HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Status Quo?

Old
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Status Quo?

Sometimes the best moves are ones that arent made at all. Would anyone be upset if we made some minor improvements and kept most of the core together to see what they could do when healthy next year? Gutting the team would mean going down the road of no return. We have some good prospects in the system and look to be adding a really good one this summer at the draft.

I think that moves will be hard to make. Especially big money multi-year contracts. Is anyone interested in seeing what this team could do next year? If we are bad enough to tank this year then why would you change anything at all if you are after top picks. Maybe this team is the model to deliver those?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

vCash: 500
I'd be ok as long as those minor moves include the moving of
Staios
Moreau
Pisani
Comrie

I think for Sourays case, as I'm sure he'd love to get out now, he'll be moved this year imo

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
NotBad*

I would like to see redundant players moved as well as get Matt Greene and Brodz back that is all.

Penner Horc Hemsky
*** Gagner Brule
JFJ *** ***
*** Stone Stortini
Sourray Gilbert
Vish Smid
*** Staois

*** = Vets or rookies

But of course this all changes with the placement of the oilers finishing this season

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Thats what I want aswell.. I can digest one more year of Moreau and Staios.. both become UFAs in 2011. I'll be a happy man if the only move we make this deadline is trading away Gilbert for a struggling pending UFA.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sometimes the best moves are ones that arent made at all. Would anyone be upset if we made some minor improvements and kept most of the core together to see what they could do when healthy next year? Gutting the team would mean going down the road of no return.

I think that moves will be hard to make. Especially big money multi-year contracts. Is anyone interested in seeing what this team could do next year?
If the parts or potential parts were there, then this would be an approach. The problem is that they're not.

Moves won't be hard to make if you treat cap space as value rather than players.

This should be a pit stop and back on the track rather than a demolition derby or the slow trip to an empty tank.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Jesus

Gut, cut and sack.

Even if the team was healthy it is barely competing for the playoffs.

Dismantle the team and build up a REAL foundation that will pay dividends for years to come. No more of this half-assed retooling attempts that the Oilers have gone through since 06 that led the team nowhere but down and make the franchise a joke.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Little Fury

Staios and Moreau are must moves. they might be easier to move next year when they are on their last bit of their deals, but their value will only go down. Some of the kids need to go (Patio, Nilsson and Pouliot would be good candidates for a change of scenery). I'd think about bring Pisani back at >$1M for a year. Comrie can walk. On the blue, one of Gilbert and Grebs and Souray would be getting a plane ticket. Struds can walk.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

For next season, as long as Moreau and Staios are gone, I don't care what else changes, but they absolutely must not return. If they are still here come September, the number of fire Tambo/Lowe/all management! posts I make will skyrocket. In a perfect world Horcoff is gone too and a real number 1 C is playing here, but that may not be possible unless we draft a number 1 C(like Hall/Seguin could be).

But in a more perfect world, Tambo gets off his ass and moves some vets out sooner rather then later for good prospects and high picks to help facilitate our slide. We can still catch the Canes(4p back w/ their next game against TO) since they have Staal and Ward back now, but we should make some moves to help that out. And before they do.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Gut, cut and sack.

Even if the team was healthy it is barely competing for the playoffs.

Dismantle the team and build up a REAL foundation that will pay dividends for years to come. No more of this half-assed retooling attempts that the Oilers have gone through since 06 that led the team nowhere but down and make the franchise a joke.
This.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
Staios
Moreau
Pisani
Comrie

I think for Sourays case, as I'm sure he'd love to get out now, he'll be moved this year imo
Well Pisani and Comrie are UFA's at the end of the season so they don't have to move them, just let the walk. Although I think Comrie could fit here next year if he will play for similar Dollars 1.25. And just hope he doesn't get Mono again.... haha.

Moreau and Staios both have one year left on their deals and I think they can be moved, and I agree they should be moved.

I don't think too many people are really suggesting a complete blow up of the team. We have some young talent that can be an important part of a good team Like Gagner, Cogliano, Potulny, Brule, Stortini, JFJ, Stone, hell Hemsky is only 25 and Penner 26, Horcoff (because you can't trade him). This is a forward core that can be built around, why blow it up? Are you going to keep them all? No probably not all of them.

Add Eberle, MPS, maybe Lander or Omark, and a guy like Hall or that Segway guy, and you've got something to get excited about.

And actually looking at our RFA situation coming up this summer I am kind of glad that we suck so bad, it will make it easier for us to keep our young talent.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
For next season, as long as Moreau and Staios are gone, I don't care what else changes, but they absolutely must not return. If they are still here come September, the number of fire Tambo/Lowe/all management! posts I make will skyrocket. In a perfect world Horcoff is gone too and a real number 1 C is playing here, but that may not be possible unless we draft a number 1 C(like Hall/Seguin could be).

But in a more perfect world, Tambo gets off his ass and moves some vets out sooner rather then later for good prospects and high picks to help facilitate our slide. We can still catch the Canes(4p back w/ their next game against TO) since they have Staal and Ward back now, but we should make some moves to help that out. And before they do.
Really? You expect good prospects and high picks for Ethan Moreau and Steve Staios?

And why the hate for Staios?

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
Staios
Moreau
Pisani
Comrie

I agree with LBH, though the two bolded guys are UFAs in the summer so I don't think they will get much if anything in return. Souray will hopefully bring a good return (please let it be a top 6 F with ability and size) and even Moreau might still have some cachet. I'd keep Staios out of that veteran core, because with limited ice he's still a valuable d-man and a stabilizing presence back there. How long do you wait on a guy like Grebeshkov? Or even Gilbert, for that matter? Honestly I'd be fine with moving either or them (or even both).

One thing for sure -- Moreau has to go.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I agree with LBH, though the two bolded guys are UFAs in the summer so I don't think they will get much if anything in return. Souray will hopefully bring a good return (please let it be a top 6 F with ability and size) and even Moreau might still have some cachet. I'd keep Staios out of that veteran core, because with limited ice he's still a valuable d-man and a stabilizing presence back there. How long do you wait on a guy like Grebeshkov? Or even Gilbert, for that matter? Honestly I'd be fine with moving either or them (or even both).

One thing for sure -- Moreau has to go.
UFA's are generally who gets traded on deadline day. Basically good teams spending near the cap can fit in a veteran or two. They will get more than an equal player because it won't affect the already decent team's (playoff bound) financial commitments next year.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
OmegaTheory

If any less then 3 of the "Core" are not gone I'll be pissed off big time.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
UFA's are generally who gets traded on deadline day. Basically good teams spending near the cap can fit in a veteran or two. They will get more than an equal player because it won't affect the already decent team's (playoff bound) financial commitments next year.
Going by that same logic, why would a team then give up decent future assets for what is essentially a rental player (provided they don't resign and forego their UFA status)? I disagree. We'll see what Tambellini does.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
If any less then 3 of the "Core" are not gone I'll be pissed off big time.
What do you consider the "Core"?

Staios
Moreau
Horcoff
Pisani
Hemsky
That would be my "Core". This team doesn't have much of a core right now, and it needs to build one using its young players.

Why? Staios and Moreau are both UFA's after next season so they will be gone then for sure. Do you plan on contending for the cup next season? What would be wrong with letting things play their course? What do you expect to get for these core players who are not good enough for your team?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
So you want more of the same thing that we have had for the past three years? Why? What would lead you to believe that this team will suddenly be a lot better next year? Not to mention that deals need to be made in order to make moves for guys like MSP and Eberle.

On ice changes are needed. Cut as much of the dead weight as possible and then do the same thing next year. Making no moves just delays the inevitable rebuild for another year.

MinnesotaFats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
JohnAlexander

Nyet.

Maintaining the status quo on a sinking ship is a bad plan.

You identify your timeframe to win and then adjust your asset management strategy accordingly.

There's a ton of players on this team right now that help the Oilers be more competitive in 3 years if they're out the door this year.

Perhaps you can't make a lot of headway moving those assets out due to market conditions, but you damn well do everything you can to make it happen.

And if Tambellini doesn't employ this type of a strategy I'll be an unhappy camper.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:00 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
So you want more of the same thing that we have had for the past three years? Why? What would lead you to believe that this team will suddenly be a lot better next year? Not to mention that deals need to be made in order to make moves for guys like MSP and Eberle.

On ice changes are needed. Cut as much of the dead weight as possible and then do the same thing next year. Making no moves just delays the inevitable rebuild for another year.
And beyond that Gagner, Cogliano and Grebs need new contracts should they decide to keep them.

It also appears highly likely the Oilers will be paying the tab for three NHL goaltenders going forward so it makes a lot of sense to clear out any player who does not fit the Oilers window to win.

Last edited by dashingsilverfox*: 01-11-2010 at 06:21 PM.
dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:00 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Really? You expect good prospects and high picks for Ethan Moreau and Steve Staios?

This exactly, the has has been great. We need more of him on this team, not less. Moreau on the other hand...

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

Not for a second. But I do think there are eastern GMs who would take them off our hands. I was thinking of others when I wrote that and I would expect a good return if the GMs start asking for Souray. Penner, Lubo, etc.

And the hate is because as much heart as Staios has, he's a number 6 D man at best given his current abilities. And since moving Horcoff and his albatross is near impossible, Staios and his 2.7M are about 2M more then we need to pay for another guy to take that spot, with similar results. We need the cap space and Staios has to go to get it. Same with Moreau, except he brings nothing to the table anymore. On ice or off.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
This exactly, the has has been great. We need more of him on this team, not less. Moreau on the other hand...
Sell him while him value is at its highest.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Would be nice if he had the ability to match his heart.

Moreau is made of crackers and needs to go...quickly.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Meanashell11

While I do not like the taste of it, Wash totally dismantled their team prior to the 2004 draft. If it was a vet and had a pulse they traded it. Could have been accused of losing on purpose but it worked. I guess if AO was in this draft I could stomach it better but a change is a good as a rest. Attached is an article describing the blood letting in Washington in 2004. Should a lot like the current Oiler situation and what they should do.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=463249

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Sell him while him value is at its highest.
Unless his game falls to pieces next season, I think you'd get more in a year than you for him now. I'd be willing to wait until then.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote