HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk Trade Talks Underway

Old
01-10-2010, 10:04 AM
L-train*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
to ATL: Giroux, JVR, and a 1st round pick
to PHI: ilya Kovalchuk

worth it?
Massive overpayment from Philly.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
sparxx87

Quote:

worth it?
Giroux AND JVR AND a 1st?
Don Waddell says thank you for the late Christmas present...
And for saving him many sleepless nights, from now, until trade dealine...lol
And Philly would have to include come salary, because Giroux and JVR are still on entry levels...

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
NJDEVIL

Chicago is probably most likely suitor and the situation itself is amazing, chicago has a real opportunity to fix cap issues and win a cup at the same time lol Very interesting, anyone else in the playoff hunt contending for him could mess things up for the team. Other than chicago, all others should wait until June/July, Kovie is not returning.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
ArVeeDee

Quote:

worth it?
I'd make the trip down to Atlanta and drive Kovalchuk to the airport if we could get that kind of return.'

and didn't Philly trade their first for Pronger?

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:21 AM
pman25

Yeah, philly doesn't have a first or a second, this yearso Atlanta probably wouldn't get any picks from Philly. Philly also doesn't really have any good prospects, unless you count jvr.

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Kovalchuk to Chicago this year as a rental makes ALOT of sense. They're going for the cup this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd count Pittsburgh out.
These are both 100% accurate statements.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Seemingly, a lot of HF posters cannot accept the idea of giving up assets for a short-term add-on; a majority of NHL GMs (read: executives paid to win) do.

Yes - because though the player may be a rental - the Stanley Cup is not a rental. If you win it, that year's cup victory is yours forever.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I would be surprised if the Flyers got Kovalchuk without giving up Carter.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:59 AM
jdpitt05

Whens the last time a team made a huge deadline deal giving up a bunch of assets for a rental elite player and followed through and won the cup?

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:08 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Flyers would be wise to not keep dumping assets. Kovalchuk would be great, but the Flyers don't have the cap space to resign him. I think LA is probably in the best position to nab Ilya since they have the space and a plentiful cabinet of prospects/picks.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Randolph42

According to the Ottawa Sun, "The Washington Capitals are rumored to have the most interest in Thrashers forward Ilya Kovalchuk if he hits the trade block as they have the ability to trade for him as a rental because of available cap space and plenty of draft picks and prospects."

Being a huge Caps fan I think that if you can make this move without losing the core of Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin, Green and Fleischmann, Id' give it some thought.

After the Caps destroyed the Thrashers last night, maybe they would want the goalie who beat them included in a deal? Neuvirth was rumored to be on his way out a few weeks ago and he would be a great piece in a trade for Kovalchuk.

If you add up the salary on NHLnumbers.com, the team salary without Nylander is just under 50 million, giving them around 6.5 million in free cap space. What do you think it would take for the Caps to land him?

Washington Gets: Kovalchuk

Atlanta Gets: Neuvirth, Osala, Perreault and 1st & 2nd Round picks.

This way, Atlanta gets an actual good goalie, as well as more prospects to stock he cupboards with. They also get more draft picks which never hurt.

From what I've seen proposed from Chicago, this offer isn't even close to being as good, but I'm trying to keep the core as well as add Kovalchuk. I'm also taking into account what the Thrashers got for Hossa, which is comparable to my offer.

I understand that if the Caps have any hope for re-signing Kovalchuk they're going to have to move Semin, but that can be done after the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Randolph42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:19 AM
dashtary*

From Spectors Hockey:

Quote:
The Washington Capitals are rumored to have the most interest in Thrashers forward Ilya Kovalchuk if he hits the trade block as they have the ability to trade for him as a rental because of available cap space and plenty of draft picks and prospects.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:35 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph42 View Post

This way, Atlanta gets an actual good goalie, as well as more prospects to stock he cupboards with. They also get more draft picks which never hurt.

From what I've seen proposed from Chicago, this offer isn't even close to being as good, but I'm trying to keep the core as well as add Kovalchuk. I'm also taking into account what the Thrashers got for Hossa, which is comparable to my offer.
The Thrashers got two NHL roster forwards, a 1st rounder drafted the year before, and another 1st rounder.

This offer is not even close to the Hossa offer.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
The Thrashers got two NHL roster forwards, a 1st rounder drafted the year before, and another 1st rounder.

I beg to differ lol .

3 top prospects. Two forwards with top 6 potential, goalie who will definitely be a starter somewhere unless he stays. Another top prospect with the 1st and 2nd. That trade would be tough to swallow from a Washington perspective.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Jray42
Win it for Kimmo

vCash: 50
Quote:
According to the Ottawa Sun, "The Washington Capitals are rumored to have the most interest in Thrashers forward Ilya Kovalchuk if he hits the trade block as they have the ability to trade for him as a rental because of available cap space and plenty of draft picks and prospects."

Being a huge Caps fan I think that if you can make this move without losing the core of Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin, Green and Fleischmann, Id' give it some thought.

After the Caps destroyed the Thrashers last night, maybe they would want the goalie who beat them included in a deal? Neuvirth was rumored to be on his way out a few weeks ago and he would be a great piece in a trade for Kovalchuk.

If you add up the salary on NHLnumbers.com, the team salary without Nylander is just under 50 million, giving them around 6.5 million in free cap space. What do you think it would take for the Caps to land him?

I understand that if the Caps have any hope for re-signing Kovalchuk they're going to have to move Semin, but that can be done after the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

Thoughts?
So...because the Caps want to keep who they want, we should turn down better offers?

Plus...If anyone in the same division wants a top-10 player in the league and the rights to agree on a long-term contract, it'll cost more than that offer.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Emerald Duck

Quote:

... and Pittsburgh got screwed when Hossa bailed for Detroit. I don't even think the KHL was a realistic option for Hossa.

I think GMs and good organizations try to learn from other's mistakes. A team like Chicago may have some self-serving motives for unloading talent or salaries now as opposed to the offseason. Washington might make a push with a rental (are they really going to sign Kovalchuk for more money than Ovechkin ?), but fans can be really critical if the plan bombs. LA has talent and cap space to sign Kovalchuk, but the organization seems pretty tight with their money and prefers young talent for their 40 year rebuilding program.

If Atlanta wants a boatload of talent coming back, then Kovalchuk can't be a rental. Besides, look how well Hossa did for Pittsburgh and Detroit in securing a Cup

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Personally, I think if anything, the Caps would make the call, and maybe drive up the price, rather than really try to be in on it.

The more a team has to give up to get Kovalchuk, the fewer the bidders, and the potential damage to a playoff run.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I beg to differ lol .

3 top prospects. Two forwards with top 6 potential, goalie who will definitely be a starter somewhere unless he stays. Another top prospect with the 1st and 2nd. That trade would be tough to swallow from a Washington perspective.
So now 4th and 6th rounders from 2006 that average .5 PPG in the AHL as 22 year olds are top prospects? I did not think the Caps prospect depth was that weak. Perhaps you would want Spencer Machacek and Riley Holzapfel in return for Semin?

And drafting late in the 1st or 2nd rounds is no guarantee of a top prospect either.

Who knows how good Neuvirth is, I wager if Hedberg was starting for the Caps...and Neuvirth was starting for the Thrashers...the score is pretty much the same last night. With Pavelec and Lehtonen, the Thrashers will not make a goalie the centerpiece of the Kovy deal. The Thrashers defensive woes are not because of goaltending.

We would be trading our franchise player, inter-division. This trade is going to hurt the Caps if they make it(and please spare me, with Varmalov, losing Neuvirth is not going to hurt the Caps one bit)

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post
If Atlanta wants a boatload of talent coming back, then Kovalchuk can't be a rental. Besides, look how well Hossa did for Pittsburgh and Detroit in securing a Cup

^^^ this statement is false.

Hossa was key in both teams getting there. To some extent.

As far as the first part of the statement, they can get a boatload of talent coming back. But it might be prospects, picks or an assortment of assets instead of one or two key pieces.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
dashtary*

It would probably definitely have to include Fehr, Osala, 1st,+ to even keep Atlanta on the line. Even then the Thrashers would probably need more than that. Fehr, Osala, 1st, Shaone Morisson, Prospect, Prospect. Prospects would have to be top one's I'm guessing. So Neuvirth, Perrault, etc would probably all have to be in play so idk.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
How would Boston fans feel about a signed Kovy with Tor's 1st involved? And of course other pieces/salary going back, Ryder??
I'd do it. It's doubtful any player the Bruins draft will be as good as Kovalchuk, and getting Ryder of the team would be a miracle.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

honestly, unless the Caps are willing to deal a premium chip (Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov) or a good roster player (Fleischmann/Laich) and then some other pieces, probably including a pick or two, then Atlanta would go elsewhere .

Kovalchuk is not going to move for Perreault Osala and some change. They just don't have that much value as a prospect. Especially when the Caps have an embarrassment of better riches. The burden of having depth and value goes both ways. Teams aren't stupid, and they realize the Caps have something to give up, so they would be stupid to not at least push for it.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Predatials

Quote:
So now 4th and 6th rounders from 2006 that average .5 PPG in the AHL as 22 year olds are top prospects? I did not think the Caps prospect depth was that weak. Perhaps you would want Spencer Machacek and Riley Holzapfel in return for Semin?

And drafting late in the 1st or 2nd rounds is no guarantee of a top prospect either.

Who knows how good Neuvirth is, I wager if Hedberg was starting for the Caps...and Neuvirth was starting for the Thrashers...the score is pretty much the same last night. With Pavelec and Lehtonen, the Thrashers will not make a goalie the centerpiece of the Kovy deal. The Thrashers defensive woes are not because of goaltending.

We would be trading our franchise player, inter-division. This trade is going to hurt the Caps if they make it(and please spare me, with Varmalov, losing Neuvirth is not going to hurt the Caps one bit)

The difference is Semin is under contract for atleast anoter season so there is no immediate fear of him walking away for nothing at the end of the season.

And which is it? Is Neuivy a decent prospect or not. Not saying the Caps would have put up an 8 spot on him but youd also have to agree that defense isnt on of the Caps specialty and this kids has been absolutly stellar in his last handfull of starts. Varley better hope he can get back in net soon or he might be playing back up to him. Some scouts have said that they believe Neuivy and Holtby to be the better Prospects in the long run anyway. Besided the fact that Varly at this yong age seems to be getting injured more often that I would like.

I dont even want Kovy unless he could be traded for Hershey depth guys and Wadell will surley get better offers than that so looks like we can both agree Kovy wont be a Cap. But that being said GMGM always amazes.

Last edited by Predatials: 01-10-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Predatials is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
How would Boston fans feel about a signed Kovy with Tor's 1st involved? And of course other pieces/salary going back, Ryder??
If Toronto's 1st is being moved, salary would have to go as well to ensure the Bruins could sign him as well.

As and aside: WHY THE HELL would Chicago change anything about their team right now? Chemistry is great. Everyone is contributing, and players can be traded at the draft for picks! I wouldn't make a single move in Chicago. Taking away 2-3 players suggested takes away from the best aspect of Chicago's game right now: depth.

For once I agree that in Chicago's case the best move is no move at all. Reap the benefits of a Cup run then a sale of players at the draft who have the experience and youth.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote