HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline Deals - All Trade Proposals and Inquires

Old
02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So how long before Dumont is jettisoned to another club. Lines from todays practice via Glennon.

Sullivan-Arnott-Hornqvist

Smithson-Legwand-Ward

Tootoo-Goc-Erat

Jones-O’Reilly-Dumont
I like these lines better than what we ran with last night. Without Hornqvist on the top line it was too easy to defend. Last night, Phoenix stood up at the blueline all night long whenever they had support from backchecking forwards. In turn, it forced us to dump the puck in to gain the zone and then try to retrieve it. With Erat and Sullivan on the wings, a dump-in was as good as a turnover all night long...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:53 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I like these lines better than what we ran with last night. Without Hornqvist on the top line it was too easy to defend. Last night, Phoenix stood up at the blueline all night long whenever they had support from backchecking forwards. In turn, it forced us to dump the puck in to gain the zone and then try to retrieve it. With Erat and Sullivan on the wings, a dump-in was as good as a turnover all night long...
I really don't like that Sullivan-Arnott-Hornqvist line for two reasons (both of them related to Sullivan).

First, Sullivan's speed tends to get him too deep into the zone before Arnott and Hornqvist can get to their best positions (high slot and in front of the crease respectively). Those one or two seconds allows the defense to coral Sully and force the puck loose.

Secondly, Arnott and Hornqvist are their most effective when playing a puck possession game- that's not suited for Sully.

Instead of Sullivan on that line, I'd shift Dumont to that line. That puts three players on the same line that play at the same speed and style while also giving two of our best goal scorers the best setup man on the team (when not in a funk).

I'd shift Sullivan to a line with Goc and Erat. Here you have three good playermakers, all with good speed, all very crafty, and all can score goals.

Then, I'd call up Wilson and put him on a line with Legwand and Ward. You might even consider swapping Wilson and Legwand around at center on the line just for a tweak on occasion.

Finally, I'd ice a fourth line of Smithson, Spaling and Tootoo. Let Smithson and Spaling focus on providing energy (along with Tootoo) and killing penalties.

Summarizing:

Dumont-Arnott-Hornqvist
Wilson-Legwand-Ward
Sullivan-Goc-Erat
Smithson-Spaling-Tootoo

Oh, one more thing. I'm not too concerned about the need to add scoring to this team via a trade- unless the real problems just can't be addressed.

If this team can't fix their penalty kill units and power play units, nothing short of adding Kovulchuk (or the like) and hoping to outscore everyone will see this team advance beyond the first round (which would be a successful season to me).

Right now, I'm not convinced our issues in those areas are personnel issues. In fact, I'm mostly convinced they're not.

Consider:

Hamhuis and Klein have played pretty well when not paired. Therefore the staff has logically kept them paired for the majority of the season to horrible results at both even strength and short handed situations.

Our penalty kill units have seen significant drops the past two seasons from their normal effectiveness. To make it worse, we consistently trot out the Wonder Twins on the blueline on our first unit.

Only one thing that needs to be said regarding the powerplay: Steve Sullivan on the point. Can't say it any better than that.

If we don't fix those issues, it doesn't matter who is brought in.

Last edited by David Singleton: 02-04-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: One more thing....
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Sabreality

could Dumont be had for Stafford?

Preds get an affordably signed RW for next year with upside?

Sabres get back a well liked vet F with scoring ability?

would Buffalo have to add a pick? or does the $6m in savings/cap space for Nashville even it out?

Last edited by Sabreality: 02-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:32 AM
glenngineer

I agree for the most part with Singleton here except I would do my lines completely differently but I'll get to that in a minute. If you noticed the other night, the PK pairings were completely different. Granted, you can't tell much when they're only out there one time but Suter/Hamhuis and Weber/Bouillon were used the other night with Klein not getting any short handed time if I'm not mistaken. If that's what we roll with, I'm fine with it and we can tweak it by using Klein instead of Weber but I've always thought Weber needed more time on the PK as he can effectively clear the front of the net better than anyone we have because of his sheer strength. OK, on to the lines.

I would go back to the experiment of last year of Arnott centering Legwand and Erat. It made Legwand an effective offensive player and also helped Arnott's game. I thought about this last night and why it worked. One big thing is the open space Legwand and Erat create with their speed. Also, both of them are hard to get off the puck, especially Erat. This in turn allows Arnott to find the open space, which he is good at, and get that great shot of his off. It also allows Legwand to look for his shot more as well. I don't know why it worked but it did. So, if that's the case, these are the lines I would roll with.

Arnott/Legwand/Erat
Sully/Goc/Dumont
Hornqvist/Wilson/Ward
Smithson/Tootoo/Spalling

This leaves out O'Reilly and Jones but I think that gives us the deepest 9 we can go with and still have defensive responsibility on all three lines of the top lines, while still having offensive threats on them as well. It also gives us a great energy line with the 4 line and still has all our main penalty killers out there.

If we didn't decide to bring Wilson up, I would insert O'Reilly onto the second line with Sully and Dumont and move Goc to go between Hornqvist and Ward. The same could be said for Jones and insert him on the fourth line to play with Smithson and Tootoo.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
could Dumont be had for Stafford?

Preds get an affordably signed RW for next year with upside?

Sabres get back a well liked vet F with scoring ability?

would Buffalo have to add a pick?
Yes they would have to add something, but one problem is Dumont has a NTC. Poile isn't the type of person to ask someone to waive it, either. He's too loyal (which can be both a good and bad trait).

Value-wise though, Buffalo would have to add a major piece IMO. Stafford is in his 4th year, and should be breaking out this year, but it appears he has not. Will he ever? Not sure if we want to give up Dumont to find out.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I just have a feeling this offseason Poile is going to make a move to push 2/3rds of the SAD line. It would be a move to free up money, obtain picks, and create a new 1st scoring line. In my mind Wilson is one piece and if Poni is picked up he could be a possible second piece of the line.

And I agree with everyone that Dumont is a lifer with the Preds. He seems to love the community and he is vocal with the team.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
glenngineer

To Preds: Kovy

To ATL: Erat, Hamhuis + 1st round pick

Old
02-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
To Preds: Kovy

To ATL: Erat, Hamhuis + 1st round pick
not happening ... we've already been burned by one flight risk

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
.Poile isn't the type of person to ask someone to waive it, either. He's too loyal (which can be both a good and bad trait).
Why do you think Poile wouldn't ask if someone would waive their clause? I don't think he'd do it normally but, if a deal came up, I think he'd ask.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:14 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Seems like Kovy is now completely out of the picture. Oh well.
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Seems like Kovy is now completely out of the picture. Oh well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kovalchuk was never in our picture, I hate to break it to you.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:48 AM
volzok

So with Kovy now out and the Preds seeming not even calling, where do we go from here? I'm really wondering if Poile is even a small player on deadline day. It seems that Ray Whitney is now the biggest "gun" out there now and I don't think he's in the Pred picture either. Does going after a Matt Cullen or a Joe Corvo really help this club? Kind of seems like making a move just to make a move. Disagree?

volzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:57 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by volzok View Post
So with Kovy now out and the Preds seeming not even calling, where do we go from here? I'm really wondering if Poile is even a small player on deadline day. It seems that Ray Whitney is now the biggest "gun" out there now and I don't think he's in the Pred picture either. Does going after a Matt Cullen or a Joe Corvo really help this club? Kind of seems like making a move just to make a move. Disagree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Atlanta wanted Erat, Blum and a 1st rounder is what I heard so I guess we were at least at the table.

Old
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by volzok View Post
Whitney holds all the cards there with his NTC and has expressed that he wants to return next season to Carolina...so at best he is a pure rental looking to go to a contender. I don't think we'd get very high on his list...

Matt Cullen is a guy I've been watching a lot of and thinking about. Not having the greatest year statistically, but neither is the whole Hurricanes roster...Cullen is a speedy two-way centerman that is very effective on the point on the power play. Could definitely be a possibility...

Corvo is not back to full strength yet after getting his Achilles tendon sliced with a skate a few months back and looked very rusty and winded two nights ago up in Calgary. Even at full strength, while he plays big minutes and is an effective PP producer...he is a high-risk offensive minded defenseman and I just don't think that is the mold we are looking for...

Old
02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
volzok

I guess Cullen would fit here. Would Poile give up a late round draft pick for him? I just don't know. I really would be interested to see what kind of line changes would come with a Cullen trade.

volzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:28 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Brendan Witt is on the way out in New York and while he takes stupid penalties, he could be a veteran 3rd pairing defenseman that allows us to move Hamhuis, and put Franson/Boullion up with Klein. The only problem is he is rather expensive and has another year left on his contract.

As for forwards, I don't think I would give up any great assets barring another huge rash of injuries. We had a few games where we didnt score but for the most part this season scoring hasnt been a problem. I would think about a low pick for some veteran depth but that is the absolute most I would do.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Brendan Witt is on the way out in New York and while he takes stupid penalties, he could be a veteran 3rd pairing defenseman that allows us to move Hamhuis, and put Franson/Boullion up with Klein. The only problem is he is rather expensive and has another year left on his contract.

As for forwards, I don't think I would give up any great assets barring another huge rash of injuries. We had a few games where we didnt score but for the most part this season scoring hasnt been a problem. I would think about a low pick for some veteran depth but that is the absolute most I would do.
I don't see anyone paying 3 mil for Witt. We could sign Hamhius back for that.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

This team has been spending most of the year AVOIDING penalties. They will not try the Witt experiment again, it's counter to what they have been doing this season

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Witt is the only man in the NHL that would come out of a fight with a pair of safety scissors bloodied. He's not an option for us. I still can't believe we traded a first round pick for that guy.

If we wanted a player that plays that style, though, Nick Boynton is on re-entry waivers for about $480k.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 02-05-2010 at 03:27 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Seth Lake

Since this belongs better in here than in the Tootoo thread:

Jason Arnott, J.P. Dumont, Steve Sullivan and Martin Erat all have No Movement Clauses (NMC) in their contract and David Legwand has a full No-Trade Clause (NTC) in his deal as well...

Old
02-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

I think this team needs a RWer on the PP to be deflecting shots from the point. Keeping it really simple here:

To NAS:

RW Mark Recchi
Boston's 2010 2nd

To BOS:

D Jonathon Blum

Just Recchi for 1 million for the rest of the year. He has been great in Boston on the PP and has 12 this year. Not a big expensive move, but one that helps the Nashville PP and doesn't cost anyone on the roster...

Thoughts?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I think this team needs a RWer on the PP to be deflecting shots from the point. Keeping it really simple here:

To NAS:

RW Mark Recchi
Boston's 2010 2nd

To BOS:

D Jonathon Blum

Just Recchi for 1 million for the rest of the year. He has been great in Boston on the PP and has 12 this year. Not a big expensive move, but one that helps the Nashville PP and doesn't cost anyone on the roster...

Thoughts?
I'm very much against trading Blum, but Recchi might be a nice fit.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:28 PM
thejlb*

I dunno Blum seems to me like he will flourish in our system. To me the deal sounds ok, but thats only cause you mentioned our PP and him helping in the same sentence.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post

To NAS:

RW Mark Recchi
Boston's 2010 2nd

To BOS:

D Jonathon Blum

Thoughts?
Seems pretty terrible to me. Maybe Recchi for a 4th. I haven't followed what Blum has done this year, but he should have a lot of value.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote