HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Anyone else pumped for "3D Dot Game Heroes?" (PS3)

Old
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Anyone else pumped for "3D Dot Game Heroes?" (PS3)

http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/ (trailer)

Yes, it resembles a classic that we pretty much all love. It's going to be a great homage to 8-bit gaming.

It will apparently sell for $39.99 and is available in May of this year.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Biggest rip off to Zelda...it even has almost the same music.

Im just wondering who would by a game called "3D Dot Game Hereos?

If it were like 9.99 I'd buy it, but for 40 bucks? The game looks like ass, I guess they are hoping people will think they are buying a classic Zelda game and get suckered in.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Only problem is that its by From Software, so you know its going to be two helpings of messed up. Everything those guys do does one unique interesting and then is super janky everywhere else.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Defgarden

Wow. I'm stoked about this, but you can't deny how much of an utter rip off this is. I mean, yea a lot of games basically reuse ideas, but this game blatantly goes out of it's way to make sure you know what inspired it. Not sure how that works out if Nintendo tries to sue (if they do).

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Biggest rip off to Zelda...it even has almost the same music.

Im just wondering who would by a game called "3D Dot Game Hereos?

If it were like 9.99 I'd buy it, but for 40 bucks? The game looks like ass, I guess they are hoping people will think they are buying a classic Zelda game and get suckered in.
I think that's what they were going for though. And honestly, I don't care if it's a ripoff. I still looks awesome to me.

Old
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Wow. I'm stoked about this, but you can't deny how much of an utter rip off this is. I mean, yea a lot of games basically reuse ideas, but this game blatantly goes out of it's way to make sure you know what inspired it. Not sure how that works out if Nintendo tries to sue (if they do).
I can picture Miyamoto reading this thread right now. "Hey..wait a second.."

Old
01-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I can picture Miyamoto reading this thread right now. "Hey..wait a second.."
Well, to be honest, I don't think they'll really even bat an eye at this. Based on the gamespot preview, it seems like the developers intentionally tried to pay tribute to several other games as well, not just Zelda.

While the concept and gameplay is somewhat of an NES Zelda clone, they don't directly use any of the licensed characters, sounds, sprites, names, etc. The music is extremely similar, but not exactly the same.

I'm no lawyer, but as far as I know, there are a multitude of products out there that intentionally try and copy another product without infringing on their patents, which is what this game is doing (change patent with intellectual property). Also, I'm not sure you can copyright, patent, or trademark a gaming concept or style, only specific code, names, music, and art (and perhaps a few other things I'm missing).

So yea, I don't think they can win a suit here, though I don't think they would even bother.

Old
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Well, to be honest, I don't think they'll really even bat an eye at this. Based on the gamespot preview, it seems like the developers intentionally tried to pay tribute to several other games as well, not just Zelda.

While the concept and gameplay is somewhat of an NES Zelda clone, they don't directly use any of the licensed characters, sounds, sprites, names, etc. The music is extremely similar, but not exactly the same.

I'm no lawyer, but as far as I know, there are a multitude of products out there that intentionally try and copy another product without infringing on their patents, which is what this game is doing (change patent with intellectual property). Also, I'm not sure you can copyright, patent, or trademark a gaming concept or style, only specific code, names, music, and art (and perhaps a few other things I'm missing).

So yea, I don't think they can win a suit here, though I don't think they would even bother.
And it's not like it's the first time either.

Everyone remember the Neutopia games for TurboGrafx-16?

Old
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
All I can say is it better be a pretty big damn game. I have no problem with simple graphics, but simple graphics also takes a ton of time and money out of development time. That's why all the new old-school style games usually cost only $10. So if they're going to go that route and charge $40 for this game, it better have a ton of depth.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
All I can say is it better be a pretty big damn game. I have no problem with simple graphics, but simple graphics also takes a ton of time and money out of development time. That's why all the new old-school style games usually cost only $10. So if they're going to go that route and charge $40 for this game, it better have a ton of depth.
Well, I read that there's only 6 dungeons in the game. And I remember IGN saying it's pretty much only an 8 hour experience.

So yeah, it does seem short. At least it's not fully priced at $59.99.

But I see what you're saying. It makes you wonder why they can't just make this a Playstation Network downloadable game. Charge like $15.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Unholy Diver

this is like the Transmorphers of videogames

looks pretty crappy to me, I'll pass

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, I read that there's only 6 dungeons in the game. And I remember IGN saying it's pretty much only an 8 hour experience.

So yeah, it does seem short. At least it's not fully priced at $59.99.

But I see what you're saying. It makes you wonder why they can't just make this a Playstation Network downloadable game. Charge like $15.
Well that really sucks. I would definately be in the target audience for this sort of game, but if it's that price for so little it's basically shovel ware.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Defgarden

Yea, if it's that small a game I'm not sure I'd pay 40 bucks for that. Maybe 20, but certainly not 40. Hell, I'd just go rent it and beat it once if it's only a 8-10 hour experience.

You know, what they should have done (and probably still can) is have a moddable type level/world builder a la LittleBigPlanet. I mean, the engine looks like it easily lends itself to quick customization and modability. I don't see why it can't be done. I'd easily pay 40 bucks for that, no question.

Old
03-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Frankie Spankie

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just found out about it and was going to make a topic anyway. It looks like a lot of fun and I pre-ordered it on Amazon. I needed something to push me over $25 for free shipping when I bought Sherlock Holmes for blu-ray.

Looking on the boards at GameFAQs for it, it looks like it's a lot longer than people here are making it out to be. Somebody who pre-ordered it and played it themselves said the story itself will probably take 10-15 hours. He's exploring and doing all the mini games/side quests and already has 21 hours while being "far from finished." Also, apparently there's 4 DLCs for it in Japan (has already been released there for a few months now) which all come on the CD itself which helps justify the $40 price tags for people who think they're getting ripped off.

I can't wait to play this game.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote