HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Daugavins up, MSP down

Old
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
v-man

vCash: 500
Congrats Daugy!

I've been following him ever since the 06 World Championships before he got drafted and throughout his OHL career. Nice to see him get a chance. Hopefully he'll make the best of it.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Clouston benched K-Daug beginning of last season which lead to him being demoted back down to the OHL for the season, so we don't have an exact idea what's going on but put 2 and 2 together and we got some trade bait imo..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Clouston benched K-Daug beginning of last season which lead to him being demoted back down to the OHL for the season, so we don't have an exact idea what's going on but put 2 and 2 together and we got some trade bait imo..
Daugavins is not the same player he was at the start of last year. He's got 19 points in 24 games. It could be trade bait, but I'd say it's just as likely they're rewarding him for his improved play.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
v-man

Quote:
I don't know how many time's I've had to correct this on here, but he wasn't demoted by the team, he requested to be sent down because he wasn't getting enough playing time in Bingo. I don't think a guy playing his first game with a contract that expires this season would serve much use as trade bait. It simply looks like he's finally getting a shot like the other guys. So far none of them have been effective, so it doesn't hurt to try one more.

Last edited by v-man: 01-13-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old
01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I don't know how many time's I've had to correct this on here, but he wasn't demoted by the team, he requested to be sent down because he wasn't getting enough playing time in Bingo. I don't think a guy playing his first game with a contract that expires this season would serve much use as trade bait. It simply looks like he's finally getting a shot like the other guys. So far none of them have been effective, so it doesn't hurt to try one.
He's been ok this season, but he's not NHL material..and there was a reason why he wasn't getting ice time, refer to my post again..

Old
01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
v-man

Quote:
He's been ok this season, but he's not NHL material..and there was a reason why he wasn't getting ice time, refer to my post again..
He wasn't getting ice time because of an off ice incident that pissed off Clouston the previous year. That, coupled with him coming into training camp straight out of hospital, so obviously not in the best shape, lead to him not even getting decent minutes at rookie camp, where for the second year in a row he re-injured his now fixed shoulder, which kept him out of exhibition games with the main camp. Kaspar played at the World Championships at 17, and had 6 points in six games there at 18. He's more than capable of playing in the NHL if he doesn't do his occasional floating thing, which just won't work there.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Bobby Blowhard

v-man, i dont know how many B-sens games you watch but if Ski and BSF, two season ticket holders, say that KDaug has been unimpressive, i wouldn't bother arguing it.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
v-man, i dont know how many B-sens games you watch but if Ski and BSF, two season ticket holders, say that KDaug has been unimpressive, i wouldn't bother arguing it.
I watched their games over the weekend and on Saturday he was maybe their best forward. He made a beautiful play on the first goal that night and assisted on the other. There have been obvious strides improvements in his game, and even if he isn't ready for the NHL, it's not bad to reward the guy for hard work. He probably won't be up for long anyway.

Neither of them really said he was unimpressive anyway.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
To be honest, I thought he was terrible. I didn't think he was doing anything that had made him successful in the past. He wasn't skating hard, he wasn't hitting much, he was basically floating and took a couple of bad penalties....
Wow, I disagree completely. He had one shift in the Atlanta game where he nailed two guys, and I feel he's played decent, just making the simple plays. Agreed on Bass though, he looked so promising two years ago.

Quote:
He's been ok this season, but he's not NHL material..
With all due respect (and I do appreciate your input on Binghamton since I can never watch them play), I remember a lot of Binghamton fans saying the same thing about Carkner before this season started.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Bobby Blowhard

TMV- I'm hoping for the best but if you ask me any conversation about Bingo call ups just about starts and ends with BSF's (and Ski's) analysis. The two of them have more intelligent insight into Bingo's players than everyone on HF Boards combined.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Bobby Blowhard

sorry to double post. This is hardly a resounding vote of confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoSensFan View Post
This move is quite surprising. Surprising to the point that it could possibly be a showcase. Daugavins is not ready for this and fans are likely to be underwhelmed. His speed, although fine in spurts, is not suitable for the NHL right now. He was much quicker three years ago and hasn't been the same since. He tires easily and still holds the puck a second too long. His points have come mainly due to his hockey sense and positioning. He is no longer as gritty as he was either. As an 18-year old I was enamored with his game and envisioned him in the mold of Esa Tikkanen, but now he needs to regain his speed, stamina, and spunk.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
v-man

Quote:
I watch almost every one online, plus every one live when they come here to Toronto. I attended all but maybe eight of K-Daug's OHL home games over the years, so I know what I'm talking about just as much as them, if not more. And they're not saying he's been unimpressive, they just don't think he's ready yet, which I disagree with.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:57 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
TMV- I'm hoping for the best but if you ask me any conversation about Bingo call ups just about starts and ends with BSF's (and Ski's) analysis. The two of them have more intelligent insight into Bingo's players than everyone on HF Boards combined.
That's fine, but I've grown more and more weary of just leaning on them over the years, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that many Bingo fans just don't like Ottawa. They probably have every right to be though, as they haven't seen a playoff game since the lockout year I believe. But with the internet, you can watch Bingo games anytime and I find myself disagreeing with a lot of their opinions on the players. O'Brien is struggling in his first year down there, but they're already calling him a bust 40 games into his pro career. He may never amount to a whole lot, but to give up on someone so early is a little ridiculous.

Daugavins isn't an NHL player, but he has shown strides in his game from the year before, and has improved his play enough to earn a little shot. It's not like we're deep with young forwards anyway, so might as well give him a chance and see what happens. You never know. It won't be too long anyway, at least until Alfie gets back.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 01-13-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old
01-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Mars, O'Brein is not good, but that's for another thread perhaps..

Like I said for the last time, and I said this last season and the end of the season before when he finished up in Bingo, Kaspars is not NHL material..great, get the call-up and I hope he does well, good kid, has grown into his body but still plays small and plays ok..

Shannon, MSP are even smaller but are skilled..

Trade bait..

Old
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Mars, O'Brein is not good, but that's for another thread perhaps..

Like I said for the last time, and I said this last season and the end of the season before when he finished up in Bingo, Kaspars is not NHL material..great, get the call-up and I hope he does well, good kid, has grown into his body but still plays small and plays ok..

Shannon, MSP are even smaller but are skilled..

Trade bait..
Lets assume he's not playing well enough to warrant the call up. So trade bait potential perhaps- but marginal AHLers rarely get showcased in the NHL especially when that showcase would happen to be their very first NHL game. Their prospect value is usually determined by their history and/or AHL performance. If it were Cody Bass for example under the same circumstances than it would add up, but KDaug on an NHL showcase? Crazier things have happened, and I'll take your word on his play, but that theory has holes imo.

Old
01-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Pangu

Good for him. Where the hell is Brian Lee? Probably the most likely move to make a significant difference to our fortunes and instead we are moving 4th line plugs up and down. I don't care if we have to play 11 forwards, it would be worth it to get Lee up on this team.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Sakaarnis

Daugavins playing in NHL might not be big of a deal for Ottawa, but it is for latvians as he's going to be only 17th latvian to ever play in an NHL game. Hope he does well.

Sakaarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:49 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I hate it when Fuhr is right :-) (which of course is still TBD), but lets hope Daugavins puts on a good showing tonight for the Sens, whether he's trade bait or not. He's put up some good numbers in Bingo of late...I still don't see him becoming a top 2 regular NHL forward based on what I've seen of him, but this organization BADLY needs a positive surprise and/or development.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
You know the Chinese have the same word for crisis as they do opportunity.. may be this is Daugavins crisertunity

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
You know the Chinese have the same word for crisis as they do opportunity.. may be this is Daugavins crisertunity
You're inferring that the SENS brass have lost the Mandate of Heaven, not yet my friend. Confucius says, "Hope is held like lantern on dark night night"

Old
01-14-2010, 10:24 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
You're inferring that the SENS brass have lost the Mandate of Heaven, not yet my friend. Confucius says, "Hope is held like lantern on dark night night"
Nah I ain't that bright ...I was quoting the Simpsons

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
This move is quite surprising. Surprising to the point that it could possibly be a showcase. Daugavins is not ready for this and fans are likely to be underwhelmed. His speed, although fine in spurts, is not suitable for the NHL right now. He was much quicker three years ago and hasn't been the same since. He tires easily and still holds the puck a second too long. His points have come mainly due to his hockey sense and positioning. He is no longer as gritty as he was either. As an 18-year old I was enamored with his game and envisioned him in the mold of Esa Tikkanen, but now he needs to regain his speed, stamina, and spunk.
This has let the air out of my K-Daug balloon. Seems like you are saying K-Daug is actually a dog?

BTW, where have you been BSF? Missing those Bingo reports that you used to do.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
BingoSensFan

TheWeb,

I'm not suggesting he's terrible. It may sound that way from what I wrote, but I was just comparing him to what he used to be. I thought three years ago he had more tools available to him than he does now. Conditioning, injuries, whatever the reason may be, he just doesn't have some of the things he had previously. He's only 21 years old so he could regain those abilities. He has certainly made strides this year and maybe he is well on his way to the form he once had. I would not give up on him in the least. I find him to be an intriguing player, especially if he continues to improve upon last season's play.

As for me, I've been pretty busy these days and don't have time to put reports together.

BingoSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
topshelfie

Love the thread title, I read it and I was like 'ummm why did we trade for MSP and send him down , he wasn't even in the NHL in the first place'!

Still though, its nice that we have our own MSP in some way or another.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
TheWeb,

<...good stuff deleted...>

As for me, I've been pretty busy these days and don't have time to put reports together.
Busy? With what -- family, career, exercise, education?

Are you suggesting that those are more important than hockey?

Straighten out those priorities, man....

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote