I am willing to bet that Edmonton would be willing to give the shirt off their back for Price. It ain't going to happen. Price is staying, get use to it folks.
Agreed! Except for one thing the bruins have 2 good goalies and even if price could fetch a high return via trade, i still wouldn't trade him.

To the poster earlier who said Price didn't have better rebound control then Halak, im sorry but thats just ridiculous. They're both great and excel in they're own aspects of goaltending but when it comes to rebounds Price is clearly a step ahead of Halak. Notice next game on how most of Prices rebounds end up in the corners or to a defenceman. Thats great rebound control and very hard to learn and even teach.
Posted via Mobile Device

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRacicot View Post
Ah, but are you forgetting that top-tier teams have top-tier players? 30 shots from the Panthers most assuredly does not equal 30 shots from the Penguins or Caps. I'm sure you'll agree.
Actually most teams have similar shooting percentages. Good snipers like Ovechkin (or, closer to home, Cammalleri) don't rack up goals because they score on a higher percentage of their shots, they score more because they generate more shots.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:17 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
You are forgetting Edmonton... And Carolina might want to shed some salary and trade Cam Ward. They would need a good, cheap replacement, then.

Halak is a very good goalie... Very good for about 30-40 games a year. He doesn't have the body, and stamina of Carey Price, unfortunately.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Bruins? lolllllllll

I bet you'll find a way to downplay Rask's pre-NHL success and current season stats (.933 sv%, 1.92 GAA) .. Plus, aside from him, all they have is a vezina trophy winner..
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Bruins? lolllllllll

I bet you'll find a way to downplay Rask's pre-NHL success and current season stats (.933 sv%, 1.92 GAA) .. Plus, aside from him, all they have is a vezina trophy winner..
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL so did Theodore, enough said.
Teams are starting to adjust to his Tuna style goaltending.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferreira123 View Post
Agreed! Except for one thing the bruins have 2 good goalies and even if price could fetch a high return via trade, i still wouldn't trade him.

To the poster earlier who said Price didn't have better rebound control then Halak, im sorry but thats just ridiculous. They're both great and excel in they're own aspects of goaltending but when it comes to rebounds Price is clearly a step ahead of Halak. Notice next game on how most of Prices rebounds end up in the corners or to a defenceman. Thats great rebound control and very hard to learn and even teach.
Posted via Mobile Device
All this talk of rebound control is getting ahead of itself. If Carey's rebound control is so clearly better than Halak's, then so is Halak's ability to track and stop the initial shot, and one certainly comes before the other.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:38 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Ah, but are you forgetting that top-tier teams have top-tier players? 30 shots from the Panthers most assuredly does not equal 30 shots from the Penguins or Caps. I'm sure you'll agree. So yeah, a guy who faces only creampuffs will be facing less dangerous shooters in general than a guy who faces only snipers and speedsters (i.e. the difference between teams like Florida and teams like Washington). I suppose this point can be best demonstrated by asking you the following question:

If you were an NHL goalie and were going into a seven-game series for the Cup, would you rather be facing Nathan Horton, Radek Dvorak & Co. or Green, Backstrom, Laich & The Great 8?

Take your time thinking about that one.
Let's try:

If you were an NHL goalie and wanted to pad your GAA and SV% (which you've admittedly said are the stats that matter for goalies...not Wins), would you rather play a team like Buffalo, who has a .690 win % and score 2.74 goals per game, or a "cream-puff" team like Atlanta who score 3.07 goals per game but are only one game above .500???

You can take your time thinking about that one.

---

There's a big flaw in your system and there's no way around it. You're being hypocritical in saying that wins don't matter when you're assessing a goaltender because it completely disregards the teams offence, yet you turn around and judge a team's offence based on their Win % only.

I'm not pro Halak or anything and have picked Price in my pool. I like Price and think he's a great goaltender. Just tired of your referring to this stats system of yours that is completely flawed.

If GAA and SV% is what you think matters re-do your stats and see how well a goaltender's GAA stacks up against their opponents GFA and how their SV% stacks up against a team's shooting percentage.

That should give you an accurate picture.

Quote:
Oh, dont get me wrong, Sargent ... I'd love to have the Franco stars on our team. For example, I always thought the only place Mario Lemieux and Ray Bourque should have played was in Montreal. But the league being what it is, that's no longer possible. The Habs can't just snap their fingers and have the French stars. I find myself sometimes longing for the days of Richer and Carbonneau and Roy and, even further back, Lafleur, Lemaire, Houle, Lambert, Cournoyer, Savard, Lapointe, Mondou, etc, etc, etc. But that's in the past now, and I don't think it's ever coming back. The Habs are just "one team in the crowd" now. Sad but true. And as long as the league is in the hands of the New York and Toronto mafias, it'll stay that way. IMO, the league should be run out of Montreal -- I mean, didn't the game start in Montreal back in the Victorian Age? We had the Montreal AAA and Montreal Crystals way back when ... I think the NHL should be run out of Montreal.
WOW! You actually think like this???

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-08-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Merge
fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
All this talk of rebound control is getting ahead of itself. If Carey's rebound control is so clearly better than Halak's, then so is Halak's ability to track and stop the initial shot, and one certainly comes before the other.
I think Halak is quicker lateraly and yes gets infront of the puck better. Price is better positionally, better with rebound control and better stick handler. I think they're both great though, I want to keep both but if i had to keep 1 it would Price. He has too much potential to let go at this age.
Posted via Mobile Device

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Does anyone here other than me think that Laraque actually played good hockey? Sounds weird to me too... but that cross-crease pass he made to Metro in the first was pretty sexy, and should of been buried.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote