HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tambo Pressor on 1260 right now-Pathetic

Old
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
nye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Quick Recap

- Tambo said winning is overrated
- feels ticket price increase is warranted based on the fact the Oilers have consistently delivered 41 home games every year for the past decade
- will move 1st overall pick if the right package for a top 6 forward comes along
- is targeting Kovalchuk next year, him, Lowe and Katz will be flying a plane to Russia on July 1st to convince Ilya to sign. Tambo said he will not pursue any other UFA's or trades until Kovalchuk either signs here or somewhere else. Doesn't have any idea what he'll do if Kovy doen't sign
- Thinks MPS, Eberle, Omarra, CHornery, Omark, Lander, MacDonald and VanderVelde are all NHL ready, will move vets to open spots for them

You forgot that they intend to get Jagr out in their carry-on luggage.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Many fans have escaped the range and ventured into bizarro territory.

'I want greatness, so Hall is a good idea; but wait, I want to watch the Oilers win games, so do something right now! *stomp*'

Even sensible guys, like LT, post hopeful thoughts for Hall and then follow on with complaints of the Oilers 'melting' along with the imperative that Tambo do something about it. Right now! *stomp*

Well, which is it?

It comes down to it being doubtful that very many fans have the patience for building through the draft.

I have the patience for the team to go thru a major rebuild.My problem though is what is Tambo's plan,it seems like he has absolute no plan to make this team good.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I have the patience for the team to go thru a major rebuild.My problem though is what is Tambo's plan,it seems like he has absolute no plan to make this team good.
Again, I'm not seeing where you're going with this.

Since the team hit last in the conference, for example, what should Tambellini have done to show you his plan? What would have been acceptable to you?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Hunt4Oil

Did anyone actually expect him to say anything of importance.....honestly? Not sure why anyone would even tune in to such a waste of time at this point. As long as Tambo doesn't actually believe that the Oilers still have a shot this year or does he? I would like to see Souray and Moreau at least gone at the deadline. Moreau will be a giveaway if we are lucky to have someone just take him for say a 800th round pick....I would really hope Souray could get us a 1st rounder, asking too much perhaps? Horcoff, well I won't even go there we all know he'll be here until his great contract runs out. I'd be okay with seeing Visnosky get us a 1st rounder too. As long as Tambo is thinking tank then I don't care what he says.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:18 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Again, I'm not seeing where you're going with this.

Since the team hit last in the conference, for example, what should Tambellini have done to show you his plan? What would have been acceptable to you?

What the **** has the guy done since he came here on July 31,2008? All he has to show for his time being here is acquiring Patrick O"Sullivan.Now looking back at that trade I wish he never made the trade cause Patrick O'Sullivan is waste and a *****.

Old
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Heard part of it, my recap...

I think I heard him defending the Captain's "dumb penalties" (exact words of the reporter). I don't expect anyone from the Oilers throw Moreau under the bus, but man trying to defend his clutch sin bin visits... come on.
Listening now, regarding that...

Tambo: (a little perturbed, to reporter) "Well, that's your opinion"

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Seachd

Quote:
What the **** has the guy done since he came here on July 31,2008? All he has to show for his time being here is acquiring Patrick O"Sullivan.Now looking back at that trade I wish he never made the trade cause Patrick O'Sullivan is waste and a *****.
That's fine, but if that's your reasoning, you're not answering my question, and you're not focusing on the situation at hand.

Whether you like what he's done up to now or not, I'm asking about today. Since the team hit the skids and has ended up in the basement (in other words, true rebuilding territory), what could he have done to show you his plan?

He's never been in the situation with this team as the GM before, so I'm wondering what he's done to show you he doesn't have a plan.

Old
01-13-2010, 08:24 PM
oilersfan11

Now I see why Vancouver kept ignoring him to become their gm.

Old
01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
MePutPuckInNet

...there's nothing wrong with O'Sullivan that being on a half-way decent team wouldn't cure.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Why not judge him by his actions rather than his words.

So far:

A second round pick for Kotalik who walked.

Brodziak given away.

Chris Neal offered a contract equivalent to a second line player.

Effectively Cole for O'Sullivan.

Comrie signed.

Khabilbulin signed.

Laraque offered stupid contract.

The chase for the Great White Whale

A very underwhelming 18 months of work IMO.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
...there's nothing wrong with O'Sullivan that being on a half-way decent team wouldn't cure.
I will say this, O'Sullivan is a fine support player but he will never be a go to guy.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
That's fine, but if that's your reasoning, you're not answering my question, and you're not focusing on the situation at hand.

Whether you like what he's done up to now or not, I'm asking about today. Since the team hit the skids and has ended up in the basement (in other words, true rebuilding territory), what could he have done to show you his plan?

He's never been in the situation with this team as the GM before, so I'm wondering what he's done to show you he doesn't have a plan.

I think he doesen't have a plan because there are obvious problems that this team has (Winning faceoffs,Killing penalties,getting a tough stay at home d man) during the offseason any gm should easily be able to fix these issues.He though did jack all and fixed none of these issues and right now we are still brutal on the faceoff dot.We sux at killing penalties.We aswell have a bunch of ******* for defence.

Old
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Ganz
Dibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
I will say this, O'Sullivan is a fine support player but he will never be a go to guy.
Exactly. Wasn't ever the go-to guy in LA

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Why not judge him by his actions rather than his words.

So far:

A second round pick for Kotalik who walked.

Brodziak given away.

Chris Neal offered a contract equivalent to a second line player.

Effectively Cole for O'Sullivan.

Comrie signed.

Khabilbulin signed.

Laraque offered stupid contract.

The chase for the Great White Whale

A very underwhelming 18 months of work IMO.

Which failed and he could't even do.

Old
01-13-2010, 08:40 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Well, I disagree - but respect your opinion. I think he's "a" go-to guy on a good team [maybe not "the" go-to guy though]. But, I don't think he can handle the disarray that is the Edmonton Oilers, same problem in LA....both teams being near carbon copies of each other [not this seasons Kings, but the Kings of the past 2 seasons].

I'm not saying Patrick is the greatest ever, either. He has some flaws. But he is a much better player than what he's seemed so far in Edmonton. I think he's not quite capable of making a bad team good. But I think he could definitely make a good team much better. Lack of confidence has always been an issue for him and I think it always will be...it's made even more of an issue with a team in utter chaos as the Oilers are now. He's going to need a stable environment in order to really get the best out of him...sadly, something the Oilers are at least 2 years away from.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
nye

Quote:

I doubt it, if your posts are taken seriously.

Building through the draft requires patience and long periods of not reacting to losing like the Leafs and Rangers did and still do.

It requires playing two youngish goalies, even if they lose far more than they win, and not trading players who will get better for a quick fix in goal for this year.

It requires building up players and trading them at a high, not running them out of town when they are near all-time lows.

It requires having a losing team, drafting a player like Seguin, and then sending him back to junior for another year of finishing if that is the best thing for the development of the player.

It requires drafting a player like Hall, and forget any big-name UFAs to support him, because ideally you go back high the next year too. For what it's worth, it means taking Fowler with whatever of the top three picks this year the Oilers get, because it takes D longer to develop to their potential so ideally you start drafting high at G and D and then add the F's in later years.

It requires a lot of patience with losing. Reading blogs and forums, it does not seem to me that many Oiler fans have the sort of patience it requires to build the Pens or the Blackhawks. Most seem to be content with management that would make the Leafs proud.

When the manager does everything that is required to ensure a high draft pick and to maximise return from vets to be traded, by playing the young goalies and trying to build players up while waiting for the silly season of the trade-deadline, people are screaming that he is incompetent. They want action, right now! *stomp*

The best sign of a plan may actually be that nothing happens.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

There is less than a 1% chance that we make the playoffs.

Right now I can't decide if I want Hall or Seguin. Something tells me Seguin for some reason.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:

Building through the draft requires patience and long periods of not reacting to losing like the Leafs and Rangers did and still do.

It requires playing two youngish goalies, even if they lose far more than they win, and not trading players who will get better for a quick fix in goal for this year.

It requires building up players and trading them at a high, not running them out of town when they are near all-time lows.

It requires having a losing team, drafting a player like Seguin, and then sending him back to junior for another year of finishing if that is the best thing for the development of the player.

It requires drafting a player like Hall, and forget any big-name UFAs to support him, because ideally you go back high the next year too. For what it's worth, it means taking Fowler with whatever of the top three picks this year the Oilers get, because it takes D longer to develop to their potential so ideally you start drafting high at G and D and then add the F's in later years.

It requires a lot of patience with losing. Reading blogs and forums, it does not seem to me that many Oiler fans have the sort of patience it requires to build the Pens or the Blackhawks. Most seem to be content with management that would make the Leafs proud.

When the manager does everything that is required to ensure a high draft pick and to maximise return from vets to be traded, by playing the young goalies and trying to build players up while waiting for the silly season of the trade-deadline, people are screaming that he is incompetent. They want action, right now! *stomp*

I think this is what most Oiler fans want to know and of course we won't get the answers until deadline day. Every year since 06 they've tried filling the gaps and it obviously hasn't worked. I believe that a lot of Oiler fans just want to see that a true rebuild is actually in the process, then I think a bit more patience will be in order. The one thing I got from Lowe's interview with Stauffer is they are looking towards the new arena era and the key ingredients will be drafting and developing. I am in for 3-4 year rebuild if that is what it takes, I think most true Oiler fans would be too. We just need a sign, trade Souray for a pick, unload the dead weight if possible....start a new leadership core with the young guys etc.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Offshore Oil

Quote:

Finally - words of patient wisdom. We can suck for a while.

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Which failed and he could't even do.
That's what the term means. c.f. Ishmael.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

There is less than a 1% chance that we make the playoffs.

Right now I can't decide if I want Hall or Seguin. Something tells me Seguin for some reason.
"Lost to Predators 3-5, playoff odds down 0.0 to 0.05509%"

I love the precision on that figure. FIVE decimal points. Awesome.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:06 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
This is one thing I don't get sometimes. Do teams hire scouts and staff to watch other teams? I know they can't watch every single game, but I'm sure most teams know what Moreau brings.

I don't think teams just turn off if Tambo says some harsh things here and there.
They may still go through with the deal, but chances are the return will be less than it was before. If a team has a less than glowing view of a player, why would you give up anything of value for the player.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
bzur

Quote:

Post of the thread right here. Top Drawer.
I agree with you... If the plan is to rebuild, then we will not see a whole lot going on... I can see us staying the course, getting rid of any pending UFAs or veterans that we can at the deadline, and maybe a trade or two for picks at the draft. Until the draft I wouldn't expect anything to happen unless we legitimately think making changes will get us into the playoffs.
You've actually made me feel a lot better about how things are going, and I now couldn't care less if we didn't make any moves until the deadline unless it's for someone we'd dump at the deadline, and it got us picks or prospects like I'd expect at the deadline.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Seachd

Quote:

Excellent post. I can't understand how some will say a rebuild is the best thing, and then expect immediate action. It doesn't make much sense.

I hope the patience is there for those running the team. I don't think it will be there for most fans.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Excellent post. I can't understand how some will say a rebuild is the best thing, and then expect immediate action. It doesn't make much sense.

I hope the patience is there for those running the team. I don't think it will be there for most fans.
It's a 3 to 5 year process and patience is the key.

However, the oiler management team has shown no patience.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote