HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "sellout" game @ Rexall

Old
01-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
The "sellout" game @ Rexall

Time to end this fable.

How are the Oilers defining "sell outs?" Is there some fineprint in the usual Laforge quotes we're supposed to know something about?

Theres routinely been tickets available online at ticketmaster at gametime on game nights. I know this because out of curiosity and to out this I've been regularly checking. Tickets have been available. For most recent games.

Laforge would maintain otherwise. Todays article is interesting:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...968/story.html

Quote:
Team president Patrick LaForge said every seat in Rexall Place, as well as 210 standing spots, are paid for, and none of them by the team itself.

"Not one," he said Friday, stressing the streak has always been legitimate. "We have no-shows. We admit that and we follow up with those people. We do get more in January. Thirty-five per cent of our clients drive for more than an hour to get to our games."
Again why is Laforge saying this?

Does he think we can't check this out?

I'm real interested in what Pat will maintain after the next Oiler game and for **** and giggles I'd love it if the press hammered him on it.

Ticketmaster has offered up a new feature for Oiler games where you can see how many, and where, the tickets for sale are and select which ones you want.

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/110...4&minorcatid=9

A far better service than before and offering the fans for the first time the online option of actually selecting the seats they prefer.

Of course the sidebar to this is full disclosure.

The next game Against Nashville has approx 560 unsold seats as of today. For a club that is 1W in the last 10 games and pathetic at home and playing one of the weakest draws, the Preds, in the NHL I think the tall tale about sellouts is in severe trouble.

Lately scalpers have been selling tickets for 20bucks. Expensive seats have been sold online for a case of beer. I think its safe to bet that there won't be 550 walk up patrons lining up for the chance to watch this dreck all paying more at the ticket window than from anybody in town giving the seats away..

Unless theres a masochists convention in town I don't know about.

So I await Tuesday with baited breath. For weird fun people could check out Ticketmaster pre game and see how sales have gone.

I can predict what will happen because its been happening before all the games recently.
The helpful "Interactive seat map" will not be operational for sometime before gametime (perhaps its too much disclosure) and will be replaced with the usual unhelpful "best tickets" option. People will still be able to see tickets available at every price range but just not how many.

Promises to be interesting.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-09-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:27 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 968
if all tickets are sold it is a sell out

if they are not sold--not a sell out

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
if all tickets are sold it is a sell out

if they are not sold--not a sell out
Well it seems simple enough.

but...

Laforge apparently has some other formula.

Call it the horseshoes formula. As in close enough counts.

But then in the quoted article he's actually black and white adamant "all seats are sold." Not sure why he'd do that. The only thing he "sold out" is his wiggle room.

Old
01-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Elim99

I agree I doubt that all single seat tickets have been sold for some weekday games.

BTW How do you tell the total tickets available? I can only see them by section. Unless you have to count them up.

Elim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Lounge Act*

It's unfortunate this is happening, but also it's about damn time. Toronto is having issues like this as well however it's still a technically a sellout.

Look at Ottawa, only one year removed from the playoffs and they draw barely 16,000 most nights. But then when I drove through Ottawa, Scotiabank Place was ridiculously far from the city. It would be akin to having our arena way out in Stony Plain.

I also have no doubt that if Vancouver and Calgary were in our situation they'd be lucky to draw over 14,000 on nights they don't play Canadian teams.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim99 View Post
I agree I doubt that all single seat tickets have been sold for some weekday games.

BTW How do you tell the total tickets available? I can only see them by section. Unless you have to count them up.
I'm a quick counter.

But yeah, kinda sad I'd take the time to do that on a Saturday night.

90 seats available in first bowl
344 seats in second bowl
126nosebleeds

560 seats available and not entirely clear if this is including standing room.

edit: It is including standing room.

Old
01-09-2010, 11:22 PM
alphahelix

How does TicketMaster work?

Do they buy the tickets from the Oilers and re-sell them to us? Maybe its ticketmaster that is losing money right now and not the Oilers? I honestly don't know, but I guess it might be one possible explanation?

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Section337

I am guessing that the deal with Molson's, for the half price tickets, has some guaranteed purchase component. Which technically makes it a sell-out. This has probably been happening for years, since I doubt they have enough people wanting single tickets every game to fill out space amongst the ticket pack seats.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:44 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
560 seats available including standing room.
So that's like what ... 3% of capacity . Sounds dire . But seriously , the surprise is that there are only 560 seats available - since you have already pointed out three good reasons for an attendance dip in your first post . Team is brutal , opposition is brutal and its January .

The Oilers sell tickets . Even when they suck they still sell tickets . If I lived in Edmonton right now I'd be buying up cheap tickets and going to every game I could . I don't see why so many posters are acting all jaded because the Oilers are losing again this season . I fully expected a losing season , and probably one more at least after this one . It will just make the winning that much sweeter .

And make no mistake , this is the Oilers ( not the whale or the Flames ) and we will win again . And the barn will be full and Katz will be rolling in money and everyone will want to get down to see the new arena .

And some folks will still be cranking out the negativity on the internet .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Krut

I thought I heard somewhere that unsold single tickets don't count against a sellout.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:52 PM
vb

Quote:
I'm a quick counter.

But yeah, kinda sad I'd take the time to do that on a Saturday night.

90 seats available in first bowl
344 seats in second bowl
126nosebleeds

560 seats available and not entirely clear if this is including standing room.

edit: It is including standing room.
The rink is still 97% sold out. I don't think it's a crisis yet.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I am guessing that the deal with Molson's, for the half price tickets, has some guaranteed purchase component. Which technically makes it a sell-out. This has probably been happening for years, since I doubt they have enough people wanting single tickets every game to fill out space amongst the ticket pack seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
I thought I heard somewhere that unsold single tickets don't count against a sellout.
Multiple seats have been available for sale in recent games at gametime.

So even by that definition its not a sellout.

Easiest way to check this out is obviously searching for 2 or 3 tickets on Tuesday at gametime.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
The rink is still 97% sold out. I don't think it's a crisis yet.
Well Thank You for that. Clearly what the thread is about...

Old
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
alphahelix

Quote:
Well Thank You for that. Clearly what the thread is about...
Do you know if I'm right about ticketmaster?

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Do you know if I'm right about ticketmaster?
Ticketmaster sells the tickets. They make money on service charges. They are not involved as a promoter or guarantor of the Oilers events.

Or any other NHL club as far as I am aware of.

Although the Phoenix Coyotes would love all over that arrangement.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Gusher

I think it's rather pathetic to say a game is sold out when there are so many empty seats/spots for the game.

I was at the game on Thursday and at the 10minute mark I was coming back to my seat and I passed by one section and the entire standing room was vacant. That's 16 spots just in one small area, and that was in the 2nd period. There were many empty seats while looking around during the game too.

I just think it's more embarrassing to have to pretend a game is sold out when clearly those seats and standing room aren't being used. There's no way that all of those people all decided not to show up. Somebody is buying these seats to make it look like all is well in Oilerland. Maybe it's the Mayor!

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:35 AM
SlowFreshOil*

The Oilers don't have to buy the remaining tickets.

One of their charities can. Thus the scam continues.

I can't give away some of my remaining tickets right now.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:37 AM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Lately scalpers have been selling tickets for 20bucks. Expensive seats have been sold online for a case of beer.
Scalpers will always sell for 20$ if they have to, as its better then nothing. If someone got a ticket for a case of beer, so be it, but you are just selling lies here.

Give me a link for "expensive seats" or even lower bowl for $22?

Didnt think so.

/regardless, I would love to see ticket sales drop, and people worried about profits scared.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:40 AM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
I think it's rather pathetic to say a game is sold out when there are so many empty seats/spots for the game.

Have you watched games elsewhere in the NHL? Many many corporate and commercial seats go unfilled day in and day out, around the league. Those seats are sold.

Its still a sell out, they cant force people to sit in them. Sold is sold, regardless of whos buying.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forechecker View Post
Have you watched games elsewhere in the NHL? Many many corporate and commercial seats go unfilled day in and day out, around the league. Those seats are sold.

Its still a sell out, they cant force people to sit in them. Sold is sold, regardless of whos buying.
If multiple seats together are available on ticketmaster at gametime they are not sold and therefore not a "sellout".

Old
01-10-2010, 12:44 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:

Okay Patrick the gig is up.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Gusher

Quote:

I haven't heard of any corporate or commercial companies buying or giving away standing room tickets to an Oilers game. That would be pretty poor marketing if they did.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Scalpers will always sell for 20$ if they have to, as its better then nothing. If someone got a ticket for a case of beer, so be it, but you are just selling lies here.

Give me a link for "expensive seats" or even lower bowl for $22?

Didnt think so.
Maybe call Barnes a liar if it floats your boat. He wrote the article I linked. If you read it you'd know I pulled that right off the page.

Old
01-10-2010, 12:50 AM
RKD

I also have been looking on Ticketmaster, and what you're saying is possible.

But what's also possible is that tickets are being snagged up by walk-ups. This isn't likely, but considering the state the team is in people do now have the opportunity to get seats simply be walking up to the doors. And at half price for singles, it's not a a bad deal.

You can check them on Ticketmaster all day if you want, but tickets sold at or near game-time will most certainly alter what is seen on Ticketmaster.

But it really doesn't matter in the end, does it? Even if the Oilers or their charities are buying the tickets themselves, the message is still getting to them. I'm sure they'd much prefer to have fans buy the seats if what you're saying is happening. Having to snag up the seats to avoid non-sellout still affects them in a big way.

01-10-2010, 12:55 AM
HotToddy

But on ice performance has nothing to do with attendance.

Atlanta, Florida and Phoenix are just bad hockey markets

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote