HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nintendo Wii

Old
01-11-2010, 09:30 AM
peicurler91

vCash: 500
If you want a good game selection Wii is not a good choice, Graphics..don't take a Wii. Some of my original Xbox games have better graphics.

Although Twilight Princess was amazing.

I would take a 360 over a Wii. (Even though the PS3 has better graphics I'm familiar with the 360 controller)

peicurler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by peicurler91 View Post
If you want a good game selection Wii is not a good choice, Graphics..don't take a Wii. Some of my original Xbox games have better graphics.

Although Twilight Princess was amazing.

I would take a 360 over a Wii. (Even though the PS3 has better graphics I'm familiar with the 360 controller)
Really, wow. The 360 brings the least to the table of the 3 systems, and it's not close.

It's not as good as a PS3, in terms of games, graphics and being a media player (also having to pay to play online), and it's no where near as inventive or creative as the Wii.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
dem

I bought my gf a wii for christmas.. and its by far the worst console.

My gf likes the fitness crap.. i cant stand the thing. All the games are gimmicky.

360 is the best (besides PC ).. live community is awesome.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I bought my gf a wii for christmas.. and its by far the worst console.

My gf likes the fitness crap.. i cant stand the thing. All the games are gimmicky.

360 is the best (besides PC ).. live community is awesome.
22yrs old, a big fan of Halo, COD and UFC, does that about cover it?

Old
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
22yrs old, a big fan of Halo, COD and UFC, does that about cover it?

27.. never played Halo... don't play COD on xbox or even online..
but i do like UFC

Old
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
I just modded my wii yesterday as well, its a lot easier than some of the 360's I have done, and WAY safer (just make sure you guys who modded backed up your NAND or put on priiloader). Graphics are not everything, gameplay has a huge part in what makes a good game. There are some bad games sure, but there is with every console.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
27.. never played Halo... don't play COD on xbox or even online..
but i do like UFC
Wow, you're that old and you don't have an appriciation for making games that are different and creative? Colour me surprise.

You were a big fan of Transformers 2 right?

Old
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
dem

Quote:
Wow, you're that old and you don't have an appriciation for making games that are different and creative? Colour me surprise.

You were a big fan of Transformers 2 right?
stop trying to be a *******

i dont think shaking my unresponsive controller around in the air is inventive or much fun at all.

And I never watched transformers 2 because i didn't like the first one.

Youre not a very good profiler.

Old
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Jimmi are you really pissed off because people don't have the same video game tastes as you? Different strokes for different folks. Honestly I prefer the Xbox because of the controller.

But hey these boards are the best when the video game fanboys come out. I remember the ultimate of fanboys in Raoul Duke.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
TigerWoo

Everybody has different opinions and tastes. I had a Wii for over a year. Played it a few times. gave it away to my 6 year old nephew. Always had a 360 since they came out. I play sports games 99% of the time, so I love it. Love Xbox Live as well. I don't play a ton of games though. I use my 360 more to synch up with my pc and watch movies, etc.

My cousins have PS3. I don't like it. hate the controller, but that's because I'm so used to the 360. 2/3 of my cousins switched to a 360.

Never have played COD in my life or Halo. Seen people play it though. I'm not a first person shooter fan at all really. Like a poster said above, different strokes for different folks.

i can't believe somebody is judging others about their tastes.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
dem

Once you get to 27 and can afford to buy whatever you want.. you can stop being a fanboi!!!<3 too.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:52 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Really, wow. The 360 brings the least to the table of the 3 systems, and it's not close.

It's not as good as a PS3, in terms of games, graphics and being a media player (also having to pay to play online), and it's no where near as inventive or creative as the Wii.
When I was looking to buy a Video Game system there were only three games that I absolustely had to have: Gears of War (1 and 2), NHL__, and Final Fantasy 13. When I found out that FF13 was comming out on the Xbox, it became an easy choice. The Xbox was the only system that could give me all the games I wanted. It was just a bonus that I liked the controller more and it was a hundred bucks cheaper.

But now our house has a PS3 as well. I prefer to use my Xbox as a media player, but I like using the PS3 to stream Online content because the Xbox doesn't have a browser.

But if I'm going to play NHL10, I will play it on the Xbox 100 times out of 100. I even went out and bought it for the Xbox after we already got it for the PS3. Different people just have different tastes and needs (ie: most of my friends have an xbox and I like to play them online).

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I can give you some links, i'm pretty sure I haven't deleted the bookmarks yet.

http://www.guitarherostore.com/midisoftwaredownload They have a link there where you can go and request the USB MIDI cable. They will ask you a few stupid questions like make sure the batteries are new and working, and stuff like that. Then they wills end you the cable for free and you just download the tuner thing and run it.

Once you get all that, this link shows you how to tune the sensitivity. CLICK HERE!
Thanks for that Rin. It's appreciated.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I love the Wii as a "have friends over and do silly things" system.

Bowling, Darts, trivia games, virtual golf...it's a lot of fun, and I'm also a huge fan of games like Smash Bros.

However, I'd have trouble playing it solo. Not that there aren't some good games for solo play, but it's not playing to the system's strengths.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
dharmaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
I just modded my wii yesterday as well, its a lot easier than some of the 360's I have done, and WAY safer (just make sure you guys who modded backed up your NAND or put on priiloader). Graphics are not everything, gameplay has a huge part in what makes a good game. There are some bad games sure, but there is with every console.
You got it! I have been playing my softmoded Wii for about 6 months now. I have the Home Brew Channel, Pri-loader, and Bootmii with a NAND backup. I also use USB Loader GX. I have all my games on there. You have to love switching games without needing to switch out discs.

My fav 2 games are Grand Slam Tennis and Call of Duty Reflex.

dharmaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
When I was looking to buy a Video Game system there were only three games that I absolustely had to have: Gears of War (1 and 2), NHL__, and Final Fantasy 13. When I found out that FF13 was comming out on the Xbox, it became an easy choice. The Xbox was the only system that could give me all the games I wanted. It was just a bonus that I liked the controller more and it was a hundred bucks cheaper.

But now our house has a PS3 as well. I prefer to use my Xbox as a media player, but I like using the PS3 to stream Online content because the Xbox doesn't have a browser.

But if I'm going to play NHL10, I will play it on the Xbox 100 times out of 100. I even went out and bought it for the Xbox after we already got it for the PS3. Different people just have different tastes and needs (ie: most of my friends have an xbox and I like to play them online).
Why are you playing the lower quality versions. If it wasn't for sales number, FF13 wouldn't be coming out for the 360, because they have to downgrade the final product so much, that's why the other FF13 game(the full name escapes me right now) isn't coming out on Xbox, because it's to much work to downgrade the game into something compatable.

And what are you talking about, the PS3 is an amazing media center, DVD player and the like. It's absolutely fantasic for that use, the 360 is alright, but doesn't offer anything over the other two.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
dem

360 has the superior version of nearly every multiplatform game..

Old
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I love the Wii as a "have friends over and do silly things" system.

Bowling, Darts, trivia games, virtual golf...it's a lot of fun, and I'm also a huge fan of games like Smash Bros.

However, I'd have trouble playing it solo. Not that there aren't some good games for solo play, but it's not playing to the system's strengths.
Buy Guitar Hero...you'll play solo for hours. I didn't think I would, but I did. I'd spend an hour or two a night playing GH when I first bought it.

On the topic of "have friends over and do silly things" one game you should try out for that is Wario Smooth Moves. That is the first game I ever played on a wii and fell in love with it. I do suggest renting it first because it is still fairly pricey. At least if you rent it, you'll know if it's worth the $50 or $60 whatever it is.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Why are you playing the lower quality versions. If it wasn't for sales number, FF13 wouldn't be coming out for the 360, because they have to downgrade the final product so much, that's why the other FF13 game(the full name escapes me right now) isn't coming out on Xbox, because it's to much work to downgrade the game into something compatable.

And what are you talking about, the PS3 is an amazing media center, DVD player and the like. It's absolutely fantasic for that use, the 360 is alright, but doesn't offer anything over the other two.
PS3 is a much more powerful system, with like 100X less failure rate than a 360. But while it is more powerful, there is some misconception, as programmers aren't realy fond of the Cell Processor, and find it hard to program with. I have seen many graphical comparisons between games, on IGN in reviews and stuff, and most of the time 2 versions of the same game are better on 360. It's barely noticable really though, but bottom line is a lot of games are made for 360 first, then ported over to PS3. If I had to buy again I would probably still buy the ps3 though. I would be nice if someone could figure out how to mod one, but its nearly impossible with all the levels of security. I will probably get one eventually, just because I buy pretty much every console. But anyways, most PS3 games aren't utilizing the full capability of the system, and probably never will. Also, just as a side note, IBM, who made the Cell Processor technology, has scrapped working on the technology...it might not mean anything now, but curious to see what this means for Sony when PS3 gets a few more years in.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Buy Guitar Hero...you'll play solo for hours. I didn't think I would, but I did. I'd spend an hour or two a night playing GH when I first bought it.

On the topic of "have friends over and do silly things" one game you should try out for that is Wario Smooth Moves. That is the first game I ever played on a wii and fell in love with it. I do suggest renting it first because it is still fairly pricey. At least if you rent it, you'll know if it's worth the $50 or $60 whatever it is.

I have guitar hero for my x-box 360, and enjoy it immensely, but I haven't picked it back up in a while.

I spend too much time between NHL 10, WoW and work.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Oilerdiehard

Deleted a couple posts. Please keep it civil guys. Thanks and carry on. I am really enjoying reading through this thread.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
c4fn8d

Everyone talks about the 360's rrod, but here is some PS3 news that people may not have heard as much about:

The PS3 was given the number-eight spot on PC World magazine’s list of "The Top 21 Tech Screwups of 2006," where it was criticized for being "Late, Expensive, and Incompatible"

GamesRadar ranked the PS3 as the top item in a feature on game-related PR disasters, asking how Sony managed to "take one of the most anticipated game systems of all time and — within the space of a year — turn it into a hate object reviled by the entire internet"

Gabe Newell of Valve said "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think it's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted". He continued "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over.

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has criticised the PS3’s high development costs and inferior attach rate and return to that of the Xbox 360 and Wii. He believes these factors are pushing developers away from working on the console.

... even Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment, said that the PS3 was intentionally difficult to develop for.

Here is what www.hardcoreware.net has to say in Jan 2009:

"In the end, I think we can say that multiplatform gaming is getting closer to parity, but it’s not quite there yet. The 360’s superior graphics power is especially applicable to multi-platform games"

link: http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstat...o-years-later/

Here is a comparison of Bayonetta:

"the difference is “night and day”. It’s not even funny – it is like a completely different game", "the 360 version of Bayonetta is the way to go", "On PS3 the game struggles to get anywhere near 30 frames a second (plus slowdown and tearing) but on the 360 the frame rate’s locked at 60.", "The image quality when the action is still (to my eyes) looks much the same, but when you see both side by side in motion there’s no comparison. When you play the very first scene in the prologue on 360 it’s clear that this is how Platinum Games intended Bayonetta to be experienced" - thesixthaxis (link: )

There are WAY more comparisons, but I'm getting tired of all of this. The only other argument that PS3-boys like to throw out is but you have to pay to be online. This is not entirely true, however, I'm actually glad to pay for gold membership, because I'm assured a standardized mechanism for online games (achievements, friends lists, in-game chat, out of game chat, cross game invites, etc). Halo3, cod mw2, any EA games, etc, all have a similar look and feel when matchmaking, and they are all pretty bulletproof in terms of on-line play.

It's true Wii is for entertaining with friends in your home, but 360 is when you want to do some serious online gaming with friends.

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:04 PM
stangconv

Where did you guys go to learn how to unlock the Wii? I want to do it, but am a little unsure on doing it myself. Any tips?

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
blue_n_copper

I am 48 and not really a gamer at all. I bought a gamecube for my daughter when she was 6 and then updated to the Wii a couple of years ago. I think a lot of people here have it right when they say Wii and the other consoles are not going after the same market at all. I like playing Mario Kart online. I just got the new Super Mario Bros Wii and it is a blast. But as I say I am not a hard core gamer.

I actually like old school RPGs so what I am debating right now is whether I should download the original NES Final Fantasy, or Phantasy Star 4 for Genesis from the virtual console. I have been waiting for Square Enix to make the NES Dragon Warrior games available on the virtual console, but so far its not happening.

blue_n_copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
Everyone talks about the 360's rrod, but here is some PS3 news that people may not have heard as much about:

The PS3 was given the number-eight spot on PC World magazine’s list of "The Top 21 Tech Screwups of 2006," where it was criticized for being "Late, Expensive, and Incompatible"

GamesRadar ranked the PS3 as the top item in a feature on game-related PR disasters, asking how Sony managed to "take one of the most anticipated game systems of all time and — within the space of a year — turn it into a hate object reviled by the entire internet"

Gabe Newell of Valve said "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think it's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted". He continued "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over.

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has criticised the PS3’s high development costs and inferior attach rate and return to that of the Xbox 360 and Wii. He believes these factors are pushing developers away from working on the console.

... even Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment, said that the PS3 was intentionally difficult to develop for.

Here is what www.hardcoreware.net has to say in Jan 2009:

"In the end, I think we can say that multiplatform gaming is getting closer to parity, but it’s not quite there yet. The 360’s superior graphics power is especially applicable to multi-platform games"

link: http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstat...o-years-later/

Here is a comparison of Bayonetta:

"the difference is “night and day”. It’s not even funny – it is like a completely different game", "the 360 version of Bayonetta is the way to go", "On PS3 the game struggles to get anywhere near 30 frames a second (plus slowdown and tearing) but on the 360 the frame rate’s locked at 60.", "The image quality when the action is still (to my eyes) looks much the same, but when you see both side by side in motion there’s no comparison. When you play the very first scene in the prologue on 360 it’s clear that this is how Platinum Games intended Bayonetta to be experienced" - thesixthaxis (link: )

There are WAY more comparisons, but I'm getting tired of all of this. The only other argument that PS3-boys like to throw out is but you have to pay to be online. This is not entirely true, however, I'm actually glad to pay for gold membership, because I'm assured a standardized mechanism for online games (achievements, friends lists, in-game chat, out of game chat, cross game invites, etc). Halo3, cod mw2, any EA games, etc, all have a similar look and feel when matchmaking, and they are all pretty bulletproof in terms of on-line play.

It's true Wii is for entertaining with friends in your home, but 360 is when you want to do some serious online gaming with friends.
This, the only good PS3 games are exclusive titles... and those are few and far between these days. Multiplatform ports are all terrible on the PS3 - it's like the PS3 has become a bad 360 emulator. I used to be such a Sony fanboy, but PS3 turned me (and a lot of people) away, for good reason.

Live is the better service by far too... Nothing like a monthly fee to keep devs accountable. Sony and their devout play the 'free' card to escape accountability for a below standard network and interface.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote