HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

When do you know it's time for new skates?

Old
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
When do you know it's time for new skates?

I am curious.

I have some RBK 7k's I bought 2007 model(in 2008). While it's hard for me to guesstimate how many hours of skating I've put into them I am just wondering when do you know when to get new skates?

I have played (going into) 4 straight seasons...maybe 80 games...plus about 20-30 hours of drop-in, public skating, and practice time. So I am guessing somewhere near 120+ hours of skating.

Just wondering when the best time(or when) you know when it's time to replace your skates?

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If they feel less supportive, if you see them coming apart, if you know something's wrong but feel fine when you change into other skates...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=50671

You replace them when they need to be replaced. If they're still in good condition and aren't too soft, keep wearing them. If you're tired of wearing them and want something new, replace them. If they break beyond repair, replace them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I am curious.

I have some RBK 7k's I bought 2007 model(in 2008). While it's hard for me to guesstimate how many hours of skating I've put into them I am just wondering when do you know when to get new skates?

I have played (going into) 4 straight seasons...maybe 80 games...plus about 20-30 hours of drop-in, public skating, and practice time. So I am guessing somewhere near 120+ hours of skating.

Just wondering when the best time(or when) you know when it's time to replace your skates?
To be honest, I do more than that in one season and my skates are still in great shape. If you want new skates, buy them. If yours are beat, get new. It should be obvious to you if your skates no longer do what you expect of them.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:01 AM

I had my Vapor 10's for 8 years before I got new skates this Christmas. I've played at least once a week for 8 years straight, and for about 3-4 years when I first got the skates it was about 2-3 uses a week.

It also depends on the quality of skate you buy. Vapor 10s were the **** back in the day so they lasted a bit longer lol

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Blackjack

I've had my skate two or three years now, I play at least once a week, usually twice and add a public skate in too, so I'd say at least 100 hours a year. One of the lace gromits popped out of the leather and the insides are starting to look a little gnarly, but I'd say I should have at least another year or two.

The problem is that I'll say 'well, I should just get a new pair so I can break it in while I'm still using the old pair', next thing you know I like the new skates so much I'm not using the old ones anymore so I'm going to try to hold out a bit with these.

Gloves on the other hand I need a pair of gloves that doesn't start breaking down in six months.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote