HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please don't be penciling Hall into our lineup!

Old
01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
....and 81.2% chance of picking in the top 3 (and Fowler would be an unbelievable consolation prize..)
100% chance. The odds I posted were of winning the lotto.

You can only go down 1 slot at most.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Whoa Nelly.

I'm not the Eastern media.

I was merely expressing my opinion.

The biggest issue facing the Oilers in the next while is that Penner and Hemsky both become free agents in the next two years and I can't think of one good reason why they would want to re-sign with the Oilers.

And other teams have more cap space to sign them.
Whether they would re-sign would likely depend on how the young talent looks. The Pens still sucked immediately after Crosby showed up, but I bet the vets could see the writing on the wall and were willing to stick around. That said, we don't have a Crosby en route. Still, MPS, Eberle, Peckham, Hartikainen, Lander, and Petry provide some nice prospect depth with the potential for 1-2 impact players. Add Hall/Seguin/Fowler and one of the top 5 prospects from 2011 and it's a nice pool.

Getting value for Hemsky would be tough, I think he's under-rated both locally and league wide. He's also worth the price of admission all by himself, even on a bad team, IMO. Penner, otoh, is likely a good trade option. He's likely my favorite Oiler (even last year), but he's likely producing as well as he ever will. He'll have significant value, and given the team is unlikely to contend in his window, I'd be looking to move him if the return was significant.

I'd keep Hemsky, Gagner, Brule, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Smid, Horcoff (no real choice), Potulny, Stortini, and Stone (and Pisani if he seems healthy and will sign for league min) and unload as much as possible of the rest for youth and defensively responsible veterans on decent contracts. Suck for 2-3 years then see where we sit. But I'm also not a season ticket holder.

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
....and 81.2% chance of picking in the top 3 (and Fowler would be an unbelievable consolation prize..)
Umm if they finish with the 2nd overall pick then they have a 100% chance of ending up with a top 3 pick.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya View Post
Whether they would re-sign would likely depend on how the young talent looks. The Pens still sucked immediately after Crosby showed up, but I bet the vets could see the writing on the wall and were willing to stick around. That said, we don't have a Crosby en route. Still, MPS, Eberle, Peckham, Hartikainen, Lander, and Petry provide some nice prospect depth with the potential for 1-2 impact players. Add Hall/Seguin/Fowler and one of the top 5 prospects from 2011 and it's a nice pool.

Getting value for Hemsky would be tough, I think he's under-rated both locally and league wide. He's also worth the price of admission all by himself, even on a bad team, IMO. Penner, otoh, is likely a good trade option. He's likely my favorite Oiler (even last year), but he's likely producing as well as he ever will. He'll have significant value, and given the team is unlikely to contend in his window, I'd be looking to move him if the return was significant.

I'd keep Hemsky, Gagner, Brule, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Smid, Horcoff (no real choice), Potulny, Stortini, and Stone (and Pisani if he seems healthy and will sign for league min) and unload as much as possible of the rest for youth and defensively responsible veterans on decent contracts. Suck for 2-3 years then see where we sit. But I'm also not a season ticket holder.

Let's say a team like LA comes calling at UFA time.

If you're Penner or Hemsky what would would you do?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:

Lets say the Oilers get one of Hall, Seguin or Fowler and say Eberle and MPS are with the big club and look very promising (also Lander and Hartkanien look like very good prospects), who's to say that by the time Hemsky and Penner's contracts are up that the Oilers aren't one of the most dangerous up and coming young teams, why would they want to jump ship then?
Also, Hemsky took a discount to stay with the Oilers because he loves playing here so why wouldn't he re-sign.
It's all speculative but things can POSSIBLY turn around in a hurry here with all the young talent coming up and with the impending high draft pick.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
dubya

Quote:

Two years is a long time, especially for a young team. See St. Louis this year vs last spring. Now, I'm pretty sure Penner would rather be in LA even if they suck, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, the Oilers have bigger concerns than hypotheticals two years down the road

Regardless, I don't let either get to UFA. I'd probably look to trade Penner this year at the deadline or draft if the return was inflated, and Hemsky I'd evaluate during his last year. Extension or trade before the deadline.

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
100% chance of picking in the top 3 if they finished 29th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I trade the entire triumvirate of Penner, Hemsky and Souray, and try and package two of the three together for maximum return. The Kings could certainly afford it- Frolov, O'Donnell, Schenn and a pick or D prospect for Penner and Souray might fly. A team like Buffalo also has the cap space and those same two would completely change the face of the team.

Other teams that have the space:

NYI- More likely a summer deal. I've proposed it before and got ripped for it, but if the Isles finish say 10th... would they trade that for two top-line forwards?

Penner-Tavares-Hemsky. That's a magical line.
Are you high?
Penner, Hemsky and Souray for an impending UFA, depth defenseman, forward prospect that was underwhelming at the WJCs, and a D prospect/pick? Penner and Hemsky for a 1st? Hemsky alone would garner more than #10 overall.

Last edited by Ramrod: 01-10-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Lets say the Oilers get one of Hall, Seguin or Fowler and say Eberle and MPS are with the big club and look very promising (also Lander and Hartkanien look like very good prospects), who's to say that by the time Hemsky and Penner's contracts are up that the Oilers aren't one of the most dangerous up and coming young teams, why would they want to jump ship then?
Also, Hemsky took a discount to stay with the Oilers because he loves playing here so why wouldn't he re-sign.
It's all speculative but things can POSSIBLY turn around in a hurry here with all the young talent coming up and with the impending high draft pick.
IMHO the window to improve is 3-5 years IF Lowbellini have a clue.

They don't.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya View Post
Two years is a long time, especially for a young team. See St. Louis this year vs last spring. Now, I'm pretty sure Penner would rather be in LA even if they suck, but that's just my opinion. Anyway, the Oilers have bigger concerns than hypotheticals two years down the road

Regardless, I don't let either get to UFA. I'd probably look to trade Penner this year at the deadline or draft if the return was inflated, and Hemsky I'd evaluate during his last year. Extension or trade before the deadline.
A very prudent strategy.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
IMHO the window to improve is 3-5 years IF Lowbellini have a clue.

They don't.
If Lowbellini had a clue then they should be able to turn this thing around in about 2 years, we'll see.
I'm willing to give Tambellini the rest of this season and the offseason to see what he's got, it's crunch time for him.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:52 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
If Lowbellini had a clue then they should be able to turn this thing around in about 2 years, we'll see.
I'm willing to give Tambellini the rest of this season and the offseason to see what he's got, it's crunch time for him.
2 years?

I'd be very interested in seeing your blueprint.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
2 years?

I'd be very interested in seeing your blueprint.
Keep some of the good vets around like Hemsky, Penner and Visnovsky.....
Try to trade Souray either by the deadline or most likely in the offseason to clear cap space and get a god prospect and draft pick.....
Let the other vets like Comrie, Moreau and Pisani walk or try to trade them for a bag of beans by the deadline....
Trade the redundacy, Cogs, O'Sullivan or Nilsson, Grebs or Gilbert for guys who can possibly fill a hole like a good young center (Horton) or a shutdown DMan....
Keep developing young promising guys like Gagner, Brule and Smid....
Draft Hall, Seguin or Fowler Bring up Eberle next year and MPS the year after....
Sign low to mid end veteran free agents who can possibly outperform their contracts.
Hope like hell that Khabibulin stays relatively healthy or make a pitch for a goalie like Halak in the offseason.
Stay the hell away from guys like Jagr, do not chase the Kovalchuk wet dream...
Too bad i'm not GM but i believe that a lot of these moves are realistic.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:05 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Keep some of the good vets around like Hemsky, Penner and Visnovsky.....
Try to trade Souray either by the deadline or most likely in the offseason to clear cap space and get a god prospect and draft pick.....
Let the other vets like Comrie, Moreau and Pisani walk or try to trade them for a bag of beans by the deadline....
Trade the redundacy, Cogs, O'Sullivan or Nilsson, Grebs or Gilbert for guys who can possibly fill a hole like a good young center (Horton) or a shutdown DMan....
Keep developing young promising guys like Gagner, Brule and Smid....
Draft Hall, Seguin or Fowler Bring up Eberle next year and MPS the year after....
Sign low to mid end veteran free agents who can possibly outperform their contracts.
Hope like hell that Khabibulin stays relatively healthy or make a pitch for a goalie like Halak in the offseason.
Stay the hell away from guys like Jagr, do not chase the Kovalchuk wet dream...
Too bad i'm not GM but i believe that a lot of these moves are realistic.
Looks like a Tampa Bay rebuild to me.

How do you think your team will fare against the Hawks?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:06 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Looks like a Tampa Bay rebuild to me.

How do you think your team will fare against the Hawks?
Ok, what would you do?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Ok, what would you do?
Sell every asset that will not be part of a contending team 5 years from now.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:12 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
So basically trade away every vet and leave a team full of young guys and hope that they pan out.... So you're basically willing to wait 5-7 more years of rebuild?

Old
01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Even the Zambonis?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:18 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
Whoa Nelly.

I'm not the Eastern media.

I was merely expressing my opinion.

The biggest issue facing the Oilers in the next while is that Penner and Hemsky both become free agents in the next two years and I can't think of one good reason why they would want to re-sign with the Oilers.

And other teams have more cap space to sign them.

plz remind me when did souray say he wants out of edmonton , never once did he say thats... the guy tried to help our team out with a classy move unlike other players unwilling to waive there NTC to help their teams out

this is why i hate some of my fellow oiler fans how can we expect other team fans to no this when our own fans dont know it

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:24 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
So basically trade away every vet and leave a team full of young guys and hope that they pan out.... So you're basically willing to wait 5-7 more years of rebuild?
Which vets do you think will be useful when the Oilers are contenders?

Sure, keep them.

Oh wait, no one.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:24 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
Nice to see you back DSF, when exactly did Souray say he wants out, I never did see any actual proof, only opinions. As for the others, your wager's as good as the next guys. If in fact it is true, then we should trade Hemsky while he's still worth something, along with the others.

One thing my son and I have been discussing, if the Oilers do go into a rebuild, whats stopping Gagner, Cog's, etc from moving on as well. Then what will we have? A whole bunch more rookies to start again.
Gagner is one player i would not let go of, some people think that he isnt a big part of this but they forget he is only 20 give him some time he fill become a very good first line center then we can build around him and the player we get at the draft

then there is cogs we are misusing him if were goin to play him like this next season let the kid go
if not because of his lack of faceoff skills we move him to the wing on either 1st or second line give him decent line mates with a scoring touch and big frame and he would be great his speed could make him a great playmaker off the wing

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:25 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
plz remind me when did souray say he wants out of edmonton , never once did he say thats... the guy tried to help our team out with a classy move unlike other players unwilling to waive there NTC to help their teams out

this is why i hate some of my fellow oiler fans how can we expect other team fans to no this when our own fans dont know it
Souray is a class act and what he says in public doesn't always reveal what he says behind closed doors.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:25 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Which vets do you think will be useful when the Oilers are contenders?

Sure, keep them.

Oh wait, no one.

As i said, i would keep Visnovsky and Penner for sure Oh and Hemsky too
I would love to keep Souray too but we should trade him before he declines any further

Old
01-10-2010, 11:28 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Souray is a class act and what he says in public doesn't always reveal what he says behind closed doors.
Do you know what he said behind closed doors? Do tell, PM me if you have some inside info.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:31 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
As i said, i would keep Visnovsky and Penner for sure Oh and Hemsky too
I would love to keep Souray too but we should trade him before he declines any further
Visnovsky will be 38 years old at best when the Oilers are contenders and I'm sure Penner and Hemsky will flee at the earliest opportunity.

Old
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Visnovsky will be 38 years old at best when the Oilers are contenders and I'm sure Penner and Hemsky will flee at the earliest opportunity.
Where's proof that the said players you said want out actually want out. There is no proof other than the stupidy of the once again "everyone wants out of Edmonton" garbage that's once again spewed.

By proof I want a link where these said players said that they want out. Nothing else will be proof that they said it.