HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mike Brophy: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin to KHL?

Old
01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
alberta2

vCash: 500
Mike Brophy: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin to KHL?

Not sure if this has been posted or not, and my apologies if it has but I just read an interesting article by Mike Brophy at sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/...ovalchuk_ovie/

Could the lure of $20 million a season cause Ilya Kovalchuk to leave the NHL and return home to play in the KHL?

At least one NHL general manager thinks it is possible.

"(Alexander) Medvedev is on a mission," said the GM, who requested anonymity. "He’s paying (Sergei) Fedorov $14 million this season so how much do you think he’d pay to get Kovalchuk? Twenty million a season? That’s what I’ve heard."

Medvedov is the president of the KHL.

Considering players in the KHL do not pay taxes, nor do they pay escrow like they do in the NHL, if this is true then Kovalchuk stands to make a lot more playing in Russian than he could in North America. Not only that, there has been speculation NHL players could face another salary rollback during the next collective bargaining agreement talks.

Kovalchuk, currently 11th in NHL scoring with 26 goals and 50 points in 39 games, is in the midst of contact negotiations with the Atlanta Thrashers and there is all kind of speculation the team will trade him if they cannot get his signature on an extension. It has been reported he is looking for in the neighborhood of $10 million a season for 10 years.

Said one NHL player: "That is impressive. For one year, wow, that's like six-to-seven years here after taxes."

Considering the Thrashers are struggling at the gate, it seems highly unlikely they could pay one player that kind of money – unless, of course, they sign him in order to sell the franchise. There is speculation the owners would like to sell the team and they suspect it is worth more with him than without him.

A number of teams have expressed interest in acquiring Kovalchuk, but they must decide if they first need to get his name on a contract as part of the deal or can they risk taking him as a rental player only to have him leave at the end of the year. It could be costly to a team to trade for him and then have him bolt in the off-season, the way Marian Hossa did after his short stint with Pittsburgh two years ago.

Kovalchuk isn’t the only player in the sights of the KHL. A source told sportsnet.ca Washington’s Alexander Ovechkin is so upset about having to pay 18 per cent of his salary to escrow he is prepared to pondering leaving the Capitals after this season. Sources say Ovechkin expressed his displeasure with having to pay escrow during an NHLPA conference call meant to talk about the direction of the organization.

Personally I think if something like this were to happen, it would be the beginning of the end for multiple franchises across the league. I'm also not sure I believe the part about Ovechkin being upset over taxes, but then again, I'm just a fan. Anyways, Thoughts?

alberta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Heat McManus

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaannn!

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Weren't some teams in the KHL late in paying their players? They can ahead and start paying ridiculous salaries if they want. They will not be able to sustain the health of their league long if they do though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

How is the president of the KHL able to throw money at players? That's just weird.

If he wants to throw 14 mil at guys like Federov, then 20 at Kovy, another however much to whomever, I can't see how that League will last. Whatever, go ahead.

Players dream of hoisting the Cup, top talent is still here, guys who can't really cut it have gone overseas. I don't think this will be an issue for a very long time, if it ever is.

01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
ult

Quote:
He’s paying (Sergei) Fedorov $14 million this season
I lol'd. Where did they get this info?
20 mil for Kovy? No way. Even if Medvedev will offer the same amount of money as nhl, Kovy will save about 40% of it on taxes alone.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 177
Go for it! I like the idea of an open market. If a player can go over and make 20 million a year it would be hard to begrudge him for it. I just hope my team doesn't draft any Russians for the foreseeable future; not worth the risk.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Mach 9*

Yeah, but the KHL has known to screw things up big time, and not pay players the $20 Mil. in US currency, but rather a much lower amount, sometimes up to , and possibly more than 50% less.

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
How is the president of the KHL able to throw money at players? That's just weird.

If he wants to throw 14 mil at guys like Federov, then 20 at Kovy, another however much to whomever, I can't see how that League will last. Whatever, go ahead.

Players dream of hoisting the Cup, top talent is still here, guys who can't really cut it have gone overseas. I don't think this will be an issue for a very long time, if it ever is.
Agreed. I will be laughing my ass off if they start giving every good Russian player 10+ million dollar contracts to keep them home only to find out they can't afford to pay them in a few seasons.

Old
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta2 View Post
Personally I think if something like this were to happen, it would be the beginning of the end for multiple franchises across the league. I'm also not sure I believe the part about Ovechkin being upset over taxes, but then again, I'm just a fan. Anyways, Thoughts?
Meh, the NHL survived and did well for decades without Russians, I think they'd do OK without them now. It would suck to not be able to see some of their talent on the ice, but I don't think it'll be detrimental.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
SactoShork
SYMSL

vCash: 3000
I'm loving the irony of Russian millionaires not paying taxes.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Dogkota

Kovalchuk, maybe, but Ovechkin? No way. Salary aside, you think Ovie could make the amount of cash from endorsement deals in Russia that he can in the States? The NHL also offers worldwide renown, which the KHL has shown no signs of being able to replicate.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

People scoffing at Russian billionaires should get into the 21st century. These guys are richer than your wildest dreams, and are willing to build up sporting empires.

You simply need to look at Chelsea over the last decade for evidence of that. I think the expansion of the KHL into Europe is one of the means for rich Europeans to reclaim their top players, and given the money that these oligarchs have at their disposal, I think they will find some success amidst the hubris of the NHL.

These Russian oligarchs have also thrown around millions sniffing at basketball players like Lebron James and Kobe Bryant. The difference between hockey and basketball in Russia however is that hockey already has a bit of a foothold and some of the top players in the world are Russian.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
The article says upset about paying Escrow.

9mil salary
18% of 9mil is 1.62mil, his salary is now 7.38mil
Taxes are what, 35-40%?
4.4-4.8mil is his take home salary roughly

Then again he's also making money off advertisements.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogkota View Post
Kovalchuk, maybe, but Ovechkin? No way. Salary aside, you think Ovie could make the amount of cash from endorsement deals in Russia that he can in the States? The NHL also offers worldwide renown, which the KHL has shown no signs of being able to replicate.
I think this is something a lot of people fail to consider. This is the best league in the world. You can't build a legacy as an all-time great unless you play the best years of your life here. Ovechkin has a shot at top-10 all-time and Kovalchuk top-50. Even if they go over there and star, and we appropriately credit them for those years, there's no way they reach those heights.

Who needs that much money, anyway?

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
The article says upset about paying Escrow.

9mil salary
18% of 9mil is 1.62mil, his salary is now 7.38mil
Taxes are what, 35-40%?
4.4-4.8mil is his take home salary roughly

Then again he's also making money off advertisements.
...plus you get your escrow money back, assuming revenues go as projected. That was the point of the partnership.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I don't know maybe it's just me but anytime I hear Brophy speak he just seems unintelligent to me. He seems like he has no idea what he's talking about half the time.

That and he's called Shawn Horcoff a number 1 center numerous times. I just don't think the guy is connected with anything or knowledgeable about anything

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Section337

I don't get why everybody wants to death knell things with these types of reports. If the KHL team can afford it and Kovalchuk wants to go, good for both of them. As far as the NHL, no team can compete with that type of money for a player, because the CBA would not allow it.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Deadbolt401

Aww c'mon. No need.

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

PLEEEEEEAAAAASEEEE...
Just make it stop!

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Russians DO pay taxes, its just a flat tax, and its a much cheaper tax rate there than it would be for millionaires who play here. Sorry, just a pet peeve that "they dont pay any taxes," that's completely false, taxes are paid.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Dylonus

I call BS on the ovechkin info.

ovechkin is infatuated with the capitals organization, there's no way he's going to leave.

he pays 18% of his salary back? you mean he pays back 1.9 million per season in escrow??

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
...plus you get your escrow money back, assuming revenues go as projected. That was the point of the partnership.
Nope.

You get your escrow money back, assuming revenues go as projected (5% HRR growth), AND average team payrolls are at the cap midpoint.

If most teams are over the midpoint and close to the cap, then the players will give back significant $$$'s through escrow, unless HRR growth greatly exceeds the 5% kicker.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
People scoffing at Russian billionaires should get into the 21st century. These guys are richer than your wildest dreams, and are willing to build up sporting empires.

You simply need to look at Chelsea over the last decade for evidence of that. I think the expansion of the KHL into Europe is one of the means for rich Europeans to reclaim their top players, and given the money that these oligarchs have at their disposal, I think they will find some success amidst the hubris of the NHL.

These Russian oligarchs have also thrown around millions sniffing at basketball players like Lebron James and Kobe Bryant. The difference between hockey and basketball in Russia however is that hockey already has a bit of a foothold and some of the top players in the world are Russian.
I was going to write something like this. I would not be surprised at all if within the next 10 years we see a boatload of elite players in their primes heading over to the KHL.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post

You also underestimate billionaires' greed. Are they willing to potentially operate a franchise that loses money every year, like it's a hobby or something? Because that could be a real possibility if they start trying to hand out ridiculous contracts just to keep top Russians at home.

You also can't compare Chelsea and what Abramovich has done there to the KHL. The English Premier league is one of the most followed leagues in the world with a much better financial situation. The KHL is a league in its infancy that mostly only Eastern Europeans watch. It's not really similar at all.

Old
01-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
A source told sportsnet.ca Washington’s Alexander Ovechkin is so upset about having to pay 18 per cent of his salary to escrow he is prepared to pondering leaving the Capitals after this season. Sources say Ovechkin expressed his displeasure with having to pay escrow during an NHLPA conference call meant to talk about the direction of the organization.
What is it with these Russian players and contracts? All they see is a dollar amount when they sign - they don't see things like obligations, rules, and regulations under a cap system.

Honour the damn contract you sign - is that so hard to understand? I have no respect for oath breakers. Let's see what sort of man Ovechkin is...

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote