HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

Old
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Actually it was a great precedent. This isn't the WWE, that kind of 'smack talk' doesnt belong in pro sports, if you allow it imagine what kind of precedent THAT sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I disagree.

This has everything to do with the way you want the game perceived and the way sponsors want to be perceived as supporters of it. Neither wants to be associated with loose-cannon vulgarity artists who can't control their own emotions. This isn't John Tortorella losing his mind on his free time, in his house. He's doing it while representing the game, the team and the sponsors on the wall behind him during these press conferences.
Agree with both. The bottom line to me is there's got to be a better way to express yourself.

01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If the league is going to penalize players for vulgar comments, fine, whatever, I may not agree with the severity of it but I understand. But to make words appear more serious than violent actions on-ice seems misguided at best and ludicrous at worst.
Absolutely agree. And the worst part about it is that I don't even think they really cared about the "sloppy seconds" comment, they just needed an excuse to suspend Avery and that was it. The League let their personal feelings about Avery get in the way in making a rational decision, and in doing so sent a message that certain speech will receive a greater punishment than injury-causing hits.

The odd thing is that Bettman cares so much about the image of the NHL but tends to downplay safety issues. In my opinion, if any of the superstars in the league are seriously injured by a hit that could have been prevented, that would receive far more negative press than a "sloppy seconds" type comment or cursing in the postgame.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If the league is going to penalize players for vulgar comments, fine, whatever, I may not agree with the severity of it but I understand. But to make words appear more serious than violent actions on-ice seems misguided at best and ludicrous at worst.
They should not be considered together at all. Off the ice you are not in the midst of competitive battle. Off the ice you have alot more control over your actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
should've been a 1 game suspension + fine max, just to send a message that it's inappropriate.

That's already pretty severe for just saying something.
I like setting the precedent high in this case. Again, the last thing they want to do is have players verbally attacking one anothers life outside the rink, and in Avery's case people not even associated with the NHL. You don't see the problem with that?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Balej20*

LAME. Pussification of America. Another step towards completely taking all emotion and passion out of the NHL.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
The more dangerous precedent being set is not letting players police themselves and arbitrary suspensions/fines handed out by Buttman and Colon. Players get mad, if you dont let them fight, its McSorley or Bertuzzi all over again (also see: instigator rule). But this is another discussion all together so i wont get into it anymore in this thread).
exactly, if players are bottling up long enough it may very well end up coming out as an intent to injure hit instead of just a fight

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Somehow as America gets more "*********" it seems to get more vulgar.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Somehow as America gets more "*********" it seems to get more vulgar.
I agree with that actually. Because there are no longer any gentlemen left in this country. And if you are a gentlemen, you are frowned upon. It's pathetic. This country is turning into Europe, where everyone is feminized.

My issue with this "rule" is that it's unneccesary. The NHL needs to stop worrying about stupid nonsense like this, and start worrying about the boring product on the ice most night.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
My issue with this "rule" is that it's unneccesary. The NHL needs to stop worrying about stupid nonsense like this, and start worrying about the boring product on the ice most night.
Maybe the first step to that is making sure the press conferences are less exciting than the games.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I agree with that actually. Because there are no longer any gentlemen left in this country. And if you are a gentlemen, you are frowned upon. It's pathetic. This country is turning into Europe, where everyone is feminized.

And all this time I thought John Wayne had passed away

These are not facts, just your perception, which I believe is wrong, cause i'm a damn fine gentleman

Old
01-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Maybe the first step to that is making sure the press conferences are less exciting than the games.
I agree, the emotion should be shown out on the field of play. Although, I still feel the rule is unnecessary and a waste of space in the rule book. And the league has done everything in its power to take plenty of emotion out of the game as well.

This league does need some characters just like any other league, in order to bring some attention to it. But anytime someone steps out of line a little bit a new rule is made, or a suspension is handed down. Like the hysteria when Avery went a little out of the box in his screening of Brodeur. Let's get serious here. Was it really necessary to rewrite the rule book the next day to address this DIRE issue. Come on.

Wake up NHL. Fix the boring product on the ice and stop taking the emotion and passion and chracter out of the game.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And all this time I thought John Wayne had passed away

These are not facts, just your perception, which I believe is wrong, cause i'm a damn fine gentleman
They very well are facts. Go out one night to a bar or a TGI Fridays or anywhere and try to find a good, decent, hard working 20-30 something man out there. They are few and far between. Between the hoodlums with the hats to the side, or the guys that spend more time on their hair than women, and the guys that wax every inch of their body, to the muscle heads who wont even hold a door open for a lady. It's a very sad state of affairs out there.

Old
01-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
The NHL needs to stop worrying about stupid nonsense like this, and start worrying about the boring product on the ice most night.

if anything all the stuff they're trying to stop (fights, players like avery making a scene on TV, etc) DRAWS the crowd

What's next, a rule limiting how hard you can hit?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:23 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Because there are no longer any gentlemen left in this country.
I disagree. If I saw Wade Redden walking towards a puddle I would lay my jacket over it, like I would for any lady.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:24 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Boo. Less fun for me.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
They very well are facts. Go out one night to a bar or a TGI Fridays or anywhere and try to find a good, decent, hard working 20-30 something man out there. They are few and far between. Between the hoodlums with the hats to the side, or the guys that spend more time on their hair than women, and the guys that wax every inch of their body, to the muscle heads who wont even hold a door open for a lady. It's a very sad state of affairs out there.
You can't control the world, only yourself, and thats who you should start with first

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
if anything all the stuff they're trying to stop (fights, players like avery making a scene on TV, etc) DRAWS the crowd

What's next, a rule limiting how hard you can hit?
If its so bad maybe you should protest and not watch. Why support a product you don't like?

Old
01-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Nick00

So beating the **** out of someone until there's blood on the ice is ok, but you can't say a curse word?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I disagree. If I saw Wade Redden walking towards a puddle I would lay my jacket over it, like I would for any lady.
haha. Watch it tho, Redden might be one of those feminists...u know, not wanting to be "singled out" and all.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Less cussing and more of this

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
ThisYearsModel

OK, we have Avery rules, Torts rules, why can't we het Redden Sucks rules?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
OK, we have Avery rules, Torts rules, why can't we get Sather Sucks rules?
Fixed.

Old
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
John Torturella

This NHL is a joke. Are they gonna ban the stupid questions that lead to Torts' cursing?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
haveandare

Quote:
The way someone wears their hat or their hair, or the way they groom themselves doesn't dictate anything about their character with any accuracy or consistency. You've got to be kidding me.

That being said, this rule is pretty stupid. It's not like we live in a puritan society here. Turn on any channel and watch for a few minutes and you'll find something that would offend anyone that would be offended by torts saying he "calls ********" on something. Also, they bleep out EVERYTHING they say anyway, so whats the problem?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Reminds me of the boondock saints 2 scene about political correctness, lol.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
This NHL is a joke. Are they gonna ban the stupid questions that lead to Torts' cursing?
Journalists aren't part of the league.

Old
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
If teams played better maybe you wouldn't see coaches "Lose their Stuff" in such a public fashion...

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote