HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

John Scott destroys Alexadre Bolduc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2010, 01:18 AM
  #76
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,568
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Bolduc was completely embarrassed. What was he thinking?

The Canucks have so many other guys who could have actually given Scott a challenge.
Like?

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 01:41 AM
  #77
Sawchuk
Registered User
 
Sawchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Like?
Vigneault himself might be in Scott's weight class...

In all seriousness, the best I could see done would be Shane O'Brien but he's been playing too well without taking penalties to risk him getting back into his tough guy ways (or beaten up for that matter).

Sawchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
  #78
FuzzyTitus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawchuk View Post
Vigneault himself might be in Scott's weight class...

In all seriousness, the best I could see done would be Shane O'Brien but he's been playing too well without taking penalties to risk him getting back into his tough guy ways (or beaten up for that matter).
The only reason people like Boogard and Scott can be effective is to provide what they have. Which is size. The Canucks don't have anyone in their size range to challenge them, which is why they don't fight them often.

In the past, Boogard has been scatched because he is such a liability defensively, where Scott can be more effective because he doesn't need such mobility. Boogard is terrible if he isn't fighting or hitting (if he can catch someone). To say they provide any help to win a game is false, and you can't make comparisons to others because they just aren't there. Boogard is a goon and that's all he can do.

Would a team sign one of these 2? Yup, because they are rare and just their size alone makes them somewhat valuable. These players are not full-time great NHLer's, just there for their size.

FuzzyTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
  #79
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind Scott on the Hawks next year as a 7th d-man.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
  #80
Teppo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthropyre View Post
The only reason people like Boogard and Scott can be effective is to provide what they have. Which is size. The Canucks don't have anyone in their size range to challenge them, which is why they don't fight them often.

In the past, Boogard has been scatched because he is such a liability defensively, where Scott can be more effective because he doesn't need such mobility. Boogard is terrible if he isn't fighting or hitting (if he can catch someone). To say they provide any help to win a game is false, and you can't make comparisons to others because they just aren't there. Boogard is a goon and that's all he can do.

Would a team sign one of these 2? Yup, because they are rare and just their size alone makes them somewhat valuable. These players are not full-time great NHLer's, just there for their size.
I am not understanding how the two highlited sentences can be in your argument and both be true?

I think it is fair to say tha Boogaard or an enforcer like him can't help win a game directly by producing offence, or preventing the other team's offence. Indirectly however, in some games, his presence allows more skilled players a better opportunity and more room to perform what they do best. That is why teams have, and will always have unskilled, tough guys.

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
  #81
aylib
User and abuser
 
aylib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stale ol' Hockey
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
No, most fighters can pop in 5-10+ goals a year. Boogaard and Scott have one goal between them in 250+ combined games.

There is no denying that Boogie is not a skilled NHLer. 200 games without a goal is no joke, but to say that most fighters pop in 5 to 10+ is a stretch, at least if you are talking about guys comparable to Boogie, ones that are willing to neutralize him by fighting him--other heavies.

There is probably about a dozen or so guys league-wide that will fight Boogie consistently: MacIntyre, Orr, Mcgrattan, Brashear, Belak, Parros, Laraque, Boulton, Carkner, Shelley, Godard, Koci, Cote, Stortini, Ivanans, maybe a couple of others.

Fighters, not players that will fight, but legit heavies whose primary role is to keep other heavies in check, ones that would square off with Boogie.
Which of them pop in 10+ goals a year?

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
  #82
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 500
None of them will. You know why? Because this guy has no clue what he's talking about and is really starting to make HFboards look like a joke as he is a part of the staff.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
  #83
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
None of them will. You know why? Because this guy has no clue what he's talking about and is really starting to make HFboards look like a joke as he is a part of the staff.
I concur.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 09:51 PM
  #84
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,798
vCash: 500
out of that list the only one I can see hitting 10 goals MAYBE is Stortini.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 10:51 PM
  #85
FROMSHORETOCHARA
Registered User
 
FROMSHORETOCHARA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Back in the bad old days - the 90's - terrible officials like kevin collins and even paul stewart used to make themselves the show and go OUT OF THEIR WAY - to interfer with and stop 2 willing combatants, even before a fight really started. To someone who likes a fight,like me, it was frustrating to watch.

Now though, the pendulem has gone to far the other way, this was a mismatch and that was clear early - they shold have jumped in as soon as that canuck on the bench started to try to interfer - if it was clear to him - it shold have been clear to official.

Someone is gonna get killed in a fight and then they are gonna take it out - nhl without fighitng is not nearly as good and would kill the gate. Small steps should be taken to make fighitng safer - occassionally breaking up a fight is one of those small steps.

Also, no one wants to get tossed but 3rd man in - not to join a fight but to stop a teamate from getting killed needs to happen more. If NHL suspended a guy for ismply jumping in - not escalating it but just grabbing hold and ending it - the NHLPA should defend that plsyer to a hilt. You can't let a slaughter like that go on.

Also, Bulduc isn't stupid - he is brave - he is literally risking his health to try and make a name for himself and support his family, brave not stupid.

Now the taking off the helmut...that was stupid.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
  #86
JerkChicken
Registered User
 
JerkChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Sound
Country: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 50
NO CLUE what Bolduc was thinking.

I mean, showing heart is one thing... but that was a disaster waiting to happen.

Not sure what Bolduc was trying to prove, but it may have ended his season by the looks of it.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:38 PM
  #87
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,742
vCash: 500
Sather better give John Scott a nice offer.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.