HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Seguin Highlights

Old
01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
CupofOil
We got McDavid?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I hate to say it, but the sad thing is I don't think either of these kids is a future NHL difference maker. Of all the years for the Oilers to finally tank, they pick this one. I think we'll see the same thing next year.
Really? You're entitled to your own opinion but what makes you think that Hall, Seguin and Fowler won't be difference makers in the NHL? I personally see two guys who can be big difference makers in Hall and Fowler, i can't say much about Seguin since i've never seen him play.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:33 PM
CupofOil
We got McDavid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO Hall or Seguin would be great, Fowler would also be fine IF we drop to #3 or below. I still want Hall, the kid is like then Timex watch, he takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Not to mention that a couple of goals that he scored in particular the one on the rush that he picked the top corner far side was something out of this world.
I agree about Hall, the kid just oozes talent, yeah he got knocked off the puck a lot but like you said, he bounced back each and every time and his speed is something to behold.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
40oz

Great Articles by J. Willis this mornin' on Hall/Seguin VS previous years draft top end OHLers

http://my.thescore.com/hockeyordie/a...s-part-ii.aspx

And no, I dont think the top end of this draft is weak. We would be lucky to have any of the big 3.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:56 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Really? You're entitled to your own opinion but what makes you think that Hall, Seguin and Fowler won't be difference makers in the NHL? I personally see two guys who can be big difference makers in Hall and Fowler, i can't say much about Seguin since i've never seen him play.
I think all 3 of them can be differance makes at the NHL level. I think Fowler could be a franchise D, Seguin a 1st line center and Hall a sniper... its just a matter of who's the best.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 01:00 PM
r0adApples

Get Toronto's pick and take them both.

r0adApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
arent Penner, Hall, Eberle and MPS all LWs ? which leads me to a very imp Q..

how good are Seguin's faceoff stats?

Pajaarvi-Seguin-Hemsky
Eberle-Gagner-Penner
Eberle is RW and Penner can play all positions, we could have 3 scoring lines next year if Hall, MPS and Eberle come

MPS-Gagner-Eberle
Hall-Brule-Hemsky
O'Sully/Big forward-Horcoff-Penner

Or something

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Great Articles by J. Willis this mornin' on Hall/Seguin VS previous years draft top end OHLers

And no, I dont think the top end of this draft is weak. We would be lucky to have any of the big 3.
figured i'd quote a similar post i did in the "fall for hall" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
there has been a lot of talk about how hall and seguin stack up against previous top-3 draft picks... some people have been saying that they are not as good as past years... so i thought i'd take a look at all the CHL forwards that have been drafted in the top-3 since the 2000 NHL draft

the table below shows the player, their 16, 17 and 18 year old seasons PPG and team point %... age is determined by the players age on january 1st of that season.... the team % is a way to indicate the players contribution to a team, so a player playing a stacked team can be compared more accurately to a player playing on a weak team... the formula is players points divided by team goals... if there is no team % listed, its because that player was traded through the season and it would be too difficult to figure it out team by team.... i also listed the players NHL PPG, but of course the younger players like duchene and stamkos will likely see an improvement in this statistic over time.... the draft year is the last year shown

Name 16 - PPG 16 - % 17 - PPG 17 - % 18 - PPG 18 - % NHL - PPG
Taylor Hall 1.33301.43291.7432 
Tyler Seguin1.1271.7143   
John Tavares2472411.86 0.68
Matt Duchene0.78201.3930  0.61
Steven Stamkos1.46341.7242  0.7
Patrick Kane    2.5480.93
Jordan Staal0.4212125  0.5
Sidney Crosby2.29482.7150  1.35
Bobby Ryan0.6191.4436  0.79
Eric Staal 0.77221.11261.48440.88
Nathan Horton1.05331.2628  0.69
Rick Nash 1.14301.6334  0.81
Jason Spezza1.06361.17382.07 1.01

now, if you look at the average for the draft year PPG for already drafted players (ie. not hall and seguin), the average is 1.73 PPG.... hall is at 1.74 and seguin is at 1.71, so both are almost exactly average....if you look at team % for drafted players in their draft year.... hall is better (higher %) than 3 draftees and seguin is better than 6 draftees.... i would argue that if i bothered to figure out either tavares or spezzas % for their draft year it would be quite high, so both hall and taylor are most likely behind these two players as well.... so hall is in the bottom third and seguin is in the top half for team %

all said and done, there doesn't appear to be any stats that jump out at me here.... hall and seguin appear to be about average top-3 forward CHL picks in the draft... if i had to pick comparables from the list, i would pick nash and stamkos, as they seem roughly on par with these two draftees in both PPG and %.... i would say that the talk about them being vastly worse OR better than past top-3 CHL forwards would be incorrect.... they seem about as average as you could get for such a draft pick
i come up with essentially the same conclusions as the writer you linked to

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

I hate that I haven't got a chance to see this guy play yet. He looks like he belongs right up there with Hall.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
the word*

With all of the big three; there is absolutely no reason for them to be sent back to junior as there is nothing for them to accomplish.

Remember, most draft years people come out in droves to say this or that player shouldn't get picked first overal. It even happened in the Ovechkin and Crosby draft years to a limited extent. It certainly happened in the Kane and Stamkos draft years (I recall bust predictions for both). In 2009, by time draft day came along it was a 50/50 split with Tavares and Hedman. People were actually saying astoundingly negative things about Tavare's one dimensionality and his porous skating that would never translate to the NHL.

In 2006, I think it's fair to say Erik Johnson might not have been taken 1st overall in retrospect, but Johnson is quietly putting together a 40 point season, and on pace to play 81 games. 2006 is not as strong of a crop as 2010 in my opinion, but that year still produced lots of good ones in the top 4 (Johnson, Staal, Toews, and Backstrom).

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
boopronger

Hall will be better then Tavares.

boopronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopronger View Post
Hall will be better then Tavares.
I don't know about that. Hall doesn't seem to have nearly the hockey sense that Tavares does. He's physically much more talented don't get me wrong but that isn't the end all be all.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Vdhawan89
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post

Wow, cool article. Sold me on Seguin a little more.

Vdhawan89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:54 PM
the word*

Tyler Seguin 3-on-3 Highlgihts

Last edited by the word*: 02-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old
02-21-2010, 03:26 PM
VelvetJones

Just get someone that can play center.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Tyler Seguin 3-on-3 Highlgihts

That 2nd last goal was pretty sick. Everything in the highlight package was pleasing. Heh.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Just get someone that can play center.
Anton Lander.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 04:05 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
Anton Lander.
He's 3rd/4th line stuff.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
Anton Lander.
He's a shutdown centre. In terms of offensive centres in the pipeline the only guy we have atm is Gagner ..

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Eberle is RW and Penner can play all positions, we could have 3 scoring lines next year if Hall, MPS and Eberle come

MPS-Gagner-Eberle
Hall-Brule-Hemsky
O'Sully/Big forward-Horcoff-Penner

Or something
I think you should lower your expectations. I doubt Eberle is ever as good as Hemsky...and if he is it won't be for a while since Hemsky is just entering his prime.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:30 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I think you should lower your expectations. I doubt Eberle is ever as good as Hemsky...and if he is it won't be for a while since Hemsky is just entering his prime.
Agreed. However, that poster may be looking to balance out the lines.

MPS - Gagner - Hemsky - who would shoot the puck? It makes some sense to put a sniper there. Instead this is a possibility:

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
MPS - Brule - Eberle

To me - this doesn't work as well for us either - Penner should be on the top two lines, even to bolster the size. Brule and Eberle on the same line is too small a presence. I like Hall, but drafting Seguin would complement what we already have a little better:

Penner/MPS - Seguin - Hemsky - Penner gives the line more scoring, but MPS, Seguin, Hemsky would be sublime off the rush
MPS/Penner - Gagner - Eberle - MPS adds speed to the line, Penner adds size

That would be a very soild top 6, IMO.

I think Brule is the smurf that needs to fall to the 3rd line behind Gagner and Eberle - he'd be more effective there than Ebs or Gags, IMO. Potential bottom 6 of:

Omark - Horcoff - Brule - scoring/checking line
JFJ - Pouliot - Stortini - energy line

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:52 PM
voxel

Hall = Tavares(ish)
Seguin = Duchene

Can't believe we are *****ing about "only" getting either. I'll be ECSTATIC the day we pick 1st or 2nd.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:46 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I hate to say it, but the sad thing is I don't think either of these kids is a future NHL difference maker. Of all the years for the Oilers to finally tank, they pick this one. I think we'll see the same thing next year.
They said that the year Kane went first.

Van-rymsyk(sp?) is turning into a good one also.

Turris remains to be seen.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Boilers*

Seguin seems to be so perimiter that it scares the hell out of me. Most of his goals seem to be from the easily (NHL equivalent) blocked 30 feet out or more, with a few fly-by-net-tip-ins ala Reddox.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Seguin seems to be so perimiter that it scares the hell out of me. Most of his goals seem to be from the easily (NHL equivalent) blocked 30 feet out or more, with a few fly-by-net-tip-ins ala Reddox.
To be fair, he does cycling in high traffic areas. That to me, is the most impressive part of his game. Will it translate to the NHL? Certainly not to the degree it does in the OHL. He also goes hard through the slot, almost like Patrick Kane, but from as far as I can tell, not as often. My biggest fear about Seguin is he might be a little too much like Spezza, I can definitely see your perimeter concerns. I don't like Spezza, never have, and I don't want to build a franchise around a player like that. Some would be delighted if Seguin could turn out to be the next Spezza. I would not...

Old
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
They said that the year Kane went first.

Van-rymsyk(sp?) is turning into a good one also.

Turris remains to be seen.
Yeah it seems like we hear this fairly often. Last season it was Tavares is not what he hyped up to be and will fall flat in the bigs. As you said I recall people saying similar things about Kane (too small, will disappear and struggle against men, late birth date, overrated etc... etc...). IMO both kids (Hall and Seguin) will be very good players but time will tell.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote