HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'Rent' time for Rangers

Old
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
Not fair to say they haven't beaten anyone. The whole conference is pretty weak. I think some people need to take note of this. So it's hard to judge in a way how good the Rangers are or this streak they've been on.
We know they aren't as good as the Caps Penguins or even the Devils and Buffalo. Although the latter 2 imo they can play with. Everyone else in the conference the Rangers could play with too.
Note* Well see where the Flyers end up at. Their talent says they should be elite but your record is what it is.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
darko

Trading Prospal and Higgins is a no brainer IMO. These two could fetch a 2nd and 3rd rounders respectively. If we can get a good deal we should also move Girardi. I highly doubt that we can get late 1st rounder for him. If we could well you just have to pull the trigger.

Trade Kotalik and Rozsival as well, not sure who would want them right now.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This is ridiculous.

Brooks is right on. I still think the team can make the playoffs without Prospal/Higgins/Girardi. Thats how bad the East is. Why not build a return from this pending free agents and you can still take a shot with the Gaborik/Lundqvist combination?

Dont let this recent string against some truly terrible teams fool you.
No it's really not ridiculous. (Sorry to pick on you BRB because I could have quoted 3 or 4 other posters.)

What kind of a message do you send to Gaborik, Lundqvist, Stall and Callahan if you start selling off parts when you are in a playoff race? From my experience in hockey I can tell you there is no bigger boost to a team than going into the locker room in February and showing the team your committment by bringing in players. The opposite is true. In 3-4 years, Gaborik and Lundqvist could both be broken down or in The King's case, worn out from standing on his head every night.

With all due repsect to Goride Clark et. al., the players we would be drafting this year won't be helping the team win for 3-4 years. I could be dead by then. So could you.

Yeah, I'd take a first for Girardi IF management thought the guys in Hartford (at least some of them) were ready. Based on the inconsistent record and performances down there, I just don't know. And I'd take a 1st for Prospal if someone was crazy enough to offer one. But you won't see the Rangers ship out other veterans for 2nd and 3rd round draft choices. Ain't happening for good reasons.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
nexusrage21

Let's tank, because if we make the playoffs, we aren't guaranteed to win anything.

And selling assets and tanking guarantees us absolutely that we will be super good in the future....? Doesn't it?

I'm not against trading players for value, no matter what position we are in, but it isn't the automatic solution people think it is.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Chief

Better headline would've been: "What To Write On A Slow News Day"

Sorry, but I can't take this article seriously. The key factor in Larry's plan is that the Rangers come to the conclusion that Girardi is NOT a top 4 Dman but yet there will be a team out there willing to trade a #1 for this non-top 4 Dman.

Other than that the article comes down to the Rangers getting a 2nd and 3rd rounder for Prospal and Higgins (if you could get that much) and how those picks will somehow be key components to a Cup contender in - what? - 4, 5 or 6 years.

Spare me. The Rangers shouldn't be selling off the farm. Instead, they should be looking to make smart deals in general and maybe a couple of moves to bolster the team for a PO run.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
What kind of a message do you send to Gaborik, Lundqvist, Stall and Callahan if you start selling off parts when you are in a playoff race?
The message sent is that goal is for this organization to win a Stanley Cup instead of two or three playoff games. The name on the front of the sweater is more important than any of the names on the back. The culture around here seems to me that the playoffs is the end goal instead of making it all the way through them. So make the tough decision that professionals who do this for a living are supposed to be able to recognize and make when they need to be made. All that said of course, I fall back onto my previous post that it is too early in the season for this talk. By the olympic break, this team should be able to clearly diagnose what they have here and make the appropriate call.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
XthedoodX

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Girardi - How much are we expecting for him to ask? He's been a pretty good d man and I'm not sure we want to get rid of one of the TWO experienced but not hideously overpaid d men on this team to bring up another rookie, giving us a d corps that is half rookies. I think we should hold onto him for dear life hoping to dump redden and/or rozy and free up the cap space and get an older, underperforming d off the roster. Bringing up a rookie to replace one of them, redden especially, is a step in the right direction while bringing up a rookie to replace Girardi just means that were going to need to bring in another one or two as soon as we can dump the huge d contracts, which should really be our first priority. I say hold onto him. Him and Staal have been holding it down recently and moving him especially for a pick is going to haunt us.
I agree on Girardi, I really don't want to get rid of him. he blocks a ton of shots and is a stay at home defenseman, we only have one other w the team now in staal who is any good at defense. I think losing girardi will really expose how weak we are at defense. Girardi s not flashy and make mistakes from time to time, but we need him and i don't want to deal him unless we are getting back a really good return. If not I hope we keep him and re-sign him to a fair contract and dump redden over the summer or deal rozy.

XthedoodX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
NYR Viper

I see no reason to move Girardi. He is what he is, a solid 2nd pairing defensive d-man who can hit and block shots. If the Rangers want to make room for the younger players than they need to move Rozsival and/or Redden. Why move the better, or at least on par with, younger player who will make less money? He still has some room to grow, let him do so for this team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
When is that? After the Devils, the Rangers have 6 consecutive games against teams below them in the standings. All 7 of these games are winnable.

And to be fair, they beat Boston twice last week. By Eastern Conference standards, they are the "tougher" competition.
Boston was without Bergeron for 1.5 games (got hurt in the 2nd period in NY) and without Savard for the last game.

Not saying that their inclusion changes anything, just pointing out that they are without centers No.'s 1 and 2

I guess this team just has me jaded and a total non-believer because when I look at this team I see holes up front and on D and know (feel) that they are going to be exposed again as a very shallow team not capable of generating much of anything outside of what Gaborik creates.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
NYRSchrute217

I'm not necessarily anti-selling, but anyone who'd give up a first for Girardi is insane

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
NYR Viper

If I am Sather I would be quietly shopping some players. Higgins, Prospal, Voros, Brashear, Rozsival, Redden(the latter-2 most likely wouldn't be moved) to see what some teams would be offering. Most of those players aren't going to be in the Rangers long-term plans so why let them either walk-for-free or need to be moved later on.

The Rangers need to have their eyes set on the next 3-4 years and need to decide that if a trade were to occur today, would it increase their chances of being a legitimate Stanley Cup caliber team in the future. Its a hard decision to make considering where they are in the standings but if they have a negligible chance of winning this year, they should look to next season so that they continue to take steps forward.

Old
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
OverTheCap

Burnside dismisses the notion that Glen would do anything rational to help our future at the deadline, per ESPN chat:

Quote:
There are talks that the rangers are looking to deal, who do u see them dealing for ?

Scott Burnside
(5:00 PM)
Well, I think they'd like to unload Rozsival or Redden but that's not going to happen unless GM Glen Sather is going to move some youth, too, which he should be unwilling to do. You hear Chris Higgins or Vinny Prospal who should be back from injury this week. But that supposes Sather is looking beyond the end of this season and he has not shown to a man of vision since coming to New York so I don't expect much of consequence to happen with the Rangers.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Anyone think a deal revolving around Girardi for Cogliano is a possibility?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
That'd make me very happy.

But I don't see why Edmonton would want to make the deal.

I think a guy like Cogliano has some serious upside if we paired him with Gaborik.

He's having a bad year, but I'd think they can do better than Girardi.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 11:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I hope they're sellers.

Higgins, Kotalik, Prospal, Rozsival, Redden.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:27 AM
TylerDurden

People wanting to throw the season...now? Retarded.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
First for Girardi.
Second and sixth for Prospal.
Third and seventh for Higgins.
Third for Rosie. (2 years, $7 left, which is better than any UFA would be)
Fourth for Kotalik.
Fifth for Brash.

This would give us two picks in every round. Pipe dream? Yes, definitely. Would this help the team big-time long term? Absolutely.

With 14 picks, Slats would be able to take more high-risk stabs at players with potentially high-return. If we wound up with another pair like Dubi and Callahan from the 2010 draft, we would be in beautiful shape by mid-decade to win it all.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 04:26 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
First for Girardi.
Fourth for Kotalik.
Fifth for Brash.

This would give us two picks in every round. Pipe dream? Yes, definitely. Would this help the team big-time long term? Absolutely.

With 14 picks, Slats would be able to take more high-risk stabs at players with potentially high-return. If we wound up with another pair like Dubi and Callahan from the 2010 draft, we would be in beautiful shape by mid-decade to win it all.
As it's been pointed out, the only way we deal Girardi is if we come to the conclusion he is not a top 4 dman, which means nobody really would be giving up a first for him. If someone offers a first, you take it and run. Then you go to the nearest phone and call that GM on the phone, and when he answers you go: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!"

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 04:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I am not all for throwing the season, but I am for trying to move some dead-weight that shouldnt be part of this team next year. It will open up some spots for next season and the Rangers may actually be able to move some players who may not be retained like Higgins, Girardi and Prospal(although I would keep the latter 2).

Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, Rozsival and Redden would be the players I would try to move.

Old
01-12-2010, 05:17 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
First for Girardi.
Fourth for Kotalik.
Fifth for Brash.

A first for Girardi?
Never happen.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Burnside dismisses the notion that Glen would do anything rational to help our future at the deadline, per ESPN chat:
Scott Burnside? What does he know about anything?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Cogliano is a midget. Besides Edmonton has more than enough dollars tied up on defense that they really don't need another big contract on defense. People call Christiansen a "tweener". Cogliano is the ultimate "tweener". Hey he is a fast skater. Where is the rest of his game? His production has gone down each season. If he doesn't produce offensively and can't play on the 3rd/4th lines,what is Cogliano?

Old
01-12-2010, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

When someone proposes trading Girardi,it's not because someone hates him or Girardi is going to be punished due to the Rangers other contracts on defense. Forget about the other contracts on the team. The Rangers need to look at just Girardi. Is he worth what a group III defenseman will receive in the open market? Just because the Rangers gave Rozsival $20 million and Redden $39 million doesn't mean the Rangers should give Girardi $20 million. Don't compound your mistakes. People are funny here. When Girardi was struggling early in the season,trade him,get rid of him. Now it's the opposite. You can't run a team like that.

Old
01-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
A first for Girardi?
Never happen.
Then again, Brenden Witt was traded for a first round pick, and I thought that was incredibly retarded at the time

Not that I think Girardi would get the same return...

But Sather isn't mortgaging the future by not trading these guys, and he's not ignoring future development of the team by not trading players for mediocre draft picks (lets be honest, anything outside of the first round is a mediocre draft pick because you have no idea what you're going to get).

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 08:04 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Cogliano is a midget. Besides Edmonton has more than enough dollars tied up on defense that they really don't need another big contract on defense. People call Christiansen a "tweener". Cogliano is the ultimate "tweener". Hey he is a fast skater. Where is the rest of his game? His production has gone down each season. If he doesn't produce offensively and can't play on the 3rd/4th lines,what is Cogliano?
I wasn't hoping for the trade or even recommending it. I remember reading rumors of the Rangers being interested in Cogs. This situation seems more plausible then dumping Danny for a pick to me. I just don't see Slats selling for picks.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote