HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Vs. Lightning - Game One - April. 23/04 (GDT and Pre-Game)

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Catala

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Catala
Habs Vs. Lightning - Game One - April. 23/04 (GDT and Pre-Game)

Game Day Thread: Playoff's Edition

(7th - 93 points) Montreal Canadiens VS. Tampa Bay lightning (1rst - 106 points)
From the St.Pete Times Forum, Tampa bay, Florida.

Round 2: Game 1 (and Pre-Game)

Game Time: 7:00 PM, Friday, April 23rd.
TV: Reseaux des Sports.
Radio: Ckac AM 730 (french Broadcast) and Team990 or CJAD 800 (english Broadcasts).

Preview:

The habs made it to the 2nd round with a great come back from a 1-3 deficit (first time in the habs' history). We are now facing the speedy team of Tampa Bay who took care of the Islanders in 5 Games.
I tried to gather some info and start a 4 days discussion about the team. I hope the stats and notes will help us understand the lightning better, a team who always did well against the habs even when they were struggling (just remember the way they managed to always win at the Bell center). They now are a top caliber team, and, win or lose, i expect round 2 to be fast and end before the 7 games limit.

Time to play our CJ and guess a way to beat them.

- The key remains Theodore, no doubt. If he manages to force the lightning to put incredible plays in order to beat him, the habs stand a decent chance.
- As well, do not take the Lightning beaten when talking about playoffs experience. Even if the team has a short playoffs history, the way they did beat the Islanders is prove enough they are ready.
- Another inportant thing will be our defensive squad. After playing the bruins, Komo, Markov, Bouillon, Rivet, Brisebois and especially Souray will now face a team whom strengh is based on speed.

Well we'll have a better opinion after Game 1.

(Season: 2 wins, 2 Losses.)

Montreal Canadiens

#20 Zednik - #11 Koivu - #27 Kovalev
#94 Perreault - #71 Ribeiro - #73 Ryder
#38 Bulis - #34 Dowd - #22 Begin
#37/#26/#24 - #90 Juneau - #15 Langdon

#79 Markov - #52 Rivet
#44 Souray - #8 KOMO
#51 Bouillon - #43 Brisebois

Julien's Pressbox

#5 Quintal (wrist), #17 Ward (neck?), #24 Dackell (?),
#26 Dagenais (possible injury?), #28 Dykhuis (healthy), #37 Sundstrom (?)

Season Statistics comparison:

Montreal / Tampa Bay

Head to Head: -Individuals (season)

26 (R. Zednik) Goals Scored Ldr (M. St. Louis) 38
65 (M. Ribeiro) points Leaders (M. St. Louis) 94
17 (P. Brisebois) Plus-Minus ratio (M. St. Louis) 35
135 (D. Langdon) Penalty Minutes (C. Dingman) 140
2.27 (J. Theodore) Goals Against Avg (N. Khabibulin) 2.33

----------------------------------

-Teams

17.2 Power Play perc. 16.2
82.5 Penalty Killing (%) 84.9
2.51 Goals For Average 2.95
2.31 Goals vs Average. 2.31

Playoffs Statistics Comparisons:

Head to Head (Playoffs)

Montreal / Tampa bay

5 (A. Kovalev) Goals Scored Ldr (M. St. Louis) 4
10 (S. koivu) points Leaders (F. Modin) 8
+7 (R. Zednik) Plus-Minus ratio (F. Modin) +6

Team

3/30 Power Play perc. 2/23
23/25 Penalty Killing 14/16
2.71 Goals For per game 2.4
2.00 (14/7) Goals vs Average. (goaly stat) 0.79 (4/5)

Code:
Tampa bay round 1:

Thu, Apr 8  NY Islanders        W 3-0  
 Sat, Apr 10 NY Islanders        L 0-3  
 Mon, Apr 12 at NY Islanders     W 3-0  
 Wed, Apr 14 at NY Islanders     W 3-0  
 Fri, Apr 16 NY Islanders        W 3-2  

Montreal Round 1:

Wed, Apr 7  at boston           L 3-0
 Fri, Apr 9  at Boston         OTL 1-2
 Sun, Apr 11 Boston              W 3-2  
 Tue, Apr 13 Boston            OTL 3-4  
 Thu, Apr 15 at Boston           W 5-1  
 Sat, Apr 17 Boston              W 5-2  
 Mon, Apr 19 at Boston           W 2-0
Players to Watch:

Saku koivu: -"El Capitan" is on fire, leading the Playoffs with 10 points (2-8). His inspiration drove the habs during the first round. Giving his 100% every shifts, Try to find something negative about his play...
The heart and soul of the habs is from Turku dear friends, my hero, and the one of many others. In koivu i trust.

Alexei kovalev: -"The prince" stepped up where it counted and that is exactly why BG got him in the first place. A power forward who can carry the puck with a bruins on his back, he showed what he could do ( 5 goals, 4 Assists) after a turnover that could have killed the team. A must for next year and for round 2. Mr Kovalev, in me, you have now a new fan.

Richard Zednik: -"the Zednifier" had so many chances i lost count. But he created a good part of them and complete the 2 guys above to perfection. Thx for the 2 goals in that Game 7 Richard.

Andrei Markov: -Our best defenseman in round 1, he was there offensively and was stellar defensively. took the place of Souray in round 1 and all in all, it's great to see him play that well !

Jose theodore: -I was so pissed at him in the first games, but i now have to admit he is back in it. Great last Game, if Theo is in the habs can do some damages.

Team: -Such a great effort, what else can be said. I'm still shaking about the way they played. They played so well in every aspects and dominated most of their games against Boston. Some players like Bouillon, Ward, Begin, perreault, Komisarek played like veterans. With the same intensity, skills and heart, they would be very difficult to beat for any teams.

Martin St.louis: -The speedy guy did lead the NHL in points with 94 this season. So fast that the montreal's defense might get a cold, i'm looking forward for a Markov/St.Louis dual.

Vincent Lecavalier: -The guy has pure talent and his very strong on his skates. No point in first round, he will still be a player to watch in round 2.

Fredrik Modin: -8 points in 5 games, another speedy guy who can put it in the net. Playoff performer, he always finds a way to score the goal that hurts the opposing team.

Dan Boyle: -The 5-11 defenseman got talent, and has an offensive instinct. The lightning quaterback is the general in his zone and completes a nice squad with kubina and Sydor.

Nikolai Khabibulin: -The "Bulin" wall is just on fire. Shut down the islanders in 3 games, the habs will have to solve him pretty fast. i don't want to jinx us so i won't compliment him a lot this time.

Team: -They played Round 1 methodicaly and didn't wait for any questions to be asked. Played like the ranked first NHL team they were this season and without the offensive contribution of one of their most talented player. A great addition in Daryl Sydor at the blue line to bring the experience so much needed. Without doubt an extremely great team to watch/learn from when at their best.

Complete analysis on Tampa bay system and players By Oceanic39.

-----------------------------

Playoffs Posters Analysis (round 1):

Montreal:

417 TO MTL: The round one believer and "visonnaire". Never doubted his team where some did, i would have wanted him on TQS to shut them down tonight saying:" i told you so, now get on you knees and sing - I love Koivu- pagants!"

VAN-HAB: He did a great job jinxing the bruins with his avatar. Always very intersting the read from and another believer in the BC province.

#44_delivers: The power forward by excellence. Defended his team so well on the Bruins board i was pissed at him for always being in front of me. We need more guys like you !

jl.Roberts: great GDT when i was studiing or just to anxious to put out one myself. Always great at commenting his pre-games. Where would we be without you?

YOUTH OF HABS : The Official spiritual leader of this year's playoffs, our beloved Rael, Do i need to say more ?!

Mooch: The official diplomat of the Habs board, i think he started more thread in the "ennemy" side wishing them well than here. Good job Mooch and please continue on the Tampa Board now !

HM: Duchy, NHLcrazy, Prabby, Darz and Kerberos !!! thx for the 777 !!!!, McPhee, =CH=, Tnq, Unbiased Canadian , Chicpea, Moumni,Tuggy, Brisebois ( Lafleur was with us !), Perez (who had the guts to start a bet thread with the bruins !) and so many more i loved to read for the past 2 weeks. i'm sure we will have as much fun in round 2 !

PS: Thx to Gee Wally and the Bruins posters for a great post's series.

Tampa bay:

We are not used to come in contact with you, Lightning posters, but i did read some of you this year.

Sotnos: The official mentor of the Tampa board. Their spiritual leader, we will have to watch for this guy

TB_FANATIC: what more can be said ! hehe, i already saw him surfing our board to prepare the series

We will get to know them: Oceanic39, 1Timer, and many more.

I hope we will see many of your posts and bring a new interaction between our 2 teams. To a great series, and may the best team win.

My prediction: Habs in 6.

Last edited by Catala: 04-23-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old
04-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Good GDT, Catala, as usual.

I will not predict anything, as I don't want to jinx the Canadiens. I can't wait to watch the game, and hope the boys are well-rested and come out as a force to be reckoned with. I'm sure they will.

GO HABS GO!!!

Lafleur wants me to move to Florida.... Yes, he's getting old.

Old
04-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
It's just a tad bit early for this I think

But oh well. I'm certainly already pumped for Friday, so why not get it started!

I won't make any predictions, but I see game 1 being a high scoring affair, with the teams feeling each other out, and trying to develop a plan to defend against the opposing top players (the Koivu line for TBay, and St Louis and Lecavalier for us).

in any case...
GO HABS GO!
... may Captain Koivu lead us to victory.

Old
04-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Catala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
It's just a tad bit early for this I think
, i wanted to share some pre-analysis about the series. i'm very confused about this team and thought a 3 days talk about it !

Old
04-20-2004, 06:59 PM
gobolt7

I just wanted to stop buy and wish you guys good luck in our series. I am really looking forward to Friday. Hopefully, this will be fast, trap free hockey. I think, as has been the case in the first round for both teams, Goaltending will be the difference. Good luck, and may the best team win!

Old
04-20-2004, 07:20 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7
I just wanted to stop buy and wish you guys good luck in our series. I am really looking forward to Friday. Hopefully, this will be fast, trap free hockey. I think, as has been the case in the first round for both teams, Goaltending will be the difference. Good luck, and may the best team win!
We'll kill you

Thanks for dropping in, good luck to you too.

Old
04-20-2004, 07:28 PM
NHLcrazy

I'm a little scared with the attitude of some here (even myself!) towards this serie, it feels exactly like the Carolina-Habs serie in 2002, where we didn't give too much credit to the opponent because of its "reputation", Tampa is still a young franchise, never acheived anything in the playoffs and played all year in the "powerstacked" southeast division.But TB 2004 is A LOT better than the 2002 Hurricanes.For me the Lightning and the Senators are clones,speed and tons of offense...and we never had much success the past few years against the Sens.

It's gonna be tough, really though!!

Old
04-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Catala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy
I'm a little scared with the attitude of some here (even myself!) towards this serie, it feels exactly like the Carolina-Habs serie in 2002, where we didn't give too much credit to the opponent because of its "reputation", Tampa is still a young franchise, never acheived anything in the playoffs and played all year in the "powerstacked" southeast division.But TB 2004 is A LOT better than the 2002 Hurricanes.For me the Lightning and the Senators are clones,speed and tons of offense...and we never had much success the past few years against the Sens.

Wow there... Tampa has nothing to do with the hurricanes of 2002. The habs will have to count on a strong Jose and their def squad to stop Tampas' top lines.
I don't know where u got the idea of posters thinking of a "might be easy" series.

Will be hard.

Old
04-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Natural Habs Fan

This is a series that can go either way, it will all depend on how Theo & Bulin play plus the bounces that each team gets. It could be over in 4 either way or it could go to 7.

One thing I will say is that people around me have been giving the Habs major respect since we won game 7. I know Leaf fans who think that the Habs can actually win the East! Wouldn't that be amazing? God, I think I'd die of happiness.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:45 AM
Tuggy

This series is going to be a lot harder then the Boston series. For a few reasons, Tampa is better coached, Tampa has a better defense, Tampa has a better group of forwards and Tampa has a better goalie. All in all Tampa is a better team then the Bruins and we are going to be in very tough. No more games against the slow footed ditwitted Bruins. Now we have to face the fast skating smart Lightning.

This is a tough series to try and predict since both are young teams and most players haven't been put in this type of situation. One thing that is nice to see is the improved play of Theodore. He is getting better every game and I think he is finally at the level we need of him in order to win.

I think that they need to at least steal one in Tampa because they were able to get away with falling far behind in the last series but that is something you don't want to do twice.

This is going to be an interesting series to watch because I haven't seen a lot of the Lightning this is season so its hard to know what to expect from them. I only saw Game 1 of their series with the Isles and they got outplayed in that one only to have their goalie win the game for them. Khabibulin is probably one of the hottest goalies right now so lets hope his long layoff cools him off.

GO HABS GO!

Old
04-21-2004, 02:10 AM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Hopefully, this will be fast, trap free hockey.
I have some bad news for you gobolt7, but the Canadiens are a trapping team

Old
04-21-2004, 04:52 AM
Catala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
I have some bad news for you gobolt7, but the Canadiens are a trapping team
An exciting trapping team

Old
04-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:

Before the playoffs, I was terrified of the possibilty of matching up against TB. They were the team I did not want to see the Habs play against, because I thought they would own us.

I still think they're really good and am a little worried of playing against them, but I think the Boston games showed that it all depends on two things: determination and great goaltending.

Anything is possible now.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala
HM: Duchy, NHLcrazy, Prabby, Darz and Kerberos !!! thx for the 777 !!!!, McPhee, =CH=, Tnq, Unbiased Canadian , Chicpea, Moumni,Tuggy, Brisebois ( Lafleur was with us !), Perez (who had the guts to start a bet thread with the bruins !) and so many more i loved to read for the past 2 weeks. i'm sure we will have as much fun in round 2 !
Runs to the stage with tears running down the side of his face. Takes out a handkerchief, carefully unfolds it and wipes his tears deliberately. Puts the handkerchief away and sniffles once then twice. Grabs the trophy from the announcer who doesn't let it go. Pulls again, but he still doesn't let it go. Puts his foot on the announcer's stomach and manages to pull out the award. Runs away giggling and sobbing simultaneously and uncontrollably.

"Come back", says the announcer, "you just got a honourable mention, you did not win the award! COME BACK HERE!"

Old
04-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Rschmitz

Good GDT and scouting report Catala; see Oceanics TB Scouting Report for analysis on Tampa Bays system and players

Old
04-21-2004, 04:08 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:

Carolina had what...80-90 points? Lighting are the best in the east and second overall with 106 points. i doubt montreal will take them lightly

Old
04-21-2004, 04:32 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Carolina had what...80-90 points? Lighting are the best in the east and second overall with 106 points. i doubt montreal will take them lightly

That is exactly my point...the only comparison i made was that TB and Carolina are from the same division that has a bad reputation.....i'm just saying that because it's not a so -called big name (Toronto, Philly, NJ) some ppl think TB is a fluke, which they are obviously not! Maybe not too much on these boards but from what i've heard around me...

Old
04-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Misc. stats about matchup:

-We've won all games against Khabibulin this season. He even got yanked once
-Karl Dykhuis is the only habs player to have ever played a playoff series against the Lightning and has 3 points. Should be bring him in?
-Andreychuck has played 12 games against the habs in the playoffs and had 11 pts.
-pt/game players on habs against Tampa:
Koivu 4gp 3g 4a 7pts
Markov 3gp 1g 3a 4pts
Bulis 4gp 2g 2a 4pts
Souray 3gp 0g 3a 3pts
Theo 4gp 0g 1a 1pt

-both teams have never met in the playoffs
-Juneau is still the leading career playoff scorer on the habs
-The lightning have only 3 players on their team below 6 foot

Old
04-21-2004, 09:52 PM
oli500

One think for sure is that were going to have to get our power play back on track if we want to beat tampa. Specials teams can play such a big role in the playoffs im afraid that if we have the same kind of power play performance as we did againts boston we're going to have a difficult time scoring kee goals.

Hey Catala you forgot to put me in the playoffs posters analysis
04-13-2004, 08:53 PM #1
oli500
team work !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know im going to take alot of heat for this post, especialy if they dont win but this series is not over tell it's over. If there is one thing this years montreal candien edition has tought me is to never give up on them. So many times after a slump, I fought they wouldent be able to bounce back and that it was all over but also so many times has this team not only been able to bounced back but play better down the road. Its not over tell its over.

I still forgive you .

Anyways This years montreal canadiens edition well one that will stay in my memory for a long time for theire hard work and determation. I hope they can keep up and go habs go. Cant wait for friday

Old
04-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Danadiens

Oh well this is my first post and I dedicate it to the first ever Tampa vs Habs serie.
Go Habs
Go banana

Old
04-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Catala

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
Good GDT and scouting report Catala; see Oceanics TB Scouting Report for analysis on Tampa Bays system and players
Thx fanatic,

i added a link in the GDT to that very nice post. Definitly helps us understand better your team.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Raider917

this series cant be played the same as the bruins series if we want to win it. if we dont win of the first two games and fall behind 3-1, TB will finish us off quick. winning the first game would be huge. shake khabibulin as quickly as you can and get them doubting him and putting grahame in.

Old
04-22-2004, 12:37 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
this series cant be played the same as the bruins series if we want to win it. if we dont win of the first two games and fall behind 3-1, TB will finish us off quick. winning the first game would be huge. shake khabibulin as quickly as you can and get them doubting him and putting grahame in.
Yeah, winning one game in Tampa at least would be important. Hopefully the habs powerplay improves as well in this series

Old
04-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Habs

Our defence won't get away with the turnovers against the Lightning. If they can tighten up the backend we have a chance.

However, if Quintal comes back, and Komisarek sits because of it... I'm going to snap.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Tuggy

Well my dislike for the Tampa fans has begun, not even a game has been played yet and already some good discussion has started!

I am starting to get that playoff feeling again!!!!

I AM PUMPED

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

:gman:

Closed Thread