HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes Prospect Discussion & Updates (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Tlusty would be up first I think. I agree he will likely be up for good at that point but from what I've seen I think they should leave him the same place for awhile and let him build some confidence in the ahl. He hasn't been THAT good yet. Still seems to be game to game and hasn't figured out the pro style yet. Still feeling his way. I think when things were really bad earlier in the season if they had cap space he'd have been up permanently in Dec whether he deserved it or not.

Old
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Tlusty is injured at the moment, which sucks a lot.

Old
02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Boychuk needs time in the AHL, if for nothing else than to humble him for a while. I think a lot of things have come a lot too easy for Boychuk to this point in his career and his frustration about not being in the NHL and taking shifts off in the AHL need not be resolved by promoting him to the NHL again. We've heard several talking heads from Maurice to Francis to Forslund say that Boychuk needs to bring that work ethic to the rink every shift of every game.

I would like to see Boychuk, who is naturally skilled enough to be a PPG player in Albany with Bowman too, hunker down and try to become that player instead of longing for the NHL when he hasn't really paid his dues.

Tlusty deserves to be up ahead of him. He has kept his head down and worked hard regardless of where he has been. Jerome Samson as well. Nick Dodge, Nic Blanchard, etc.

Nothing at all wrong with pissing a kid off to bring up that battle in his game if that's what he needs. Physically, he's there in terms of skill. Mentally, it hasn't clicked yet. He can work on that down there.

Old
03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Samson with a goal and three assists today as Rats demolished Binghamton 6-1 - Chaput & Boychuk with three points each.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quite the logjam in Albany goal now, with Pogge, Peters, and Murph.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
Quite the logjam in Albany goal now, with Pogge, Peters, and Murph.
How is it a logjam? Murphy is hurt, no? And Peters is with the big club for the remainder of the year or at least a good chunk of it. When Murphy comes back, Morrison goes back to Florida.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
geehaad

How much will the addition of Osala to Albany coupled with his loss from the Bears do to even things out between the teams?

Old
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
How much will the addition of Osala to Albany coupled with his loss from the Bears do to even things out between the teams?
Not much, they didn't lose any goalies, key scorers or defensemen - don't get me wrong, with his addition it improves us, but not enough to say we're even with the Bears.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Keith Aucoin and Alexander Giroux are the heartbeat of that squad. They're both around 30 years old and well over a point per game in Hershey. Any team, so inclined, could sign guys like this and dominate the AHL.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Keith Aucoin and Alexander Giroux are the heartbeat of that squad. They're both around 30 years old and well over a point per game in Hershey. Any team, so inclined, could sign guys like this and dominate the AHL.
And it wouldn't be a bad idea for us to do so next season. If there's any kind of significant turnover on the roster for next year then we're likely to fill most of the spots from within. Assuming Ray even re-signs (not a given) we still need a #2/3 centerman, a 4th line centerman (if Rod retires) and a 13th forward. So that's as many as 4 roster spots that need to be filled. Guys like Tlusty, Boychuk, Dodge and Blanchard are likely to fill those roles, although we're likely to get one spot filled through UFA in which retaining Whitney is included as an option there.

With the only real additions there likely being Dalpe, Morneau and probably Matt Kennedy. It wouldn't be a bad idea for us to go out there and try to bring back Bayda or an Aucoin/Krog type player on a two-way deal if only to give Charlotte a boost. I'd like to see MicFlickier get a two-way contract from the Canes as well, he's been awesome for Albany this year.

Last edited by DaveG: 03-03-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
While those two certainly put up a lion's share of the points, they're not exactly the only reason they're doing so well down there.

The Caps have 7 or 8 pretty good prospects down there who do a good share of carrying the load.

i mean, if you look at a few other teams in the AHL, they've also got a few studs (the Moose for one).

I would also point to Carlson and Alzner (along with McNeill) carrying the weight on defense. In goal, between Neuvirth and Holtby, it's all Caps prospects.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Yeah Hershey is stacked from top to bottom. They don't have many holes on their roster, if any at all.

Old
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Caps fan here.

Does Osala get time with the big club or is he sent down to the farm?

Old
03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Caps fan here.

Does Osala get time with the big club or is he sent down to the farm?
Starts off with the Rats, but there's a good chance he could move up to the Canes for a few games at some point this season.

Old
03-03-2010, 10:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

I know it was only 1 poster, but as has been pointed out, Hershey is built as a team from top to bottom ...players for all roles from scorers to grinders, PP to PK, and prospects in the line-up contributing on a regular basis including the goalies to go along with the vets. Plenty of games to be played, but this is not and was not a one line team.

Hershey's Active Roster includes a number of Caps draft picks and FA signing prospects: G Holtby, Neuvirth; D: Alzner, Carlson, P. McNeill (injured), Miskovic; F: Beagle, Bouchard, Bourque, Dubuc (injured/Hershey contract), AGordon, Perreault, Pinizzotto, Wilson...to go along with vets on D like Amadio and Helmer and vets up front like Kane, Giroux and Aucoin. This team is not just about Giroux and Aucoin.

I like Osala and his upside, but as a LW he was deep on the depth chart in the Caps organization and he has had his ups and downs since signing. His skating looked improved to my eyes between last season and training camp this season and in games I watched this season, but there is still room for improvement and I expect it will happen...big body, young player...takes time to develop a player of this type. And he isn't afraid to shoot the puck. He struggled to get playing time in Hershey on higher lines, including PP time, ahead of some others, but he was contributing on the scoreboard although not consistently. I want to see him do well, so in that context not happy he was traded within the division.

Any updates on how Casey Borer has been doing since his return? It's great to see that he is back playing hockey!

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 03-03-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old
03-03-2010, 11:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Casey had a brilliant start in his return, something around 3 points in his first 5 games back. He hasn't kept that production up but that's not his game to begin with. From what I've heard he's looked good but is still trying to keep up with the play as he's getting back into game form. I'm REALLY hoping he gets a callup here by the end of the season, it would be one of the best feel good stories of the year in the league.

And yeah, what the Caps have done with Hershey is outright admirable. Hershey has typically been one of the better AHL franchises but the Caps have loaded their organization from top to bottom. It's the model I'd like to see the Canes try to emulate, try to get the best instruction and a winning atmosphere around the team from the day they're signed. I honestly believe it's a big reason why the Wings for years now and the Caps of late have been so good. Their kids are given time to develop and are being taught the system from day 1. I like the direction the Canes are going in as far as that goes, but they're still a couple steps behind.

Old
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
sk84fun_dc

thanks for the update...a feel good story, IMO, regardless of whether he plays a game in the NHL, this year or ever, but yes, it would be nice to see.

Old
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Albany defeats Norfolk 4-2 tonight. Jerome Samson had 2G and 1A and 7 points in his last 3 games for 30 goals and 29 assists on the year in 64 games. He is now 10th in AHL scoring points and tied Andrew Gordon (Hershey) for 3rd in the league in goals. He's behind Alexander Giroux and Brett Sterling. Tied with Keith Aucoin. I suppose that makes Samson and Gordon the leading scorers in the league among players not of veteran status.

Oskar Osala had 2 primary assists and finished a +2 on the night.

Newcomer Justin Pogge stopped 29 of 31 shots against him.

Old
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Zac Dalpe also had 1G and 2A in the weekend set against Notre Dame. He has 20 goals and 20 assists on the year in 35 games and leads the team in +/- with something like a +15.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Denzil
NOLU

So will we see Dalpe here in Albany within the next few weeks?

Old
03-07-2010, 09:26 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
So will we see Dalpe here in Albany within the next few weeks?
That's where the smart money is. They're now in the quarters of the CCHA tournament, apparently, and it wouldn't seem like they'd last too much longer.

The win over Notre Dame should mean that Kyle Lawson is also available to get a tryout contract, I would think...

Old
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Good writeup on last night's 4-2 win in Norfolk at Canes Country: http://www.canescountry.com/2010/3/8...folk-part-deux

Sounds like a good night for Osala, who was the 2nd star of the game.

03-08-2010, 01:11 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
Boston College season ticket holder here. Just thought I'd let you know that Brian Dumoulin has been their best dman all year--and it's not even close.

13 assists in 31 games and leading the dmen with a +17 rating.

Oh ya, and he's the 5th youngest player in all of college hockey this year...
Sneep?

Old
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Albany River Rats right wing Jerome Samson has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Mar. 7, 2010. In three games, Samson recorded three goals and four assists for seven points.
Way to go Jerome!

Old
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Savolainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Good writeup on last night's 4-2 win in Norfolk at Canes Country: http://www.canescountry.com/2010/3/8...folk-part-deux

Sounds like a good night for Osala, who was the 2nd star of the game.
I really hope he will get a call-up for some games soon.

Closed Thread