HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash

Old
01-16-2010, 09:05 PM
AJ1982

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Prior to this year, Drury has basically matched his average seasons here. This year he off that pace. Of course he's now on the third line and not getting any PP time.

The whole team deserves blame — save two players. I just think the easy thing to do is look at the highest paid players. Dubinsky has, year in and year out, played with the best offensive player on the team. Yet he's not taken the next step. Doesn't he get some blame?
No offense, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think that the Drury, Redden and Roszival contracts are not a huge problem that Tortorella inherited. I agree that Kotalik (and Brashear, though I don't think anybody mentioned that) are also problems that Torts probably had a hand in, and some players have not progressed (though Dubinsky was injured for a time, and that never helps a young player) but the big three to me are a huge problem. It has to be extremely hard to motivate a team where some of the highest earners have been pretty much garbage for at least most of the year. I have not been that pleased with Torts either, but let's not pretend this whole situation has been his making.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
No offense, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think that the Drury, Redden and Roszival contracts are not a huge problem that Tortorella inherited. I agree that Kotalik (and Brashear, though I don't think anybody mentioned that) are also problems that Torts probably had a hand in, and some players have not progressed (though Dubinsky was injured for a time, and that never helps a young player) but the big three to me are a huge problem. It has to be extremely hard to motivate a team where some of the highest earners have been pretty much garbage for at least most of the year. I have not been that pleased with Torts either, but let's not pretend this whole situation has been his making.
I keep on seeing people say that Torts had some influence in bringing Kotalik here, and I couldn't disagree more.

Kotalik and Torts have butt heads multiple times this season. Torts has scratched Kotalik for a few games and regularly puts him on the 4th line. If Torts wanted Kotalik here, I'm sure he would put him in a more prominent role, like he's done with Prospal, instead of saying things like "Kotes hasn't really grabbed hold of a position to be playing all the time."

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:32 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I keep on seeing people say that Torts had some influence in bringing Kotalik here, and I couldn't disagree more.

Kotalik and Torts have butt heads multiple times this season. Torts has scratched Kotalik for a few games and regularly puts him on the 4th line. If Torts wanted Kotalik here, I'm sure he would put him in a more prominent role, like he's done with Prospal, instead of saying things like "Kotes hasn't really grabbed hold of a position to be playing all the time."
Well, let's put it this way. In most situations the coach has a major say in who comes and who goes. I would have expected it is the same for Torts, but maybe I am wrong and it is just Sather being stupid. But, I have to imagine torts had some say in bringing in Kotalik, perhaps he thought it would spark Drury? and, Kotalik did/does get PP time and has seen time with Drury, so it isn't like torts buried him immediately. I think as Kotalik has proved that he really is a pretty ****** player Torts has cut his time. But, I have to imagine torts said, okay I will take this guy, or else he would not be here. If a coach is adamantly against a guy coming I don't think the guy gets brought in. So, torts has to share some of the blame for that one...

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote