HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

Old
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
You can't even show some emotion anymore without getting into trouble? That's pretty weak IMO.

****ing party poopers.
It's impossible to show emotion without spewing profanity?

01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Chimp, I'd love for you to be on the other end of the phone call from the CEO of Brand Management @ Honda and explain to him how regular uncontrolled explosions of vulgarity are benefitting him and the 3 year commitment he made as the largest corporate sponsor to the NHL. It's as far from the image Honda wants for itself as it is for the NHL.
Who cares about CEOs. All CEOs should be at the end of a rope, anyway.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You're right about that but lets look at what they're disagreeing with - only a young person could getaway with not understanding why in a professional setting there should be no foul language. If you're 29 and still don't get thats the way things are done then I don't know what to tell ya.

No matter what your job title is, you have to be professional when you're representing the organization that employs you.

Kids going to school and hearing swears/ movies and TV show violence has nothing to do with this.

Thank you for another hidden jab.

Anyway, like I said earlier you are comparing Apples and Oranges. Sports organization have a different target group than let's say a Financial Cooperation.

Sports Organizations, or how about Sports Teams target John Q. Public who sits at home in his underwear while eating Pizza, burping and farting into his recliner. And that's what Sponsors should learn to understand. I always find the product placement in ads hilarious, for instance when Dior is advertising during a soccer match or Boxing fight.

If we are talking about Companies like Wells Fargo, PNC Bank or whoever, then yes.. a person representing these companies should not use profanity when addressing something.

The head coach of a Football,Hockey,Soccer,Basketball,Baseball,etc.etc . team should not have to worry about this.
Again, like Chimp said, most of the times a coach uses profanity its because he expresses his anger, and that should be fine.

But yea, we all know that Tom Renney is still loved around here because he had himself under control.

P.S.: And yes, if Honda is so concerned about their image maybe they should have thought about it before they sponsored a league where fighting is allowed to let some air out of the anger.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Doesn't that say something about how sad it is that it's more about money and sponsorships, and instead of the game of hockey? It's disgusting really.
Are tantrums at press conferences REALLY part of the game of hockey? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I have a question for you all who are so much against the horror of profane language on television and stand behind sponsors and NHL:
If the sponsors are telling NHL to ban fighting - and NHL complies - will you defend that too?
I don't follow what one has to do with the other. Did I miss the proud 80 year history of public vulgarity that the sport built it's success upon? We're not talking about changing the game here.

No matter what your own personal opinion is, I am surprised at those who can't see that this just isn't the kind of conduct the NHL wants from their "representatives", period.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Who cares about CEOs.
People/entities who's activities are funded by sponsorship.

Old
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Who cares about CEOs. All CEOs should be at the end of a rope, anyway.
The NHL is a business. That business is funded in part by sponsorships. Those sponsorships come from companies that are headed by CEOs. Therefor, the NHL might care about CEOs.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Chimp

Quote:
People/entities who's activities are funded by sponsorship.
And who is supporting the sponsors? And why do the sponsors "give" their money away in the first place? It's not to be nice.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-11-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Thank you for another hidden jab.

Anyway, like I said earlier you are comparing Apples and Oranges. Sports organization have a different target group than let's say a Financial Cooperation.

Sports Organizations, or how about Sports Teams target John Q. Public who sits at home in his underwear while eating Pizza, burping and farting into his recliner. And that's what Sponsors should learn to understand. I always find the product placement in ads hilarious, for instance when Dior is advertising during a soccer match or Boxing fight.

If we are talking about Companies like Wells Fargo, PNC Bank or whoever, then yes.. a person representing these companies should not use profanity when addressing something.

The head coach of a Football,Hockey,Soccer,Basketball,Baseball,etc.etc . team should not have to worry about this.
Again, like Chimp said, most of the times a coach uses profanity its because he expresses his anger, and that should be fine.

But yea, we all know that Tom Renney is still loved around here because he had himself under control.

P.S.: And yes, if Honda is so concerned about their image maybe they should have thought about it before they sponsored a league where fighting is allowed to let some air out of the anger.
What hidden jab? I thought I was pretty open about it It REALLY does surprise me that you are 29 and think this way. I'm from Brooklyn, I curse alot. When I played hockey i'd get penalties cause I used expletives when addressing the refs. You're in the heat of battle playing a rough game, its natural in that setting.

But at work I KNOW its inappropriate to do so in a professional setting. Read all the other posts surrounding this one, people agree, its a business and you have to act accordingly.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
What hidden jab? I thought I was pretty open about it It REALLY does surprise me that you are 29 and think this way. I'm from Brooklyn, I curse alot. When I played hockey i'd get penalties cause I used expletives when addressing the refs. You're in the heat of battle playing a rough game, its natural in that setting.

But at work I KNOW its inappropriate to do so in a professional setting. Read all the other posts surrounding this one, people agree, its a business and you have to act accordingly.
so you admit you do it yourself and more so while playing hockey?

Okay then, let me ask you one simple question.

Is the NHL a business or a hockey league?

Old
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
so you admit you do it yourself and more so while playing hockey?

Okay then, let me ask you one simple question.

Is the NHL a business or a hockey league?
On the ice, where no one hears me but the players, yeah I can get away with cursing, just like any athelete. Its in the heat of battle and i'm not speaking directly to an audience. I was an 'amatuer' hockey player.

The NHL is a 'professional' hockey league $

Old
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

When some of the sproutlings around here grow up they'll get it. Thats if they ever get over the whole 'political correctness', its often blown out of proportion, like some of the reactions in this thread. You have a problem with it in your own life, that has nothing to do with what the NHL is doing here, end of story.
Bingo.

Its very simple. Dont take it too seriously people. Its merely a suggestion if you read the memo. Its a small threat when they mention the fines, doesn't go into the exact amount, and the public is seldom advised when they are actually enforced.

It's basically something the NHL has to do to show their sponsors and everyone else involved in their bottom line that they are on top of all issues. Its part of what any business does and its just something every workplace has to deal with, to varying degrees. Its about professionalism and upholding a code of ethics.

I'm sure everyone in the NHL offices has cursed before and will curse again. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech or passion about the game. Its all about image and bucks. Don't overcomplicate this, its merely bookkeeping, inventory or whatever you want to call it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:50 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
On the ice, where no one hears me but the players, yeah I can get away with cursing, just like any athelete. Its in the heat of battle and i'm not speaking directly to an audience. I was an 'amatuer' hockey player.

The NHL is a 'professional' hockey league $
It doesn't make sense though because as we all know hockey players curse too and kids go to games and are within reach. They will definitely hear those evil words. What if the CEO of Honda is sitting in the press box and hear somebody yell "**** you Poti You ****ing nerd!" ?
I think it's a misconception that no one hear you on the ice but the players.

If I am the coach of a sports team, and I went to get my point across that I am mad as hell at my players for not listening to me, and the press asks me. I will certainly not hold back, nor should anyone else.
A hockey league is a hockey league is a hockey league.

Old
01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
And who is giving the sponsors their money? And why do the sponsors "give" their money away in the first place? It's not to be nice.
Is this a quiz?

Old
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

**** That!

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Chimp

Let's just switch the topic to "Now Tortarella gets a mouthful of hypocrisy" and carry on.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
It doesn't make sense though because as we all know hockey players curse too and kids go to games and are within reach. They will definitely hear those evil words. What if the CEO of Honda is sitting in the press box and hear somebody yell "**** you Poti You ****ing nerd!" ?
I think it's a misconception that no one hear you on the ice but the players.

If I am the coach of a sports team, and I went to get my point across that I am mad as hell at my players for not listening to me, and the press asks me. I will certainly not hold back, nor should anyone else.
A hockey league is a hockey league is a hockey league.
You're confused. Cursing happens everywhere, not just in hockey leagues, I get that, everyone gets that. Yes, the CEO's curse too, behind closed doors mostly. The FACT is, in a business setting you're expected to act like a professional.

If you are a hockey coach, you curse at the team, not the media. Plenty of coaches around the league not named Renney have acted like professionals infront of cameras regardless of their teams play, its not as hard as you think.

Old
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
You're confused. Cursing happens everywhere, not just in hockey leagues, I get that, everyone gets that. Yes, the CEO's curse too, behind closed doors mostly. The FACT is, in a business setting you're expected to act like a professional.

If you are a hockey coach, you curse at the team, not the media. Plenty of coaches around the league not named Renney have acted like professionals infront of cameras regardless of their teams play, its not as hard as you think.
I can only repeat what I said earlier , if Honda doesn't like the cussing this is the wrong sport. Maybe other than Motorsport there isn't really anything suitable for Honda at all in the world of sports.
But sure, why not go ahead and take character out of sports too now? No problem.

Old
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Are tantrums at press conferences REALLY part of the game of hockey? Really?
Are tantrums on the ice after penalties and scrums? Are tantrums on the bench after penalties and poor plays? Are tantrums in the locker room between periods? Just because you aren't hearing the little bleeps does that somehow make it different?

How about guys breaking sticks on the ice and off goal posts? How about the one that ended up with an injured teammate? They didn't ban that though did they? Something that would make so much more sense to ban.

Quote:
We're not talking about changing the game here.
Yet. Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile. Maybe not right away, but realistically whatever comes down from the pipes from the sponsors will get serious consideration long before anything the fans care about does. That's what makes this ridiculous.

I don't disagree that excessive vulgarities are not a necessity, but neither are a lot of other things. All in all it's fairly irrelevant. It's not something happening nightly, and it's not having a noticeable negative effect on anything either. Unless you are that obsessed with having a 100% thorough breakdown of the game every night from the coach complete with period by period analysis and no angry rants whatsoever.

Also to anyone comparing this with their own professional careers, how many of you honestly have a nightly/weekly podium in front of people where you are even able to make any sort of assessment of anything work related, let alone everything you see and do in an entire evening? It's easy to say how simple and mature it is to be a professional when you aren't given the forum to act unprofessional, especially one where it is arguably relevant.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I can only repeat what I said earlier , if Honda doesn't like the cussing this is the wrong sport. Maybe other than Motorsport there isn't really anything suitable for Honda at all in the world of sports.
But sure, why not go ahead and take character out of sports too now? No problem.
Now you've totally lost me.

WTF do you have against Honda?

Old
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Now you've totally lost me.

WTF do you have against Honda?
Hey.. don't cuss!

I somehow had the idea that Honda was the one complaining, nevermind.

Old
01-14-2010, 09:49 PM
MrAlfie

Bite your tongue Torts, bite your tongue.

Old
01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Fire this moron. Is putting a mad face on and yelling really coaching?

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:02 PM
NYRangers84

I find it hard to believe that the hiring of Torts was moving this organization a step forward... b.s. firing Renney was a stupid move and leave it to Sather to make it happen. Torts is an overrated coach, he can't make anything happen with a team like this. Hell he can't even improve them.

NYRangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Nice! The John Tortorella rule!
First the Avery Rule, now the Torts Rule...what next, the Hank Rule where a goalie can't stand on his head night after night?

LOL

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What I don't get it Torts has come back in the league with a pretty sizable chip on his shoulder. Not sure why this is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote