HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nintendo Wii

Old
01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
SlowFreshOil*

vCash: 500
Well as an avid golfer, I love my Wii. I play golf every day on it and it keeps me nice and loose during these off months.

We also just got Band Hero at Costco and LOVE IT as we're all musicians.

Ours hasn't collected dust, I can tell you that.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
M00se

I'm actually playing Wii Fit Plus with the kids right now. We got it for Christmas and they love it. It's all they've played since Christmas. From what I can tell on it there are alot of mini games that would be great for party games and there are some nice work out options. I just played one mini game that analyzed your golf swing by sensing your foot placement and weight distribution, very cool.

Overall the Wii gets played all the time here, though mostly by the kids. I do really enjoy it though, definetly worth the money paid.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

I will admit that two games I'm playing at the moment are pretty fun:

1) The Simpsons game - Just a really well made game and addictive too.
2) World of Goo - From the Wii Game Store. Great thinking game that's addictive. There's a trial of the game in the store as well.

Old
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

A Wii is really easy to hack, I did mine this weekend.

I love the Wii, I think it's an outstanding system.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
I have a 360 right now, and I am just not that into playing it anymore... I just get sick of the games... Is there any good racing titles? Has anyone tried madden out... really ove tiger woods golf, and really looking forward to grabbing this game as well.
Have a 360 also.I decided to spend close to 70 bucks on Madden when it first came out, I can say its worth every penny. The GM mode is excellent, and the strorylines can go deep. They even have a halftime show reporting the stats and injuries, I can say a whole lot more but I suggest you buy it, it would be a fine addition to your game collection. Also to note the price has dropped quite a bit.

Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
How old are you? It really depends on demographics for the Wii since its probably the hardest the "please". At least with the 360/PS3, you have not only your "mature" games but you have party stuff as well [granted they suck]. The Wii is mostly for those famiily/friend gathering situations I find.

If you are part of the geriatric community, I recommend the Price is Right Wii

I can't believe me and my friend actually got this game just to see how ****** it was
Hahaha, I'm 24 and almost bought this game yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Well as an avid golfer, I love my Wii. I play golf every day on it and it keeps me nice and loose during these off months.

We also just got Band Hero at Costco and LOVE IT as we're all musicians.

Ours hasn't collected dust, I can tell you that.
Yes, Band Hero is awesome. How many instruments do you have? Just what came in the box? I'm not sure if Walmart still has these, but they had guitars which are compatible with Guitar Hero and cost only $10 each.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:37 PM
tornado88

IMHO, Serious gamers should avoid Xbox and PS3 altogether. Save your money and buy a good computer. It is cheaper to upgrade in the long run and plays most of the popular games for Xbox/PS for less. Plus, you get a computer that does a whole heck of a lot more than a console does.

Also, don't buy a stock computer, build your own. It is cheaper, not terribly difficult to do, and much easier to upgrade to keep up with games.

Consoles are for playing in groups. Computers are for single player. Wii is the best group console.

All just my own opinion, mind you.

And to whoever stated that the retro game downloads for the Wii is a rip off... NES and SNES games go for next to nothing ($5-$8) and all you need to do is run down to Walmart and buy 1 or 2 old Gamecube controllers ($10 each) to play them. These controllers can also substitute for Wii motes, making them a cheap option to add more players. (Smash Bros and Mario Cart are both playable with these controllers)

tornado88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado88 View Post
IMHO, Serious gamers should avoid Xbox and PS3 altogether. Save your money and buy a good computer. It is cheaper to upgrade in the long run and plays most of the popular games for Xbox/PS for less. Plus, you get a computer that does a whole heck of a lot more than a console does.

Also, don't buy a stock computer, build your own. It is cheaper, not terribly difficult to do, and much easier to upgrade to keep up with games.

Consoles are for playing in groups. Computers are for single player. Wii is the best group console.

And to whoever stated that the retro game downloads for the Wii is a rip off... NES and SNES games go for next to nothing ($5-$8) and all you need to do is run down to Walmart and buy 1 or 2 old Gamecube controllers ($10 each) to play them. These controllers can also substitute for Wii motes, making them a cheap option to add more players. (Smash Bros and Mario Cart are both playable with these controllers)
Where are you buying those, because good games for both those systems, tend to go for a bit more then that.

Old
01-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Where are you buying those, because good games for both those systems, tend to go for a bit more then that.
You can purchase thos games on the Wii store.

Old
01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
You can purchase thos games on the Wii store.
lol, I know that.

Old
01-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Wolfenstein

Quote:
lol, I know that.
My bad I misread your post.

Old
01-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
My bad I misread your post.
No worries, I miss read his, lol.

Old
01-09-2010, 08:57 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Yes, Band Hero is awesome. How many instruments do you have? Just what came in the box? I'm not sure if Walmart still has these, but they had guitars which are compatible with Guitar Hero and cost only $10 each.
We have all the instruments that came in the box (drums, guitar,and mic w/game). We got it at Costco for $189. Bought another guitar and Mic, so we have two guitars, the drums (which I love) and two mics. It's a total blast and great fun for us when there's not much to do. We just got the AC/DC and Beatles track packs and those are wicked.

When Costco has lots of Wii stuff, that's where I stock up because their prices are killer. I haven't tried one of those compatible guitars, but a gamer at EB said they're not very good.

Old
01-09-2010, 09:15 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado88 View Post

Computers haven't been for single player gaming since Quake came out in like '95. Since then the PC has been almost entirely a competitive online gaming platform; shooters, RTS and MMO's almost exclusively. Those are still the genres that you will be most satisfied with if you own a nice shiny computer, but if you're interested in anything else you'll want a 360 and/or PS3 as well.

Personally, I tried to sell my Wii over a year ago because I saw time within the next year or more that I would actually turn it on with the intention of buying another one down the road once the price dropped, if only to be able to play my old Gamecube games. It was impossible to move it anyways, and remains nestled in the corner of my entertainment unit, barely visible beyond the other various behemoth consoles and controllers.

If gaming were sports, the Wii would be poker.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Fluffy Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
How old are you? It really depends on demographics for the Wii since its probably the hardest the "please". At least with the 360/PS3, you have not only your "mature" games but you have party stuff as well [granted they suck]. The Wii is mostly for those famiily/friend gathering situations I find.

If you are part of the geriatric community, I recommend the Price is Right Wii

I can't believe me and my friend actually got this game just to see how ****** it was
Uh, the Wii has mature games also. Obviously you don't know about Madworld, Manhunt 2, or No More Heroes (With 2 being released on the 26th of this month)

Quote:
A Wii is really easy to hack, I did mine this weekend.

I love the Wii, I think it's an outstanding system.
Yes, it is really easy. Takes about half an hour and most of that time is the NAND backup if you choose to do it.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Rin

Quote:
We have all the instruments that came in the box (drums, guitar,and mic w/game). We got it at Costco for $189. Bought another guitar and Mic, so we have two guitars, the drums (which I love) and two mics. It's a total blast and great fun for us when there's not much to do. We just got the AC/DC and Beatles track packs and those are wicked.

When Costco has lots of Wii stuff, that's where I stock up because their prices are killer. I haven't tried one of those compatible guitars, but a gamer at EB said they're not very good.
How are your drums? Are they hard to play or are they good? Mine were ****ing hard so I got this MIDI cable and downloaded something that allowed me to adjust the sensitivity on them, they are waaaaaaay better now.

As for instruments, since I got Guitar hero first I now have a total of 3 guitars, the drums, and a mic. This works great for me since of all my friends/family I'm the only one good enough at the drums to complete a song so when I don't want to play the drums we just hook up an extra guitar.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I bought Deal or No Deal today. I might play it tonight or tomorrow and add my review of it. I only bought it because it was on sale....which is what I can say about over half of my wii games.

Old
01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Nuts View Post
Uh, the Wii has mature games also. Obviously you don't know about Madworld, Manhunt 2, or No More Heroes (With 2 being released on the 26th of this month)

I know all too well. I find that the control scheme is hit or miss for "action" games on the Wii. FPS are decent though they take time to get used to. I have all 3 so its no biggie to me.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:01 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
How are your drums? Are they hard to play or are they good? Mine were ****ing hard so I got this MIDI cable and downloaded something that allowed me to adjust the sensitivity on them, they are waaaaaaay better now.

As for instruments, since I got Guitar hero first I now have a total of 3 guitars, the drums, and a mic. This works great for me since of all my friends/family I'm the only one good enough at the drums to complete a song so when I don't want to play the drums we just hook up an extra guitar.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I bought Deal or No Deal today. I might play it tonight or tomorrow and add my review of it. I only bought it because it was on sale....which is what I can say about over half of my wii games.
My drums aren't bad, but now that I know there's a way to do that, I'm going to look into it for sure. Thanks for the tip. Just went out and bought another guitar today. There was a really nice used one at EB games. The kid's friends can beat the crap out of that one.

Old
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
DousedInOil

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to play online- stick to the computer. If you don't have a good computer... get an xbox 360. If you are looking to play offline and love bluerays then get a playstation 3.

If you want to play with a bunch of people all the same room then nothing beats a wii. The wii has a bunch of great games that I think are amazing. After that though, its pretty slim pickings. Having said that, it does have a few single player games that are worth playing. Here are some great games:

1. The Legenad of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Smash Brothers
4. The New Super Mario Brothers
5. Resident Evil 4
6. Wario Ware: Smooth MOves
7. Super Paper Mario
8. Mario Kart
9. Fire Emblem
10. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Rin

Quote:
My drums aren't bad, but now that I know there's a way to do that, I'm going to look into it for sure. Thanks for the tip. Just went out and bought another guitar today. There was a really nice used one at EB games. The kid's friends can beat the crap out of that one.

I can give you some links, i'm pretty sure I haven't deleted the bookmarks yet.

http://www.guitarherostore.com/midisoftwaredownload They have a link there where you can go and request the USB MIDI cable. They will ask you a few stupid questions like make sure the batteries are new and working, and stuff like that. Then they wills end you the cable for free and you just download the tuner thing and run it.

Once you get all that, this link shows you how to tune the sensitivity. CLICK HERE!

Old
01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to play online- stick to the computer. If you don't have a good computer... get an xbox 360. If you are looking to play offline and love bluerays then get a playstation 3.

If you want to play with a bunch of people all the same room then nothing beats a wii. The wii has a bunch of great games that I think are amazing. After that though, its pretty slim pickings. Having said that, it does have a few single player games that are worth playing. Here are some great games:

1. The Legenad of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Smash Brothers
4. The New Super Mario Brothers
5. Resident Evil 4
6. Wario Ware: Smooth MOves
7. Super Paper Mario
8. Mario Kart
9. Fire Emblem
10. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
I love both these games. I do not have the rest but have been thinking about Zelda and the new Super Mario Brothers game.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:57 PM
stoff

Hey guys my sister is looking to go buy a wii but we can't find one anywhere in Edmonton. We tried multiple eb games, wal-marts, and the futureshop and best buy in the west end. They are all out. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that currently has them in stock?

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Hey guys my sister is looking to go buy a wii but we can't find one anywhere in Edmonton. We tried multiple eb games, wal-marts, and the futureshop and best buy in the west end. They are all out. Does anyone know if there is anywhere that currently has them in stock?
I saw some at the EB Games here on Friday. I'm not sure if you'd be willing to drive 2 and a half hours though.

Old
01-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I love both these games. I do not have the rest but have been thinking about Zelda and the new Super Mario Brothers game.
Don't think get them, they are outstanding games.

Old
01-11-2010, 08:21 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
anything that has controllers that look like they are hospital/dentist tools = suck mania.

the concept of it reminds me of something that would have came out during the disco era for a "party favor" and then disappears into the annals of retro garbage piles across the world. "hey remember Wii?" its like when you find old Atari booklets/ads that have cheesy family time photos where everyone has feathered hair and the "futuristic" era implied looks more like an embarrassment. the future is here! we have transcended the dark ages of humanity through pixels!

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote