HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade rumors and proposals thread - 2010 yearly [s]slump[/s] mojo edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Urkie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Dude, Lee for Cogliano straight up would be a good deal for both sides as both players can probably use a change of scenery.
Adding in O'Brien who can still turn out to be a solid energy type player AND a second round pick is completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't mind overpaying for Whitney or Brunette, someone who can actually make an impact on the team, but as much as I like Cogliano, I really don't see him doing all that much more than Foligno or Regin.

Murray can do better.
Lee is not worth Cogliano even if he is struggling this year. Cogs has scored about 20 goals in each of the last 2 seasons and is a fairly established player. Lee has not established himself as an NHLer and he seems to be a guy our management is willing to part with. We'd definitely have to add something else to the deal if we wanted to get Cogliano.

Old
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Dude, Lee for Cogliano straight up would be a good deal for both sides as both players can probably use a change of scenery.
Adding in O'Brien who can still turn out to be a solid energy type player AND a second round pick is completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't mind overpaying for Whitney or Brunette, someone who can actually make an impact on the team, but as much as I like Cogliano, I really don't see him doing all that much more than Foligno or Regin.

Murray can do better.
Lee for Cogs straight up..really, that would be **** by Murray.

What has Lee proved at the NHL level compared to Cogs?

Of course Murray can do better, but remember, this is just a rumor that was purposed by a blogger.

Old
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Lee for Cogs straight up..really, that would be **** by Murray.

What has Lee proved at the NHL level compared to Cogs?

Of course Murray can do better, but remember, this is just a rumor that was purposed by a blogger.
He's proven that he's already a good NHL defenseman. Say it with me: "2-way contract".

Old
01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He's proven that he's already a good NHL defenseman. Say it with me: "2-way contract".
I understand the situation he is in. But if you read all of what I said, you would understand. I said compared to Cogs.

Old
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
I would like us to get Cogliano for Lee and O'Brien without a 2nd round pick, but that's probably wishful thinking from a Sens POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
What good would Cogliano do? I thought we were looking to add offense to this team. He'd be 18th on the team in points, behind everyone's favorite Jonathon Cheechoo.

O'Brien is probably just a throw-in, as he doesn't have much value right now. It will be a few years before he makes the NHL, if at all.
Maybe we plan on winning more shootouts? To be fair, Cogliano has been playing with Moreau and Stortini (IIRC) all season on the 4th line. That's why he is not producing. He is actually out of flavor for the coaching staff in Edmonton…

It is what I’d do with Cogliano aboard :

Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Cogliano-Regin-Shannon
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

Look at the speed on the first 3 lines and particulary on that 3rd line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Would you guys trade Foligno for Chorney, Nash and 2nd ? or would that be a huge overpayment by Oilers?
Watch out before using some logic here

This trade proposal (because it's not an official trade) seems to be good for both teams. Both Lee and Cogliano seems like young players needing a change of scenery and probably out of future plans of their respective teams. O'Brien is a bust for now but Oilers could take a chance on him. A 2nd is for the difference between Cogliano and Lee upside/value... I wish it was a 3rd or a 4th though because we have been good with our 2nds lately...

How I see it :

Cogliano : best player in the trade

Lee : 60% of Cogliano’s value
O’Brien : 15% of Cogliano’s value
Pick : 25% of Cogliano’s value. That’s why it’s gotta be a 3rd or 4th pick, or something else has to come from Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Come on...if you could get Cogliano who has speed that kills and is coming off back-to-back 18 goal seasons, you wouldn't sent Lee and O'Brien? I would drive them to the airport. Lee is nothing to the Sens with Cowen, Wiercioch and now Karlsson coming up. He was nothing special in the first place. O'Brien was a favourite of mine for a while, but I'll take the speed of a 22 year old forward over him. The O'Briens of the NHL world should be taken in round 4, not round 1.
I'm coming with you. And good point, I don’t see O’Brien and Lee in our future plans, might as well trade them for a young forward with upside, something we need to add at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
...There will always be risks, especially when exchanging a couple young, once highly sought after kids. But imo the reward that Cogliano potentially could offer in this case far outweighs the risk of throwing around some spare parts.
Good post. Bolded part QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
I like it.

O'Brien isn't an NHLer and doesn't project to be a star by any stretch, so he's not a big loss. Every team has prospects like him - even if he turns into something it's worth the risk.

Lee, whether he's an NHLer or not, won't be on this team. If we're not going to use him, we need to trade him.

Draft picks are overrated. Give me the NHLer any day of the week.
I see it a bit like that. It’s a bit of a quantity for quality deal

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old
01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
I understand the situation he is in. But if you read all of what I said, you would understand. I said compared to Cogs.
I still think Lee and Cogliano have pretty comparable value. Cogliano really isn't anything special and I see him as a tweener for most of his career. I think Lee will be an above average 2nd pairing D.

Old
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Alright than fine, if Lee hasn't proved himself enough yet to warrant a straight 1 for 1 deal, than throw in O'Brien (one of our weaker prospects) OR second round pick, definitely NOT both.

But really, if the Oilers wanna deal Cogliano and have any interest whatsoever in Lee than this deal really shouldn't be that hard to complete. That's if they're even talking of course...

Old
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Let's say we do trade for Cogs. I'd give O'Brien and a 3rd maybe. Even though the organization doesn't seem to act like it, I think Lee fits into our future. Wiercoch and Cowen are a year or more from being NHL ready. Lee provides a cheap and capable blueliner in the meantime. I'd much prefer him to Picard or Campoli.

Old
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
Let's say we do trade for Cogs. I'd give O'Brien and a 3rd maybe. Even though the organization doesn't seem to act like it, I think Lee fits into our future. Wiercoch and Cowen are a year or more from being NHL ready. Lee provides a cheap and capable blueliner in the meantime. I'd much prefer him to Picard or Campoli.
I know, this seems like a no-brainer! Wanna go drop off a resume at SBP?

Old
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
trobby

"Rumor" my butt...I proposed this days ago!

Garioch just tweeked what I started with. Lee, O'Brien and a 2nd for Cogs is laughable. NO WAY BM would do this.

I hope a trade of Lee and a 2nd (or 3rd) for Cogs goes through for TWO reasons.

1. To feed my ego, and make me the smartest "insider" on the net.
2. To add more speed to our team. Ever since the NEW NHL came along, we started losing a lot of our much needed speed (and skill). Lee will nothing but a bottom pairing, that won't live up to his potential.

Old
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Wow...didn't see this yet, just got home, this would be awesome for Ottawa...done!

Old
01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
So maybe instead of trading Lee, we call him up? The guys on our defense sure aren't getting it done. I don't really see what Picard or Campoli can do that Lee can't.

Old
01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

If Cogliano is so damn good why does Edmonton want to get rid of him? Why do they have him playing on their 4th line? Cheechoo had 56 goals a few yrs ago & look at him today, not to say that could happen to Cogs but there must be more to this than what we know about Cogliano & Edmonton. Is it just Quinn doesn't like him?

Xspyrit after trading Lee & O'Brien you have Cogs playing on the 3rd line, is that what a 3rd liner is worth, two 1st rounders? So far I have read that this guy as had two 18 goal seasons, two 19 goal seasons & two 20 goal seasons, it keeps going up. He would be a nice addition but not worth all that. What's Dustin Penner worth?

Old
01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
neutral zone trap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
If Cogliano is so damn good why does Edmonton want to get rid of him? Why do they have him playing on their 4th line? Cheechoo had 56 goals a few yrs ago & look at him today, not to say that could happen to Cogs but there must be more to this than what we know about Cogliano & Edmonton. Is it just Quinn doesn't like him?

Xspyrit after trading Lee & O'Brien you have Cogs playing on the 3rd line, is that what a 3rd liner is worth, two 1st rounders? So far I have read that this guy as had two 18 goal seasons, two 19 goal seasons & two 20 goal seasons, it keeps going up. He would be a nice addition but not worth all that. What's Dustin Penner worth?
Brian Lee does not have the value of a 1st Round pick. Once you have played this long where you were drafted doesnt affect your value this much. Today is Chris Gratton worth a 4th overall pick? Is Bryan Berard worth the 1st pick? No. If you want more recent, is Brule worth a 6th pick or is Pouliot worth a 4th pick? No

Old
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral zone trap13 View Post
Brian Lee does not have the value of a 1st Round pick. Once you have played this long where you were drafted doesnt affect your value this much. Today is Chris Gratton worth a 4th overall pick? Is Bryan Berard worth the 1st pick? No. If you want more recent, is Brule worth a 6th pick or is Pouliot worth a 4th pick? No
Terrible comparisons. Pouliott was worth Latendress another 1st rounder. Berard lost a good portion of his vision & almost lost his eye which dropped his value. Gratton, that's your comparison, Gratton today, what is he 35 yrs old? Brule I'll give you, he was being compared with Crosby in his draft yr. Unlike most I still think that Lee will be a good NHL hockey player & IMO if it weren't for Karlsson & Murray's pick up of Campolli last yr he would be playing in Ottawa but because he has a two way contract he is in Bingo, most here know that. My point was that we were giving away too many assets for a guy who might end up playing on our 3rd line & so far this season Cogs hasn't been scoring albeit likely due to playing on the 4th line. But why have the coaches placed him on the 4th line most of the season if he is this high scoring winger especially considering Edmonton isn't doing very well so far this season.

Last edited by aragorn: 01-12-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old
01-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Northern Neighbour

While I think the rumoured deal is a bit of an overpayment, Lee's and O'Brien's values are extremely low right now. All Sens fans would agree that O'Brien hasn't shown anything to be considered a marginal NHL player right now and his potential is quite limited. Lee still has a decent upside, but people disagree whether he could be a 2nd-pairing or bottom-pairing defenceman.

Cogliano's value has decreased this year, but he has a higher upside IMO. He would be a nice addition to the team, adding more speed and skill. Hopefully the rumour isn't 100% accurate, where the draft pick is lower than a 2nd or that the Oilers are also adding a pick to the mix (4th or 5th round pick).

Old
01-12-2010, 07:48 PM
HSF

i think around Lee + O'Brein + 3rd is fair value for Cogliano

Lets not forget that Lee and O'Brien havent proven anything in the NHL while Cogs has therefore this is a "risky" trade for Edm which is why a pick could be involved.

I would probably do it, a 22 year old with nice hands and sick speed would be a nice addition for the present and future

Old
01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Northern Neighbour

Maybe Murray could convince Tambellini to take a few of the many pluggers the Sens have. The Sens desperately need to acquire more youth, speed, and skill upfront.

Old
01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
crayzy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I would like us to get Cogliano for Lee and O'Brien without a 2nd round pick, but that's probably wishful thinking from a Sens POV.

Maybe we plan on winning more shootouts? To be fair, Cogliano has been playing with Moreau and Stortini (IIRC) all season on the 4th line. That's why he is not prudcing. He is actually out of flavor for the coaching staff in Edmonton…

It is what I’d do with Cogliano aboard :

Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Cogliano-Regin-Shannon
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

Look at the speed on the first 3 lines and particulary on that 3rd line

Watch out before using some logic here

This trade proposal (because it's not an official trade) seems to be good for both teams. Both Lee and Cogliano seems like young players needing a change of scenery and probably out of future plans of their respective teams. O'Brien is a bust for now but Oilers could take a chance on him. A 2nd is for the difference between Cogliano and Lee upside/value... I wish it was a 3rd or a 4th though because we have been good with our 2nds lately...

How I see it :

Cogliano : best player in the trade

Lee : 60% of Cogliano’s value
O’Brien : 15% of Cogliano’s value
Pick : 25% of Cogliano’s value. That’s why it’s gotta be a 3rd or 4th pick, or something else has to come from Edmonton

I'm coming with you. And good point, I don’t see O’Brien and Lee in our future plans, might as well trade them for a young forward with upside, something we need to add at the moment

Good post. Bolded part QFT

I see it a bit like that. It’s a bit of a quantity for quality deal
Out of curisoity, how do you base your percentages?

Old
01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Midas0
Only the best Scouts

Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Cogliano-Regin-Shannon
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

like xspirit said, that 3rd line would be really speedy, and Regin and Cog both have a lot of potential as they are both young. hell, shannon's even pretty young.

i think that line up sounds tasty

Old
01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter0 View Post
Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev
Cogliano-Regin-Shannon
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

like xspirit said, that 3rd line would be really speedy, and Regin and Cog both have a lot of potential as they are both young. hell, shannon's even pretty young.

i think that line up sounds tasty
That isn't any better than what we have right now. And you would have just given players away to get there.

Old
01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
So maybe instead of trading Lee, we call him up? The guys on our defense sure aren't getting it done. I don't really see what Picard or Campoli can do that Lee can't.
I guess my idea was too outside the box. He must be traded then.

Old
01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Huet in offseason?

Would Ottawa have any interest in Huet in the offseason?

His salary is too great with our upcoming cap troubles and Niemi is our goalie of future.

Huet for Leclaire in offseason?

The Hawks could then buyout Leclaire at a reasonable cap hit for us (1.2 +)

Old
01-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Leclaire is struggling right now. I don't think anyone is ready to give up on him yet.

Old
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Indrew

Nobody wants Huet with that contract.

Closed Thread