HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron

Old
01-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Islesny91

vCash: 500
Biron

Theres talk on the Islanders board about Biron going to Edmonton. Our team is in dire needs of young defensive help. I really dont know alot about edmonton prospects but we'd be looking for defensive help. how much would we have to add to get a guy like petry or plante away. they are two solid two-way defensive with size we could use as our def prospects we have are mainly offensive and tiny.

the word is a deal is close for Biron and I'm just trying to get a feel what you guys think it might be for.

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:25 AM
battlegoon

Were not trading any D prospects, only Dmen wed trade are Souray, Staios and Gilbert/Grebeshkov

No prospects are up for trade right now, why would we even want Biron? I cant imagine anything at all

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:29 AM
Bryanbryoil

No interest in Biron at all. That said, if the Isles were willing to become buyers at the deadline, how about Gilbert (can't send Grebs there since he was already there) and Moreau for Comeau, Tambellini, and a 2nd?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:36 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I really hope the Oilers aren't dumb enough to trade for goaltending help...

JDD is ensuring that this team losses games it shouldn't and doesn't win games it should...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post

JDD is ensuring that this team losses games it shouldn't and doesn't win games it should...
Let's be fair, the team in front of him isn't doing him any favors. Yes he sucks some nights but is still better than most of the rest of the team on many nights.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Let's be fair, the team in front of him isn't doing him any favors. Yes he sucks some nights but is still better than most of the rest of the team on many nights.
The only goalie I want is a Rask or Halak..someone to build around. A back up too good to be a back up like Bryzkalov was in Anaheim. We don't need help to get above our lottery pick. If we are trading for a gaolie it's for a long term solution to our injured forever Khabibulin.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:12 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm sure the team in front of him would look a lot better if we had even average (15th in SV%) goaltending... opposed to the plain bad (33rd IIRC in SV%) goaltending we have....

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:18 AM
oil slick

Quote:
I'm sure the team in front of him would look a lot better if we had even average (15th in SV%) goaltending... opposed to the plain bad (33rd IIRC in SV%) goaltending we have....
Perhaps, although I don't see why Biron (39th SV%) would make them win more games. Although it does beg the question, what's the point of trading for Biron?

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Islesny91

well, the good thing about biron is he's only on a one year deal. he's looking to be a 1b type goalie and with khabi's injuries, biron might be just wats needed. if we trade you guys biron, it'll be for either defensive help or picks. i can see grebeshkov cause he's still young and fits in with the rebuild.

Im not sure if you guys consider yourselves out of the race, looking at the threads on the top page it seems some have thrown it in, but if your looking for a playoff push biron can help. he's alot better than his record shows its just that with roli and now dp, theres no room for him anymore.

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:32 AM
oil slick

I guess I could potentially see a Biron for Strudwick trade; at least Biron would be able to take the load off JDD this year, and would allow DD to get starts in the AHL - and also gets allows Pekham or Chorney to play a few games...

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:33 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
NYI are hoping to create a market for biron--aint going to happen

at best a lower pick

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:

Oh cmon, JD has been pretty good. He's young and has had a few poor games but I have been generally impressed with his game.

Any goalie would have bad stats plying for the Oilers this year so don't even try to say he's bad because his SV% is not top 15th in the NHL. He's got what a .903 which isn't bad at all considering. Ward also has a .903 and he was in the running for Team Canada until the Hurricanes were horrible. Put him on a good team and not get injured and he gets strongly considered for team Canada 2010. In fact look who did make team Canada, MAF whats his SV%??? .903? I believe it is.

Khabibulin didn't post much better either at .909.

JD has been good this year all stats aside. He has had some tough games but so has Luongo, Brodeur, Lundqvist, Price, in fact name a goalie who hasn't had a tough game this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I guess I could potentially see a Biron for Strudwick trade; at least Biron would be able to take the load off JDD this year, and would allow DD to get starts in the AHL - and also gets allows Pekham or Chorney to play a few games...

I could see this. But JDD would be the 1a guy. It really depends on whether you want to see if DD can play in the NHL or not. Are you making a decision on JD vs DD next season? Or do you try to sneak DD through waivers and let him play in the AHL next season? If DD plays 15 games this year and proves he is ready for the NHL then I think its tough to get him through waivers next season. But if he gets 3 or 4 games and plays the rest in the AHL then you are more likely to be able to send him to the AHL next fall. I don't think any NHL team takes a chance on DD as their back up goalies with out seeing him play more than a couple games in the NHL this season.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Yanner39

Quote:

This is interesting (sorry if I'm changing the subject) because I am wondering what the Oilers will do about their goaltending in the offseason. It would seem to me that this is a position they have neglected over the past couple years.

It's quite clear Deslauriers can't cut it. I mean, I would think a future #1 goaltending for an organization would have stepped up given this opportunity. I pretty much have no confidence in him based on the goals he's allowed this year. But should I be surprised?

I mean, his pro stats are all over the board. He hasn't even shown consistency at that level.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62260

Maybe the Oilers burned a pick next draft to get a goalie. Hopefully in typical Oilers fashion ( la Devan Dubnyk) it won't be their first pick in the 1st round.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:07 AM
jlockhart89

Biron, Hamonic, 2nd

Gilbert, Pisani

To much? To little?

Usually I don't make trade proposals...there's probably a reason why

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Mr Sakich

if the oilers trade for a goalie, I would rather they go after Harding. He is having a poor year and wouldn't cost much.

Another Wild player really struggling is Brent Burns. He has 10 points and is -11. Two more years left at 3.5 mill. Probably wouldn't cost the world either.

Souray plus ?? for those two might work for us.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Biron for Grebs and a 3rd or straight up for Staios

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

dont get these offers where the oilers are offering anything good.

Oilers are screwed this year--I know that--you know that--hellen keller knows it

why you the oilers go out and pick up a rental player and give something good for him? that would be subtraction by addition

given anything of value for Biron is silly

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:35 AM
gqmixmaster

biron for horcoff thats about the only thing that might make it somewhat worthwhile at this point

gqmixmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
noice
The Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
if the oilers trade for a goalie, I would rather they go after Harding. He is having a poor year and wouldn't cost much.
agreed

do the isles have a 1st available next year?

noice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedokie21 View Post
Theres talk on the Islanders board about Biron going to Edmonton. Our team is in dire needs of young defensive help. I really dont know alot about edmonton prospects but we'd be looking for defensive help. how much would we have to add to get a guy like petry or plante away. they are two solid two-way defensive with size we could use as our def prospects we have are mainly offensive and tiny.

the word is a deal is close for Biron and I'm just trying to get a feel what you guys think it might be for.
Plante is not even nhl ready, and even if he was we would give 2 of our top 3 defensive prospects up for a rental when we are in last place. The reality is that the oilers may be looking for a decent goalie, but that is only so we can be able to send down Dubnyk. Not because we are concerned with winning games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
This is interesting (sorry if I'm changing the subject) because I am wondering what the Oilers will do about their goaltending in the offseason. It would seem to me that this is a position they have neglected over the past couple years.

It's quite clear Deslauriers can't cut it. I mean, I would think a future #1 goaltending for an organization would have stepped up given this opportunity. I pretty much have no confidence in him based on the goals he's allowed this year. But should I be surprised?

I mean, his pro stats are all over the board. He hasn't even shown consistency at that level.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62260

Maybe the Oilers burned a pick next draft to get a goalie. Hopefully in typical Oilers fashion ( la Devan Dubnyk) it won't be their first pick in the 1st round.
Are you thinking maybe trading up with our second and taking jack campbell? Guy looks like a star.

Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 01-09-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
alexo

I thought the Oilers should have signed Biron years ago when he was available to, and we went for Roli instead. Nothing against Roli, since he ended up playing well for us, but it would have been nice to have a young goaltender who had a future ahead of him. We made the same decision again this year, giving big money to the "sure bet" (sure vet?). I'd take Biron over Khabibulin at this point. Unless Khabibulin is gone in some way, I don't see how picking up Biron would make sense.

If we're talking about picking up Biron for the remainder of the year to help carry the load (which I don't think is a bad idea, because Springfield needs Dubnyk back), then as others have said, trading our future prospect d-men for a rental goaltender in a market where goaltenders are low value doesn't make sense.

Now if we're talking about changing the deal a bit, adding more to NYI side (Biron + Pick for prospect d-man) that is better.

The Oilers really need future help as well too.... nothing that is sent our way is going to help this year out. So a rental player (Biron) won't make sense other than making the season less painful to watch. But yah, a bigger deal than just Biron for (Defensive prospect) could work.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Are you thinking maybe trading up with our second and taking jack campbell? Guy looks like a star.
Honestly, I know squat about prospect goaltenders. The goalies the Oilers have don't seem to be much.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
alexo

Jack Campbell basically played 2 and 2/3s games at the WJHC and everyone is talking as though he is a superstar goaltender. This is how we got shafted with horc @ 5.5, Nilsson @ 2m (although its looking better so far), Pisani at 2.5m, Moreau at 2m, Staios at 2.7, Grebs at 3.7(?) and Gilbert at 4....

It's possible he'll be good, but I hope people aren't overrating the guy either based on a few good games played. One was against Switzerland. We did see him a game and 2/3s against Canada though. I did like that he hung in there pretty well, all things considered... but it's a bit crazy to rate him solely based on that, and I think a lot of people are.

Old
01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
Jack Campbell basically played 2 and 2/3s games at the WJHC and everyone is talking as though he is a superstar goaltender. This is how we got shafted with horc @ 5.5, Nilsson @ 2m (although its looking better so far), Pisani at 2.5m, Moreau at 2m, Staios at 2.7, Grebs at 3.7(?) and Gilbert at 4....

It's possible he'll be good, but I hope people aren't overrating the guy either based on a few good games played. One was against Switzerland. We did see him a game and 2/3s against Canada though. I did like that he hung in there pretty well, all things considered... but it's a bit crazy to rate him solely based on that, and I think a lot of people are.
Actually he was talked abot being a first rounder before the WJC started. He is the consensus best goalie in the draft and played pretty damn well in most his games. Either way, he's the guy we want.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Actually he was talked abot being a first rounder before the WJC started. He is the consensus best goalie in the draft and played pretty damn well in most his games. Either way, he's the guy we want.

OK, I stand corrected if that's the case. I have no access to USHL hockey, so I can't see him first hand (and I doubt many here can, although in most cases we just take the word of scouts anyways and build hype from there). I hadn't really heard much at all before on him. Actually I hadn't heard much at all on any goaltenders previous to the tournament. Any idea what he was ranked by CSS previous to the WJHC? (of all players available, not just goaltenders)

I know he's the top USHL goaltender, but I haven't been able to find how he compares to other players.