HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#46: Flyers @ Maple Leafs - January 14, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Now I'm just afraid to google it. I remember the video but... Was it the leafs game?

Yup.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:12 PM
BerubeBox*

OK i admit to being wrong. I still think that wasn't where the need for revenge came from. I forgot about the throat thing. But they wanted revenge because of the image of Kulemin going down, not the image of standard ****-talk.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Truth. Which is why I don't get this reasoning for "riding the hot goalie". We all knew that Leighton is a sub-par goalie. In my opinion he plays better the more starts he gets (meaning when he's allowed to be a starter), but he sometimes goes out of position to stop initial shots, he has bad rebounds, and his glove is sub-par. Even when he's playing well.

We all knew that the only reason he's been doing so well (for the most part) is because we've given him so much support. Seriously, how many games can you lose when you average about six goals a game? Let alone our defense supporting him fairly well. Why can't we also assume that our team would play equally well in front of Emery? It's not as much as a leap as saying that the only reason they're playing well in front of Leighton is because they're playing in front of Leighton.

As for those comments about waiving Boosh and keeping Leighton, well, I don't see why. You're just falling into the mentality of "what have you done for me lately?" if you really support that. We not only have Boosh signed for two years, but it's extremely fair to assume that Leighton will cool down and play even worse in a backup role. Hell, Leighton himself has admitted to playing better the more starts he gets.
Well, being hot is exactly why. He was winning games. They was he as doing it is irrelevant, he was doing it and that's why he got to play. Some coaches with questionable goalie situations sometimes put in a "win and you play" rotation.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:13 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Seems like Hartnell had a recurrence of the illness. Makes sense. For him to travel ill and be scratched, otherwise, would be odd.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...462&feedID=695
"another bout of the same"

Gross.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Where do you think the media ****storm started from?
Kulemin, multiple flyers dodging Orr, and this strange thing I just heard about.

I almost want to start a topic on it. Apparently Carcillo SAID something to their bench? The article I read talked about it like they knew what was said. But I never heard anything about it. Does anyone know exactly (or approximately) what he said?

I saw all the gestures he made, and of course I assume lots of nasty things are said at all times on the ice. But apparently it was something special that the media's aware of.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
OK i admit to being wrong. I still think that wasn't where the need for revenge came from. I forgot about the throat thing. But they wanted revenge because of the image of Kulemin going down, not the image of standard ****-talk.
It was that, showing up the bench after the goal (not even sure if they were the same thing), the metalhorns after he fought Mayers, and arguing with Keith Acton after the game.

Just one of those draws the ire of the other team. Put all 4 together and it's a whole different story.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Kulemin, multiple flyers dodging Orr, and this strange thing I just heard about.

I almost want to start a topic on it. Apparently Carcillo SAID something to their bench? The article I read talked about it like they knew what was said. But I never heard anything about it. Does anyone know exactly (or approximately) what he said?

Pierre McGuire probably does.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

If you're just finding out why this is all an issue, then you're kind of over your head blaming the media for something you're not even fully aware of.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Well, being hot is exactly why. He was winning games. They was he as doing it is irrelevant, he was doing it and that's why he got to play. Some coaches with questionable goalie situations sometimes put in a "win and you play" rotation.
Alright, I exaggerated a bit when I said that I don't understand the "play the hot goalie" mentality. It still doesn't make much sense to me though, so like I said before:

Quote:
We all knew that the only reason he's been doing so well (for the most part) is because we've given him so much support. Seriously, how many games can you lose when you average about six goals a game? Let alone our defense supporting him fairly well. Why can't we also assume that our team would play equally well in front of Emery? It's not as much as a leap as saying that the only reason they're playing well in front of Leighton is because they're playing in front of Leighton.

As for those comments about waiving Boosh and keeping Leighton, well, I don't see why. You're just falling into the mentality of "what have you done for me lately?" if you really support that. We not only have Boosh signed for two years, but it's extremely fair to assume that Leighton will cool down and play even worse in a backup role. Hell, Leighton himself has admitted to playing better the more starts he gets.
With that said I'll be surprised if we keep playing him. Emery's healthy, Boucher is healthy, Leighton has started a large amount of games straight (basically calling him the new starter), and he's give up at least three goals the last two games that I remember. He's no longer hot.

We started the year off 12-5 in front of Emery so there's no reason that we can't play well in front of him again, especially considering that most of us believe Emery to be better then Leighton.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Amateur Hour

Not sure if it was addressed and don't feel like combing through the whole thread, but what happened to Powe? I see he only played 4 minutes. Thanks in advance.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He hurt his elbow. He's fine.

No coincidence that it went south when he left the game

Old
01-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not sure if it was addressed and don't feel like combing through the whole thread, but what happened to Powe? I see he only played 4 minutes. Thanks in advance.
Upper body. The team says he is fine though. But, who knows.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Upper body. The team says he is fine though. But, who knows.
Whew, at least his dick is okay.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 11:27 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
If you're just finding out why this is all an issue, then you're kind of over your head blaming the media for something you're not even fully aware of.
Yeah probably over my head. Tell me, what was it that he said to their bench?

Old
01-14-2010, 11:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah probably over my head. Tell me, what was it that he said to their bench?
Whatever it was, his actions spoke louder since the league stepped in for the throatslash. Usually when you do that, it's some sort of variation of "I'll ****ing kill you."

Old
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Whatever it was, his actions spoke louder since the league stepped in for the throatslash. Usually when you do that, it's some sort of variation of "I'll ****ing kill you."
Hmm. I think you're right. "He had some choice words for the Leafs, the type of thing that is unforgettable." http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ch-with-flyers YUCK on thestar.com for being so melodramatic. It never occurred to me that could be what they were talking about. I pictured some other, verbal thing raging through the toronto media we just weren't privy to.

"Unforgettable". ****ing cornballs.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Keith Acton is a former Flyer goon/fighter himself, I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:42 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Keith Acton is a former Flyer goon/fighter himself, I'm sure that had something to do with it.
I thought that was interesting too and this is the first I've heard of that. He was one of my first heroes, before ricci podein etc. Would love if you have any details about that.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I thought that was interesting too and this is the first I've heard of that. He was one of my first heroes, before ricci podein etc. Would love if you have any details about that.
It's the same as what's been said, I think people can infer what they were yelling about. I don't think anyone has direct quotes, that kind of stuff is only seen and not heard.

Old
01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 70
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
I have his rookie card.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:20 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well that was quick of alot of people to jump off the Leighton bandwagon. Guy has arguably one bad game and people are allover him. Dont mind our offense not scoring one goal though.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well that was quick of alot of people to jump off the Leighton bandwagon. Guy has arguably one bad game and people are allover him. Dont mind our offense not scoring one goal though.
What bandwagon? The "play him till he's no longer winning/hot bandwagon"? Because he lost.

If you're trying to say that we should keep him as our starter then I don't know what to say to you.

I know you weren't referring to me when you posted that post, but I already said that before we blame anyone blames anything but the offense for this game they should look at the score-board.

We were riding Leighton until he lost. He lost. Both Emery and Boosh are healthy. Emery is our starter. We've played Leighton for how many straight now? Emery needs to be given the next start.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:32 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
What bandwagon? The "play him till he's no longer winning/hot bandwagon"? Because he lost.

If you're trying to say that we should keep him as our starter then I don't know what to say to you.

I know you weren't referring to me when you posted that post, but I already said that before we blame anyone blames anything but the offense for this game they should look at the score-board.

We were riding Leighton until he lost. He lost. Both Emery and Boosh are healthy. Emery is our starter. We've played Leighton for how many straight now? Emery needs to be given the next start.
That's what I wanted to say.

Old
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Well my words were definitely taken out of text. What I meant by that was that after every game, people here would complain about Leighton and how he sucks. He continued though to continue to win for us. I do believe in the "play the hot player" idea. I know alot here dont like that, but wouldnt you choose the guy who was winning us games (and playing over his head) over a player that is just coming back from an injury and might be rusty?

If you go back a few pages, you will see other people saying how Leighton sucked and how he finally was exposed as a terrible goalie (just a quick summary). I am just getting tired of this Leighton vs Boucher thing. Both are average and nothing else.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Whew, at least his dick is okay.
Well, it is Powe we are talking about. An upper body injury could mean that it isn't...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote