HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shot Location Question

Old
01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Shot Location Question

When I take most of my shots (I am a forward) I typically try and pick the top corners. I have noticed a lot of NHL players shooting about halfway up the goal (1.5-2 feet off the ground) instead of the very top. I have never really seen that location open so I am wondering if that is just shooting above the pads knowing the goalie is going to drop down? I wonder if that area is open in a beer league or is it open because the pro goalie's reactions are so quick that they open it up.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Your beer league % will go up greatly if shooting low to the side you carry the puck on. Trust me, it is the most high % shot at any level.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check that out.

In beer/rec league, goalies tend to play stand-up and at lower levels often don't come out to play the angle so much, so a lot of low shots are more effective. Better goalies often butterfly more, so they take away those low shots, making mid and high shots more effective.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
noobman

The most common targets are the four corners of the net and the five hole.

I've heard of some guys trying to aim just below the armpit to try and handcuff the goalie. If you miss too far in either direction you wind up shooting mid-post, or right into the goalie's chest.

Even still, I've heard of some guys trying to shoot just above the goalie's pads. Modern goalie butterfly pads flair out when the goalies go down to make a save. By shooting just above them, you're forcing the goalie to make a low glove/blocker save. Most goalies I play against are better at making the high glove/blocker saves than the low ones. IDK if this holds true at higher levels.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
pfloyd75

A wise man once said: You can shoot over the goal but you can't shoot under it, so shoot low.

I play both goalie and forward. My experience is that I give up more goals low (which is odd because I'm a butterfly style goalie who probably relies on the butterfly too much) and I also score more goals low.

Scoring low isn't as pretty and doesn't get the "ooohs and aaahs" of a nice top shelf goal but it looks the same on the scoreboard.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
A wise man once said: You can shoot over the goal but you can't shoot under it, so shoot low.

I play both goalie and forward. My experience is that I give up more goals low (which is odd because I'm a butterfly style goalie who probably relies on the butterfly too much) and I also score more goals low.

Scoring low isn't as pretty and doesn't get the "ooohs and aaahs" of a nice top shelf goal but it looks the same on the scoreboard
Exactly right. As long as the goalie isn't a big guy who's already in full butterfly, shooting low is smart. Why? 1) It's harder for the goalie to make saves with his legs than his arms 2) you have better accuracy shooting low and 3) rebounds/deflections. And think of this, if you shoot high and miss, it usually hits the glass and drops dead for the other teams defenseman.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wish I had as good accuracy shooting low as I do high...

Seriously, last night I went to the local pond and shot some pucks, most of the high shots went right under the bar with great velocity, the low shots all were kind of weak.

Another odd thing, even as a defenseman, I score more goals up high (usually off turnovers) than low. I will get a great shot off but the goalie just gets a stick or pad on it, but shooting high for whatever reason I beat the goalie more.

Or hit that stupid little nub of tape on the very butt end of the goalie stick.

Old
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
LyNX27

When I shoot, I take every thing into perspective... I shouldn't only be aiming at the top corner every time... Which is the goalies glove hand, where is he positioned, is he out too far, is he in too deep?

These are a few of the many things to be considered and should affect your shot on a basis by basis kinda way. Shooting low is generally the best way to get it done. If your shot doesn't find the back of the net, generally it provides a juicy rebound in front and will often create a little confusion... which is good for you.

Shots up high are very hit or miss... you either hit it, or you don't in which case its usually a turn over if you miss high... Unless the goalie gloves it.

Shooting about a foot of the ground is my personal favorite because of the fact that many goalies go butterfly now adays or, when they hit the knees they overcompensate and the puck goes above the pads.

Every situation is different, so treat it so. Sometimes the opportunity for a high shot is too good to pass up, especially on a goalie who shows he's weak up high, especially on the blocker side and doubly so if he's slightly out of position as he'll probably try and push off his other skate and (unfortunately for him) slide into the butterfly position as a consequence of being on one skate.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
LyNX27

Also as both a goalie and a player, goalies have a harder time dropping the glove to catch a puck than lifting it, so generally 3 inches to the side of the pads and about 1-1 1/2 of a foot above the ice will result in the goalie sliding into butterfly or not reacting fast enough to catch it.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Ragss

As a 6'5 goalie my biggest weakness is my 5 hole. Its not easy to close a door that big with quickness. As a newer goalie I know one problem must of us share is poor positioning when the forward is coming in down the side. A few times I've been beat by basically a hard pass to the far post. Every time it happened I'm baffled as to how I wasn't able to cover it. Other than that I can't offer too much insight since the last time I played, for example, far more than half the 'shots' I faced were breakaways, 2 on 1s, 2 on 0s and 3 on 0s.

I dunno about other goalies, but when it comes to rec league or shinny I don't think when I'm on the ice. I don't try to anticipate where the player might shoot. I just stare at the puck and let my reflexes do the work.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I guess since I have always had a good wrist shot that I just thought I should go top corner. I am going to work on some different height shots and low shots for awhile.

That video made me realize how much of an illusion I was giving myself with the top corners being open.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I guess since I have always had a good wrist shot that I just thought I should go top corner. I am going to work on some different height shots and low shots for awhile.

That video made me realize how much of an illusion I was giving myself with the top corners being open.
Best part is it is always fun to practice shooting.

good luck

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Hockeyfan68

I play defense and score a lot from the blueline with a shot that is low and about 2 feet off the ice. Sometimes I try to pick a corner for funs and giggles from the high slot but not often.

I also fake a shot and hit a guy's stick in front with a hard crisp somewhat flat on the ice for a tip in shooting low. Or .... I just shoot a puck flat on the ice into the pile out front.

Am I some sort of expert .... NO. Am I a gifted player .... no. But I score a lot playing a position not known for scoring so you be the judge. I am just as happy getting the assists as well from the point.

I have an excellent shot though so maybe I am gifted at shooting but average at everything else, you know "El handso of cemento". I read the play well too so defense is fun.

That was a good video and it also shows why goalies cannot play too deep into their net and need to trust their angles.

Thanks for posting that.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Every single hockey camp you go to, they preach shooting low. I think it was something like 70% of goals are scored below the waste.

SHOOT LOW!

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
densetsu

Speaking as a beer league goalie...

- A low shot is an "opportunity" shot. Chances are, it won't go in, and the goalie will either stop it with his stick and smother it, or direct the shot to the corner. However, if the goalie doesn't control the rebound, the puck will be sitting 5' - 10' away, ready to be stuffed in by you or your teammates.

- Furthermore, low shots are much easier for your teammates to deflect with their sticks. And if there's traffic, low shots have a much better chance of making it through than a high shot, deflecting off a leg or skate in the process. Again, more trouble for the goalie.

- Another nice shot is 12" - 24" off the ice, just over the pad. Where you shoot really depends on the goalie, but just inside the post is always a good choice. An inexperienced goalie will have to make a big stretch for the save, while a good goalie will make a short butterfly slide over to make a glove save without overextending for a desperation save.

- Unlike a glove-side shot, a mid-height shot to the blocker can't be held for a whistle. Proper technique dictates that the goalie should direct the rebound to the corner; but any rebound is better than the goalie just freezing it in his trapper.

- Some goalies know the previous point, and "cheat" to one side. Instead of standing directly between the puck and the center of the net, they'll go off to the side to give more open space trapper side, hoping you'll shoot there. Throw them a shot blocker-side in these cases.

- If you're cutting across the crease with the puck, try throwing the puck five-hole towards the post you're skating away from. From the goalie's perspective, say you're going right to left. Step A is to use his right left to push off in a slide, and to put his left leg down in a half-butterfly. Step B is to bring his right leg back and close the five-hole. Shoot for the five-hole between step A and step B, perhaps even banking the puck off his right leg.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
CanadaBacon

I find ringing it off the pipe half way up is a sweet spot.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I used to play pickup with a bunch of former HS players (a couple D3 and low junior guys in the mix) who were way, way, way better than I'll ever be...more goals were scored 5-hole getting the goalie to move laterally than any other way.

Old
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I used to play pickup with a bunch of former HS players (a couple D3 and low junior guys in the mix) who were way, way, way better than I'll ever be...more goals were scored 5-hole getting the goalie to move laterally than any other way.
Funny thing is, that's true from adult C league up to the pros. I had a deflection goal 5-hole last night,

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:18 PM
MatthewT

that video nails it

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Lario Melieux*

What I typically do as a winger on the rush is shoot low to the opposite side of the goal in hopes that the goalie gives a nice juicy rebound right into the slot for the driving center. If I'm rushing on the left then I shoot opposite side to the goalie's left pad, and vice versa.

If my team has possesion of the puck in the offensive zone with the cycle or whatnot, or I'm stationary in a good scoring area, and if I have enough time, sometimes I'll try to pick a corner.

Low stickside is my shot of choice.

Being a right hander breakaways are backhand top shelf over the goalie's stick side shoulder all day.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
What I typically do as a winger on the rush is shoot low to the opposite side of the goal in hopes that the goalie gives a nice juicy rebound right into the slot for the driving center. If I'm rushing on the left then I shoot opposite side to the goalie's left pad, and vice versa.

If my team has possesion of the puck in the offensive zone with the cycle or whatnot, or I'm stationary in a good scoring area, and if I have enough time, sometimes I'll try to pick a corner.

Low stickside is my shot of choice.

Being a right hander breakaways are backhand top shelf over the goalie's stick side shoulder all day.
You bring up a couple of good points as most goalies have their stickside on their right. Honestly I subconsciously hardly ever shoot glove hand being a left handed shot. I go five hole often and that works quite a bit ... you know fake shot stickside and tuck with the backhand five hole.

Rarely I will play against a guy who catches with his right hand and it does make me think more while out there.

Interesting.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Lososaurus

I shoot for the far-side. I've found a lot of the pickup/beer-league goalies come over just a bit too much and leave a gap on the far-side. Especially if you're moving forehand to backhand in direction( right handed = right->left, shoot right ).

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote