HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

John Scott destroys Alexadre Bolduc

Old
01-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Andrew Sykes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
I would love to see either John Scott or Derek Boogard on the Canucks. Who cares if they dont score goals, thats not what their payed to do. Scott would look good as a 7th d-man that could be plugged into games against teams with legit heavies or Boogard could just replace Hordichuk, sure he might not put up the 2 or 3 goals that Hordichuk will but he will win more fights and provide more of a "presence" on the ice
What presence does Boogaard have exactly? The only presence I can see him having him is that the other teams heavyweight might be afraid to fight him....the only thing he does is either fight the other teams worst player or he doesn't...so how is that helping his team win the game? Maybe if he could actually skate fast enough to hit guys and be a good forechecker he would have a "presence" but he can't and he doesn't. he is nothing but a liability on the ice.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:56 AM
SomE

If you are gunna fight someone that is 6'8" make sure the guy couldn't hurt a kitten. Isn't that what Rypien does? Sure makes him look good and most fans are too stupid to realize that.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Canucks5551

Looking back, I think Bolduc actually took that one. He gave Scott's knuckles a real beating

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Fire Brunet*

WHAT THE **** WAS BOLDUC THINKING LOL

I'm laughing so hard right now.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
hahahahah I know less about the game? Buddy, you are arguing that Boogaard and Scott are good hockey players and saying that they are sought after commodities, give your head a shake!!! If you put together a list of all the heavyweight fighters in the league they would both probably be the worst hockey players of the bunch, Boogaard for sure the worst.
You must not have heard of Andrew Peters then.

You can't judge on how productive someone is based upon how many goals they scored. John Scott is a defenseman who doesn't play on the PP. He's obviously not going to score a lot of goals (and he's only played like 50 or so games in his career so far).

Derek Boogaard's job isn't to score goals. It's to protect his teammates, hit, and create energy. Boogaard is always looking to throw hits every time he's out there.

I'm not quite sure why you have a grudge with Scott and Boogaard. Boogaard must be doing something right because he's been one of the longest tenured Wild players (hasn't been sent down to Houston yet since playing in the NHL) and probably has sold around the same number of jerseys as Marian Gaborik.

NJDEVILS17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:22 AM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
6'8 255 against 6'3 178. Congratulations John Scott. He and Boogaard don't belong on an NHL roster, probably not even AHL. Based on skill they probably wouldn't cut it in your local beer league.
Did you even watch the video? It's not like John Scott made Bolduc fight him. It was a perfectly mutual fight and Scott happened to win it.

Old
01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Avery4Byng*

Bolduc obviously does not do his homework in the fighting department. Either that or he's an idiot.... Flip a coin.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:42 AM
FruityPants3*

So much character by Bolduc. Taking on a guy much larger, taking off his visored helmet, and taking a beating when it sounds like he was being thrown to the wolves by AV.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:43 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
Bolduc obviously does not do his homework in the fighting department. Either that or he's an idiot.... Flip a coin.
Or he's trying to keep an NHL job and willing to do anything keep his dream alive. But yeah, he's a stupid idiot seems more likely.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:50 AM
God
Free Citizen

fyi bolduc is 6'1

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 01:51 AM
NJDEVILS17*

I hope someone on the Canucks bought Bolduc a beer after the game.

The guys has massive balls.

Old
01-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Teppo

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you claimed that every team would be all over them if they were placed on waivers. I'm here to tell you that they wouldn't be, trust me.
I will respond to this, but lets just be clear on a few previous points you have made:

1) You know better who should or should not be on an NHL roster than Lemaire, Fletcher, and Richards.

2) That the Wild have not made the playoffs in a few years - despite that they won the division two seasons ago, and were one point away from winning the division previous to that season. Hell, I think they were only a point away from the playoffs last year (with Gabby out almost all season). So you kind of look bad on this one as well.

3) One other good one that I forgot about was that you were pretty sure Chuck Fletcher is only a GM because of his dad, so the fact that he likes Boogaard in the lineup does not really mean anything.

Any one of the three above, automatically exclude you from having any credibility on this topic... but this is fun, so I will continue.

Now for this point - I never claimed "every team" would be all over them. I claimed that there would be a frenzy, a race essentially, to claim them off waivers. Teams that already have a legit heavyweight would have no interest - teams that do not have a legit heavyweight, in general would be interested.

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 06:28 AM
orcatown

My guess is that Bolduc's shoulder went early and he couldn't hang on. His shoulder is in rough shape and thus Scott was able to hold him at arms length and clobber him.

Both Scott and Boogaard are UFAs next season so we'll see if there is some "big frenzy" to sign them in the of season.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:11 AM
jabberhockey

I don't have a problem with AV tapping Hordichuk or Bolduc on the shoulder and saying "go fight someone." It's barbaric, but whatever...I like my hockey with fights. However, if AV told Bolduc to go fight John Scott specifically then I think that's just wrong. Bolduc never stood a chance and now his shoulder and face are just messed up.

As an aside, props to both Scott and Boogard. Neither of them had to fight at that point in the game and both backed off slightly once they had their opponents in a vulnerable position.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 07:13 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
No, Boogaard has no say in whether they make the playoffs or don't make them which in itself is sad because that means that he basically means nothing at all to the team.
If you really think Boogaard means nothing to the team, I don't even know why I'm bothering.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Bolduc was completely embarrassed. What was he thinking?

The Canucks have so many other guys who could have actually given Scott a challenge.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Teppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
If you really think Boogaard means nothing to the team, I don't even know why I'm bothering.
Come one - he is Andrew Sykes. Are you telling me that guys like Jacques Lemaire, Todd Richards, and Chuck Fletcher, who all condone a lineup with Boogaard or Scott in it, know more about the game than Andrew Sykes? Next thing you will be saying is that Andrew Sykes will not be the next GM of the Maple Leafs (or any team he decides to be the GM for as I am sure all teams will fight for him as the GM).

Give your head a shake!

Old
01-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Teppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
My guess is that Bolduc's shoulder went early and he couldn't hang on. His shoulder is in rough shape and thus Scott was able to hold him at arms length and clobber him.

Both Scott and Boogaard are UFAs next season so we'll see if there is some "big frenzy" to sign them in the of season.
You sure Scott is a UFA? Seems too young - maybe RFA?

At any rate, there is a bit of a difference between a pickup off waivers and signing an UFA - especially in the cap era. Picking a guy like Boogaard up on waivers, requires no long term commitment, and you are paying him at his current salary, so there is no bidding war. This would cause a frenzy with teams that feel they need a bigtime heavyweight in their lineup for the rest of the season and a playoff run (I think Canucks are a good example of that).

There would not be such a frenzy to sign Boogaard as a UFA because that will become a bidding war and it will become a question of whether money is better spent on a proven veteran heavyweight, or if you are better off signing a rookie player that could possibly fill the role of a heavyweight at 1/4 of the salary.

Old
01-14-2010, 08:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Let's try to keep these discussions impersonal, guys.

Also, John Scott is huge. Jesus.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
if the allegations that the canuck players were told to fight...i don't understand why Rypien didn't get the tap on the shoulder over Boulduc. It doesn't make any sense. With Hordi and Boogaard, at least Hordi is experienced and--you never know--a guy who knows what he's doing out there can win a giant upset with a perfectly timed dodge and punch. Rypien would have pulled Scott in close and even if he didn't get his arm pumping he would have at least stayed out of the reach of scott.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 10:54 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
I think Scott's arms were twice as long as Bolduc's. Bolduc got some good elbow shots in there though. Might've even hit the armpit.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Most teams have figured out that you don't need a guy like him, and instead they fill their 4th line with guys that are tough and can grind, but can also play the game a little bit. The Chicago Blackhawks are a perfect example.
As a Blackhawk fan I would love to see Boogaard on the Hawks 4th line. Eager is not a guy you want fighting big guys, and behind him there is nothing. Bring in Boogaard and tell him to fight anyone that touches Toews, Kane and Keith.

Screw the instigator and any misconducts.

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
ugrakarma

I'd take either one of them over the human punching bag Barch. They are not there to guarantee playoff success but to provide relative safety for the players during the regular season.

ugrakarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Danny Woodhead

I was watching the Wild feed on the NHL network last night, and they had a reporter between the two benches who said that Scott skated by the Canucks bench and said something to the effect of "If any of you want to stop talking and start dancing, I'm right here". So even if Bolduc was the one who officially challenged Scott, it may have more to do with his bench being challenged and standing up for his teammates rather than of his own volition. And for what its worth, I'd take Boogaard or Scott on the Bruins any day of the week.

Danny Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Did I seriously just see the name Ryan Parent thrown into the mix as a comparison to John Scott? I must be seeing things.
Guess what? Scott has one more goal than Parent this year. If that's what your going on.

Scott is more valuable as a tough, stay at defenseman that protects players.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote