HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please don't be penciling Hall into our lineup!

Old
01-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I think Toes already challenged him in the Fall 4 Hall thread.
I think everyone would like to challenge him on this. He won't have control of his avatar for years.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:29 PM
alexo

I doubt that the Oilers stick in 29th by the end of the season. I'm thinking whoever predicted they'd get somewhere between 8-10th pick was right.

This mini-camp I think will give the team a boost.

They won't make the playoffs. But I they'll push hard to win as many as they can.

I'm a guy that would love Hall here, but I don't see that happening. So I agree.. stop writing Hall in line-ups like he's guaranteed to be here next year. But hey, it's you that will be disappointed if he isn't our pick, I suppose.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

We are the worst team in the league and it will stay that way. The Canes were, but now they are healthy. They had no Staal and no Ward for a while, but now both are back (well, Staal is out right at the moment but due to a family tragedy not injury) and the Canes are playing well. Hemsky is done for the year, the Wall is done for the year, Comrie is still out, Souray hasn't been right since his concussion. We are the worst team in the league, and have a good look at 30th by the end of the month, just look at our sched

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
this board should get ready to deal with the fact that the team will end up draft between 8th and 10th--that is my prediction
There is no way in the world the Oilers will move up that much with the possibility of Khabbi being out for the season and going with 2 inexperienced goaltenders. You're overrating the Oilers here a tad.

01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Hall... Seguin... Fowler... it's all good.

Finishing 8-10, on the other hand... that would suck. But how's that going to happen? How could this bunch of losers possibly win enough hockey games to pass 6-8 teams in the standings?

What really worries me is if our blessed management decides that instead of using the draft pick to draft the future of our franchise, they could use it to trade for some big name talent. I am picturing a conversation that goes something like this:

Tambellini: "I really think we need a strong center to build around. This franchise has been hurting for one since Doug Weight left..."
Prendergast: "Yeah, but we need a rock on defense too."
Tambellini: "We might be able to get a future shut-down guy at the deadline if we move some assets..."
Prendergast: "It's not going to be easy to move the kind of contracts we've got..."
Tambellini: "This is going to take a long time... so many holes. I can't believe this organization has so many holes."

Kevin Lowe walks in, carrying a Booster-Juice.

Lowe: "GRRREATTT NEWS GUYS!"
Tambellini and Prendergast cringe.
Lowe: "Well isn't somebody going to ask what it is?"
Tambellini: (long sigh of despair) "What is it?"
Lowe: "I just got off the phone with Don Waddell!"
Tambellini: "uh-oh..."
Lowe: "Don must be drunk or something, because I asked him what it would take to get Ilya Kovalchuk, and he said all he wants is our first round draft pick! HAHAHA, isn't that hilarious?"
(awkward silence)
Lowe: "haha, you guys aren't laughing. Long day, I guess. Hey, whatever. Let's fire up the fax machine and get this done before Don sobers up!"
Tambellini: "Kev... we just told the fans we're not going to trade away the futre..."
Lowe: "Yeah, but it's Kovalchuk! We can give the fans the superstar they've been demanding ever since Pronger left!"
Tambellini: "He's unrestricted. We'd only have him for a couple of months..."
Lowe: "We'll just sign him to an extension! We can clear up the cap space by trading .. uh, I dunno. Other guys or something."
Tambellini: "We can't do it. It would ruin us..."
Lowe: "Well I think we can do it, and we should do it. Have you seen my business card lately? It says President of ... of something-something."
Tambellini and Prendergast look blankly at each other.
Lowe: "Tell you what, I'm just going to phone up Darryl right now and settle this." (dials.) "Darryl? Hi, Kevin. Listen, I've lined up a trade that'll bring a superstar to town, but Steve doesn't want to do it because he doesn't want to trade a draft pick. What's that? Yeah, that's what I said. Steve doesn't want to trade a draft pick to get a superstar.... ok, thanks, bye."
Tambellini and Prendergast do double face-palms.
Lowe: "Well, there you have it. Fire up the fax machine. By the way, Steve, Darryl says you're fired. I'll provide you a good reference if you get your stuff out of my office before Monday."
I laughed.

Better than Mowzie's comedy.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
You do know that teams not in the top 6 can win the Lottery? Your math is off by a bunch. Staying at 2nd is higher than 42%
Only teams able to move up to #1 overall are teams that finish in the bottom 5 in the league. No one else has the chance to pick #1 overall except the bottom 5.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
You know that you can only move up a maximum of 5 spots in the draft right? That means if we remain in 2nd, we only have to worry about 3-7 winning the lottery.

How is my math wrong? Please let me know.
Wrong. Teams can only move up 4 spots maximum but the bottom 5 can't drop down more than a spot.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Wrong. Teams can only move up 4 spots maximum but the bottom 5 can't drop down more than a spot.
pretty much bang on.

A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team eligible to improve its draft order by up to four places, and no team eligible to drop more than one place

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
There is no way in the world the Oilers will move up that much with the possibility of Khabbi being out for the season and going with 2 inexperienced goaltenders. You're overrating the Oilers here a tad.
Essentially this same lineup won five straight games less than a month ago.

Also, this team's core has historically shown the ability to excel when the pressure's off. On top of that, it doesn't take much of a run to gain points on terrible teams. 8-10 might be tough but they're only six points behind St. Louis who would draft 7th today. They could make that up in 2-3 weeks if they go on a little bit of a run.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Jesus

I think you people underestimate the crappiness that is the Edmonton Oilers.

They should/will be sellers and there are likely to be a lot of teams in the playoff hunt doing their best to get in so if anything the current trend of losing will continue.
The Oilers will be bottom 5 and I would be shocked if by the end of the season the Oilers are not drafting top 3.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Didn't Hall have a goal and two assists in the gold medal game? Not sure what more you could want.

Edit: And you're out to lunch if you think the Oilers can win enough games to get into the 8-10 draft spot. This roster is not better than they look in the standings. It's the definition of a last place team. No starting goalie, no first line, certainly no second line, a lack of any veterans who know how to win. There's like three guys on the roster right now who are playing like above-average NHL players.
and the most important fact of all. Half the team, or more, wants out.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:11 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Hall... Seguin... Fowler... it's all good.

Finishing 8-10, on the other hand... that would suck. But how's that going to happen? How could this bunch of losers possibly win enough hockey games to pass 6-8 teams in the standings?

What really worries me is if our blessed management decides that instead of using the draft pick to draft the future of our franchise, they could use it to trade for some big name talent. I am picturing a conversation that goes something like this:

Tambellini: "I really think we need a strong center to build around. This franchise has been hurting for one since Doug Weight left..."
Prendergast: "Yeah, but we need a rock on defense too."
Tambellini: "We might be able to get a future shut-down guy at the deadline if we move some assets..."
Prendergast: "It's not going to be easy to move the kind of contracts we've got..."
Tambellini: "This is going to take a long time... so many holes. I can't believe this organization has so many holes."

Kevin Lowe walks in, carrying a Booster-Juice.

Lowe: "GRRREATTT NEWS GUYS!"
Tambellini and Prendergast cringe.
Lowe: "Well isn't somebody going to ask what it is?"
Tambellini: (long sigh of despair) "What is it?"
Lowe: "I just got off the phone with Don Waddell!"
Tambellini: "uh-oh..."
Lowe: "Don must be drunk or something, because I asked him what it would take to get Ilya Kovalchuk, and he said all he wants is our first round draft pick! HAHAHA, isn't that hilarious?"
(awkward silence)
Lowe: "haha, you guys aren't laughing. Long day, I guess. Hey, whatever. Let's fire up the fax machine and get this done before Don sobers up!"
Tambellini: "Kev... we just told the fans we're not going to trade away the futre..."
Lowe: "Yeah, but it's Kovalchuk! We can give the fans the superstar they've been demanding ever since Pronger left!"
Tambellini: "He's unrestricted. We'd only have him for a couple of months..."
Lowe: "We'll just sign him to an extension! We can clear up the cap space by trading .. uh, I dunno. Other guys or something."
Tambellini: "We can't do it. It would ruin us..."
Lowe: "Well I think we can do it, and we should do it. Have you seen my business card lately? It says President of ... of something-something."
Tambellini and Prendergast look blankly at each other.
Lowe: "Tell you what, I'm just going to phone up Darryl right now and settle this." (dials.) "Darryl? Hi, Kevin. Listen, I've lined up a trade that'll bring a superstar to town, but Steve doesn't want to do it because he doesn't want to trade a draft pick. What's that? Yeah, that's what I said. Steve doesn't want to trade a draft pick to get a superstar.... ok, thanks, bye."
Tambellini and Prendergast do double face-palms.
Lowe: "Well, there you have it. Fire up the fax machine. By the way, Steve, Darryl says you're fired. I'll provide you a good reference if you get your stuff out of my office before Monday."
The booster juice part made me laugh the most. Created such a good picture.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:30 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 568
So those who want to bet me

do you want it general where you guys predict the oilers finish in the bottom 5 IE 26 through 30th and I get 25 and up or do you want the bet to be

you guys say it is a 29th or 30th finish and I get 22nd or 21sy finish

I say by finish and no draft spot because the oiler could finish at 25th overall--win the lotto and draft 2nd overall

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Ad Rock

Quote:

do you want it general where you guys predict the oilers finish in the bottom 5 IE 26 through 30th and I get 25 and up or do you want the bet to be

I say by finish and no draft spot because the oiler could finish at 25th overall--win the lotto and draft 2nd overall
If you are proclaiming yourself to be the new Oiler Oracle I think the terms should not be so balanced. The reason people are taking objection to your statements (at least in my opinion) is that you are talking about very specific predictions such as the Oilers finishing 8th-10th.

The bet should simply be that the Oilers do not finish 8th-10th and we win your Avatar.

Lots of posters on here make predictions, and lots get them fairly *close*. If you are that confident in your ability to judge how the Oilers will finish you should be willing to have the odds stacked against you. I don't think most people here are guaranteeing that we will finish in the bottom 2 so asking them to bet on that would be unfair.

You laid the gauntlet with your bold prediction, now you have to be willing to pay the price if you want your opinion to hold more water than the rest of us here.

Ad Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

leafs are willing to trade you guys toskala for khabi to solidify your #1 overall pick chances

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
as of late my predictions have been bang on
you should go buy a lottery ticket then... or just give me the winning numbers

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:53 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
leafs are willing to trade you guys toskala for khabi to solidify your #1 overall pick chances
i'd do it just to get his contract gone

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
this board should get ready to deal with the fact that the team will end up draft between 8th and 10th--that is my prediction
No, you'll be wrong.

Just look at the math of needing to get that "high" in the standings and come back.

The only way they get to 8th or 10th in the draft is by playing with an almost San Jose-like record.

Do you really think they'll do that?

Last edited by Senor Catface: 01-10-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:18 PM
myteammytown

Quote:

you said the oilers will be picking 8th-10th.

you get 8,9,10

the end.

Old
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
you said the oilers will be picking 8th-10th.

you get 8,9,10

the end.
and the guys who are saying at top 3 pick? no--if you are saying 1,2.3 no problem--but if you that 4,5.6 and 7 make you a winner as well no bet--I am willing to bet someone who believes the oilers will get a top 3 pick--but not given the 4 to 7 picks away as part of any bet--if you say they will finish bottom 3 in the league then stick with the bottom 3--both 4th to 7 is not bottom 3

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

There is a lot of miss information in this thread about the draft lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
You do know that teams not in the top 6 can win the Lottery? Your math is off by a bunch. Staying at 2nd is higher than 42%
Here is the breakdown of the draft and the odds (granted we finish 2nd.)
Draft Pos Finished %of Winning Lotto Would move to Oil Draft 2 Oil Draft 1 Oil Draft 3
1 30 25.0% 1 25.0%  
2 29 18.8% 1 18.8%
3 28 14.2% 1   14.2%
4 27 10.7% 1   10.7%
5 26 8.1% 1   8.1%
6 25 6.2% 2   6.2%
7 24 4.7% 3 4.7%   
8 23 3.6% 4 3.6%   
9 22 2.7% 5 2.7%   
10 21 2.1% 6 2.1%   
11 20 1.5% 7 1.5%   
12 19 1.1% 8 1.1%   
13 18 0.8% 9 0.8%   
14 17 0.5% 10 0.5%   
   Total 42.0% 18.8% 39.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
You know that you can only move up a maximum of 5 spots in the draft right? That means if we remain in 2nd, we only have to worry about 3-7 winning the lottery.

How is my math wrong? Please let me know.
Actual its only 4 spots as the top 5 teams are only eligible to move up to first place. Remember when we picked 6th overall and got gagner? We did not have a chance of picking 1st overall that season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You can only move up five spots in the lottery. So if someone wins that is say past the seventh pick it wont affect the top picks at all.
again the lotto winner only move up 4 spots, so 3rd-6th winning would be the only ones that knock the 2nd pick down to 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Not that I claim to know the rules of the lottery backwards and forwards, but there are a few things I'm certain of:

1) You can only move up 5 spots, which means only 1-5 has any chance of picking 1st.

2) You can only move down 1 spot. So, if the Oilers remain in 2nd, they will be picking anywhere from 1-3.
Again winning the Lotto only moves you up 4 spots, if it moved you up 5 spots then 6th place would have a chance to pick first as well.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
alexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
There is a lot of miss information in this thread about the draft lottery.

etc.etc.
Nice work on the table.

Old
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
Nice work on the table.
Haha thanks and nice work on editing my quote, ect. ect. ect.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
alexo

Didn't need to take up 3/4s of the page quoting you

Old
01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
and the guys who are saying at top 3 pick? no--if you are saying 1,2.3 no problem--but if you that 4,5.6 and 7 make you a winner as well no bet--I am willing to bet someone who believes the oilers will get a top 3 pick--but not given the 4 to 7 picks away as part of any bet--if you say they will finish bottom 3 in the league then stick with the bottom 3--both 4th to 7 is not bottom 3

you can just say you had your BS "the oilers will pick 8-10th, book it" guess called.

that works too