HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would Brodeur be a HOF Goalie Without the Devils?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
  #101
Harrison Ford
Registered User
 
Harrison Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 19,981
vCash: 500
I'm just happy to say he is and always will be apart of our team and it's history. I cannot be grateful enough for having Brodeur's play in net for all of my lifetime as a Devils fan. Without a doubt, Brodeur would be a HOF goalie without the Devils. But thank god I will never have to think of that.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
  #102
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Sort of agree, but Joseph had better reactions and Brodeur has better mobility, the the level of skill is roughly equal. Its funny that you say Joseph though because he is a borderline for making the hall of fame.
I pray to God that you're not insinuating anything, there.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM
  #103
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
I always thought the Penguins were really the odd-man out when it comes to the division, only really having a rivalry with the Flyers...
The Penguins left the division for a few years in the mid-90's, and had some pretty crappy teams in the early 2000's, so it may have stunted the rivalry a bit. But their recent play in the past few years has brought them back in the Atlantic Division rivalry mix.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
  #104
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Never suggested otherwise.

Petty jealousy is not restricted to any particular fanbases.

And what "argument"? In the creative minds of a few here, perhaps. Not elsewhere.
http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...e-winning.html

It's been a part of the movement of convuluted, contextual hockey stats that's been going on.

There's no way it's just jealousy. People don't say the same thing about Hasek or most star players. It's also an implicit compliment to the Devils staff. Why would there be so, so much said about Brodeur along these lines when a majority of teams have their own rivals they could be biased against?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:11 PM
  #105
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa Shark View Post
Pens Rangers games have been pretty heated since the 08 playoffs with the home teams pretty much dominating.

A
They're good games and all, but I don't look forward to them like I do for games against the other teams. Of course, that just might be me.

And guys, my remarks were mildly sarcastic and totally joking. Let me compensate for the fact that Brodeur is still a Vezina contender in peace.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
  #106
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...e-winning.html

It's been a part of the movement of convuluted, contextual hockey stats that's been going on.
If Brodeur is a fraud, then Chuck Norris is a pansy.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
  #107
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...e-winning.html

It's been a part of the movement of convuluted, contextual hockey stats that's been going on.
As for that website: pay no worship to fools.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
  #108
ILikeItVeryMuch*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 36,073
vCash: 500
Ughhhhhhh.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
  #109
Predatials
Registered User
 
Predatials's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Juliet
Country: United States
Posts: 2,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
If Brodeur is a fraud, then Chuck Norris is a pansy.

lol funny you say that because.......




man I love bruce lee

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
  #110
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,263
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the Devils invented the trap.

that just made my day.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
  #111
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
It's a pretty interesting site. The title is a big overstatement but I have a lot of respect for the guy. He's admitted error on a lot of things and is obviously genuinely interested in the sport and figuring things out. Now that the Brodeur arguement has been done to death he mostly writes about less controversial, esoteric things to do with hockey statistics.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
  #112
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps Lock View Post
lol funny you say that because.......



man I love bruce lee
****, I got hosed.

I gotta give you credit for that one, though.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
  #113
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
It's a pretty interesting site. The title is a big overstatement but I have a lot of respect for the guy. He's admitted error on a lot of things and is obviously genuinely interested in the sport and figuring things out. Now that the Brodeur arguement has been done to death he mostly writes about less controversial, esoteric things to do with hockey statistics.
I can't respect anybody's opinion that is soley based on stats and numbers, too many fans are this way today and I blame fantasy sports for this travesty.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
  #114
Predatials
Registered User
 
Predatials's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mount Juliet
Country: United States
Posts: 2,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
It's a pretty interesting site. The title is a big overstatement but I have a lot of respect for the guy. He's admitted error on a lot of things and is obviously genuinely interested in the sport and figuring things out. Now that the Brodeur arguement has been done to death he mostly writes about less controversial, esoteric things to do with hockey statistics.
too many Generals here not enough Privates

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM
  #115
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,188
vCash: 500
He played behind two hall of fame defensemen for years and years: Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. Everyone season in which he started 50 or more games, he never failed to win at least 30 of them. He had nine 30-win seasons, four of those being 40-win seasons. That was all from the 95-96 season through the 03-04 season.

For most of Brodeur's career as a Devil, there was no Lemaire. He played five seasons for Lemaire (1993-98), excluding this season.

After the lockout, there was no more Stevens. There was no more Niedermayer. And yet, the first three seasons after the lockout, Brodeur didn't fail to win 40 or more games. The only season in which he has failed to win 40+ games was last year, because he was injured for four months.

What else is going to prove it?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
  #116
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
They're good games and all, but I don't look forward to them like I do for games against the other teams. Of course, that just might be me.
Why, because there's a very good chance that your team is going to lose?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
  #117
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
He played behind two hall of fame defensemen for years and years: Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. Everyone season in which he started 50 or more games, he never failed to win at least 30 of them. He had nine 30-win seasons, four of those being 40-win seasons. That was all from the 95-96 season through the 03-04 season.

For most of Brodeur's career as a Devil, there was no Lemaire. He played five seasons for Lemaire (1993-98), excluding this season.

After the lockout, there was no more Stevens. There was no more Niedermayer. And yet, the first three seasons after the lockout, Brodeur didn't fail to win 40 or more games. The only season in which he has failed to win 40+ games was last year, because he was injured for four months.

What else is going to prove it?
Being top two in the league in save percentage once in his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Why, because there's a very good chance that your team is going to lose?
Why don't people say that about the Red Wings, who have been more dominant in the era since the Devils became dominant?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
  #118
Team Boring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunshine
Country: United States
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Of course he is still a HOF goalie.

Keep hating on Brodeur and the Devils, looking down in the Eastern Conference is nice.

Team Boring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
  #119
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Ughhhhhhh.
I hate the Devils (fan of a division rival in fact) and this was my exact reaction too...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
  #120
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,704
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Gonna go out on a limb and say "yes" because I'm crazy like that.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
  #121
Stazz21
 
Stazz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sourthern California
Country: United States
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Ya know, perhaps it's just my ignorance of the Devils, having always paid more attention to the West, but for the past few years, I've predicted them to be a mediocre to bad team, including, especially including, this year. Yet every year they seem to win games and make themselves known in the playoffs. Brodeur is the face of the franchise, and I think he deserves a lot of credit for how consistently competitive they've been over the past, decade plus.

So, yeah, HOF for sure. Records? Maybe.

Stazz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
  #122
Dev4evr
Registered User
 
Dev4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
The Devils pretty much invented the trap and have used it throughout the career of Brodeur, which in turn has led to a lot of success for him.

For example, Roloson, Fernandez, and now Backstrom have faded without the defensive system Lemaire employed in Minnesota. Would Brodeur still be a HOF goalie if he spent his career playing on a run and gun team like Atlanta?
Let me go out on a limb and say you really don't like Brodeur and looking for some support with this as to bring up such a ridiculous topic??

Dev4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
  #123
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 29,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Being top two in the league in save percentage once in his career.
One statistic? That's all?

Quote:
Why don't people say that about the Red Wings, who have been more dominant in the era since the Devils became dominant?
I assume he was talking about now. The Red Wings are not as dominant right now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
  #124
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev4evr View Post
Let me go out on a limb and say you really don't like Brodeur and looking for some support with this as to bring up such a ridiculous topic??
This isn't the first time he has started something in an attempt to get a baseless anti-Brodeur conversation rolling.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
  #125
Stevens 4
Registered User
 
Stevens 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Being top two in the league in save percentage once in his career.
Because Save Percentage is the only goalie stat that matters?

He has been in the top 5 in GAA many times, which means he allows less goals per game then most goalies. All that matters when you are a goalie is allowing less goals and winning. Goalies are paid to win games.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.