HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boycot The Cbc!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 09:28 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

vCash: 500
I watched a game a few months back on LeafsTV (sunday night classics). Danny Gallivan was the announcer. What a wonderful voice. It put me in such a relaxed state and to sleep so peacefully. (was on a long stretch of insomnia) I really wish we had a Danny Gallivan for every broadcast. Foster Hewitt may have been the groundbreaker and very good at his job, but Gallivan was the best broadcaster ever. No one has even come close.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:30 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien

Hrudey is great. McLean is slipping overtly into the Leaf Nation in a way that I would never have guessed he would have exhibited. Oh well.
Agreed, I have no problem with Cherry being a Leaf guy, he sells himself that way and it's showbiz anyways. You know what you're getting though you don't have to like it. McLean should be above that. It's seemed in the Sens/Leafs series that to him the Leafs are Canada's team and the opposition is from some other continent.Seems to me his job as foil to Cherry is to give both points of view. If Leafs lose, he asks what's wrong with the Leafs, if they win, he praises them. The Sens don't seem part of the equation.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:32 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
I watched a game a few months back on LeafsTV (sunday night classics). Danny Gallivan was the announcer. What a wonderful voice. It put me in such a relaxed state and to sleep so peacefully. (was on a long stretch of insomnia) I really wish we had a Danny Gallivan for every broadcast. Foster Hewitt may have been the groundbreaker and very good at his job, but Gallivan was the best broadcaster ever. No one has even come close.
Oh my god - The first time I've 100% argeed with any post you've made

Old
04-20-2004, 09:34 AM
mcphee

Quote:

There are a lot of things that give you a reminder of childhood, whether it be a meal the way your Mom made it, or 5 cent hockey card packs, or a soft drink that you used to get at a corner store that you don't see anymore. For me, when I hear Gallivan's voice, the hair stands up on my neck. I think a lot of people brought up in his era feel that way.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
To be honest: I'm just praying that Whitman and Healy stay on with the Habs. You have to figure Cuthbert's Crew will stay with the Flames. What if Toronto is eliminated tonight? I'm sure the "perk" post of games in sunny T.B. would be offered to the Veteran Crew of Cole and Neale, if they wanted that instead of the Sens. Heaven forbid. If we had Cole and Neale calling our series, Whitman and Healy would seem like Gallivan and Irvin by contrast.
I think Cole and Neal would stay on with the other team no matter what happened. Fewer new names to memorize (for Whitman too, who seems to have a problem with that). I think that's a shame myself, because Cole is way better than Whitman, IMO. Neale stinks, but he's less offensive than Healy, who'll probably spend the entire next series explaining what the Bolts have to do to beat us and cheerleading them on to do it.

Out of the CBC guys, Cole is one of the ones I respect. He gave us some great commentary when we won in 93. He was VERY fired up. I also like Hrudy, Cuthbert, and Davidson, when he shows up. Cherry is an idiot (albeit a harmless one), Neale is horrible, McLean is losing it (Zednik "dove" after getting crosschecked in the back of the neck? Give me a f-ing break. Plus, he never even seems to challenge Cherry's comments anymore), and we've already discussed the others. Bottom line: CBC isn't all bad. They've got some quality guys. All they need are a few tweaks.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot
I agree with Darz all the way. Healy bothers me and Hrudey is an excellent commentator.

But I have to add that Whitman bothers me, too. He works for the CBC, he covers hockey, a game in which a good number of the players are Québecois, and yet he can't pronounce any of their names. My favourite was Steve Beijing.

Steve Beijing!!!! I mean, come on.
HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH! You almost killed me with that one!

Next round, it's gonna be Steve Pékin!

Old
04-20-2004, 09:41 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Indeed McPhee. I work as a support worker with individuals who are disabled. I volunteered to go to the Tommy Hunter show because one of the men I work with really wanted to go. i really wasn't looking forward to it. I swear to god, that night it was like jumping into a time machine and I landed right in my grandparents livingroom in the 1974-1978 time period, remembering the saturday evenings of my youth: Church, dinner with the grandparents, the local and national news, Tommy Hunter and Hockey night in Canada. It turned out to be an extremely emotional experience that I had no idea I was in for that evening. I really miss my Grandmother who passed away nearly 3 years ago. It took an evening with Tommy Hunter and remembering the good times to realize how much.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Darz

Quote:
I look forward to one of these from you: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=71827
I'll PM ya one if the Leafs (or should I say Ed Belfour) win tonight!

I gotta admit, Belfour has put on the best playoff goaltending performance I've seen since Hasek versus the habs in 1998.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:47 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Oh my god - The first time I've 100% argeed with any post you've made
you didn't agree with me 100% when I said that you have the best avatar and that Jean Beliveau is probably the classiest men to ever play the game? Yikes you are hard to please.

I'll let you in on a secret: I am really not that obnoxious in real life. I have a job where I am required to be a nice guy. The board is kind of my escape. I come here sometiomes to escape and to be an obnoxious *****, kinda like a heel wrestler (the ones sho usually turn out to be the nicest guys). Don't let anyone else know. I would hate for my reputation as an ******* to be ruined.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I think Cole and Neal would stay on with the other team no matter what happened. Fewer new names to memorize (for Whitman too, who seems to have a problem with that). I think that's a shame myself, because Cole is way better than Whitman, IMO. Neale stinks, but he's less offensive than Healy, who'll probably spend the entire next series explaining what the Bolts have to do to beat us and cheerleading them on to do it.
Out of the CBC guys, Cole is one of the ones I respect. He gave us some great commentary when we won in 93. He was VERY fired up.
I think Cole *could* be good, if he really put his mind to it maybe. But I don't think '93 factors into it anymore. Cole is relaxed as the veteran "voice of Canadian hockey now", and to me doesn't even really try to call the game anymore or hide a Leaf bias. His time has passed, and while he never does anything outrageously bad, he just leaves too much empty air in the play-by-play (which *would* be a blessing... *if* the rink sounds were there to fill it instead of Neale!). I think Cole would butcher the Habs names even worse than Whitman, out of sheer apathy.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I gotta admit, Belfour has put on the best playoff goaltending performance I've seen since Hasek versus the habs in 1998.
I've generally dissed Belfour for a the better part of a decade now, and even moreso when it seemed he became the latest torch bearer in the long line of Palmateer-Bester-whoever-Potvin-Joseph deities in the Leaf pantheon. But he is singlehandedly keeping the Leafs alive against a dramatically superior opponent in Ottawa.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Agreed, I have no problem with Cherry being a Leaf guy, he sells himself that way and it's showbiz anyways. You know what you're getting though you don't have to like it. McLean should be above that. It's seemed in the Sens/Leafs series that to him the Leafs are Canada's team and the opposition is from some other continent.Seems to me his job as foil to Cherry is to give both points of view. If Leafs lose, he asks what's wrong with the Leafs, if they win, he praises them. The Sens don't seem part of the equation.
I'm no good at remembering exact quotes, but there were a couple of times in this past week where I was rubbing my eyes wondering if McLean was shifting into a bit of role reversal... that is, when he was with Hrudey, it was like Hrudey was the calm, stable, rational, analytical, insightful guy, and McLean was taking on the role of the raving lunatic shock-tactic Leaf fan (well, with rather more subtlety than Cherry, but then it's pretty hard not to be more subtle than Cherry). Maybe it's all part of the Grand Scheme.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:05 AM
habfan4

Quote:
you didn't agree with me 100% when I said that you have the best avatar and that Jean Beliveau is probably the classiest men to ever play the game? Yikes you are hard to please.
I agree with that statement as well. Stop it you really are starting to scare me!

Quote:
I'll let you in on a secret: I am really not that obnoxious in real life. I have a job where I am required to be a nice guy. The board is kind of my escape. I come here sometiomes to escape and to be an obnoxious *****, kinda like a heel wrestler (the ones sho usually turn out to be the nicest guys). Don't let anyone else know. I would hate for my reputation as an ******* to be ruined.
Your secret is safe with me.

Old
04-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Habs

ESPN's coverage of last nights game, blew CBC out of the water.

Whitman can't tell the difference between #73, and 71 and called Ryder 'Ribeiro' all night long.

He thinks its Todd Gill playing for Boston, and not Hal Gill. I heard him call Zednick 'Zednlisky', and Markov 'Makarov'.

If he was a horse, he certainly would be a candidate for a bottle of glue at this point.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Joe Cole

Last night, when the Bruins recovered the puck in the defensive end and passed it up the neutral zone

"Boston breaks up the play and makes the go-ahead pass thru the neutral zone."

Montreal does the exact same thing 5 seconds later, as the bruins lose the handle on the pass....

"Montreal clears it out of the zone."

No bias here....

Old
04-20-2004, 01:31 PM
BigM1ke

I will never boycott CBC as long as Pedneault and Houle are the broadcaster of RDS.

Old
04-20-2004, 01:41 PM
chicpea*

Man, I hate Healey's style thus far too, but we have to be careful what we wish for. We could end up with Greg Millen! Trust me, no one wants that. This won't be popular, but I'd love to have Cole and Neale - I get a kick out of them; their mannerisms, style, emotion, their stories and even their mistakes. Plus, I think it's Cole who is a huge Habs fan (or Neale?) so if you're calling them Leafs homers you're mistaken. Anyway, Whitman's not bad, but he's pretty boring and unemotional. Bring back Dick Irvin jr!

Old
04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
All-Star

Even my wife who wasn't even watching the games (she could hear the game from the other room) commented on how anti-Canadiens the comentators were...

Old
04-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Guy LaFleur

Maybe it's my Newfie bias, but Cole is God.

Not as much of a God as Theo... or Kovi... or Zeddy, but close.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur
Maybe it's my Newfie bias, but Cole is God.

Not as much of a God as Theo... or Kovi... or Zeddy, but close.

early in the game last night, i heard healy say "that wouldve made it 2-0" after thornton missed a shot on goal. the game was scoreless at the time.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Which one is Healy again? lol

Old
04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
This won't be popular, but I'd love to have Cole and Neale - I get a kick out of them; their mannerisms, style, emotion, their stories and even their mistakes. Plus, I think it's Cole who is a huge Habs fan (or Neale?) so if you're calling them Leafs homers you're mistaken. Anyway, Whitman's not bad, but he's pretty boring and unemotional. Bring back Dick Irvin jr!
I agree. Back to the "Three Wise Men of Hockey" act: Cole doing play-by-play, Neale interjecting inane comments and mispronouncing names, and Irvin jumping in every five minutes to tell a story about his dad or about something some hab did in the 50s. Gotta love Dick Irvin. He always championed our cause on CBC and offset the leaf homerism. The broadcasts have been unbalanced since he stopped doing colour.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:58 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Dick Irvin = CLASSIC
Everyone Else = **********

Old
04-20-2004, 04:02 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I'll be boycotting Radio-Canada if Danielle Sauvageau is back next year.

Old
04-20-2004, 04:02 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD
Dick Irvin = CLASSIC
Everyone Else = **********
Douches are useful, Greg Millen is not.

Closed Thread