Old
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
European Skaters:
1 - F - Mikael Granlund - HIFK (-92)
14 - F - Joonas Donskoi - Kärpät (-92)
17 - F - Teemu Pulkkinen - Jokerit (-92)
26 - F - Mikael Salmivirta - HIFK (-92)
34 - F - Petteri Halinen - Blues (-92)
39 - D - Aleksi Laakso - Blues (-90)
59 - F - Santtu Huhtala - TPS (-92)
60 - F - Charles Bertrand - Lukko (-91) - French
72 - F - Teemu Rautiainen - HPK (-92)
73 - F - Iiro Pakarinen - Kalpa (-91)
83 - D - Juuso Salmi - HIFK (-91)
84 - D - Teemu Eronen - Jokerit (-90)

European Goalies:
2 - GK - Sami Aittokallio - Ilves (-92)
Strange, Rautiainen is listed as 5’10 tall in this ranking, but in reality he’s 5’6. A nice prospect, but the chances of him getting drafted are almost nonexistent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My top-10 Finns, at the moment:
1 - F - Mikael Granlund - HIFK (-92) (Clearly the top prospect, there's no need for explanations.)
2 - F - Joonas Donskoi - Kärpät (-92) (Highly talented skill-wise, needs to work on his skating technique. His physical game is also lacking, but I think that it will improve greatly once he gets more experience from SM-liiga.)
3 - F - Teemu Pulkkinen - Jokerit (-92) (Still has more talent than Donskoi, but his development has almost halted. Is Pulkkinen already close to peaking? Perhaps it’s a premature question considering that he has been injured quite a lot during the last year, but it’s still somewhat worrying.)
4 - GK - Sami Aittokallio - Ilves (-92) (A bit inconsistent and perhaps not as agile as some of the top goalie prospects, but there’s still a nice base and frame to build on.)
5 - D - Aleksi Laakso - Blues (-90) (NHL teams are more and more looking for defenseman that can distribute the puck, so Laakso has a chance of getting drafted although he’s not a prototype NA defenseman.)
6 - F - Petteri Halinen - Blues (-92) (Far from convincing, but has size and some raw skills, so he could turn out to be good.)
7 - F - Iiro Pakarinen - Kalpa (-91) (I was sort of expecting him to get drafted last year, so lets give him another go. Definitely has some potential as a hard working 3rd/4th line winger.)
8 - D - Konsta Mäkinen - Ilves (-92) (Hardly any NHL potential, but I still think that he’s a name worth mentioning. Small but has some good offensive skills and could one day be an elite offensive defenseman.)
9 - F - Santtu Huhtala - TPS (-92) (Thin, skilled forward who might improve greatly once his physique develops.)
10 - F - Patrik Moisio - Ilves (-92) (Personally I like him more than for example Salmivirta, simply because he has more potential as a 3rd/4th line player.)

Overall a really weak draft class for Finland if you exclude the top names.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Pekka Jormakka - JyP/Diskos ('90)

Realize he has spent most of the season either in A juniors or Mestis, but how has his development progressed? Or do you see his size as his biggest obstacle in terms of making the move to the next level?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 03:46 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Realize he has spent most of the season either in A juniors or Mestis, but how has his development progressed? Or do you see his size as his biggest obstacle in terms of making the move to the next level?
I think so, and to be honest mayby the only reason.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

My top-10 Finns, at the moment:
1 - F - Mikael Granlund - HIFK (-92) (Clearly the top prospect, there's no need for explanations.)
2 - F - Joonas Donskoi - Kärpät (-92) (Highly talented skill-wise, needs to work on his skating technique. His physical game is also lacking, but I think that it will improve greatly once he gets more experience from SM-liiga.)
3 - F - Teemu Pulkkinen - Jokerit (-92) (Still has more talent than Donskoi, but his development has almost halted. Is Pulkkinen already close to peaking? Perhaps it’s a premature question considering that he has been injured quite a lot during the last year, but it’s still somewhat worrying.)
4 - GK - Sami Aittokallio - Ilves (-92) (A bit inconsistent and perhaps not as agile as some of the top goalie prospects, but there’s still a nice base and frame to build on.)
5 - D - Aleksi Laakso - Blues (-90) (NHL teams are more and more looking for defenseman that can distribute the puck, so Laakso has a chance of getting drafted although he’s not a prototype NA defenseman.)
6 - F - Petteri Halinen - Blues (-92) (Far from convincing, but has size and some raw skills, so he could turn out to be good.)
7 - F - Iiro Pakarinen - Kalpa (-91) (I was sort of expecting him to get drafted last year, so lets give him another go. Definitely has some potential as a hard working 3rd/4th line winger.)
8 - D - Konsta Mäkinen - Ilves (-92) (Hardly any NHL potential, but I still think that he’s a name worth mentioning. Small but has some good offensive skills and could one day be an elite offensive defenseman.)
9 - F - Santtu Huhtala - TPS (-92) (Thin, skilled forward who might improve greatly once his physique develops.)
10 - F - Patrik Moisio - Ilves (-92) (Personally I like him more than for example Salmivirta, simply because he has more potential as a 3rd/4th line player.)

Overall a really weak draft class for Finland if you exclude the top names.
Is this where I once again make a pitch for Jesse Jyrkio? ,

Actually, would love to know more about Laakso since he's surpassed Nakyva - at least in the eyes of the Blues staff (which would seem to know best). Also, I believe it was you who were mentioning defenseman Lauri Karmeniemi in the past but I see very little mention of him these days.

And of the HIFK forwards, any word on Teemu Tallberg? Or is he merely spending time with the men's team due to injury or absences?

On the surface, I do concur with your assessment that it might be a thin year for the home grown players in this year's draft.

On another post, it might be interesting to look at the players between 21 and 25 years who may sign free agent contracts - such as Pyorala and Pikkarainen did this past year.

Last edited by Tony Piscotta: 01-14-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Misspelled name
Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Is this where I once again make a pitch for Jesse Jyrkio? ,
I admit that that I was wrong about Jyrkkiö, but I still think that he’s not a NHL prospect. He’s still skinny and his overall game is far from convincing. If you are seeking for undrafted 89’s, Antti Raanta and Joonas Järvinen are IMO better alternatives.

Quote:
Actually, would love to know more about Laakso since he's surpassed Nakyva - at least in the eyes of the Blues staff (which would seem to know best).
Physically he’s still fairly far from a NHL defenseman and his defensive game also requires a lot of work, but hopefully experience will help with that. Offensively he’s in a similar situation as Joonas Lehtivuori was two years ago, almost everything seems to be working. Remains to be seen will his 2nd pro season bring difficulties once the good form wears out.

Quote:
Also, I believe it was you who were mentioning defenseman Lauri Karmeniemi in the past but I see very little mention of him these days.
I mentioned that Kärmeniemi had better puck skills and is better at supporting forwards, when Rissanen on the other hand is bigger and perhaps a bit better in his own end. – I think that this comparison is still valid, although I haven’t seen how Rissanen has progressed during this season in NA. As far as Kärmeniemi is concerned, I think that he has a chance of making the top-6 of HPK defence next season. At least he looked good in the U20-Mestis games.

Quote:
And of the HIFK forwards, any word on Teemu Tallberg? Or is he merely spending time with the men's team due to injury or absences?
U20 coach Jortikka mentioned that he liked the way Tallberg played as a 4th line winger, so I guess that he has some potential as a grinder. Iiro Pakarinen is a fairly similar prospect, but perhaps has a bit more offensive upside than Tallberg.

Quote:
On the surface, I do concur with your assessment that it might be a thin year for the home grown players in this year's draft.
Would be interesting to read what info you have gathered through your contacts or do we have to wait for end of the season?

Quote:
On another post, it might be interesting to look at the players between 21 and 25 years who may sign free agent contracts - such as Pyorala and Pikkarainen did this past year.
These are the one’s that came to my mind, but feel free to add other ones…
  • GK – Jussi Rynnäs - Ässät (-87) (195cm, 92kg) (16gp 2,43gaa 92,79S%) (Has played fairly well in SM-liiga and is in a somewhat similar situation career wise as Pekka Rinne was 6 years ago.)
  • D – Markus Seikola – Ilves (-82) (187cm, 92kg) (36gp 12g+15a=27p, -3) (If he wants to try his luck in NA, now would probably be the last chance to do so.)
  • D – Ville Lajunen – Blues (-88) (185cm, 86kg) (36gp 5g+16a=21p, -1) (Decent size and fairly talented offensively. Needs to improve defensively, but AHL could be the right place for learning.)
  • F – Teemu Ramstedt – HIFK (-87) (180cm, 85kg) (34gp 7g+24a=31p, +8) (Skilled and a fairly good playmaker. Playing on the same line with Granlund ensures that he has been noticed. Personally I hope that he stays in Finland for another season before trying his luck in NA.)
  • F – Jerry Ahtola – HIFK (-86) (192cm, 91kg) (32gp 17g+9a=26p, +10) (Another one of Granlund’s linemates. Personally I feel that he has benefited greatly from playing with Granlund and Ramstedt, but naturally a player this big will attract some attention.)
  • F – Miikka Tuomainen – Lukko (-86) (191cm, 107kg) (35gp 8g+6a=14p, +12). (Drafted in 2004, but he’s a free agent, right? Naturally there’s a lot of competition for these kinds of players in NA, but it would be nice to see how he would cope there.)

Old
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
[*]F – Miikka Tuomainen – Lukko (-86) (191cm, 107kg) (35gp 8g+6a=14p, +12). (Drafted in 2004, but he’s a free agent, right?[/LIST]
I don't think so. Draft rights were held indefinately when there was no transfer agreement, but Finland signed one last year. No mention was made that players draft rights had expired so I'm guessing they "started counting" from last year.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 11:23 PM
SharksAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I don't think so. Draft rights were held indefinately when there was no transfer agreement, but Finland signed one last year. No mention was made that players draft rights had expired so I'm guessing they "started counting" from last year.
Janne Pesonen was also drafted 2004 by Anaheim and Pittsburgh signed him as a free agent.

SharksAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAttack View Post
Janne Pesonen was also drafted 2004 by Anaheim and Pittsburgh signed him as a free agent.
Either Ducks didn't want any compensation from him or his age mattered? Fact is, if there is no transfer agreement, European players rights are held indefinitely.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
NHL teams are allowed to have up to 90 players on their reserve list. This list includes the signed contracts and the prospects that the team still holds rights to. My belief is that Miikka Tuomainen is no longer on the Thrasers reserve list and therefore is a free agent. Either they lost his rights when the last transfer agreement was still in effect or they let him go.