HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hoggan sent back to San Antonio - Upshall back tuesday?

Old
01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Not anymore. The only way you can tell a real journalist anymore is by his unemployment stubs.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't really want to be involved in this but I do have a question. What constitutes "press" or "media"? I thought you had to have some credentials before you had that title. Perhaps I'm just ignorant.
Essentially a member of an accredited or established publication (online, magazine, newspaper, etc) who is sent out to cover a given assignment or story.

I run my own show in startup mode and hire freelancers when I need it. I've covered so many things around town from music festivals, to Luis Gonzales's Retirement press conference, Concerts, the PBR Open, Greenbuild, movies, Barrett-Jackson, Food Festivals and other local entertainment events.

My main challenge that I've faced so far is 'new kid on the block' syndrome' where people aren't familiar with what I'm trying to do with my publication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I hope you see this as feedback because honestly I have no problem with you. I agree with what ZZ said though, unless you have an interesting take on analysis, then there isn't much value to it. We all have our own levels of analysis that we offer. It'd be nice to see something offered that was unique in itself. I've seen the articles grading the Coyotes, I've seen the press releases and other articles on the site -- when it comes down to it I only go to give you benefit of the doubt as a poster on this site. Once you burn through your goodwill you are losing interest unless you develop more engaging content. That's the point I'm at, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

When I hear something is interesting on your site, then I might check it out again, but at this point you've lost me as a casual observer.
So let me ask you this with all sincerity? What's engaging to you? Controversy (a la Canadian Media coverage)? Something else?

Last edited by Dolemite: 01-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
pyregretzky

Who would have thought Jeff Hoggan being demoted would have raised such animosity?

What is the address of z4 blog and the other Coyotes blogs?

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
Who would have thought Jeff Hoggan being demoted would have raised such animosity?
I'm actually digging this (Yakko's outbursts excluded). I love the feedback I'm getting here.

Old
01-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
So let me ask you this with all sincerity? What's engaging to you? Controversy (a la Canadian Media coverage)? Something else?
Tell me something I can't see with my own eyes, that I don't already know about. Granted this is also the most challenging type of content to produce, but it's going to be the only thing that sets you apart from the rest.

I'm not interested in obscure analysis, I can do that on my own if I was interested enough in the topic to research it.

Unfortunately, I think you have to have an in with the team which is what makes some of the content from David Vest and Jim Gintonio more interesting. That is what has made Z4's blog interesting at times, because she has been able to get exclusive interviews, or attended events that were not covered otherwise.

Basically, look at what everyone else is reporting and find something new or creative.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
SR

Quote:
I'm actually digging this (Yakko's outbursts excluded). I love the feedback I'm getting here.
Dole, I by no means wanted to start an outburst like this. I was just strictly stating that everytime something so simple is published, you feed it through your site, when most, if not all of it is available on the Coyotes website.

As most said, I have zero problem with you posting your link. I think it is a little redundant, but hey, if it garners some sort of traffic, from lets say Gagnefan, or some other new peeps, so be it.

I have yet to read Z4s blog, but I have heard hers is done quite well, with her own info.

I was the one that broke the news about Phoenix Signing Mitch Fritz to a try out, but that was because I asked GMDM at a morning skate what he was going to do with the team toughness. No one knew he was going to, and no one had any idea (except RT, which for some reason he must have drank a bottle of louie 13 and somehow became able to see the future, by guessing)

I have nothing against you personally. I was just stating the obvious, thats all.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
knowsthegame

So Dolemite has a new Coyotes website. How can that be so bad? Why do we want to make it harder than it already is for start up businesses? God bless America.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
pyregretzky

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but Upshall practiced today without any visible sign of injury and looked pretty solid.

Aucoin won the shootout contest they did(Anders Eriksson was one of the finalists too)

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
RR

Quote:
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but Upshall practiced today without any visible sign of injury and looked pretty solid.

Aucoin won the shootout contest they did(Anders Eriksson was one of the finalists too)
Awesome news! Moss told the AC Saturday the club expected him out another 7-10 days. Guess Uppy said BS to that!

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:

What is the address of z4 blog and the other Coyotes blogs?
If you thought this was bad, you should have saw the 30+ plus useless Joe Thornton threads in the NHL General Talk section a few weeks ago.
And I thought the random puckbunny obsession of Crosby was bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Awesome news! Moss told the AC Saturday the club expected him out another 7-10 days. Guess Uppy said BS to that!
Looks like someone was right after all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
01-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Not anymore. The only way you can tell a real journalist anymore is by his unemployment stubs.
Unless she happens to be sexy.

I hope you didn't lose your current job even though you said you hated it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
PhoPhan

That job had nothing to do with journalism, unfortunately. The state of the industry is such that, even with hundreds of clips, a sparkling resume, a bunch of awards, and entry-level salary demands, I couldn't even get an interview anywhere.

As for the job I did have, I quit a few weeks ago and will be moving to Georgia on the 22nd to write a book, something I wouldn't have been able to do had I not worked for six months and lived at home rent-free. So there's that.

Old
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
That job had nothing to do with journalism, unfortunately. The state of the industry is such that, even with hundreds of clips, a sparkling resume, a bunch of awards, and entry-level salary demands, I couldn't even get an interview anywhere.

As for the job I did have, I quit a few weeks ago and will be moving to Georgia on the 22nd to write a book, something I wouldn't have been able to do had I not worked for six months and lived at home rent-free. So there's that.
Best of luck with your book. Let's hope for a best seller. Always willing to buy a copy.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Stump

Quote:

Tell us about the book.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
PhoPhan

I'd love to, but let's move it to the OT thread.

Old
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Essentially a member of an accredited or established publication (online, magazine, newspaper, etc) who is sent out to cover a given assignment or story.

I run my own show in startup mode and hire freelancers when I need it. I've covered so many things around town from music festivals, to Luis Gonzales's Retirement press conference, Concerts, the PBR Open, Greenbuild, movies, Barrett-Jackson, Food Festivals and other local entertainment events.

My main challenge that I've faced so far is 'new kid on the block' syndrome' where people aren't familiar with what I'm trying to do with my publication.

You really need to make your site more visually appealing if you expect anyone to return for more than a glance. It's down right painful to look at right now. Also, I'm not sure if it's my version of IE or what, but everything seems disorganized and info is difficult to find.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Lookie dat. Called it (Upshall's Return).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
You really need to make your site more visually appealing if you expect anyone to return for more than a glance. It's down right painful to look at right now. Also, I'm not sure if it's my version of IE or what, but everything seems disorganized and info is difficult to find.
What version of IE are you using? I'll check it out.

The site is optimzed for just about every browser including ones on mobile phones.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR17 View Post
(except RT, which for some reason he must have drank a bottle of louie 13 and somehow became able to see the future, by guessing)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day, no matter how drunk the clock is.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
yakko

Quote:
That makes me want to buy a six pack and find out.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR17 View Post
Dole, I by no means wanted to start an outburst like this. I was just strictly stating that everytime something so simple is published, you feed it through your site, when most, if not all of it is available on the Coyotes website.
Well, if you note on the AZ Republic's website, they do the same thing too. Like them, it's a new site. Not all news is gonna be earth shattering or long for that matter.

Besides, investigative articles (working on a few at the moment) take time to put together.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
That makes me want to buy a six pack and find out.
You know, I've been asking around why more Coyotes fans don't come here and post. The majority of them have said that there's a handful of asshats here in this forum that ruin their experience. I'm beginning to see what they mean. Great job to those of you who contribute to this!

At a time that the Coyotes need new fans to come 'round, the last thing this forum needs are a few, uneducated vocal posters discouraging new Coyotes fans from posting.

Old
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
You know, I've been asking around why more Coyotes fans don't come here and post. The majority of them have said that there's a handful of asshats here in this forum that ruin their experience. I'm beginning to see what they mean. Great job to those of you who contribute to this!
I've seen far fewer asshats here than other coyotes focused boards(pretty sure I've been to all of them). Thus the reason I am here.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I've seen far fewer asshats here than other coyotes focused boards(pretty sure I've been to all of them). Thus the reason I am here.
I'm just relaying what I've been told from new and even former posters here. That's all.

Old
01-13-2010, 12:45 AM
yakko

Quote:
You know, I've been asking around why more Coyotes fans don't come here and post. The majority of them have said that there's a handful of asshats here in this forum that ruin their experience. I'm beginning to see what they mean.
I'm sure you'd know asshats. You were a troll, mocking and belittling the Coyotes for quite some time before you started up your blog.

In case you missed it, rt was actually engaging in a little self-deprecating humor. If that sort of thing would keep certain posters away, that's probably fine since they don't have a sense of humor anyway, and that's no fun at all.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
The majority of them have said that there's a handful of asshats here in this forum that ruin their experience. I'm beginning to see what they mean. Great job to those of you who contribute to this!
Good job. So you're looking to this site to promote your blog and yet you call people on this site uneducated asshats. Please enlighten us oh mighty one. What will your next professional journalistic "insiders" prophecy be?

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=513252

Maybe you and Ek can join forces to waste people's time.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote