HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes Prospect Discussion & Updates (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Seems like not all that long ago we were having a spat with Jesse Lane over even being able to afford to sign him. The organization has certainly come a long way over the course of that decade.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Seems like not all that long ago we were having a spat with Jesse Lane over even being able to afford to sign him. The organization has certainly come a long way over the course of that decade.
For sure. The climate of team building has certainly changed the landscape. The CBA and the elimination of the last two rounds of the draft have made a big difference too. 60 extra players off the market every season and expiration of rights means that there will be QUALITY overage prospects out there available and more NCAA free agents cropping up that were overlooked during their draft years and are now eligible to be signed. The teams that have gotten in early on the new wave of UFA college players especially have gotten rewarded for their aggression in that market. Burke being at the forefront with guys like Penner and the group he has put together, and sometimes traded, in Toronto. It's an interesting new wrinkle that I really wish Carolina would attack aggressively.

Edit: Plus, the contributing late blooming players have increased the chances for teams to draft a player his second time through the draft it seems. I have noticed, perhaps in error, that it seems like teams are willing to go all in on a player in the draft that is a bit older than his peers now.

Last edited by Vagrant: 03-18-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

Frederik Andersen had 35 saves on 36 shots in Frölundas win yesterdays against Brynäs. The victory kept Frölunda alive in the quarter-final series, but they still got their back against the wall trailing 3-2 in games in the best of 7 series.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

^

Old
03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
KRM

Frölunda lose 3-4 in overtime and are knocked out in the quarterfinals, must say I'm really disappointed in Andersen overall through this series.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

BC plays Air Force tomorrow at 4PM in the first round of the NCAA Hockey Tournament. It'll be on espn3.com

Old
03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Frölunda lose 3-4 in overtime and are knocked out in the quarterfinals, must say I'm really disappointed in Andersen overall through this series.
Yes, it would certainly qualify as a playoff choke on his part. He looked tired.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I wouldn't be surprised if Andersen suffered from fatigue given his size and the fact that this is probably the most grueling stretch of hockey he has ever played in his career, not to mention he had an injury setback earlier this year. Still, there's a lot for us Canes fans to be excited about once/if he comes over. But who knows, he could possibly be another Justin Peters or Mike Murphy. We don't need him to be a star, although it would be nice to have a Thomas/Rask type combo at some point. I think Canes fans would settle for him becoming a back-up goalie who can play 20-30 solid games if needed.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:58 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Noticed that Calgary has started their playoff series in the WHL and Rask hasn't played in either of their first two games. He played in their regular season finale and I haven't been able to find any news in regards to any type of injury. Anyone have any details as to why he hasn't been in the line-up?

Old
03-24-2012, 01:44 PM
KRM

Fwiw, posted on a fan forum that Andersen and Carolina have come to terms on a contract which will be signed soon.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Noticed that Calgary has started their playoff series in the WHL and Rask hasn't played in either of their first two games. He played in their regular season finale and I haven't been able to find any news in regards to any type of injury. Anyone have any details as to why he hasn't been in the line-up?
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/03/23...gs-take-game-1

Quote:
The Calgary Hitmen have won all season because of their depth.

They didn't have any Thursday night and it showed on the scoreboard.

With captain Cody Sylvester and dynamic Swede Victor Rask both scratched due to undisclosed injuries, the Hitmen were unable to keep up with the high-flying Brandon Wheat Kings.
He's injured unfortunately

Old
03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
BC plays Air Force tomorrow at 4PM in the first round of the NCAA Hockey Tournament. It'll be on espn3.com
Just realized ESPN has an app on xbox where you can watch this game in HD on your TV if you have xbox live!

Old
03-24-2012, 03:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Anton View Post
Just realized ESPN has an app on xbox where you can watch this game in HD on your TV if you have xbox live!
wait, what? not that I'm at home right now, but this is a massive win.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
wait, what? not that I'm at home right now, but this is a massive win.
yep, any games on ESPN and ESPN3.com can be seen in HD through the app. Pretty awesome stuff!

Also, Dumoulin looks pretty good so far. Never realized how smooth of a skater he was.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

yeah, he doesn't have the sheer speed you'd want, but he's not nearly as choppy as he was as a Freshman with the Eagles. I'm sure it's something that Jerry York has had him working on. He's helped some damn good players including Gionta, Gerbe, Orpik, Scuderri, and Rob Blake

Old
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Is it just me or has Dumoulin noticeably gotten bigger every season? He looks like a giant out there now. That combined with his effortless looking skating kind of makes him look slow and lackadaisical. But I'll defer to the Hockey East coaches since they voted him best defensive d-men for 2 seasons in a row.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Carolina misses out on UDFA defender Torey Krug, who attended our camp last year on his own dime, to Boston. RLR has called him "the most dangerous offensive defender in college hockey", right now. I was kind of disappointed we didn't get him.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Aussie Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Anton View Post
Sorry mate! Would have told you it was on there about a year and a half ago if I didn't think everyone already knew about it. I thought I was late to the party

Old
03-25-2012, 06:25 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Carolina misses out on UDFA defender Torey Krug, who attended our camp last year on his own dime, to Boston. RLR has called him "the most dangerous offensive defender in college hockey", right now. I was kind of disappointed we didn't get him.
Damn, thought we prettymuch had him in the bag too.

I know we're in the running for Welsh though, and that might be an even more important signing for us if we can make it.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:45 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Who is the last UDFA college d-man that has had a serious impact in the NHL? Boyle? Rafalski? I'm not trying to write off Krug already but the odds are stacked against him. I don't think we'll be missing much considering the depth we have in offensive D prospects already.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Who is the last UDFA college d-man that has had a serious impact in the NHL? Boyle? Rafalski? I'm not trying to write off Krug already but the odds are stacked against him. I don't think we'll be missing much considering the depth we have in offensive D prospects already.
There aren't a TON of impact players, but there are a number of legit NHL defenders. Boyle and Rafalski aren't too far back. Stu Bickel is a recent example. Raphael Diaz for the Habs. Matt Gilroy. Mark Giordano. Andy Greene. Josh Gorges. Dan Girardi. Jack Hillen. Matt Taormina. Jim Vandermeer.

Not exactly a "who's who" of NHL talent, but there are certainly some valuable top four guys who have floated around and found homes in the NHL. With the draft shortening in rounds, more players go off the radar.

Not that it's a sizable loss, but any time a team like Carolina is in the running for a Hobey Baker challenger from defense and you can add them to the organization, it's a positive thing. It would have been nice to have seen him get a shot.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:35 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Hurricane View Post
Sorry mate! Would have told you it was on there about a year and a half ago if I didn't think everyone already knew about it. I thought I was late to the party
Yeah i've actually only had my 360 for a few months now. I used to be a ps3 guy.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
I know we're in the running for Welsh though, and that might be an even more important signing for us if we can make it.
Where'd you hear that?

Would be a good signing, and pretty cool. A guy from my town played with him at Union before heading over to Sweden after graduating.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Where'd you hear that?

Would be a good signing, and pretty cool. A guy from my town played with him at Union before heading over to Sweden after graduating.
One of the recent Union games there were quite a few pretty significant figures checking out the game. Among them were Chia for Boston and Francis for us, have to think it's pretty serious if Ronnie's the one checking out the games, especially when it doesn't otherwise involve a prospect of this team.

I think it was one of the ESPN guys that brought it up (Bucci?) on Twitter.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Additionally, anybody paying halfway decent attention to our forward group KNOWS that any prospect in the Matt Read mold that is somewhat prepared to play NHL hockey right now will be given every opportunity to jump in immediately, and not some "show me" icetime like those kids in Toronto got the other season like Marcel Mueller. While destination is important, opportunity is just as important if not more to these otherwise overlooked players. I think the evaporation of realistic opportunity is the reason we lost Krug.

Closed Thread