HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tambo Pressor on 1260 right now-Pathetic

Old
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He sure as hell hasn't shown that he is smarter than the collective board with his moves as GM so far.
But to be fair, it's impossible to know what trades, and signings were available to him in his limited time here.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fu View Post
Back to Thailand?
Wow, really? Stay classy.

How you haven't joined your asterisked brethren in purgatory yet is beyond me.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:38 PM
GDU

Man this dumping on the gm stuff is old guys...

the players play the game, most if not all of the players on this team have underperformed, some injured...

last year it was evident the coach had worn out his welcome, tambo did the deed and hired a pretty impressive group to take charge...

his work at the draft was steller, with lander being picked, roy, rajalla, etc. obviously picking mps at 10th was a no brainer...

the khabby signing looks bad now, but it was actually made with lots of foresight imo. don't forget the guy wanted to play here and he would have been a great mentor for jdd this season, hopefully he will return next year...

siging comrie over kotilek was a great move, pr wise and the fact that we don't have kotilek at 3 million for 3 years... please, we have enough bad contracts on this team, if he had made that signing people here would be discussing how bad it was as we speak... comrie got mono, that's tambo's fault?

i will judge tambo once the trade deadline and draft are over, if he keeps stocking young players, getting assets for veterans, making some good deals, and drafting well, i am pretty confident he will build us a winner, but it won't be for a couple years...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
But to be fair, it's impossible to know what trades, and signings were available to him in his limited time here.
At the very minimum he has to shed this team of some of the dead weight even if it is on the cheap. He should move one of our big ticket cap strapping players. If he can't do that at a very very minimum he has to dump the likes of Moreau and Staios who are well past the best before date. Have contracts bigger than their worth and taking up spots that can be filled by younger guys.

And please no one mention the lack of 'leadership' because Moreau has shown none of it. To just sit on their hands and not move guys for a few picks is a total derelection of duty.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:46 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
At the very minimum he has to shed this team of some of the dead weight even if it is on the cheap. He should move one of our big ticket cap strapping players. If he can't do that at a very very minimum he has to dump the likes of Moreau and Staios who are well past the best before date. Have contracts bigger than their worth and taking up spots that can be filled by younger guys.

And please no one mention the lack of 'leadership' because Moreau has shown none of it. To just sit on their hands and not move guys for a few picks is a total derelection of duty.
I agree with everything you said. I think Tambo should do all those things. But that is based on how the team has performed over the past couple months.

What I'm saying is it's not fair to judge him based on the fact that he has not done those things yet. If next training camp rolls around and our roster looks as it does today, then you can call him incompetent.

Doing so right now, IMO, is jumping the gun.

Old
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Beerfish

the players play the game, most if not all of the players on this team have underperformed, some injured...

last year it was evident the coach had worn out his welcome, tambo did the deed and hired a pretty impressive group to take charge...

his work at the draft was steller, with lander being picked, roy, rajalla, etc. obviously picking mps at 10th was a no brainer...

MPS was the only slam dunk good pick of the draft. Some of the others may pan out. I didn't like the Lander pick then and I still don't like it.

the khabby signing looks bad now, but it was actually made with lots of foresight imo. don't forget the guy wanted to play here and he would have been a great mentor for jdd this season, hopefully he will return next year...

Foresight? We could have resigned Roloson for much cheaper for a shorter term. Instead we gambled big on a goalie with a long injury history and a long term deal.

siging comrie over kotilek was a great move, pr wise and the fact that we don't have kotilek at 3 million for 3 years... please, we have enough bad contracts on this team, if he had made that signing people here would be discussing how bad it was as we speak... comrie got mono, that's tambo's fault?

At the end of last year the message was....we have to be a more gritty in your face team! The only forward he signs is Comrie.

i will judge tambo once the trade deadline and draft are over, if he keeps stocking young players, getting assets for veterans, making some good deals, and drafting well, i am pretty confident he will build us a winner, but it won't be for a couple years...

Keeps getting assets for veterans? More like starts getting assets for veterans. He also tried to trade Penner, Cogs and Smid for Heatley. He had no intention of 'rebuilding', just like Lowe before him. The grand rebuild plan has only come into play now that the oilers are way way out of the playoffs. The guy actually needs to get a plan.

Old
01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I agree with everything you said. I think Tambo should do all those things. But that is based on how the team has performed over the past couple months.

What I'm saying is it's not fair to judge him based on the fact that he has not done those things yet. If next training camp rolls around and our roster looks as it does today, then you can call him incompetent.

Doing so right now, IMO, is jumping the gun.
We will have to agree to disagree then. His actions since he took over do not speak of a guy who had a solid plan and was carrying it out.

Old
01-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Not in the last six months.
Not since before Vanek. Arguably only the last month could one suppose they are thinking rebuild.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 10:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree then. His actions since he took over do not speak of a guy who had a solid plan and was carrying it out.
Fair enough.

Old
01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
You could just say you're out of stuff to type.
Or we could say you're just out of bad ideas?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:03 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:

MPS was the only slam dunk good pick of the draft. Some of the others may pan out. I didn't like the Lander pick then and I still don't like it.

Foresight? We could have resigned Roloson for much cheaper for a shorter term. Instead we gambled big on a goalie with a long injury history and a long term deal.

At the end of last year the message was....we have to be a more gritty in your face team! The only forward he signs is Comrie.

Keeps getting assets for veterans? More like starts getting assets for veterans. He also tried to trade Penner, Cogs and Smid for Heatley. He had no intention of 'rebuilding', just like Lowe before him. The grand rebuild plan has only come into play now that the oilers are way way out of the playoffs. The guy actually needs to get a plan.
And what, you were fooled into thinking Tambo was rebuilding back then? Or is all the above your spin of tired arguments, he said-she said, walking the line in your mind? If so, good account.

The plan was to get the best offensive player available at that draft. Our most glaring need. Some can't see the forest for the trees they believe so hard that Tambo, or Lowe for that matter, never had a plan. They have plans. They just don't fit with some peoples agendas.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:05 PM
CupofOil

I don't feel like going through 5 pages of thread right now so can someone give me a brief synopsis of what he said..... If he said that he's holding out hope for the playoffs, well lets say that i will not be a happy young man.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't feel like going through 5 pages of thread right now so can someone give me a brief synopsis of what he said..... If he said that he's holding out hope for the playoffs, well lets say that i will not be a happy young man.
When asked if he was worried for his job, his reply

"..I've been told if things don't improve I could be bumped to President"

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post

I don't suppose you have a hole in your cheek where your tongue has been firmly planted?

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:28 PM
NMK

Regardless of what he really thinks, the GM, the coach, the captain can and will never say "we are giving up hope for making the playoffs." C'mon, everyone knows they aren't going to make it, and they have already said they will not be making any major moves to improve the team at the trade deadline. They are going for the top overall pick, but they won't come out and say it anytime while their players are still trying(?) to win games.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

NOOOOOOO, so does that mean that KLowe will be bumped to owner?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
The plan was to get the best offensive player available at that draft. Our most glaring need. Some can't see the forest for the trees they believe so hard that Tambo, or Lowe for that matter, never had a plan. They have plans. They just don't fit with some peoples agendas.
I think they have a plan also, I just think it's a fatally flawed plan. I think the plan is to keep their own draft picks, try to nurture the current young players, and still attempt to make the playoffs each year. I think Tambolini believes the team is essentially close to being a contender, and if they make a trade to land a star player, and wait for the prospects to mature, they will be contenders. I think they believe in drafting, but I don't think they see the need to draft high in the draft. But I think this belief that they can garner enough talent from anywhere in the draft stem from the idea of the following paragraph -- I think the Oilers overvalue their personnel.

The reason I think it's fatally flawed is because I think it is completely unrealistic to think the current team + current prospects will contend, even if they manage to land a big fish. As others have said, I think it really points to the fact that management does not realize how far the Oilers are away from being a legitimate Stanley cup threat (say top 8 in the league). I think they seem easily fooled by the play of prospects and young players at tournaments like the super-series, or WJC, or by the play of players over short spurts in the NHL. Based on these optimistic evaluations of their team, management believes these prospects will become star players, and the team will become a contender.

I think the plan is to essentially hope that everything works out perfectly. If Khabi remains healthy and plays like he does in contract years, if horcoff plays like he did in 2005-2006, if Souray remains healthy and plays like he did in 2008-2009, if Moreau and Pisani play like they did in 2005, if Gagner, Nilsson, and Cogliano play like they did for 20 odd games in 2007-2008, if MPS and Eberle translate their game to the NHL, then they will be contenders. But this is true of most teams in the NHL, and to pray that everyone has banner years, or will develop to their ceiling is not, IMO, a good way to run a franchise.

Last edited by oil slick: 01-13-2010 at 11:45 PM.
oil slick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 11:42 PM
NMK

To the OP, I just watched the Presser on the Oilers website and Tambo says a few things, none of which are pathetic...
-They will not make any moves towards improving the team for this season.
-They will not rush Khabbi (ie: they don't want him back until he is absolutely ready, and it sounded like even if he might be ok, they might sit him until next year anyway).
-He never says anything about making the playoffs.
-Says Moreau is working hard, and tough to say whether or not his penatly was a good one; everyone has a different view (again not throwing his player under the bus, but obviously not ecstatic with his play).

Old
01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
To the OP, I just watched the Presser on the Oilers website and Tambo says a few things, none of which are pathetic...
-They will not make any moves towards improving the team for this season.
-They will not rush Khabbi (ie: they don't want him back until he is absolutely ready, and it sounded like even if he might be ok, they might sit him until next year anyway).
-He never says anything about making the playoffs.
-Says Moreau is working hard, and tough to say whether or not his penatly was a good one; everyone has a different view (again not throwing his player under the bus, but obviously not ecstatic with his play).
I heard the same Presser on the Oilers website and I agree with you 100%. Nothing was mentioned about playoffs like you said.

01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
NMK

Quote:
Quick Recap

- Tambo said winning is overrated
- feels ticket price increase is warranted based on the fact the Oilers have consistently delivered 41 home games every year for the past decade
- will move 1st overall pick if the right package for a top 6 forward comes along
- is targeting Kovalchuk next year, him, Lowe and Katz will be flying a plane to Russia on July 1st to convince Ilya to sign. Tambo said he will not pursue any other UFA's or trades until Kovalchuk either signs here or somewhere else. Doesn't have any idea what he'll do if Kovy doen't sign
- Thinks MPS, Eberle, Omarra, CHornery, Omark, Lander, MacDonald and VanderVelde are all NHL ready, will move vets to open spots for them
Tambo did not say this.

Old
01-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Tambo did not say this.
No kidding. Unbelievable the lies some people write just to bash management.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Tambo did not say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
No kidding. Unbelievable the lies some people write just to bash management.
Good lord people. How obvious does sarcasm have to be before you figure it out?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Or we could say you're just out of bad ideas?
And what were my bad ideas? Let's see just what you're actually arguing here and if you bother to notice what anyone else says.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Good lord people. How obvious does sarcasm have to be before you figure it out?
It's embarrassing really.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I don't really blame Tambellini for not tipping his hand here and trying to put a spin on the current situation - they have to fill Rexall afterall - but I'm frustrated as to why he called a presser about well, virtually nothing.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote