HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

01/09/10 New Jersey @ Montreal 7PM RDS/CBC/MSG+

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2010, 03:37 PM
  #101
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Ok then what is it? Economic problems? It's not an arena problem, from what I hear it's one of the nicest arena's in the NHL.

Educate me.
They're just not that much of a hockey town.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
  #102
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,035
vCash: 500
With the injuries, it's MaxPac's opportunity to take his game to a new level.

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:09 PM
  #103
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
They're just not that much of a hockey town.
San Jose is? They sell out.

JGRB is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
  #104
Habs83
Registered User
 
Habs83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Nicely done MIG!!!! Always have great GDT's.

This will be an interesting game.......

Go Habs Go!!

Habs83 is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
  #105
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
01/08/10 - Lightning@Devils: GAME POSTPONED
Haha, nice touch. Didn't read this far at first. Lightning strikes and the lights go out, lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
  #106
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
San Jose is? They sell out.
Just because we don't hear about them in Montreal doesn't mean that they are not a hockey town.

I go to San Jose each year to talk business and hockey (hehehe), and each street i walk in there a guy or girl with a Sharks jersey (not literally), i even saw a few dogs with a Sharks jersey on .

So yes i have to say they are a hockey town (kinda).

Sandvich is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:31 PM
  #107
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Good luck tonight gentlemen. Devil's have plenty of fan's just not all of them live around Newark. It's like fan's driving from Albany to Montreal every game, it isn't going to happen all the time. When there is an important game, playoff game, or division rival game more of the fan's make their way out to the game. Newark is MOSTLY black people. Also we live right next to the biggest city in the world with a bigger population then the whole state of New Jersey. Philly is right down the road too, same with Pittsburgh. We're gaining new fan's every day but most of the older fan's are already established Ranger, Flyer, or Pen fans if not a Devil's fan. Some of the 9,000 attendance number you guy's hear are wrong, we average 14,000-17,000 a game which isn't good but we're not the worst in the league. Anyways, good luck tonight and hopefully it's a quick paced, entertaining game.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
  #108
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go
 
We Want The 25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
im actually pretty pumped for this game now i think its gonna be a good one

We Want The 25 is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
  #109
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Just because we don't hear about them in Montreal doesn't mean that they are not a hockey town.

I go to San Jose each year to talk business and hockey (hehehe), and each street i walk in there a guy or girl with a Sharks jersey (not literally), i even saw a few dogs with a Sharks jersey on .

So yes i have to say they are a hockey town (kinda).
You missed my point.

San Jose is in California (not exactly a hockey market) yet they manage to draw people to their games. Why? The product is excellent (not so much in the playoffs yet, but regardless) and they are a pretty darn exciting team to watch.. Which is the point I am getting at.

For the Jersey poster below you, I see where your coming from with most of the older fans being Rangers, Flyers or Penguins fans being that all the teams are within proximity and the Devils we're the last to be established.

But the Flyers haven't won a cup since the 70s, the Rangers since 94 and the Pens only recently reclaimed any respectability. You'd think between 94 and 2003, when the Devils emerged as one of the most respectable franchises in the NHL in terms of on-ice success, they could have generated more fans and even stole some (bandwagoners) from other teams. Yet, from what I see this isn't the case? Is part of it the hockey market? Probably. Is part of it the fact they had a stinky arena? Probably? Is part of it the fact they are boring team? Probably.

It's not one factor, but I'd say the fact they've been boring has definitely been hurtful to potential growth in the market place.

JGRB is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
  #110
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,542
vCash: 500
i think that martin should pair pleks with bergeron.

FF de Mars is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
  #111
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You missed my point.

San Jose is in California (not exactly a hockey market) yet they manage to draw people to their games. Why? The product is excellent (not so much in the playoffs yet, but regardless) and they are a pretty darn exciting team to watch.. Which is the point I am getting at.

For the Jersey poster below you, I see where your coming from with most of the older fans being Rangers, Flyers or Penguins fans being that all the teams are within proximity and the Devils we're the last to be established.

But the Flyers haven't won a cup since the 70s, the Rangers since 94 and the Pens only recently reclaimed any respectability. You'd think between 94 and 2003, when the Devils emerged as one of the most respectable franchises in the NHL in terms of on-ice success, they could have generated more fans and even stole some (bandwagoners) from other teams. Yet, from what I see this isn't the case? Is part of it the hockey market? Probably. Is part of it the fact they had a stinky arena? Probably? Is part of it the fact they are boring team? Probably.

It's not one factor, but I'd say the fact they've been boring has definitely been hurtful to potential growth in the market place.
I just don't understand the boring component of your argument. What is boring? Yes, we've always been a defensive minded team but the day's of 0-0 hockey games are over. We have the best American forward in hockey who scored 45 goals last season, a goaltender with the most wins and shutouts of all-time, an up and coming star in Zajac, and one of the best American defenceman in the league. I don't find any kind of hockey boring, some people might just have short attention spans and have to see goals scored and a back and fourth game to be entertained. I enjoy the little things of a hockey game and don't need the aforementioned things to happen to be excited and enjoy the game. To an outsider looking in, yes we have a boring team because we always find a way to win and play a tight game which decreases scoring chances for the opposing team. However I don't think that argument could be made against us when talking about attendance. We're just in a bad market, plain and simple. That's like saying if Montreal was successful all Toronto fans would jump ship because of it. That's not going to happen.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
  #112
xduckiex
Registered User
 
xduckiex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
Nice to see White called up.

Hopefully they filed the paperwork correctly this time.........

xduckiex is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
  #113
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
I just don't understand the boring component of your argument. What is boring? Yes, we've always been a defensive minded team but the day's of 0-0 hockey games are over. We have the best American forward in hockey who scored 45 goals last season, a goaltender with the most wins and shutouts of all-time, an up and coming star in Zajac, and one of the best American defenceman in the league. I don't find any kind of hockey boring, some people might just have short attention spans and have to see goals scored and a back and fourth game to be entertained. I enjoy the little things of a hockey game and don't need the aforementioned things to happen to be excited and enjoy the game. To an outsider looking in, yes we have a boring team because we always find a way to win and play a tight game which decreases scoring chances for the opposing team. However I don't think that argument could be made against us when talking about attendance. We're just in a bad market, plain and simple. That's like saying if Montreal was successful all Toronto fans would jump ship because of it. That's not going to happen.
My point throughout this entire GDT has been that to an outsider (aka: me) I find the Devils boring and don't want to watch their games more often then not. If they we're the Habs, I'd still watch them, because they'd be my team. I watch the Habs now and they are boring as hell, I hate Jacques Martin and I hate his so called system but I will stick it out until he and his system are gone. But, they are my team and always have been and I'm willing to put up with that.

If I'm at home on a Sunday night with nothing to watch on TV, and I see two hockey games. Jersey vs Rangers or Penguins vs Capitals... I know which game I'm watching, but that's my opinion.

I can appreciate the tactics behind a defensive system, but it's like any other sport... The masses prefer to see fast paced, end to end, high scoring action. It sells.

JGRB is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
  #114
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
My point throughout this entire GDT has been that to an outsider (aka: me) I find the Devils boring and don't want to watch their games more often then not. If they we're the Habs, I'd still watch them, because they'd be my team. I watch the Habs now and they are boring as hell, I hate Jacques Martin and I hate his so called system but I will stick it out until he and his system are gone. But, they are my team and always have been and I'm willing to put up with that.

If I'm at home on a Sunday night with nothing to watch on TV, and I see two hockey games. Jersey vs Rangers or Penguins vs Capitals... I know which game I'm watching, but that's my opinion.

I can appreciate the tactics behind a defensive system, but it's like any other sport... The masses prefer to see fast paced, end to end, high scoring action. It sells.
I understand that and I know that's what sells and your right, the masses who don't know anything about hockey want to see a high paced, high scoring game with a bunch of fights. However, that should not be the same with a genuine hockey fan. We can appreciate the smaller nuances of a game that's 2-1 instead of a 7-2 blowout. Don't get me wrong though I always love a close 6-5 kind of game but I don't want to see that every night from my team. Also, if any hockey fan from where I live see's a Rangers - Devils game or a Pens - Caps it's the other way around. Devils - Ranger games are very entertaining my friend. It's a very heated rivalry.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
  #115
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You missed my point.

San Jose is in California (not exactly a hockey market) yet they manage to draw people to their games. Why? The product is excellent (not so much in the playoffs yet, but regardless) and they are a pretty darn exciting team to watch.. Which is the point I am getting at.
Actually northern california specifically is a hockey market with roots that go well beyond the Sharks at both junior, semi and professional level.

Winning helps sells tickets, Senators and Oilers are a good example (they don't sell out every game).

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
  #116
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,785
vCash: 500
Last game I correctly predicted the 2-0 win but tonight I feel we'll lose this one, something like 5-1.

Ceux de Montreal is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
  #117
fcb51
 
fcb51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
With the injuries, it's MaxPac's opportunity to take his game to a new level.
from average to above-average

fcb51 is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
  #118
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
Good luck tonight gentlemen. Devil's have plenty of fan's just not all of them live around Newark. It's like fan's driving from Albany to Montreal every game, it isn't going to happen all the time. When there is an important game, playoff game, or division rival game more of the fan's make their way out to the game. Newark is MOSTLY black people. Also we live right next to the biggest city in the world with a bigger population then the whole state of New Jersey. Philly is right down the road too, same with Pittsburgh. We're gaining new fan's every day but most of the older fan's are already established Ranger, Flyer, or Pen fans if not a Devil's fan. Some of the 9,000 attendance number you guy's hear are wrong, we average 14,000-17,000 a game which isn't good but we're not the worst in the league. Anyways, good luck tonight and hopefully it's a quick paced, entertaining game.
That kind of issues are alien to us. You're talking a language that Habs fans never had to learn since... the team was created 100 years ago. It took the worst Habs team in history (early 00s) and terrible management and marketing to NOT sell out the Bell Center. That's a sign of the apocalypse, by the way, right between hell freezing over and Stephen Harper caring about trees. Forbes named the Habs a "recession-proof" organization. World War III could start tomorrow, the Habs would still make profits and still be front page.

But if you want to trade Parise for PK Subban and turn all those black people into hockey fans, I'm sure our GM will listen

Etienne is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:28 PM
  #119
Pandemic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver. BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
I understand that and I know that's what sells and your right, the masses who don't know anything about hockey want to see a high paced, high scoring game with a bunch of fights. However, that should not be the same with a genuine hockey fan. We can appreciate the smaller nuances of a game that's 2-1 instead of a 7-2 blowout. Don't get me wrong though I always love a close 6-5 kind of game but I don't want to see that every night from my team. Also, if any hockey fan from where I live see's a Rangers - Devils game or a Pens - Caps it's the other way around. Devils - Ranger games are very entertaining my friend. It's a very heated rivalry.
I agree that a 2-1 game can be 100 times more exciting than a 7-2 blowout. I don't think it's the high-scoring that sells (contrary to popular belief) but it's the high scoring CHANCES in a game that make it exciting. I'd much rather see numerous good chances where the goalies are on top of their game and making ridiculous saves and end to end breakouts where the defenceman makes a good play to break up the odd man rush. It's much better than seeing someone being blown out 7-2 night in night out.

Pandemic is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
  #120
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
I just don't understand the boring component of your argument. What is boring? Yes, we've always been a defensive minded team but the day's of 0-0 hockey games are over. We have the best American forward in hockey who scored 45 goals last season, a goaltender with the most wins and shutouts of all-time, an up and coming star in Zajac, and one of the best American defenceman in the league. I don't find any kind of hockey boring, some people might just have short attention spans and have to see goals scored and a back and fourth game to be entertained. I enjoy the little things of a hockey game and don't need the aforementioned things to happen to be excited and enjoy the game. To an outsider looking in, yes we have a boring team because we always find a way to win and play a tight game which decreases scoring chances for the opposing team. However I don't think that argument could be made against us when talking about attendance. We're just in a bad market, plain and simple. That's like saying if Montreal was successful all Toronto fans would jump ship because of it. That's not going to happen.
Good post - Winning isn't boring. I don't care how the heck my Habs win, I just want them to win. I would trade the Habs last 20 yrs of the occassional exciting team, for Jersey's last 20 yrs of boring Cup winning teams any day.

I have to say that Martin Brodeur is one hell of a superstar to have influenced this team over 2 decades, and moving into his 3rd. I hate the guy for sticking it to us for so long, but you have to respect what he brings to the table. Now if he can do that in Vancouver, as he did in Salt Lake, his legend will grow even further.

habspinner is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
  #121
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post

But if you want to trade Parise for PK Subban and turn all those black people into hockey fans, I'm sure our GM will listen



Why do you think we went from never having a black player to having 3 on our starting line up all of a sudden?

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
  #122
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Ok then what is it? Economic problems? It's not an arena problem, from what I hear it's one of the nicest arena's in the NHL.

Educate me.
(1) They were in the swamp and the people that watch the team are Rangers fans that can't get Rangers tickets.

(2) The moved to Newark, the murder capital. The neighbourhood is supposely awful and that could be a factor.

(3) See 1, the Devils have a "bandwagon" following. There is no real strong fan base with two NY teams already having the fans.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
  #123
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
(1) They were in the swamp and the people that watch the team are Rangers fans that can't get Rangers tickets.

(2) The moved to Newark, the murder capital. The neighbourhood is supposely awful and that could be a factor.

(3) See 1, the Devils have a "bandwagon" following. There is no real strong fan base with two NY teams already having the fans.

Newark is bad but your fine if you stay around the arena. If you venture down the back blocks your probably going to end up in a body bag.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:42 PM
  #124
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,299
vCash: 500
Let's go habs! Please play a good, interesting game. I normally miss most of the games now because of work, so the few I do get to catch, please be good ones.

There should be a rule in Montréal that no one has to work past game time if they're a habs fan. This way, when I move there, it will be sweeeeet.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
  #125
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,590
vCash: 500
3-2 win for the Habs, can't quite tell through the crystal ball if it is a regulation or OT win.

Craig71 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.