HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "sellout" game @ Rexall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
  #101
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's my point if out of towners are that big that Laforge is using them as the excuse, do you really think that people are going to want to drive a hour and then have to take a bus/LRT? Sure it sounds it easy, but it isn't realistic.

I know quite a few people from out of town and weather is rarely a reason they don't go, there is ususally someone that will take the tickets and come in. But from what I gather most aren't impressed if they are going to have to go downtown. Addding and extra half an hour to each game might be too much for out of towners.

Even people in the city complain about 7:30 games during the week, keep adding these little problems and the team could end up with a big problem especially with what we are seeing on the ice.
I mean I'm not an out of towner that ahs to drive an hour to Edmonton. But I live in Beaumont and would definitely drive and park at the lrt. In fact since my girlfriend works at the gov't buildings on 114th there I just take her parking pass and park there and take the lrt to the game. I don't see why it is so inconvenient for someone driving from out of town to take the lrt. It's not like it adds a bunch of time to you arrival or exit and plus you don't have to fight the crazy congestion.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
  #102
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
I leave work from the southside (45th Ave) every day at 6 PM, taking Gateway Blvd. to Saskatchewan Drive/Scona Road, across the low level, up McDougall Hill Road, onto Jasper, then north on 97th until Castle Downs Road.

Alternatively I would cross at the Walterdale and head up to 107th before going to 97th Street, though I stopped taking that route when they were doing some construction in the summer so I've stuck with the Scona Road route.

Standard traffic at this time along that route is actually pretty light (especially compared to if I leave work at 5 PM). I don't think there will be much competition for existing parking/existing traffic for 7:30 hockey games.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
  #103
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I mean I'm not an out of towner that ahs to drive an hour to Edmonton. But I live in Beaumont and would definitely drive and park at the lrt. In fact since my girlfriend works at the gov't buildings on 114th there I just take her parking pass and park there and take the lrt to the game. I don't see why it is so inconvenient for someone driving from out of town to take the lrt. It's not like it adds a bunch of time to you arrival or exit and plus you don't have to fight the crazy congestion.
Who wants to wait around when it is cold, expecially after driving all that way. As for the crazy traffic congestion, well no you don't have to but you have to fight your way through the crowded LRT stations that aren't really capable of having that many people at one time leaving the game. Add the crime that there is on city buses and lrts and there is another reason people may not take the LRT. Not saying all out of towners are going to pull the pin, but keep adding more little issues and you could see a drop in these type of season ticket holders.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
  #104
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who wants to wait around when it is cold, expecially after driving all that way. As for the crazy traffic congestion, well no you don't have to but you have to fight your way through the crowded LRT stations that aren't really capable of having that many people at one time leaving the game. Add the crime that there is on city buses and lrts and there is another reason people may not take the LRT. Not saying all out of towners are going to pull the pin, but keep adding more little issues and you could see a drop in these type of season ticket holders.
And then their will be an Edmonton resident ready to take over their season tickets. The Team should be competitive enough again in 5 years or so when the new rink is finished.

The fact that these people are driving in over an hour to attend games shows how committed they are to the Oilers, you think a 15 minute wait at an LRT is going to stop them? I'm more worried about the casual fan not attending the game because they don't want to fight the traffic downtown, and that doesn't concern me.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
  #105
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who wants to wait around when it is cold, expecially after driving all that way. As for the crazy traffic congestion, well no you don't have to but you have to fight your way through the crowded LRT stations that aren't really capable of having that many people at one time leaving the game. Add the crime that there is on city buses and lrts and there is another reason people may not take the LRT. Not saying all out of towners are going to pull the pin, but keep adding more little issues and you could see a drop in these type of season ticket holders.
There is a good chance, but if the demand is there for tickets I don't think they care who is buying them.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
  #106
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
As it stands now, I drive from Castle Downs to Claireview to Park and Ride for all events instead of paying significantly more for parking. The time disadvantage is fairly negligible.

As for the cold, I'm more likely to be cold walking from my car to the coliseum as opposed to waiting for the LRT. There usually is a decent crowd at the Claireview one. Though I disagree that the LRT isn't capable of handling that many people.

The LRT is actually pretty damn convenient IMO.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
  #107
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's my point if out of towners are that big that Laforge is using them as the excuse, do you really think that people are going to want to drive a hour and then have to take a bus/LRT? Sure it sounds it easy, but it isn't realistic.

I know quite a few people from out of town and weather is rarely a reason they don't go, there is ususally someone that will take the tickets and come in. But from what I gather most aren't impressed if they are going to have to go downtown. Addding and extra half an hour to each game might be too much for out of towners.

Even people in the city complain about 7:30 games during the week, keep adding these little problems and the team could end up with a big problem especially with what we are seeing on the ice.
what about the people living in Leduc, Devon, Red Deer? having an arena downtown would cut their driving time down a lot

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
  #108
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
what about the people living in Leduc, Devon, Red Deer? having an arena downtown would cut their driving time down a lot
It may be shorter distance but with the henday and yellowhead i would think it is probably quicker to the current rexall location.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
  #109
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It may be shorter distance but with the henday and yellowhead i would think it is probably quicker to the current rexall location.
I dunno, I live on the south side and it only takes about 5 minutes to get to Rexall once you get past downtown. So if they come through the city using gateway it won't make much difference. Its either 5 minutes more or 5 minutes less depending on what way you go I guess.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
  #110
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
It is about the same for me to travel to Millwoods (23rd Ave and 50th street) from Castle Downs through the city with non-rush hour traffic than it is for me to take the Yellowhead to 216.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
  #111
BlueBelle
Registered User
 
BlueBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: in a C of annoying
Posts: 7,801
vCash: 500
i'm an out of towner who drives to games. I usually pick up my brother or friends on the way and when there are a bunch of us in the car its cheaper to park than pay for LRT for all of us both ways.

I do find it much faster to park at the game than to drive to an LRT station. Maybe its also just that I've just driven for three plus hours for the game and I just want to get there already. If the arena was downtown it would save a bit of driving for me. I'm all for it.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
  #112
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
I doubt there will be a huge dip in the number of season tix sold this offseason. As previously mentioned, there has been a waiting list for years. I'd assume some , not a ton, of current season ticket holders will not renew this year, which will open the door for some on the list. If those people who now have a chance to buy are smart, they'll take that opportunity, not because the product will be great next season or in the new few, but because three, four, five years down the road they will be (hopefully).

What some seem to forget is that very few of the season tickets are sold to individuals who go to all 41 games. They're bought by companies who give them to employees, or clients. Or you'll get a half dozen friends buying a pair of seats together and splitting the games up amongst themselves. They'll continue to buy, because as bad as the team may be, they still want to get out to 6 or 10 games a year, support the team and just do something different.

Let's be realistic, we live in Edmonton. There is not an abundance of things to do here in the winter. A hockey game is still a big deal whether some want to admit it or not.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
  #113
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I doubt there will be a huge dip in the number of season tix sold this offseason. As previously mentioned, there has been a waiting list for years. I'd assume some , not a ton, of current season ticket holders will not renew this year, which will open the door for some on the list. If those people who now have a chance to buy are smart, they'll take that opportunity, not because the product will be great next season or in the new few, but because three, four, five years down the road they will be (hopefully).

What some seem to forget is that very few of the season tickets are sold to individuals who go to all 41 games. They're bought by companies who give them to employees, or clients. Or you'll get a half dozen friends buying a pair of seats together and splitting the games up amongst themselves. They'll continue to buy, because as bad as the team may be, they still want to get out to 6 or 10 games a year, support the team and just do something different.

Let's be realistic, we live in Edmonton. There is not an abundance of things to do here in the winter. A hockey game is still a big deal whether some want to admit it or not.
I don't think the waiting list is that jam packed that you need to get on it now or else you will never get tickets. A friend of mine was on it last year and he got a call from the Oilers telling him that he is next in line and could buy season tickets if he wanted. Unfortunately he had just had a kid and just got married and couldn't afford to buy them. I don't think he was on that list the previous year.

Not everyone on the waiting list will actually buy season tickets when it gets to their turn.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
  #114
MerryJ99
Registered User
 
MerryJ99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who wants to wait around when it is cold, expecially after driving all that way. As for the crazy traffic congestion, well no you don't have to but you have to fight your way through the crowded LRT stations that aren't really capable of having that many people at one time leaving the game. Add the crime that there is on city buses and lrts and there is another reason people may not take the LRT. Not saying all out of towners are going to pull the pin, but keep adding more little issues and you could see a drop in these type of season ticket holders.
I have never noticed all the crime you are talking about on the LRT and I use it to go to every game I attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This isn't a city where people are going to want to walk to bus stops and wait for LRT's when it is minus 30. Unless the LRT station is a block from my house I won't be using it to go to games. I don't have the time to be wasting before and after a game waiting for transfers and such. And do you really think that people that drive an hour plus to the games are going to want to do the same?
When my husband and I go to games we go to the stadium LRT, lots of parking not a lot of people there and the walk in the cold is minimal, it costs less than pking at Rexall as well it is a lot shorter distance from the station at Rexall to the doors. I hate leaving Rexall parking it is way to stressful. It takes no time to get into the LRT and on a train after a game and we ride one stop and are in our Car at the Stadium, I bet by the time it takes to get to the stadium on the LRT would be the same time as it would take to walk the mile to the car parking at Rexall. I wish we would have started doing this years ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm looking at the demand right now at this moment. Everywhere you look tickets are discounted and routinely are priced at half price.

I could go to any number of ticket resellers right now and get tickets for 20bucks. Discounted severely. Look at this for example.

http://www.stubhub.com/edmonton-oile...?isGen2Event=1

Many people are selling and few are buying. Note the need for automatic enticements and the sellers knowing they have to discount.

"Approaching zero" was obvious simplification. That aside what is your take on demand right now?
yes and this gives opportunity to people who would normally not be able to purchase tickets to go to the games, I know we will take advantage of this at the moment to take our kids to the games. I will not pay 100 a ticket for them but I have no problem paying 100 for all of us to go. Win or loose it is a great Family outing and my kids love the Oilers win or loose.



I am a fan and always have been, I refuse to be a bandwagon fan who is only interested in supporting the team when they are winning. It has been painful at times and it is now but to only support them when they are winning is wrong.

Our family gave up seasons tickets in 2001 and we were sorry in 2006 that we did, that is not going to happen a second time around.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
  #115
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
I imagine it's kids when Laforge mentions people that still come in and go "wow!"

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.