HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto's superstar Phil Kessel

Old
01-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Rafters

vCash: 500
Toronto's superstar Phil Kessel

Love how the Canadian Media(mostly Toronto) keep calling Kessel a superstar.......What has he done to every be considered a superstar???

Last year with a great Boston team was his 1st decent season where he managed 60 pts in 70 games, although he did get 36 goals.....this year he is on pace for 45pts in 70 games with 29 goals....

I just feel the guy is overrated by the media(and Burke), At best the guy is a 1st liner but surely no superstar in the NHL..he has only had 1 good year on a deep team and now that he is expected to carry the mail in TO he has failed miserably..

in all honesty...if the Leafs thought signing Blake was a bad deal this has to be one of the worst RFA signings in nhl history

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:43 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Technically it was worse than an RFA signing, as for some inexplicable reason instead of simply signing the guy, Burke opted to trade for him and included a 2nd first round pick instead of the 3rd round pick that would have been forfeited in an RFA signing.

It's pretty funny.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Bryanbryoil

He is a very good player but he plays with less than stellar players in TO and has a world of pressure on him.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

It's ron wilsons fault. Publically bashing the guy, destroying his confidence. You don't make an example of that type of guy. Kessel can't handle that criticism.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He is a very good player but he plays with less than stellar players in TO and has a world of pressure on him.
agreed but to call him a SUPERSTAR........as many have said about Hemsky....A superstar should be a point a game player every year, that can turn scrubs into legit point producers even on a weak ass team

Just can not see him being the go to guy that is a superstar

Old
01-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
I think it would be have a smart grab if he hadn't traded their 1st round pick to get him.

He's still a young guy, and having that extra high pick would have done wonders for a rebuild in Toronto.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
I think it would be have a smart grab if he hadn't traded their 1st round pick to get him.

He's still a young guy, and having that extra high pick would have done wonders for a rebuild in Toronto.
It is really starting to look bad on Burke.....wonder how long before he goes from savior to fired....

Old
01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
surshot*

Burke wanted to make an RFA offer but his ego got in the way and decided to trade with Boston probably with a threat to Offer sheet Kessel. He ended up screwing the leafs bad and gave way to much for Kessel proving for the millionth time he is the biggest Dbag in hockey. The evidence is overwhelming.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:39 AM
noice
The Shield

get traded back to Boston please or to PHX xD

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:21 AM
oilerfan91

I remember that thread on the main page about Kessel being a franchise player.It was pretty funny watching the Toronto fans defend him and showing their new and improved record.

I can't believe Burke traded away his next two 1st round draft picks.

oilerfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:30 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Technically it was worse than an RFA signing, as for some inexplicable reason instead of simply signing the guy, Burke opted to trade for him and included a 2nd first round pick instead of the 3rd round pick that would have been forfeited in an RFA signing.

It's pretty funny.
I think this goes back to Lowe. Burke's boisterous theatrics in the Penner aftermath assured that he could never make an offer sheet without being seen as a hypocrite. As such, he had to make a trade.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:57 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I think this goes back to Lowe. Burke's boisterous theatrics in the Penner aftermath assured that he could never make an offer sheet without being seen as a hypocrite. As such, he had to make a trade.
I don't disagree.. I just think that makes it even funnier...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:

It's pretty funny.
He paid the 2nd so that no one would call him a hypocrite after his Klowe tirade.

edit: I see some one already pointed out this!

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan91 View Post
I remember that thread on the main page about Kessel being a franchise player.It was pretty funny watching the Toronto fans defend him and showing their new and improved record.

I can't believe Burke traded away his next two 1st round draft picks.
Boston is in win now mode, but they will need a young kid to hype after losing Kessel so I don't think TO's 1st this year will be moved. However, Boston won't be thinking next season so maybe we can pry TO's 1st11 and hope they lottery again so we can chase Larsson. If we could add Hall and Larsson over the next two seasons, that should be most of a rebuild right there.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Finger Post

Quote:

It's pretty funny.
Hilarious. Kessel's agent informed the Bruins that they were terminating negotiations and would sign an offer sheet. It stands to reason that Burke could have signed him to the same contract and only compensated Boston a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd instead of two 1sts and a 2nd.

Now someone might want to argue Burke wanted a lower priced contract more than the second 1st rounder so he traded for him to eliminate other RFA offer sheet competition and force Kessel into a smaller contract. However that logic doesn't fly since the trade itself was contingent on Kessel signing a contract, which he could have refused to do and then could have proceeded to sign any higher offer sheet. The contract Kessel signed was no lower than he would have gotten as an RFA.

I think any way you look at it Burke gave up the 2011 1st rounder instead of a 2010 3rd rounder intentionally to avoid the RFA process while still giving top dollar to a young RFA. It saves face while still keeping young RFA money high, which was what Burke was squawking about with the Penner sheet. In my mind, that's giving away team capital to look good, and is a firing offence.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
stish

While I agree he's been hyped, find me one instance where the media called him a superstar. You won't find any.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
While I agree he's been hyped, find me one instance where the media called him a superstar. You won't find any.
Watch TSN or cbc much.......all they talked about was how Wilson ripped into the Leafs superstar for substandard play....during the Leafs/Pens game everytime Kessel touched the puck simpson/Hughson would call him a superstar

Old
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Post View Post
Hilarious. Kessel's agent informed the Bruins that they were terminating negotiations and would sign an offer sheet. It stands to reason that Burke could have signed him to the same contract and only compensated Boston a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd instead of two 1sts and a 2nd.

Now someone might want to argue Burke wanted a lower priced contract more than the second 1st rounder so he traded for him to eliminate other RFA offer sheet competition and force Kessel into a smaller contract. However that logic doesn't fly since the trade itself was contingent on Kessel signing a contract, which he could have refused to do and then could have proceeded to sign any higher offer sheet. The contract Kessel signed was no lower than he would have gotten as an RFA.

I think any way you look at it Burke gave up the 2011 1st rounder instead of a 2010 3rd rounder intentionally to avoid the RFA process while still giving top dollar to a young RFA. It saves face while still keeping young RFA money high, which was what Burke was squawking about with the Penner sheet. In my mind, that's giving away team capital to look good, and is a firing offence.
Not for the amount that his contract was signed for.
Kessel makes 4.5 mill/year.
For a group 2 UFA, the compensation is.

Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million - Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:43 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Watch TSN or cbc much.......all they talked about was how Wilson ripped into the Leafs superstar for substandard play....during the Leafs/Pens game everytime Kessel touched the puck simpson/Hughson would call him a superstar
I would assume they mean a superstar on his team.
The same way that hemsky or this season penner, has been our "superstar"
Not a superstar around the league, but compared to the rest of the team, he is their "Superstar".

Anyone who calls Kessel a Legit nhl superstar is either an incredible leafs homer, or have absolutely no exposure to any other team in the NHL.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
stish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I would assume they mean a superstar on his team.
The same way that hemsky or this season penner, has been our "superstar"
Not a superstar around the league, but compared to the rest of the team, he is their "Superstar".

Anyone who calls Kessel a Legit nhl superstar is either an incredible leafs homer, or have absolutely no exposure to any other team in the NHL.
That's why I seriously doubt that he's been called a superstar, a star maybe. And Hughson and Simpson's hate for the Leafs is well known, so I doubt they called him that. I didn't watch the game last night. If anyone can find an instance of Kessel being called a superstar in print, I'll eat my shorts.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:59 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

He's a terrific complimentary player but based on what Burke gave up, he was thinking that Kessel is a franchise player, talk about a guy shooting for rainbows.
Now Kessel, who's kind of a low key guy apparently is probably feeling a ton of pressure to live up to expectations in a hockey crazy market, they better be careful with him because the weight of the pressure could get the best of him eventually (look at Penner for example).
It's a move that could set the Leafs back for several years and it's quite funny actually, it's good to see a franchise that is actually in worse shape than the Oilers, we can always look at the Leafs situation and feel comfort.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not for the amount that his contract was signed for.
Kessel makes 4.5 mill/year.
For a group 2 UFA, the compensation is.

Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million - Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
Those compensations scale with the cap, and what you quoted was the original amounts... they are much higher now.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He's a terrific complimentary player but based on what Burke gave up, he was thinking that Kessel is a franchise player, talk about a guy shooting for rainbows.
Now Kessel, who's kind of a low key guy apparently is probably feeling a ton of pressure to live up to expectations in a hockey crazy market, they better be careful with him because the weight of the pressure could get the best of him eventually (look at Penner for example).
It's a move that could set the Leafs back for several years and it's quite funny actually, it's good to see a franchise that is actually in worse shape than the Oilers, we can always look at the Leafs situation and feel comfort.
Yup, pretty much bang on the money.

My hatred towards Burke has somewhat subsided over the past few months, due the dismal state the Leafs are in both short term but more importantly long term. To call the situation "grim" is being nice. An absolute hypocrite Burke is with the Kessel signing, if I was the owner of the team, I'd almost be tempted to fire him for that move alone.

As for Kessel himself as a player, I've never been a fan of his. He was hyped up before his draft year, and pure goalscorers of his ilk are rare, but not much else is there outside of the offensive flare (not that it's necessarily a bad thing).

I question his character, he seems to have a very strange personality. He overcame cancer, which is outstanding for him, so naturally people may think anyone who overcomes testicular cancer has some strong mental fortitude, but when it comes to the game of hockey, from what I see he is a very good complimentary player, a 1st liner to be sure but I doubt he has what it takes to lead a team and shoulder the load.

I'm just not a fan of his, period. I think he's overrated.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Any player on the Leafs roster gets an automatic PR boost as far as status. So okay first liners are suddenly superstars.

I can picture Bruins management kicking back, drinking scotch, having a good laugh about it for years to come.

If Burke stays desperate to land more "superstars" for the Leafs, the team could have a long, rough ride with nothing left in the cupboard. The man likes to make big slashes, and the NHL is starting to turn more towards how well you draft and develop.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 1324
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
NHL Player Derrik Morris laughs at Toronto Superstar Phil Kessel.

In all seriousness, I never understood the hype. Sure he is good, but Toronto got ripped off.