HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/12/10 - Do YOU think the Rangers will make the playoffs?

View Poll Results: Do you think the Rangers make the playoffs?
YES 125 87.41%
NO 18 12.59%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
have you looked at the other teams in the Eastern conference. Besides the Devils EVERY team has some huge holes in it.

I dont' think this team is great, we are good, but when you see the other teams in this conference, all I can think is "How Can't we Make it?"

now if we were in Western Conference I don't think we would have a good shot.
The Flyers are better balanced than we are. They have better depth at forward. Better depth at D and they have a huge hole in Net. I believe that they surpass us in the standings.

The Panthers are another team that has better depth than we do. Again, I will not debate the individual talent issue as I believe that Gaborik and Lundqvist are better than what Florida can throw at us, but I think that again both at forward and on D they have a deeper team than we do. They are also a better 2nd half team historically and came within a hair of making the PO's last year.

An argument could be made for Tampa as well with the top end talent that they have that we cannot match. However, they have a pretty poor defence that makes their goaltending look soft as well.

I personally do not subscribe to the theory that because we have Gaborik and Lundqvist we are a PO team. Two players can only take you so far and unless/until the rest of the team starts supporting our top 2 players, the PO's (regardless of current standings) are going to be a pipe dream.

And even if they do make the PO's, it's all for naught since they are not built for anything other than a quick out.

I'm no longer satisfied with one and done.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Garfinkel, if you do this poll weekly, you should make a chart that follows the voting each week. Like the Fan Confidence Rating on Metsblog, only on a smaller scale.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
NJD are sending Brodeur and parise
PITT is sending Malkin Crosby
PHI is sending Pronger and Richards
BUF is sending Miller
etc...

see that pattern here. We aren't the only team sending our best players. this olympic letdown is the biggest bs statement out there. It is basically a level playing field as all teams are sending their best one or two players at least to the Olympics.

this excuse is just a cop out and really holds no ground. Unless people actually believe that only our players will be affected by the Olympics, and that every other player who will play in them will come out feeling fine or even better.

NJD has a better supporting case after both Broduer and Parise
PITT has a better supporting cast after both Sid and Malkin
PHI has a better supporting cast after Pronger and Richards
BUF has a better supporting cast after Ryan Miller

See the pattern here?

They have MUCH BETTER DEPTH than we do and can afford an injury to Mike Richards/Zach Parise/Sid Crosby/Ryan Miller

I agree that all teams are sending players and those teams will also have tired players, but those teams that you mentioned are all better equipped to deal a loss to a top player than we are. Much better equipped.

It's a valid excuse when you are as poorly constructed as we are.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
zestystrat

Also, Hank is playing a lot of games going in to this Olympics - I have no idea if it's more then the last Olympics but he has had less rest for sure.

He won't get it in Canada. When he came back from the Olympics last go-round he was never the same.

I'm not saying it's a forgone conclusion that Hank is going to get hurt....but none of this helps.

Once again agreeing with PLD here....we are not balanced and don't have the depth we need to survive a loss of Hank or Gabby. The guys picked up their game when Vinny went down but if you lose one of these guys we are toast.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
As long as Gaborik and Lundqvist stay healthy for most of the remainder of the schedule we're in as at best the 5th seed at worst the 8th seed

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
When he came back from the Olympics last go-round he was never the same.
how?

Old
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

See the pattern here?

They have MUCH BETTER DEPTH than we do and can afford an injury to Mike Richards/Zach Parise/Sid Crosby/Ryan Miller

I agree that all teams are sending players and those teams will also have tired players, but those teams that you mentioned are all better equipped to deal a loss to a top player than we are. Much better equipped.

Buffalo can't can't can't afford an injury to Ryan Miller. The only team I disagree with in that above list. NJ would really be hurting without Parise too.

Old
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
My heart wanted me to vote yes, but my head looks at this team with the holes that it has and I can't vote yes.

Additionally, our 2 best players are headed to the Olympics playing in a very tough tournament down the stretch which can tire them out for the 1.5 months after they get back.
As it is, I'm not confident in this team, taking into consideration the Olympic factor, I can't comfortably vote that they will be in the PO's.
Quote:

See the pattern here?

Now you are talking about two different things. At first you said the Olympics can tire them out. Now you are saying what if they are injured.

being tired and injured are two completely different things. I do not buy the tired argument whatsoever. If Gabby or Lundy goes down with injury DURING the tournament then yes we are screwed. but if they simply play during the tourney and come back healthy then there are no excuses.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
John Torturella

This is pathetic. Fair weather fans much? Where were all these "Yes" votes in December?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...=poll+playoffs

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Nick00

No.
Gaborik is already starting to decline and after the Olympics him and Lundqvist will probably be slow and worn out.
I don't think March will be a good month and they'll fall to 9th or 10th place.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
No.
Gaborik is already starting to decline and after the Olympics him and Lundqvist will probably be slow and worn out.
I don't think March will be a good month and they'll fall to 9th or 10th place.
I agree with you...The Rangers are not built to last deep into the playoffs, if they do make it.

They are small and soft...bad combination.

If you recall the Tampa game...they came out very aggresive towards us and we went into a shell.

If you look @ the Flyers game...they play an in your face game and we lose 6-0, not a coindence and it will only get worse.

If I was a coach of an oppossing team...i would pound the Rangers into the ice. ..who is going to answer the bell...Brashear...he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
how?
In the end, I think he had an injury - off the top of my head I can't remember what it was.

At the end of the season/playoffs, it came out. I remember he couldn't see clearly or something like that.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
In the end, I think he had an injury - off the top of my head I can't remember what it was.

At the end of the season/playoffs, it came out. I remember he couldn't see clearly or something like that.
Yea I remember something about him grinding his teeth at night causing headaches.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
This is pathetic. Fair weather fans much? Where were all these "Yes" votes in December?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...=poll+playoffs
Relax. When the team goes through a prolonged **** streak, obviously people will sour on our chances. If you're more level-headed than that, great for you! But it doesn't make everyone else a fair weather fan.

If you asked me after 3 games if the Jets would make the playoffs, I'd have said "good chance." If you asked me 3 weeks ago, I'd say "No chance." And yet I still followed them religiously and devoted a ridiculous emotional investment to them. Obviously an extreme example, but the point still stands.

If people are spending any amount of time on this board discussing the team on a regular basis, they're probably not fair weather fans.

Old
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Garfinkel, if you do this poll weekly, you should make a chart that follows the voting each week. Like the Fan Confidence Rating on Metsblog, only on a smaller scale.
That was actually my train of thought. I thought monthly would suffice. Maybe i'll do it every 2 weeks and see how it goes.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Relax. When the team goes through a prolonged **** streak, obviously people will sour on our chances. If you're more level-headed than that, great for you! But it doesn't make everyone else a fair weather fan.

If you asked me after 3 games if the Jets would make the playoffs, I'd have said "good chance." If you asked me 3 weeks ago, I'd say "No chance." And yet I still followed them religiously and devoted a ridiculous emotional investment to them. Obviously an extreme example, but the point still stands.

If people are spending any amount of time on this board discussing the team on a regular basis, they're probably not fair weather fans.
that actually is a really good point.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

To quote myself from the early December thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
As constructed right now this is not a playoff team, trade deadline may change that. Of course by then we could be out of it also. Only 1 reason this team is not bottom 3 in the league right now, Gaborik. Without MG even Lundqvist would not keep us from being below eveyone but CAR and TOR league wide.

Many of us felt this team was somewhere between 5-10 in the east to start the year. Looks more like 8-13 now.
I still feel the same way, except now maybe we are 7-12.

Only difference with this team right now is Lundqvist is playing his best hockey of the year and MG is still lighting it up, so we are rolling a little.
Without MG and HL both simultaniously at the top of their games this team will struggle. It's a long season, there will be/are many highs (our start, now) and lows (most of the rest) throughout the year.

I'll re-evaluate going into the Oly break.

Edit: I voted yes because come the deadline this team will be in contention for a spot and management will make the moves necessary to sneak us in for a 1st or 2nd rd loss.

Last edited by N9Y4R: 01-12-2010 at 06:42 PM.
N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
nyr7andcounting

7th seed, first round loss, no top draft pick, no closer to being a cup contender. Mediocrity continues.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Prediction:If the Rangers lose tonight you will see A LOT more NO's being voted.
and if we win tonight we instantly become Cup contenders

I think Rangers will make playoffs followed by a 1st round exit.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

As long as Hank is our goalie, we make the playoffs every year, albeit with a crap team.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
We will be close due to Hank but I can see this team falling short. Yes they have been winning but look at the teams they beat, bad teams. They aren't even scoring against them so I really don't see how anyone can answer yes to believing in making the playoffs. Vote with your brians and not with your hearts.

As a matter of fact i'm willing to state one somewhat key injury and this team sinks to the bottom of the East super fast. 5 months into our season still no backup goalie, still no 6th/7th dman, still no improvement up front. Super thin teams who rely on 2-3 players are almost asking for injuries so no I don't see us making the playoffs. You know your thin when losing Prospal puts a major clog in your offensive scheme.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
John Torturella

Quote:

The NFL is incomparable. The season is 16 games. Three games can make or break a team. Everyone refused to see that there was plenty of time to turn things around. I just think a lot of these posters have very little faith in the team and its a little disappointing. They should know that at least 25 of 30 teams go through prolonged slumps. Its the nature of the sport.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:21 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Honestly....I have no idea.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
The NFL is incomparable. The season is 16 games. Three games can make or break a team. Everyone refused to see that there was plenty of time to turn things around. I just think a lot of these posters have very little faith in the team and its a little disappointing. They should know that at least 25 of 30 teams go through prolonged slumps. Its the nature of the sport.
Sure, but we're talking about a poll that was conducted, what, 25 games in? There's not much to base your opinion off of. I mean you could say, "Who knows, it's early, a lot could happen," but that's no fun. I thought we were a 6-10 coming into the season, and at the time the poll was first conducted, it looked like we were a lot closer to a 10 seed than a 6. Hence me saying, no, I don't think we're in. I obviously can't speak for others but I think a lot of people felt the same way. Now that we're 40-some-odd games in, I've seen enough of this group to think we're likely to slip in as an 8.

EDIT: I think of it more in terms of "Confidence the team will make the playoffs" than an outright will we or won't we. Like in early December my confidence would be about a 3/10. Now I'm more around 6/10. That's probably not how other people are thinking of it though.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 01-13-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They'll make it. I'm hoping for a 5th or 6th seed. but now you have Philly coming on now. and I can see them ending up 5th or 6th. It's going to be tough. They need another scorer to make it a no doubter.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote