HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Season Player Grades

Old
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Pred303

vCash: 500
Mid-Season Player Grades

mid-year grade time, basing these grades on both performance against expectations (first grade) and then overall team value (second grade)..

..erat.. A-/B+.. assumed he'd score 20 odd goals and have about 50 points.. and he's on track for 28 and 54,.. of course been very cold or very hot, but carried this team as much as anyone player for a long stretch though.
..dumont.. C+/B-.. had thought maybe 25 goals, and somewhere around 65 points. on pace for 14 and 52. been a little disappointing overall, after being the best forward we had the first 15 or so games
..arnott.. C+/B-.. had hoped for 30g, 65 pts.. on pace for 22g, 46 pts.. thought injuries really slowed him both times when he returned after he was forced to miss a few games.. another one of our guys who has been red hot for a good stretch of games, and now goalless for the last 9 games..
..legwand.. B-/ B.. expected around 20/50.. and he's on pace for almost exactly that. 18g/50pts.. him and erat have been our best two forwards the last 20 after being horrible the first 20 or so...
..sullivan..C+/B-.. hoped for 30g/65 pts.. on pace for 18g/48.. been valuable, but you still expect more.. like all 5 of our 'top' guys, been very hot and cold

..hornqvist.. A/B.. hoped for 15g/35 pts.. on pace for 26g/42 pts. been a major contributor, and a much better goalscorer than you could have asked for.. a very much needed positive surprise, who has scored many key goals already.
..ward.. B/B-.. had hoped for right at 15g/40 pts and he's on pace for 14g/42 pts, right there. a very valuable guy, him and hornqvist are what makes us so much touger for teams to play against then back when we were simply a perimeter team.
..goc.. A/B-.. had hoped for say 10g/20 pts and here he is on pace for 16g/32 pts.. our best positive surprise.

d-men
..weber.. C+/C+.. had mentally penciled in 20+goals and around 50 points.. on pace for 12g/42 points.. very good the first 20 games, very average the last 20.. can play so much better, have to assume the foot injury has really set him back these last 6 weeks, hasn't been the same since missing those couple games. expect great things from him down the stretch.
..suter.. B/A-.. expected right at 10g/40 pts, on pace for 4g/40 pts. easily has been our best dman this first half, in coverage, puckhandling and in decision making. asking him to play more than 24 minutes a game night after night..
..hamhuis.. C+/C.. point production right at where you would expect (8g/24pt pace).. as always the most difficult guy on the team to evaluate because one game he will be our best defender on ice and look like an allstar, and the next night will make 2/3 horrible turnovers.. his true weakness remains consistency handling the puck and making puck handling decisions... he's a good skater and stick man, should be far more consistent here

..bouillon.. B+/C+.. very pleasant surprise.. an excellent above average 3rd pair guy, and an adequate 2nd pair if needed.. other than suter has been the most consistent d-man we've iced in that you pretty much know what to expect night after night with him..
..klein.. C/C.. wildly inconsistent.. very strong one night, very poor in all aspects the next.. will admit he's been far better the last 20 games than the first.. has the skillset to be so much better, but not sure he has the hockey sense to back up that skillset..
..franson.. B-/C.. been a good surprise, thought he might still be at least another year away from the level he's playing right now.. very good hockey sense in that he seems to know his skating and puckhandling limitations and does a good job avoiding being put in bad situations because of those shortcomings... his team leading +9 demonstrates that as well as anything.

jump in and tell me what you think your 'grades' would be

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

For the most part, I agree with your grades and comments...though you're kinder to Dumont and Sullivan than I would be. I would rate both at no better than a middle C. For two of our highest paid players, their mental and physical investment in the team is alarmingly low. It's easy to say that sort of thing from my season tickets in 308 or from the comfort of my own home, but I've been watching Sullivan since his days in Chicago, and I'm familiar enough with Dumont as well...I know what they're capable of, and I know the kind of skill they have. The problem is that they're trying to play the game on skill alone. Arnott is guilty of this at times as well, but at least he'll shock you every now and then with a true effort play...a hustle to beat an icing, racing back on the forecheck, laying a hit, taking a hit-- the sort of things you very rarely, if ever, see from Sullivan and Dumont. Could it be that our identity, which catered to their particular styles in 06\07-- run and fun, fast paced, skill-based hockey--simply doesn't mesh with theirs, at this point? The guys that are succeeding...Legwand, Erat, Hornqvist...even Jones, Ward and Goc to an extent...are doing so because they're playing a bare-bones, nitty-gritty, puck possession based style of hockey. They're chipping in deep, winning the puck, and grinding out ugly goals. They're not the ones trying to carry over the blue line, set up, and dazzle opponents with marvelous cross-ice passes. We had the resources and personnel for that a few years back, but it's a different time. We've been forced to adapt our strategy, and sometimes it feels like those two guys might have been left behind.

I also think you were a little kinder in regard to Hamhuis than I would have been. The ratio of good games\plays to bad feels alarmingly slanted.

What would you rate the goalies? I'd put them both on about equal footing-- both have shown stretches of brilliance combined with streaks of mediocrity. Consistency remains their challenge, and as such I'd give both a B- \ C.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Webersmashpuck

Ill give the fowards a stab...

Arnott (C+)- Not the scoring threat he was last year, but has been good in flashes.

Dumont (C+) - He is scoring more than I thought but is just taking up ice space many times and his assists are down.

Sullivan (B) - While normally Id give him a C, I had much lower expectations for Sully than the other two on the first line and he has met those expectations, there are still times I want the old Sullivan back and I catch myself screaming at him.

Legwand (B-) - Started off brutally but rebounded with some good play.

Erat (A-) - See Legwand but Erat was playing the best hockey of his career.

Ward (A) - People considered Ward's last season a fluke and if he could replicate the numbers it would be amazing, he did, and he has also shown to me that all the people we blame for losses around here Joel Ward will never be one of them.

Smithson (A+) - If we said during the summer Smithson would be on the 2nd line most of the year we would have assumed the musty smell of the basement. Defensively amazing and finding some sort of hands as well as leaving everything on the ice.

Goc (A+) - Instead of one Legwand, teams now have to deal with two fast defensive centers who can be a threat to score. Goc is better at faceoffs and tends to have a bit more grit, but is not as offensively capable as Legwand. Still completely shatters my expectations of a 4th line center/rotating scratch.

Hornqvist (A+) - Huge pest and contributes even not on the score sheet while screening the goalie. Had no idea that he would score at this pace.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:21 AM
thejlb*

I know I'm new here, but I can't let it go. All I ever hear from everyone. Including the guy who has season tickets behind me, is Legwand sucks. Get rid of him already, and I swear to god I've heard the exact quote. Tootoo could do better then him.

I guess a b+ isn't bad. I think he's having a stellar year. How many games was Legwand babysitting the kids from Milwaukee at the begining of the season. I know hes had a few shootout winners and shootout goals.

Legwand is always gonna be around 20 goals. I'd like to see his assists jump up a little, his strength is leading the shut down line. He's constantly up against the other teams best line. I for one think he's the best guy to do it as well. As much as I liked Ward on the top line last year. I think he fits perfectly with legwand. Which is on the shut down line. The Columbus game is a great example what ward brings to that line. Great puck control even with 2 defenders on him.

Yes legwand is my favorite player by the way. I don't care what anybody says about.
Not trying to sound like a know it all either. Just seems to me people think he needs score more goals. I'd love to see legwand inbetween sullivan and dumont. Leading the scoring line. He's got a great shot. It's never gonna happen though, I realize that and its ok. I trust our shutdown line going toe to toe with the oppositions best line anyday.

Sorry for it being so long.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Sullivan has been disappointing pretty much all year. I could live with his timid play last year, but this year, without any production.....he has been virtually a liability on every shift. He gets a D from me.

Goc/Hornqvist/Ward - All get A's. Even though Ward received a bigger contract, I didn't expect a repeat of last year's performance. However, coming off an injury early on, he has been fantastic as a role-player/scorer. Goc......just look at his career stats - enough said. Hornqvist - way to prove them wrong buddy! He has an amazing work ethic.

Ellis/Rinne - C - average goaltending for the most part - great games mixed with absolutely horrid games.

Legwand/Erat - B........They have carried this team the past two months, but they were equally bad the first half. I would probably rate Legwand as a B+ because he has played so well defensively all year. Erat was just terrible the first 15 games or so. Now, they are just playing great, clutch hockey.

Suter - A+ - Our MVP
Weber - B+ - He can be better. Still, the combo of these two, can make us cup-contenders if Rinne returns to form IMO.

01-04-2010, 01:50 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Goc, Hornqvist, Ward, Suter, Smithson get A's from me.

Weber, Bouillon, Franson, Arnott get B's.

Legwand, Erat get C's because of their terrible start. Hamhuis, Klein, Dumont, Sullivan, Jones, Belak get C's.

Rinne/Ellis get low B/high C.

Sulzer, Tootoo - Incomplete.

PP- D because they did score a few and we're like 15-1-1 when we actually score a PPG.

PK- D because they do kill off a few.

Rookies - A. They all look good. Been especially impressed with Franson. All everyone ever said was that he looked terrible in camps and didn't impress. But he has stepped right in and not looked out of place at all. And Spaling, Thuresson have fit right in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejlb View Post
I know I'm new here, but I can't let it go. All I ever hear from everyone. Including the guy who has season tickets behind me, is Legwand sucks. Get rid of him already, and I swear to god I've heard the exact quote. Tootoo could do better then him.

I guess a b+ isn't bad. I think he's having a stellar year. How many games was Legwand babysitting the kids from Milwaukee at the begining of the season. I know hes had a few shootout winners and shootout goals.

Legwand is always gonna be around 20 goals. I'd like to see his assists jump up a little, his strength is leading the shut down line. He's constantly up against the other teams best line. I for one think he's the best guy to do it as well. As much as I liked Ward on the top line last year. I think he fits perfectly with legwand. Which is on the shut down line. The Columbus game is a great example what ward brings to that line. Great puck control even with 2 defenders on him.

Yes legwand is my favorite player by the way. I don't care what anybody says about.
Not trying to sound like a know it all either. Just seems to me people think he needs score more goals. I'd love to see legwand inbetween sullivan and dumont. Leading the scoring line. He's got a great shot. It's never gonna happen though, I realize that and its ok. I trust our shutdown line going toe to toe with the oppositions best line anyday.

Sorry for it being so long.
Yea another one, we're a growing minority!!

I know how you feel, I've heard it for years.

It will never change, most people think that because he was drafted #2 behind Vinny, he should be scoring just as much. A lot of those people only look at point totals and never see what he brings overall, especially defensively. Thankfully, most people here aren't like that. Some still can't stand him for other reasons, and that's fine, but they at least don't complain every single second about how he doesn't score every game.

I do wish he wouldn't have had such a bad start. But for all the complaining people did/do about him he is now tied for second for the team lead in points with 26, one point behind Erat. If him and Erat had a better start they would be way over 30 points by now.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:20 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Just a quick thought or two to add...
I think Weber has admitted he has had his mind on being named to Team Canada and that has messed with him perhaps as much as the foot injury the past couple of months. Notice the monster game Sat. night and Trotzy's comments? I expect he will have an incredible second half of the season (barring injury).
Smithson, Ward, and Goc have really helped carry this team with consistent play. Very few off nights for those guys. Erat and Legwand had a very weak start but got their games on track and have finally put together a good stretch of games thru November-Dec. Sullivan and Dumont are my disappointments to date. Both have tremendous talent. I agree some games they want to rely on the fancy play and night play the gritty game this team basically has to play and this can lead to trouble.
Then, the goaltending. That stat they showed the other night - I think it was 24 wins when the team scores two or more goals, that is huge. Defense and goaltending carry this team, that stat says it all.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Jason Arnott - B+ (Having accepted the fact that he's softer than warm butter, he has played well. I wish he could be more consistent, though.)
Steve Sullivan - C (His age is starting to show and his wheels are starting to go. Needs to take more shots, quit cherry picking, and quit turning the puck over.)
Jean-Pierre Dumont - B- (Seems to be coming back around after an early-December funk. Started off the season red-hot but wasn't able to sustain it.)
Martin Erat - B+ (Was playing like a world-beater before getting injured, but I can't fully forgive him for that awful first 15 or so games where he was a liability in both ends of the ice.)
David Legwand - A- (Started off slow offensively, but has been consistent in his own end, and he has been our best overall forward since mid-November.)
Joel Ward - A (Right where I expected him to be. The embodiment of our team culture.)
Jerred Smithson - A- (Love the energy he brings, and he seems better than ever on the penalty kill. I think it's only a matter of time before we give him a letter.)
Patric Hornqvist - A+ (I thought he would be lucky to score a dozen goals all season, and he has already surpassed that at the halfway pole. Gets battered and bruised and goes back for more, and he gives everything he has every night. He reminds me very much of Tomas Holmstrom.)
Jordin Tootoo - A (Playing the best offensive hockey of his career, and his absence has been very noticeable. He's a huge spark plug for us with his physical play, and now that he's able to contribute in the offensive end, his value to the team has skyrocketed.)
Marcel Goc - B+ (Probably the biggest surprise of the year. Lit it up in December, hopefully he can keep that form as we move closer to the Olympics. Looks like a good find for Poile and provides effective support to Arnott and Legwand up the middle.)
Ryan Jones - C (Had that great stretch of games after getting recalled and then disappeared again. Seems like he wants to be here, but hasn't really done anything to get himself noticed.)
Nick Spaling - B (I really like this guy. He works hard, controls the puck well, and has been solid on the penalty kill. I'd like to see him stick around on the fourth line for the rest of the year.)
Andreas Thuresson - B- (A human wrecking ball out there. I like the physical intensity, and his hands aren't made of pure granite. Might need a little more time in the AHL, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he'll stick next year.)
Mike Santorelli - F (A huge disappointment after such a fantastic training camp. I was hoping for at least 10-15 goals from him, and it doesn't look as though he'll even sniff that.)
Wade Belak - D (I can't help but feel that he's wasting a roster spot for Peter Olvecky or a similar player that could contribute more to the team.)
Dave Scatchard - C- (Didn't play poorly, but took several bad penalties that did not endear him to me nor, I suspect, to Trotz and the team. I suspect he's done with Nashville barring a rash of injuries, and will be looked upon to play a mentor role in Milwaukee.)

Shea Weber - C+ (Two years in a row now, Weber has started off in the stratosphere, and two years in a row, he has cooled off after about 20 games and been wholly average. Has to get that early form back by the Olympics, for Canada's sake, for Nashville's sake, and for his own sake.)
Ryan Suter - A (Has been our best defenseman by a healthy margin this year, if not our best player. Almost always in position, doesn't turn the puck over very often, and simply does not get beaten in coverage. I'd like to see slightly better offensive numbers, but he has been more than acceptable in that regard. I suspect the Olympics will be a big coming out party for him.)
Dan Hamhuis - C (Needs to pull up his skirt and hit somebody.)
Kevin Klein - D+ (He's basically Hamhuis minus any semblance of consistent positional play. Quit it with all the stick work and throw a few more body checks.)
Alexander Sulzer - B- (Hasn't played much, but has been pretty solid when he has played. Needs to get more comfortable with the puck.)
Cody Franson - B- (It's a small miracle that he can even skate, and he has had his share of defensive brain farts, but he looks more confident with the puck with each passing game. A player to watch in January.)
Francis Bouillon - B+ (This is the kind of guy I've been waiting for us to add for a while now. Gets caught watching every now and then, but he's just demolishing people out there. Call me a softy, but I can forgive the occasional mistake if a guy can funnel players into the boards and finish them off the way Bouillon does.)

Goatlending - B- (Both have had their moments, but neither has been able to take on the starting role with any consistency. One of them needs to get it together soon or we'll get eaten alive in April.)

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Late to the game...

That said, here are my grades.

David Singleton
HockeyIndependent.com

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote