HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "sellout" game @ Rexall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
  #76
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
If I was a season ticket holder and they asked about how much of an increase I was willing to shoulder I would fire my tickets back by diseased mule ridden by one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Are you kidding me?

An interesting thread. Read post 10.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=722265


Yeah I'd be offended seeing that question on there but when it comes to things Oily it doesn't take a lot these days..

What other club would increase ticket prices every year that they've put a junk product on the ice and missed the playoffs every year? Then ask if they can do it again. Pretty please..

Gotta love it. "We do it our way"


Last edited by Replacement: 01-11-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:09 AM
  #77
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really?

How about any fan that will be asked to pay the increase in ticket prices next season based on a continuing trumped up notion of sold out supply and demand.

This is overvaluated ticket pricing and some of the highest in the league for the worst hockey, to sit in one of the worst rinks, with the absolute worst concessions.


Oh well, sounds like a great value added deal then. Yank prices up one more time.
But if there are say, 300-500 unsold tickets for each game, do you honestly think that the team will decrease ticket prices for every seat at Rexall to make sure they sell those remaining few hundred?

Maybe they'll allow more season ticket purchasers in the ballpark of a few hundred, thus eliminating the tiny fraction of unsold seats which seem to be quite a big deal. Problem solved from their standpoint.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:25 AM
  #78
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My understanding was always that Molsons offered the half price single seat promotion and that it was always that way although recently in the thread I'm reading that its possibly all the seats.

I haven't read everything yet..

edit: Its pairs SRO, and singles only. Molsons is not offering up multiples at half price promotion. So where are those tickets going. I can currently order 8 tickets together for Nashville. Whats happening to those tickets?
I posted this link earlier.
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=498727

Quote:
Molson Canadian Half Price Seats available for tonight
Get pairs, singles and standing room for half price starting at 9:00 a.m. today
Wednesday, 16.09.2009 / 4:47 AM / News
By Edmonton Oilers Press Release
The Edmonton Oilers host John Tavares and the New York Islanders tonight at Rexall Place. The puck drops at 7:00pm and a limited number of tickets remain available.
if their are 8 seats in a row I would imagine that they would sell those as "Pairs".

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:24 AM
  #79
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
But if there are say, 300-500 unsold tickets for each game, do you honestly think that the team will decrease ticket prices for every seat at Rexall to make sure they sell those remaining few hundred?

Maybe they'll allow more season ticket purchasers in the ballpark of a few hundred, thus eliminating the tiny fraction of unsold seats which seem to be quite a big deal. Problem solved from their standpoint.
Shhh . The OP is "exposing the fable" of the sellout . This is breakthrough stuff we are learning here , keep the business facts separate if you don't mind .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:56 AM
  #80
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,345
vCash: 500
One indication of the lack of demand for tickets is the fact that affiliated radio stations now seem to be giving away primo tickets for every home game. Maybe Jimmi Jenkins can chime in here (IIRC he works for NewCap radio) but I think every Oilers radio affiliate got a set of season tickets this season to give away to their listeners, which would have NEVER happened in previous years.

Also, to add, I know 6 people with season tickets, and from the 5 people that I've spoken to recently, 3 of them have already decided that they won't be renewing, one will renew, the other is taking a wait and see approach. So even if the other 3 renew, that's still only a 50% renewal rate. Which means that lovely season tickets waiting list is gonna get mighty short, mighty fast. Obviously 6 people is a small sample size, too small to draw conclusions from, but these are people who have had seasons for a longgg time, so it could be a sign of things to come.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
  #81
dubya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really?

How about any fan that will be asked to pay the increase in ticket prices next season based on a continuing trumped up notion of sold out supply and demand.

This is overvaluated ticket pricing and some of the highest in the league for the worst hockey, to sit in one of the worst rinks, with the absolute worst concessions.

Oh well, sounds like a great value added deal then. Yank prices up one more time.
Fans aren't buying seats based on a sellout streak. There are over a thousand people on a waiting list for season tickets and ticket packs sellout quickly. The demand is still there. Walk up crowds are clearly suffering due to team quality, and if the tickets aren't going to be sold (despite being offered for half price) and Rexall or another corporate sponsor wants to buy them, so be it. When actual demand (not just walk up) falls, so will prices and attendance (if a corporate sponsor is buying unsold tickets, this will eventually become financially unsustainable).

It's not going to raise prices, and the sellout streak will be used to justify the new rink you so clearly desire (with better concessions, etc.). A half-empty rink is not a good justification to spend a half a billion dollars on a bigger rink. Sometimes I think Edmonton fans are just desperate for new things to fret about, his is hardly a big deal, IMO.

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:38 AM
  #82
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,678
vCash: 344
Never read the comments yet, but I was wondering why he thinks about the out of town fans now and brings them into his arguement? Does he really think it will be better when these people have to go downtown where they are planning very little parking?

Just find it odd that he used the out of towners as an excuse now, but they really haven't thought about them when it comes to the new location.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:41 AM
  #83
TigerWoo
 
TigerWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
One indication of the lack of demand for tickets is the fact that affiliated radio stations now seem to be giving away primo tickets for every home game. Maybe Jimmi Jenkins can chime in here (IIRC he works for NewCap radio) but I think every Oilers radio affiliate got a set of season tickets this season to give away to their listeners, which would have NEVER happened in previous years.

Also, to add, I know 6 people with season tickets, and from the 5 people that I've spoken to recently, 3 of them have already decided that they won't be renewing, one will renew, the other is taking a wait and see approach. So even if the other 3 renew, that's still only a 50% renewal rate. Which means that lovely season tickets waiting list is gonna get mighty short, mighty fast. Obviously 6 people is a small sample size, too small to draw conclusions from, but these are people who have had seasons for a longgg time, so it could be a sign of things to come.
I'll probably renew mine, but it won't be an easy decision. I've sold off my four every game after the Washington one and will continue to sell them off besides games like Pittsburgh. I just can't spend a few hours out of my time to go watch them. Games mean nothing right now and they are pretty boring to watch.

I've had more trouble getting rid of the tickets than the start of the season, but I usually sell them for up to half off (Mine are valued at over $100 each).

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
  #84
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya View Post
Fans aren't buying seats based on a sellout streak. There are over a thousand people on a waiting list for season tickets and ticket packs sellout quickly. The demand is still there. Walk up crowds are clearly suffering due to team quality, and if the tickets aren't going to be sold (despite being offered for half price) and Rexall or another corporate sponsor wants to buy them, so be it. When actual demand (not just walk up) falls, so will prices and attendance (if a corporate sponsor is buying unsold tickets, this will eventually become financially unsustainable).
I'm not convinced theres different types of demand. To me walk up is the current, fluid, demonstration of demand and the latest indication we have of that demand. Right now demand for tickets is approaching zero. With that noted how many listed people will now sign up for seasons tickets? Some of these people have been waitlisted for years and I wonder how many will change their mind.
How many people won't renew?
Plus this is not just about 560 unsold seats its the many others that people are either: giving away, trying to sell at loss, or just not having them used in any way.

Quote:
It's not going to raise prices, and the sellout streak will be used to justify the new rink you so clearly desire (with better concessions, etc.).
ftr I've never been one of the new arena proponents. I've actually argued counter most of the time although I've relented recently because the building costs and labor costs would be down right now.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
  #85
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not convinced theres different types of demand. To me walk up is the current, fluid, demonstration of demand and the latest indication we have of that demand. Right now demand for tickets is approaching zero. With that noted how many listed people will now sign up for seasons tickets? Some of these people have been waitlisted for years and I wonder how many will change their mind.
How many people won't renew?
Plus this is not just about 560 unsold seats its the many others that people are either: giving away, trying to sell at loss, or just not having them used in any way.
Demand for tickets is approaching 0??? So if for some odd reason all the season tickets were refunded and the Oilers had to sell all their tickets again for the remainder of the season, you are telling me that their would be close to 0 people who would buy tickets? That is ridiculous.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
  #86
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Demand for tickets is approaching 0??? So if for some odd reason all the season tickets were refunded and the Oilers had to sell all their tickets again for the remainder of the season, you are telling me that their would be close to 0 people who would buy tickets? That is ridiculous.
That might be a bit of an over statement. But at the current prices and current team there is no way they will continue to "sell-out" next year. The prices will have to go down in order to strike interest again and then the team will have to get better.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
  #87
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Demand for tickets is approaching 0??? So if for some odd reason all the season tickets were refunded and the Oilers had to sell all their tickets again for the remainder of the season, you are telling me that their would be close to 0 people who would buy tickets? That is ridiculous.
I'm looking at the demand right now at this moment. Everywhere you look tickets are discounted and routinely are priced at half price.

I could go to any number of ticket resellers right now and get tickets for 20bucks. Discounted severely. Look at this for example.

http://www.stubhub.com/edmonton-oile...?isGen2Event=1

Many people are selling and few are buying. Note the need for automatic enticements and the sellers knowing they have to discount.

"Approaching zero" was obvious simplification. That aside what is your take on demand right now?


Last edited by Replacement: 01-11-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
  #88
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Never read the comments yet, but I was wondering why he thinks about the out of town fans now and brings them into his arguement? Does he really think it will be better when these people have to go downtown where they are planning very little parking?

Just find it odd that he used the out of towners as an excuse now, but they really haven't thought about them when it comes to the new location.
Interesting comment. I find it odd as well. Especially when any out of towner I talk to notes how much they dislike trying to get to downtown Edmonton. Maybe our main egress, Gateway Boulevard, should have a dedicated bridge to actually get people downtown.

The Walterdale bridge, while being an improvement over the John Walter ferry, is clearly not up to taking all the traffic from Sask Drive, 109th, and Gateway. Not to mention that Gateway at the best of times ain't exactly an expressway.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
  #89
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Interesting comment. I find it odd as well. Especially when any out of towner I talk to notes how much they dislike trying to get to downtown Edmonton. Maybe our main egress, Gateway Boulevard, should have a dedicated bridge to actually get people downtown.

The Walterdale bridge, while being an improvement over the John Walter ferry, is clearly not up to taking all the traffic from Sask Drive, 109th, and Gateway. Not to mention that Gateway at the best of times ain't exactly an expressway.
I think by the time a new arena is built the LRT should be expanded to every branch of the city. People will be able to catch it in the west, north east, south and south east. Out of towners can park at these lrt stations and lrt it to the game. Save the $12 or whatever the parking price will be and just have to pay $2.50 both ways for the lrt.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:48 PM
  #90
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I think by the time a new arena is built the LRT should be expanded to every branch of the city. People will be able to catch it in the west, north east, south and south east. Out of towners can park at these lrt stations and lrt it to the game. Save the $12 or whatever the parking price will be and just have to pay $2.50 both ways for the lrt.
Millwoods LRT is optimistically 10-20 yrs away. Same with west.

Century Park offers no park and ride option at location. The park and ride will be near Henday but with no LRT connection at that point. Who knows when it gets there.

But that aside hockey fan demographics tend to be those that would want to drive to the game. Not many regular goers take the LRT.
Concerts would be a much different demographic and LRT would work more for those.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:53 PM
  #91
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,678
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I think by the time a new arena is built the LRT should be expanded to every branch of the city. People will be able to catch it in the west, north east, south and south east. Out of towners can park at these lrt stations and lrt it to the game. Save the $12 or whatever the parking price will be and just have to pay $2.50 both ways for the lrt.
This isn't a city where people are going to want to walk to bus stops and wait for LRT's when it is minus 30. Unless the LRT station is a block from my house I won't be using it to go to games. I don't have the time to be wasting before and after a game waiting for transfers and such. And do you really think that people that drive an hour plus to the games are going to want to do the same?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
  #92
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
That might be a bit of an over statement. But at the current prices and current team there is no way they will continue to "sell-out" next year. The prices will have to go down in order to strike interest again and then the team will have to get better.
Its obviously a huge over statement.

Season tickets will be sold out next year again, their will be Eberle and MPS, maybe a guy like Hall, and a couple new faces that will give most everyone hope for a playoff appearance, and no one wants to miss out on play off hockey in Rexall. Sure they might not sell out every game completely, but they will be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm looking at the demand right now at this moment. Everywhere you look tickets are discounted and routinely are priced at half price.

I could go to any number of ticket resellers right now and get tickets for 20bucks. Discounted severely. Look at this for example.

http://www.stubhub.com/edmonton-oile...?isGen2Event=1

Many people are selling and few are buying. Note the need for automatic enticements and the sellers knowing they have to discount.

"Approaching zero" was obvious simplification. That aside what is your take on demand right now?
Yes demand for game to game tickets is obviously down. When the demand doesn't meet the supply the prices obviously go down. Thats the whole premise of the Molson half price tickets. If the demand does not meet the supply for any given game then the remaining tickets are discounted in half to get rid of them.

And just because a season ticket holder wants to sell his tickets on a game to game basis does not mean that his tickets are not in demand. He will renew his seats next year, and if he doesn't someone else will. When the Edmonton Oilers sell a set of season seats that demand has been met. Just because he doesn't want to actually attend the games doesn't mean that those tickets aren't "in demand".

And i do think their are different kinds of demand for Oilers tickets. Buying season seats and buying single games is completely different. When you buy season seats you get perks like cheaper rates, first dibs on playoff tickets, first dibs on single game seats, guaranteed seats. There is a different demand for that then their is for single game sales. If their wasn't then there would be people who bought tickets to all 41 games on a game by game basis.

as for putting an actual # on the demand for Oilers tickets I would say that the demand is less than the supply, but not by much. The building is still pretty much sold out.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
  #93
Lounge Act*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
After Pisani scored. I wouldn't be surprised if the other sections looked this bad.



Last edited by Lounge Act*: 01-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
  #94
Lounge Act*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
They're laughing about this over at mulletgarypuck, but vs. Columbus, 4th straight year out of the playoffs, 29th in the NHL in January - Cowtown would be lucky to get 10,000 at this game. Stupid hillbillies.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
  #95
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,678
vCash: 344
Maybe instead of Molson half price tickets they should start giving these tickets to kids. Although it ain't exactly something I would want to show to a kid right now.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
  #96
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
The Oilers are in their worst stretch since the mid-90s performance wise. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a drop in attendance.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
  #97
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This isn't a city where people are going to want to walk to bus stops and wait for LRT's when it is minus 30. Unless the LRT station is a block from my house I won't be using it to go to games. I don't have the time to be wasting before and after a game waiting for transfers and such. And do you really think that people that drive an hour plus to the games are going to want to do the same?
Do you think they are going to want to use double the time getting in and out of downtown by vehicle? If you aren't standing there in the cold waiting for the lrt you will be walking it in the cold from the area that you parked at. Plus you will never have to wait 30 minutes as the lrt comes every 15 minutes.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
  #98
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Its obviously a huge over statement.

Season tickets will be sold out next year again, their will be Eberle and MPS, maybe a guy like Hall, and a couple new faces that will give most everyone hope for a playoff appearance, and no one wants to miss out on play off hockey in Rexall. Sure they might not sell out every game completely, but they will be close.
Obviously that will depend on what is done in the offseason. Anyone who buys season tickets based on three rookies coming in(on this already disfunctional team) and turning this team into a playoff team is an fool and deserves to be dissapointed again. The fact is there are already tickets readily available on game day, and the waiting list for season tickets got considerably shorter this offseason. Obviously it will depend on ticket prices but I can't see people wanting to pay this kind of money to watch a rookie infused line up that should be projected to finsh in about the same area.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:52 PM
  #99
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,678
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Do you think they are going to want to use double the time getting in and out of downtown by vehicle? If you aren't standing there in the cold waiting for the lrt you will be walking it in the cold from the area that you parked at. Plus you will never have to wait 30 minutes as the lrt comes every 15 minutes.
That's my point if out of towners are that big that Laforge is using them as the excuse, do you really think that people are going to want to drive a hour and then have to take a bus/LRT? Sure it sounds it easy, but it isn't realistic.

I know quite a few people from out of town and weather is rarely a reason they don't go, there is ususally someone that will take the tickets and come in. But from what I gather most aren't impressed if they are going to have to go downtown. Addding and extra half an hour to each game might be too much for out of towners.

Even people in the city complain about 7:30 games during the week, keep adding these little problems and the team could end up with a big problem especially with what we are seeing on the ice.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
  #100
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,678
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Obviously that will depend on what is done in the offseason. Anyone who buys season tickets based on three rookies coming in(on this already disfunctional team) and turning this team into a playoff team is an fool and deserves to be dissapointed again. The fact is there are already tickets readily available on game day, and the waiting list for season tickets got considerably shorter this offseason. Obviously it will depend on ticket prices but I can't see people wanting to pay this kind of money to watch a rookie infused line up that should be projected to finsh in about the same area.
I agree with this. The team seems to be too short sighted and doesn't think the fans will ever leave, but it is slowly happening. If they have 2-3 like we did in the 90's do they really expect attendance to stay up? It didn't back then and there is no reason to think it would now.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.