HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza?

Old
01-08-2010, 06:29 AM
dccuse

vCash: 500
Spezza?

Sens are 1 pt ahead in standings. Spezza is out another 6-8 weeks. Figure by the time he gets back theyre either out of the race or in it enough where they decide Spezza is expendable. If they do, he could be perfect center for gaborik and probably attainable.

He's getting around 7 a year, which is a lot for a player who needs a goalscorer... but we have a goal scorer and he could be equally as effective with gaborik.

So here's the thought, and read it through.

Rozsival
Higgins
Sanguinetti/Sauer

Spezza

Why?

Well Volchenkov is free in the off season and will likely get big bucks elsewhere. Yes Rozi's contract is cap hit heavy but its front loaded and his actual pay is less on the back end, allowing a likely rebuilding sens to come closer to the cap floor while paying less and retaining a slightly mobile, veteran defenseman.

Higgins is also free and if wanted, could be retained for several years for a decent price given his low production year.

Sanguinetti/Sauer is a nice young piece.

Spezza gives us the #1 playmaking center we could truly use to bolster gabby's scoring ability. Over last four years with heatley - spezza averaged nearly 86 pts per year despite playing only 73 games a year (although given his current injury he's clearly injury prone) - AND... Ottawa gets rid of him.

Spezza's hit is 7 mill a year for five more years but... because he's backloaded (8,8,8,5,4) he also becomes more tradable over time assuming his play doesnt drop off.

This is of course contingent on Kovalchuk not being obtainable. However, i think rather than mortgaging the farm for Kovalchuk, Spezza and his contract (lower than what kovy will get) might be ripe for the snatchin.

Prospal Spezza Gaborik
Callahan Dubinsky Kotalik (this is a combo i'd love to try out)
Avery Anisimov Drury
Brashear Boyle Lisin

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:44 AM
The Perfect Paradox

Doubt Spezza gets traded, regardless of Ottawa's position in the standings. They were in the lower part of the conference for all of last season, and never moved him. Besides, it would take a massive overpayment to acquire Spezza. They would want prospects like Stepan, Anisismov and Grachev in the package and the Rangers can't afford to give up picks like those right now.

Wait for Kovalchuk on July 1st, or go get him through a trade and lock him up.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:52 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Correct me if i'm wrong but Spezza's out-time was originally 6-8 weeks and it's been a few weeks since than so isin't he more or less a month away from being back?

PS - I see absolutely no chance of spezza getting traded

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 06:57 AM
The Thomas J.*

It always seems like Spezza is being critized for not being the impact player everyone thought he would become....I haven't seen enough of him in his career to say if that is true or not. The numbers seem good, but Sens fans are always running some one outta town on a rail, so what do I know.

I don't hate the idea of trading for him, but I don't love it either. If it was possible & I don't think it is right now, Spezza would be our last resort kind of like Lindros was when we lost out on Jagr in 01'.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Doubt Spezza gets traded, regardless of Ottawa's position in the standings. They were in the lower part of the conference for all of last season, and never moved him. Besides, it would take a massive overpayment to acquire Spezza. They would want prospects like Stepan, Anisismov and Grachev in the package and the Rangers can't afford to give up picks like those right now.

Wait for Kovalchuk on July 1st, or go get him through a trade and lock him up.
None of those prospect project to become a top center/franchise player like Spezza so I would deal one of them for a player like him.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:55 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Do you really think they'll give us Spezza for [expensive] trash, a rental player and a B-rated prospect (Sanguinetti)? At least one of Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, Kreider, or McDonough would have to be added, and they would probably demand at least a 1st round pick. Not realistic at all and I would not want to part with any of them.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 07:56 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Sens are 1 pt ahead in standings. Spezza is out another 6-8 weeks. Figure by the time he gets back theyre either out of the race or in it enough where they decide Spezza is expendable. If they do, he could be perfect center for gaborik and probably attainable.
In it enough to decide their #1 C is expendable? How does that thought process work?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:00 AM
beastly115

Quote:

He's getting around 7 a year, which is a lot for a player who needs a goalscorer... but we have a goal scorer and he could be equally as effective with gaborik.

Rozsival
Higgins
Sanguinetti/Sauer

Spezza

Why?

Well Volchenkov is free in the off season and will likely get big bucks elsewhere. Yes Rozi's contract is cap hit heavy but its front loaded and his actual pay is less on the back end, allowing a likely rebuilding sens to come closer to the cap floor while paying less and retaining a slightly mobile, veteran defenseman.

Higgins is also free and if wanted, could be retained for several years for a decent price given his low production year.

Spezza gives us the #1 playmaking center we could truly use to bolster gabby's scoring ability. Over last four years with heatley - spezza averaged nearly 86 pts per year despite playing only 73 games a year (although given his current injury he's clearly injury prone) - AND... Ottawa gets rid of him.

Spezza's hit is 7 mill a year for five more years but... because he's backloaded (8,8,8,5,4) he also becomes more tradable over time assuming his play doesnt drop off.

This is of course contingent on Kovalchuk not being obtainable. However, i think rather than mortgaging the farm for Kovalchuk, Spezza and his contract (lower than what kovy will get) might be ripe for the snatchin.

Prospal Spezza Gaborik
Avery Anisimov Drury
Brashear Boyle Lisin
Great proposal, go post that on the trade board!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:06 AM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Do you really think they'll give us Spezza for [expensive] trash, a rental player and a B-rated prospect (Sanguinetti)? At least one of Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, Kreider, or McDonough would have to be added, and they would probably demand at least a 1st round pick. Not realistic at all and I would not want to part with any of them.
yes.

ottawa needs to rebuild. Alfredsson is nearing end of his deal and time as a first liner, theyll lose volchenkov, theyve got a young goalie coming up and a couple of young pieces in the whl/ahl. Spezzas contract is an albatross and if they clear it and can bring in some value in return i think they jump.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:07 AM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
In it enough to decide their #1 C is expendable? How does that thought process work?
well i dont think anyone, ottawa brass included thinks that the sens are competing for a cup this year. So... if they can make the PO's without him, then no sense paying him his ridiculous contract if his presence is not gonna put them over the top.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
yes.

ottawa needs to rebuild. Alfredsson is nearing end of his deal and time as a first liner, theyll lose volchenkov, theyve got a young goalie coming up and a couple of young pieces in the whl/ahl. Spezzas contract is an albatross and if they clear it and can bring in some value in return i think they jump.
If Spezza goes on the block, there will be plenty of teams interested. I'm sure there will be someone that offers a much better package than us.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:20 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Maybe just to you he's a B-rated prospect, but in reality, he's still an A-rated prospect.

Odd is the occassion where a MDZ or a Staal make their teams as quickly as they did. More often than not it takes defenceman especially, 2-3 years before they can step in and do those things on the NHL level that they were doing in Juniors or on the AHL levels.

Sangs is having a great season for Hartford and, more than likely, will make the Pro roster out of camp next year.

He's got the skill no question, he's a big kid and his overall game is coming along very nicely.

Don't sleep on this kid.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
None of those prospect project to become a top center/franchise player like Spezza so I would deal one of them for a player like him.
Agreed, I'd also move one of our best prospects for a player like Spezza. But I highly doubt Ottawa would want to trade him unless we sell the farm.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Rozsival
Higgins
Sanguinetti/Sauer

Spezza

Why?

Prospal Spezza Gaborik
Avery Anisimov Drury
Brashear Boyle Lisin
The Sens didn't want Rozsival this past summer for Heatley. So why would they want him now? You're offering Higgins, a FA. And a prospect. That's not going to get it done.

01-08-2010, 08:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
yes.

You're not really helping with the rebuilding with your offer.

Higgins is the same age as Spezza.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Roszival/Higgins/+ is really the go to package this season, eh?

Like Prucha/Kalinen/+ from last season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:31 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
yes.

No i don't think ottawa does need to rebuild there doign a mini rebuold right now.If ottawa does put spezza on the block there will be alot of teams interested.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
well i dont think anyone, ottawa brass included thinks that the sens are competing for a cup this year. So... if they can make the PO's without him, then no sense paying him his ridiculous contract if his presence is not gonna put them over the top.
If he gets traded, it's far more likely to happen in the offseason than at the deadline. And even then I seriously doubt they will trade him. Let's looks at the facts:

26 years old
153 goals and 284 assists for 437 points in 434 career games.
6'3" 213 lbs
Plays center
Was 2nd overall pick in 2001

Even if Ottowa was rebuilding, why would they trade him? Don't you think he'd be a pretty good player to build around?

And assuming they did want to trade him for some reason, do you really think an overpaid, past his prime 2nd pair dman, an underachieving, soon to be UFA and a non-blue chip dman prospect will be enough to get him?

This thread should be merged with the pipe dream thread.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
That wouldn't be enough to aquire Spezz imo. He's having an off-year. I don't buy into the he needs Heatley or he sucks talk.

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
yes.

How exactly are they rebuilding with one prospect, trash, and a rental? That sounds like a Rangers rebuilding effort

Old
01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
mm11

Quote:

Rozsival
Higgins
Sanguinetti/Sauer

Spezza

Why?

Prospal Spezza Gaborik
Avery Anisimov Drury
Brashear Boyle Lisin

man I would think Otts and Spezza could command alot better than the spare parts

such as Higgins, Sauer and Rozy......eeeesch.

Rozy with the salary is a liability ,Higgins is a servicable 3rd /4th line NHler and Sauer whom maps out as a top six one day hopefully for a bonafide still young (same age as Kovalchuk) #1 center whom clocks in as a legit top 10 point scoring machine at the NHL level.

hugs steal for the blueshirts if Otts bites. Everyone is guilty at some point of overhyping young prospects and to think Sauer or Sangs are integral parts to land a Spezza quality

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:25 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Maybe just to you he's a B-rated prospect, but in reality, he's still an A-rated prospect.

Odd is the occassion where a MDZ or a Staal make their teams as quickly as they did. More often than not it takes defenceman especially, 2-3 years before they can step in and do those things on the NHL level that they were doing in Juniors or on the AHL levels.

Sangs is having a great season for Hartford and, more than likely, will make the Pro roster out of camp next year.

He's got the skill no question, he's a big kid and his overall game is coming along very nicely.

Don't sleep on this kid.
Don't get me wrong, I think the kid is an NHLer for sure and I agree he is very skilled. However, to me, an A-level prospect is a prospect who is going to be an absolute star in the NHL, at the very least a 1st line/defensive pair player in the NHL. As of now I don't see that in Sangs. I see him as more of a solid, second pair defenseman (especially with already having Staal, Del Zotto, and McDonough who, imo, all have higher ceilings than Sangs).

Old
01-08-2010, 02:29 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'd love to have Spezza centering Gaborik. Would give us a more legitimate 1st line, and allow us to drop Dubinsky to the 2nd line, maybe even play with Anisimov and maybe Grachev on that line next season (talk about size).

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
segmentation fault

I would prepare to give up guys like Callahan and Anisimov. Maybe throw in Higgins just for a salary dump, but a prospect could work better. Add a pick as well.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Why why why would we want to trade for another overpaid, underachieving player??? We sign plenty of those in the off-season.... And a Center at that when we are already log-jammed at Center for the next 2 years with Drury/Dubinsky/Anisimov/and soon to be Stepan all competing for top 3 line spots....

Spezza's got 5 goals in 30 games this season..... For a team that lacks scoring depth, he is NOT the answer....

This would be the type of trade that would continue to get us ridiculed by fans around the league.

If you can work up a trade that lands us a physical, top pairing defenseman who actually earns his paycheck, SIGN ME UP.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-08-2010 at 05:04 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote